*DISCONTINUED* Rares List Guide (1 March 2019)

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

What would you personally like to see done with the Rares List?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:15 am

1. Maintain - keep the Rares List the same but update pet values.
11%
2. Restructure - vote on ways to majorly update, restructure or rebuild the Rares List.
40%
3. Retire - discontinue the list and stop updating it.
44%
4. Undecided - don't know but show me the poll results
4%

Total votes : 1731

Re: "The" Rares List Guide *UR FOAL POLL* VOTE!!

Postby houndoom » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:13 am

if we are reasoning our votes i voted coontail tier as a middle ground between demand (obviously poor since i rarely see the foal pull more than 1 non) and rarity. i didnt pick the lowest available tier since i dont think that quite reflects reality, and instead opted for the next one! idk if this makes sense.

Xxxx
lance | they/them
───────────────────────────
it's all we need to get better!
fr | bestie | sig art credit
houndoom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lucky333123 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:23 am

I choose the UR Aussie tier because I felt like Coontail was a bit too much. If there was an option inbetween, I would have chosen that one.

I really like how people are giving their opinions on why they choose specific options and people just asking questions in general <3
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
──────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────────────

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

┌────────────┐

If you need any help, feel
free to ask ^.^ dates matter
I am a holibomber!
I have gifted _60_ people.
I have received _35_ gifts.

└────────────┘
┌────────────┐

└────────────┘
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
▐░█
lucky333123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Animall » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:29 am

I chose the Aussie tier because it’s rarity change aligned most with that tier, although I believe the Aussie should be moved to the non tier. I align it’s value more with the pets on that tier that aren’t the Aussie.

Edit:
I think our poll worked out really well!!! Everyone is communicating and it makes it so much easier to understand where everyone is coming from!!! So exciting.

Do you laugh about me whenever I leave?
Or do I still need more therapy?
(fake out)

↞ infj ⎯ she/her ⎯ adult user ↠

trade thread
auction thread

ImageImageImage
Animall

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jinbad » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:39 am

lucky333123 wrote:I choose the UR Aussie tier because I felt like Coontail was a bit too much. If there was an option inbetween, I would have chosen that one.

I really like how people are giving their opinions on why they choose specific options and people just asking questions in general <3

(new poster here, but i do stalk this thread a lot)

I would have gone with an option in-between as well. Ultimately though, I went for the UR Aussie tier. I went with the Coontail tier for a while, which was due to how much I saw of the UR Foal as opposed to how much I saw of pets on the UR Aussie tier, but I realized that all those pets I saw on that tier WAS the UR Aussie. I also feel iffy about the value the Coontail tier would bring, so ultimately I went with the UR Aussie tier. I see it as much as I see other pets on that tier that isn't the UR Aussie.

I agree with bringing the UR Aussie down. I see it a lot compared to other pets on it's tier but as I don't look into the amount of list pets on the site perhaps I could be wrong in basing my opinions on what I see, especially since I could be looking in an area that differs from other areas.

Perhaps my opinion on this will change overtime and I'll go back to the Coontail tier depending on how much of the pets I see, but for now I'm going with the UR Aussie tier. I want to look into things further.
on hiatus~
jinbad

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby UR Kob » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:45 am

Animall wrote:Because its extremely difficult to trade at all without a base to work with. Trading without the list was god awful back then because we had no idea what pets were more/less valuable. This guide is a guesstimate, which means its not official -- but it gives the community something to work with. Without the list we wouldnt know that a sorbet is worth less than a sunback, because then we would only be working with rarity tags and demand.

It is becoming more accurate as time progresses because we are focusing on rarity more than demand now, and changing placements of pets by moving them up/down depending on rarity, circulation, and (some) demand.

Yeeeeeeeee, I understand it's not official and the different implications the status of "not official" entails. But I'm asking another dumb question so I'm sorry. And this could be answered by anyone ^o^ What is different when comparing 2008 VRs with other 2008 VRs vs 2009 VRs with other 2009 VRs, other than the method in which they came out? Is it because of the influx of people?

Also why is it that pets that turn VR later are valued less than those that have been VR since the beginning? Especially if many years since the turning of VR have already passed? I semi-brought up the Evil PPS and Good/Ice PPS a while ago on the only time ive ever posted on this thread (though i stalk) and was really thankful for the info provided, it helped a lot in my understanding. It wasn't on the list because it wasn't VR at the time. Cool cool, no qualms! :thumbup: But it has been 5 years since it finally turned VR and it hasn't changed. What is keeping it from the list? Lesser demand because it isn't on the list? I'm just wondering because 5 years is a heckin long time in the life span of a website and the littermate is on the list D': I'm just trying to understand eveen more is all ^o^

LLHBBB wrote:
Animall wrote:Well you got me there, LLHBBB.
Regardless, the list still provides a standard of trading for the community and makes it easier because it provides a sense of agreement within the community. With the rarity list things will become more clear.

I agree with you and use the list myself and glad it's here. Just trying to see things from their prospective.

Thank you for trying to see things from another perspective LLHBBB!

nickjr wrote:--kobiee's cut--
I can't speak about what happened later on. But that's how the List started, I think. It was just supposed to be a guide that reflected what people were already doing in the trade market. (Note that I wasn't a participant in the List creation and barely knew about it. I wasn't even an active List trader, although I was an active forum poster and a fairly active non-List trader. This information is from what I remember as an average under-the-radar user in 2008 and 2009 as well as what I read in the original discussion. I was also inactive for most of 2010 and 2011; by the time I came back, the List resembled its current form more than its original form.)

This has been nickjr's crash course on the origins of the List thank you for viewing
--kobiee's cut--

Thank you so much for this thorough response nickjr! I greatly appreciate the length you went to explain this, and this is the kind of response I was hoping to get. Thank you. I believe it might be good to put a link to your post on the front page because honestly, I don't think this kind of CS history is common knowledge and it would definitely clear up at least a little in the confusion of the philosophy of the list (especially for new members who will potentially blindly look at the list without understanding the context). I'm older now than I was 8 years ago thus my natural instinct is to question things, that's all! ^-^

I'm curious nickjr, you said you were a non-list trader at some point. Why is that? Are you still a non-list trader? If not, why did you start list trading? What changed for you? O:

-----

I know we're working towards new things, and correcting the list and that takes time. I'm grateful for everyone who continously works on the list to make it a better place until the rarity list hopefully replaces this one. I wish I had the time to help! @.@ Because it has been 8 years, things have changed of course. The list has changed and the community has changed. But I can't help but believe that the only reason the List is "the List" is because it was made up back then when there was an influx of people with no re-releases. Its hard to explain, I can't quite put it to words/gather all the thoughts rattling in my brain so I'm sorry if some of this is all over the place or is obvious to all. I just wanted to ask some questions and say some stuff cause I've kept it in qq All I know is I pretty much had all the list pets on my wishlist back then because they were labeled as list. Now I don't because I have certain pets and designs I like ^o^

In response to the poll, I voted for the Aussie Tier for the reasons others stated. I was also close to choosing the coontail tier though, especially since thats beeen struggling with OMGSR status vs VR status. The UR Foal is OMGSR and is thus, inherently rarer. Perhaps I will change my vote with more thought within the week. The note someone made about bad demand makes sense, but since we're working towards rarity I feel like we shouldnt do that? D: IDK I think it's common knowledge/easy to pick up on that in general people value horses less, but maybe that isn't common knowledge to newer members? I dont have a solution for this asdfghjklkjhgfdsdfghjkl

ive edited a few times because grammar i keep finding oml
Pet's name: Bean
UR Kob

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ElementalInsanity » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:00 am

Hi guys. I had someone send this to me who wishes to remain anon:

I voted sunjewel because to me since we don’t know which OMGSR is worth more rarity wise than others, they all should be equal and at the top of the list. They are all going to be at the top for the rarity list so why not start now. Using demand will just continue to make this an inaccurate list for people to use. It should be up to the user to decide demand value, not the list. You are basically allowing the few to decide value based on demand for the many.
Image Image
Not active, won’t reply to pms/trades.
10/08/22 <3
Complete Collection Achieved 9/11/18
If you are foed you may still send me a pm
ElementalInsanity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:44 am

@ UR xKobiee

Glad my post helped :D oh gee if that thing gets linked on the front page I kinda want to clean it up and make sure I didn't miss anything LOL

I don't want to ramble about myself so I'm going to try to make this brief:
> I grew from a kid with all the free time in the world into an adult with negative free time lol
> I've never really been a List trader mostly because I've never really had List pets I'd like to trade (except for maybe less than a handful of Advents in recent-ish years) for a..... really wide variety of reasons
> The List didn't exist in 2009, so some of my trades in 2009 would be considered List trades today because they involved Advent 2008 pets, but I still wasn't doing what would be considered Main List or September List trades today
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shinryu » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:15 am

I was torn between the aussie and coontail tiers.
    In the end, I think I agree the most with what alina said, that the coontail and the aussie could be moved down a bit.
    I'm perfectly fine with placing the foal on the same tier as the phoenix and the cinnabun (I ended end up settling for the coontail tier, but honestly it was a narrow decision), but I do feel like the aussie and the coontail could both stand to be moved down to the ur lion tier.

Don't really have anything to say that hasn't already been said, but figured I'd throw this in as a post to make my vote known.

[ formerly ZEL ] [ they/he ] [ Germany ]      And what of you, my mirror?      [PCE] [FR]
                           currently mostly inactive
Shinryu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ElementalInsanity » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:31 am

It’s been brought up before and I honestly think it would be a good idea to sometime discuss merging some of the tiers. Getting rid of of the ur Lion and peach tier, maybe merging the spotted tribal with the one above it since there isn’t a huge difference between the two, looking at some others we can merge.
Image Image
10/08/22 <3
ElementalInsanity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ElementalInsanity » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:33 am

I voted for Plains Zebra tier because almost all pets above it have been OMG since the 2013 rarity overhaul (moonswirl was VR first) and since we don't know where the UR Foal sits on the OMG spectrum, I opted for the lower end. I know we're trying to remove demand from the list but I feel my vote acknowledges the rarity of the pet fairly while realizing that it doesn't go for sunjewels and likely won't.

Thanks for posting on my behalf since I'd like to remain anonymous!
Image Image
10/08/22 <3
ElementalInsanity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups