What do you think about hoards?

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Opinions on hoarding

I support it!
40%
I dont support it!
7%
I'm neutral
16%
Only if it's with non-valuable pets
38%

Total votes : 369

Re: What do you think about hoards?

Postby Sentinels » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:56 am

-snip- wrote:It's ironic to me how seemingly no one complains about custom ooak pets only being given to certain special people, but then we have this moral debate arguing over the average user collecting a pet in which there are hundreds if not thousands available!

Well, that’s probably because the average player was never supposed to get them anyway. They are given out as rewards for people who directly help the site, or as gifts. It’s like having a custom plushie for yourself made.

I don’t care what people do and how they hoard, it’s their pets they traded for after all. I would say a bigger issue than hoarding is the trading system and how we value pets in general. Like other people on this thread I am iffy with rare+ hoards but there are many circumstances that people might end up with a rare or over hoard (like others have said, rarity updates and pets jumping in value) I do appreciate hoarders who understand how their hoards might affect the CS economy and I also appreciate hoarders who will occasionally allow a pet from their hoard to be traded.
✦ 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕾𝖔𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖎 𝖜𝖎𝖑𝖑 𝖗𝖊𝖎𝖌𝖓 𝖘𝖚𝖕𝖗𝖊𝖒𝖊.
NA: Solestelle | Sol ⋆ artist
Sentinels

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Umalia » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:01 am

Hoards are fine. I have hoards from before, though I'll likely disband a couple, and will likely hoard again. It's just another way to play.

I think the reason people are little salty about the hoarding of rarer pets is a symptom of all the trading problems on the site. It's easy to think that it is something that effects worth inflation of pets, but I honestly don't think super rare hoards are a major factor at all.

Someone who is hoarding a pet would be well versed in their worth and would be less likely to overpay. Afterall, they too have to work at getting those super valuable pets. Truthfully, people looking for "dreamies" are the ones more likely to overpay for a pet and unintentionally inflate the price. And there are far, far more dreamie seekers than hoarders. Vast majority of hoarders stick to more common pets, anyway.

When I was active years ago I think I remember one person hoarding Shima Longtails? I don't remember any other super rare hoards, and with all the watching of the trade forum I've been doing the past few days I've not seen one either. Not that they don't exist, but there are clearly not many out there.

In contrast, I could throw a stone and find 5 people looking for super rare valuable pets either to complete collections or because they're dreamies. Unless a hoarder has been at it for a very long time (and most likely offsite trade or sell art), they probably don't have 5 of that pet.
If you see me on here too much, feel free to PM me and demand I get back to work! Thank you!
Umalia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spacekkng » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:30 am

Im neutral, but I do have opinions.

For reference: My definition of a hoard would be 10+ of the same pet collected and held onto for an extended amount of time with no plan to ever trade those pets out.

I don’t currently have or want to hoard any specific pet. I did have a small “hoard” of the Valentine’s Day lions from 2013, I started hoarding them before I knew their rarity with a goal of 100. I believe I collected around 20-30(?) before I fell off CS and didn’t come back till 2023. Those pets are now all extremely uncommon (I believe) so I disbanded the hoard and the extras are all for trade.

I have to commend those above who did the same when their hoards jumped to a higher rarity level, especially if it happened as you were actively looking to grow your hoard. Y’all are cool.

I guess what my main thought is, most of the members with a large hoard of omgsr-rare now has either 1: really overpaid for each pet or 2: started hoarding them when they were lower value. If you’re part of group 2, you’re likely an adult now and I think it’s kinda stinky to hold tight on those pets. Especially if your hoard is a massive collection of one high value pet. I couldn’t do it, I’m an adult and the idea that some other user (especially a younger user) couldn’t complete their goals or obtain their favorite pet because I’ve decided I should have a group of 20+ omgsr pixels makes me feel gross.

I feel the same way about people asking crazy amounts for high value pets. Like, it’s just a game, it has no value outside of CS.
—-

**If I’ve come across as too much of a butt in this message please know I mean no harm to anyone. I’m neurodivergent and have a hard time expressing things. If you have a large hoard of high rarity pets I don’t think any less of you and believe you should be able to do what you like. These are just my opinions, it doesn’t make me any better than those who don’t share the same views.

╔═══════════════════════════╗
♛. Discord .Art Shop ♛
♛ DeviantArtToyHouse ♛
╚═══════════════════════════╝

"Never be cruel. Never be cowardly.
Hate is always foolish. Love is always wise.
Always try to be nice, but never fail to be
kind" -The 12th Doctor
Married to Zamello
PMs are always open.

✦ Obsessed with Space ✦
✦ Adult Player ✦
✦ Cat Person ✦
✦ Graphic Design Freelancer ✦
Spacekkng

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wired » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:01 pm

Whoops, I voted too quickly. I meant to say “only with non-valuable pets.”
I think it’s one thing if a hoard appreciates over time, but VR-OMGSR hoards just feel kind of unfair, especially if the person isn’t willing to trade out of their hoard at all. I’m not saying it’s immoral or anything, but just a little eh to me. People can do what they want and I’m not gonna get angry with them over something so minuscule, just my two cents.

I used to hoard myself but I’m thinking of retiring some of my hoards. It’s too much work to both hoard and go after my dreamies at the same time, so I’m thinking maybe I’ll pick it back up again in the future after I get back into the groove of trading again. I used to have really big hoard aspirations like getting 2000 pets in one hoard… I ended up overpaying a lot for some of my hoard pets because I was so fixated on this goal and I just don’t want to do that anymore. I still think that hoarding is really cool though. It’s impressive when someone can collect so much.
She/her adult
PM me if inactive

Wired

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Arerona~ » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:28 pm

Honestly, I support all hoards... but then again they are literally just pixels so it shouldn't be a huge deal.

I have a ton of hoards and would hoard UR Bengals if I could but don't have that kind of time nor the patience for it. It took me long enough to get my shima LT and malk smile hoard where they are..
~Arerona~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Alola Stitch! » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:31 pm

I support hoards :3 I love hoarding only one animal which is the 2013 Rare Halloween Dog :3 Besides I love helping others with their hoards I mostly only collect items and the dogs :3. Just my opinion not here to start any wars on here I just love to hoard pets and I'm huge Pokemon hoarder to XD I collect Riolu/Lucario and I do share them though
Alola Stitch!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueEyedKite » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:02 am

I don't really care for hoards. I am sure it's a play style thing. I personally have a philanthropist take on CS. If I have an extra pet it's open for the trade market. Shoot, nowadays if I have rare pets that don't have much demand I give those away to random users who have them wishlisted. I can't really imagine holding onto copies of pets that are valuable when they could be in the trade economy. I hope the machine that is the trading scene keeps turning, ya know? I can understand some users who have it all and get bored decide to collect hard to find pets for a challenge, but me personally, I'd find another way to challenge myself. Sometimes I wish I had a huge hoard of like 09 pets because then I could make it rain free pets. Create an adoption center that gives out those hoard pets, lol, sounds fun right? Alas.
BlueEyedKite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cottoncat » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:30 pm

I support hoards. For me they are pretty much the only way to play the game because full collections are very out of reach. Picking a pet and trying to get more of that one pet is possible while completing a collection is not as possible.

I don't think I would personally have the time or patience for an extremely valuable hoard but I do have a few hoards of rares. One turned rare while I already had it. The others are smaller hoards and/or of more recent rares.

I will admit I sometimes feel a little frustrated when I see a dreamy in a hoard, but then I remember I could probably trade for one someone gets as a dec 18th pet this year. Its not like hoarders can immediately snatch every single one that is generated and even if they do so this year, there is next year too. Young kids are probably less patient than I am though XD.
Signature
Cottoncat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me