*DISCONTINUED* Rares List Guide (1 March 2019)

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

What would you personally like to see done with the Rares List?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:15 am

1. Maintain - keep the Rares List the same but update pet values.
11%
2. Restructure - vote on ways to majorly update, restructure or rebuild the Rares List.
40%
3. Retire - discontinue the list and stop updating it.
44%
4. Undecided - don't know but show me the poll results
4%

Total votes : 1731

Re: "The" Rares List Guide *New* UR Peach Poll! Vote!

Postby nickjr » Sat May 26, 2018 12:04 pm

Saw some spots that I wanted to clean up real quick:

July Lioness (2012) came out Rare and only turned VR in 2013 (but yeah, the August (E)PPS Lion was VR from the start, interesting case...)

Raven went VR in late 2011* and from what I understand, it was placed alongside the Patchwork because the Raven's demand 'balanced' its greater supply

(so I imagine it went something like this:

Patchwork -> this much supply [VR], neutral demand, let's place it on x tier
Raven, compared to the Patchwork, has greater supply [R] that would lower its tier but it has higher demand that would raise it back up.... let's put it on the same tier as the Patchwork)

The post that Crestalia linked earlier (I'm bouncing in my seat eagerly, btw) has a filtered timeline of when certain pets went VR

* can also use this link to find that the Tier 7 Advent 2008 dogs went VR in early 2011, and yes that includes the Black Advent--so... remind me how many Tier 7 advents a high September is worth? the BA is not significantly rarer than its buddies from the same litter at Tier 7, but demand and lower circulation numbers (more likely to be kept or hoarded, therefore less likely to be trade fodder compared to its littermates) kicked its placement up to a spot that's worth 7??? of its buddies...

------------------------------------------

Does anyone remember that one suggestion a while back that was like combining rarity and demand, but only shifting pets based on demand within certain rarity groups? (e.g. so that the OMGSR pet with the worst demand would still be placed higher than the VR pet with the most absurdly sky-high demand)

The current list is like that, except the rarity groups aren't marked and there's basically one rarity group per litter or even per pet (and the rarity group is usually eyeballed by active traders based on how many they find for trade and how many they see people posting about in certain threads) and the rarity groups also overlap. ahaha...

so that's why we keep saying "no we're not moving the BA/Raven up any further"--because they already hit their limits in their rarity groups, which... weren't explicitly marked
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mozzy. » Sat May 26, 2018 2:04 pm

Adding to the BA & Raven talk:

BA:
The first Advent Dog to turn very rare was the B&W Border Collie 1st March 2011, same time as the Watermelon Green October.
Most of the other Advents turned VR a little under a month later, on the 27th of March; Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=189990&p=11405189&hilit=advent#p11405159
The Advents that stayed rare were these; Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=189990&p=11405599&hilit=advent#p11405599

So technically speaking the B&W Border Collie is rarer than the rest of them, including the BA and BMD.

Raven:
Patchwork was rare upon release and turned VR 28th March 2011; Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=189990&hilit=ba&start=910#p11439739

Raven was rare upon release and turned VR 1st November 2011; Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=189990&hilit=raven&start=4210#p22097720

Patchwork is rarer because it turned VR 5-6 months before the Raven, but the Raven has the higher demand for being a popular design.
moz | female | aedt | mozzy#1556
Mozzy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pigeon - » Thu May 31, 2018 5:29 am

not sure if it will be too useful, as the other trader wanted to hoard the zonkey,
but at the time i valued the zonkey at 2 nons, and the liontial set & skelebun at a non each

2017-12-27

pigeon -

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ElementalInsanity » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:57 am

Going to quickly post:
I’ve been pretty busy myself, and currently have not received any more offers on my skelebun other than the ones I’ve posted. Does anyone want to volunteer to go through this thread/other threads to compile a list of what we have so far of offers and trades for the skelebun?
Image Image
Not active, won’t reply to pms/trades.
10/08/22 <3
Complete Collection Achieved 9/11/18
If you are foed you may still send me a pm
ElementalInsanity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kee; » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:17 am

I completely forgot about posting offers I’ve teceived on my skelebun, so unfortunately I don’t have many handy. I do have one though.
    6/5/18
    They were willing to trade their side for:
    “the cerb set or
    the UR cat+ cinnabun
    coontail + cinnabun
    skelebun”
    Meaning one of the things they would have traded their side for was my skelebun, ignoring the other pets on my side.

-kee
𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑, 𝐀𝐍𝐀𝐊𝐈𝐍.
leo | she/her | athlete
american | vegetarian
𝐘𝐎𝐔.─────
song of the week:
with every wish by bruce springsteen
kee;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby odin » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:57 am

I've never understood people that say "a 2017 rare is not worth an 2009 rare". Like the '09 rare is rarer? That '09 rare probably started as uncommon and is now a rare. Most newer rares are rare upon release, meaning they never were uncommon and therefore, theoretically, more rare than the '09 rare. PLUS, you have the re-releases which add more older rares every year, sometimes making those older rares uncommon again for a while, while the newer rares, even if they do get re-released, tend to stay rare. Would that not make the newer rare... more rare than an older one?

Kinda same with some of the VRs people keep bringing up. Like the purple PPS lion. It was VR from release, and even though it has been re-released, it's still VR. It's never been rare. So why isn't it "rare enough" to be on the Advent list? With dogs that were just rare until 2011?

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

odin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zillywair » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:55 am

odin wrote:I've never understood people that say "a 2017 rare is not worth an 2009 rare". Like the '09 rare is rarer? That '09 rare probably started as uncommon and is now a rare. Most newer rares are rare upon release, meaning they never were uncommon and therefore, theoretically, more rare than the '09 rare. PLUS, you have the re-releases which add more older rares every year, sometimes making those older rares uncommon again for a while, while the newer rares, even if they do get re-released, tend to stay rare. Would that not make the newer rare... more rare than an older one?

Kinda same with some of the VRs people keep bringing up. Like the purple PPS lion. It was VR from release, and even though it has been re-released, it's still VR. It's never been rare. So why isn't it "rare enough" to be on the Advent list? With dogs that were just rare until 2011?

older rares/pets are automatically more rare because less people have them. lots of people leave every month and some probably dont give their pets away because they just forget about the game. theres not a way to get those pets, so there are less of those pets that are being traded
name maya / jade
pronouns she / her
sexuality birom ace
always open for trades.
looking for wl pets.
trade fairly bitte sehr

characters i id with:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
zillywair

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby odin » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:10 am

hamsterchan wrote:
odin wrote:I've never understood people that say "a 2017 rare is not worth an 2009 rare". Like the '09 rare is rarer? That '09 rare probably started as uncommon and is now a rare. Most newer rares are rare upon release, meaning they never were uncommon and therefore, theoretically, more rare than the '09 rare. PLUS, you have the re-releases which add more older rares every year, sometimes making those older rares uncommon again for a while, while the newer rares, even if they do get re-released, tend to stay rare. Would that not make the newer rare... more rare than an older one?

older rares/pets are automatically more rare because less people have them. lots of people leave every month and some probably dont give their pets away because they just forget about the game. theres not a way to get those pets, so there are less of those pets that are being traded

Not really, that's why they have re-releases, to get more of the older pets out there that might not be for trade anymore because they are on accounts that aren't being used anymore.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

odin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Takk » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:25 am

It's just a trading guide a lot of people follow. Truly, there isn't much difference at all between an '09 rare and '17 rare aside from the fact that '09 pet has been rare longer
As Nick explained, it's measured as X pets per user (1/100 butterbuns per user = common for example). So rarity is much more accurate than before, as opposed to four years ago. People still believe date matters tho, 3 month rule, etc. since it use to be a better way of measuring rarity gaps in the past when rarity wasn't as well measured I think
(certain pets are hard to come by I will say; some people may want more for an '10 uncommon cos they'll hoping it'll be rare someday? can't really speak for others)
Quitting CS, looking to sell Lists and Store pets for art
Takk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DaDwarf » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:36 am

The biggest difference is availability. There are more 2017 rares in trade groups up for grabs then there are 2009 rares. That's why they aren't worth the same, the re-release might put more into supply but not more into circulation because those might find their forever homes a lot faster then some other pets. Also, the rarity scales are very very large. an 09 rare might be close to the very rare gap (like, just 5 copies short of going VR) while an 2017 rare might be very close to the uncommon gap (like, 5 copies too few to be uncommon). That on it's own also is a very large jump in rarity. So while technically the same rarity, they aren't really worth the same. I generally don't agree with the 'an 09 rare is worth 5 billion 2018 rares' thing that goes around but they aren't worth the same either.

Good example is event rares. During the event, very hard to get. After the event, you can literally find em everywhere and trade for them usually for far cheaper. They are hard to get at the beginning of an event but the supply grows and the people looking for one lessens so there's more available for trading.

So in short, dates matter because:
Availability (how many copies are uft Vs how many copies aren't (the more not uft, the harder it is to get))
Demand (The older the 'harder' to find because A) people perceive as more valuable and B) less 'floating' around in trade groups)
Supply (short supply when released, is offset by rerelease but not enough to fill everybody's collection(hence the rarity tag ''rare")(all the rerelease has to do is release enough pets to keep the pet in it's rarity category. so say a pet is just 1 pet into VR, all the rerelease has to do is release 2 pets for it to bump back down to rare. I imagine in 'maintaining' a rarity it also works like this. in keeping something in it's exact position of rarity, all the rerelease has to do is release just enough pets to balance the number of people who joined vs the rarity. so that may be 1 pet, 20 pets or 2000 pets, depending on the numbers. That doesn't really spike the supply much to the point where a lot are released to say they are worth the same as a newer rarer that people could adopt themselves. It wouldn't release more pets then the natural growth of the site so pets stay as rare as they were regardless of how many users joining. at least that's my take on it.)
Circulation (How many have found their forever homes and are thus offmarket VS how many get passed around ("worthless" like for example tess horses and warrior cats used to be until they suddenly went rare or sometimes even recent event rares that everybody could adopt generous amounts of.))

Let me add that this is generally speaking and there are several examples of pets that break this rule by actually being harder to get and less in circulation then others so closer to 09's in rarity. the majority however is not, and since we don't get another rarity that could split up 'rare' (while tbh we should) we can't really for certain say which pet is and isn't closer to VR or closer to uncommon.
DaDwarf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me