Trade rules: Your opinion

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Re: Trade rules: Your opinion

Postby tawnypelt3 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:36 pm

I would like to point out that I do not have a "bitter" or in any way negative attitude towards trading or people or whatever. So there's no point in maintaining the "you" that appears in abundance in your post.

What I do have a negative attitude toward is people judging others for something that they don't have the right to judge about. If someone wants to not be social, then they can not be social. That is their choice. Trying to make it seem like they're somehow losing out on whatever other traders have to offer is unfair to them. Not everyone is out for a lot of trades or even particularly cares for trading. Not getting a trade does not equate to losing out, it equates to nothing happening.

Point is, let people be the way they want to be. If they want to sound negative or, gasp, entirely neutral, then step off and take it as it is rather than nitpicking about how they must hardly get any trades because omg their trade rules don't sound bubbly. There's a huge difference between "omg i foe you if you do anything wrong!!!" and a neutral statement of "I only want rares and up."

People need to realize that neutrality is not bad or angry or intimidating. It simply is.
I was hacked. Not going to remake all my groups and such unless I feel like it. That's a lotta work. Don't bother with trades, everything's a mess.

Need: Image
Will offer reasonable overpay.
Note to self:
Reduce idiot level.
tawnypelt3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:59 pm

Except her point was, you're not being neutral tawny. You're being mean and stating that you don't have a "bitter" attitude is not really helping your situation.
I suggest you go re-read your own post and tell me you'd be perfectly okay if someone said that to you.

It might mean something in other parts of the country, but anytime someone says "newsflash" it's always meant as a condescending insult: you care so little for the other person's argument that you need to point out how stupid they're being.

Please, tell me you think that someone stating that you're wrong and your issue is "not their problem" and "too bad for you" is perfectly okay and does not insult you in any way. I might be wrong.

Yes, this whole discussion is about judging. I'm not sure where or why you think it's not. What current post is not a judgement, really?
So far we've established that code words aren't helpful, stories do not help, locked groups make trading difficult and people who use all caps or excessively negative rules are difficult to trade with.

So tone it down a little please?
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yatsan-kun » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:33 pm

This is a social site. It has forums, you have to interact to get the pets you want, and a bitter attitude isn't going to gain you anything.

Well, even if it has forums, we are here to make it a friendly place for everyone to be comfortable. When I was younger, I was afraid of posting on the forums, and there wasn't anything social in this site for me.
Also I don't think there's anything bad in trading only for certain pets. Maybe they just have everything else, and do not need less common pets ;) Maybe they have a friend or two with whom the do the swaps.
They just stop random trades from flowing, to prevent some misunderstandings and maybe even arguments. No need to be upset about it, really.

A short story doesn't bother me, but putting your Shima and BMD and Raven and Tiger dog on the page does. I've been on the site for 6 months, okay? I'm not up to the lists yet, and I don't need your 6 years on the site rubbing in my nose.

Eh, I don't see the problem? Some of the mascots of the "Adopt" section are older pets. And you really can't avoid seeing a moonswirl/Shima(oh here it comes again)/raven/toxic or other list pets on CS. They have a right to like their older pets and post them in their rules if they like.
I used to have a toxic(my achieved dreamy) in my rules, and didn't hear any complaints 'bout it. It's just a picture, nothing more. Everybody was once a newbie, who couldn't trade for rares/older pets. I'm member since 09, I still don't have many list pets. Nothing wrong with this :/

And as for the stories in the trade rules... I really don't like that. I know here is a nice RP section here on forums, and there are many creative people, but... Maybe you just don't have to make me read tons of text just to trade with you? Maybe I don't want to go on a virtual journey to some Magic forest/riverbank/etc. I want to trade, not to roleplay or read a story, if I ever feel the urge to do it, I'll go to the forums.

And now the codewords. Almost every time with story-rules I miss the codewords (which I also do not like!!). No, I try to read everything carefully, but I find only 1/2, or 1/3 of them, and then my (usually just a fair swap) trade gets canceled with a message like "Arghhht!! Read my rules! The codeword was a ZeBrA, not a WoLf". Seriously, if you really want to see your codeword in a trade, highlight it somehow.
I really can't see the point in codewords. Many people just don't read/follow the rules, no matter codeword or no codeword. And you can always tell, if someone has or has not read your rules, can't you?
Yatsan-kun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby I♫dream♪in♬harmonies » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:38 am

tawnypelt3 wrote:
Erbium Racat wrote:6. I only trade list pets. I don't want any omgsc-rares floating around my trades! How horrible! Look, for newish players like myself you're basically blocking yourself off from trading with you. You're just not being social and it make the site less fun.

Horrible? Really. It is everyone's choice to decide what kind of pets they put up for trade. If they don't want to trade anything below rare or whatever, that is their right. It is wrong for you to judge people on that. And newsflash, they don't have to be "social." It's not their problem if you're disappointed with their trade rules. They are not obligated to make the site "fun" for you. They owe you nothing. If you don't have any pets that meet the criteria for trading with them, then that's not their fault and too bad for you.

Okay, whoa, back up little here. I'm sorry if I offended you, but you don't need to get back at me so rudely :/
Anyway, I must've phrased this badly (as I said at the bottom of the message) because what I mean was having the whole section, including 'How horrible!' as part of what the rules would be saying. I'm not saying that I think it's horrible, I just think it's annoying and sort of antisocial :3 It's certainly their choice what kind of pet the put uft, and i don't have any problem with that. Yes, it's their right. But they're also blocking themselves from trading with anyone even remotely new (if they only are trading listies, they're probably relatively high on the list at this point) and it makes the site less fun for them, too. If they refuse to trade with anyone new, then chances are anyone new won't communicate with them and they'll only have communication with the 'elite' players of CS, thus making the site less fun for everyone.

Syn wrote:
tawnypelt3 wrote:
Erbium Racat wrote:6. I only trade list pets. I don't want any omgsc-rares floating around my trades! How horrible! Look, for newish players like myself you're basically blocking yourself off from trading with you. You're just not being social and it make the site less fun.

Horrible? Really. It is everyone's choice to decide what kind of pets they put up for trade. If they don't want to trade anything below rare or whatever, that is their right. It is wrong for you to judge people on that. And newsflash, they don't have to be "social." It's not their problem if you're disappointed with their trade rules. They are not obligated to make the site "fun" for you. They owe you nothing. If you don't have any pets that meet the criteria for trading with them, then that's not their fault and too bad for you.

No need for the harsh tone. While you're right and we're under no obligation to make this place 'fun' for anyone you're wrong about being 'social'. This is a social site. It has forums, you have to interact to get the pets you want, and a bitter attitude isn't going to gain you anything. Newbies are unsure of themselves and if you'd rather not trade with them, that's fine. If you only want rare pets, that's fine too. But I guess you really don't want monthly swaps from those newbies, they sure won't offer you any. They're not going to offer pets for hoards or collections you've missed if you're intimidating them out of it.

The long and short of it is it's all in how you word things. You can politely tell folks that you normally only swap for rare and very rare pets, that you're not very interested in common pets. Or you can not and hope that 'older' players who can cater to your tastes choose to do so. It comes back to what I said earlier about difficult and easy to trade people, you're more likely to get trades if you appear that you're easier to deal with.

Wonderful post; I definitely agree with what you say here. In a way, I sort of meant that it makes it less fun for those blocking themselves off, too.

Shian wrote:Except her point was, you're not being neutral tawny. You're being mean and stating that you don't have a "bitter" attitude is not really helping your situation.
I suggest you go re-read your own post and tell me you'd be perfectly okay if someone said that to you.

It might mean something in other parts of the country, but anytime someone says "newsflash" it's always meant as a condescending insult: you care so little for the other person's argument that you need to point out how stupid they're being.

Please, tell me you think that someone stating that you're wrong and your issue is "not their problem" and "too bad for you" is perfectly okay and does not insult you in any way. I might be wrong.

Yes, this whole discussion is about judging. I'm not sure where or why you think it's not. What current post is not a judgement, really?
So far we've established that code words aren't helpful, stories do not help, locked groups make trading difficult and people who use all caps or excessively negative rules are difficult to trade with.

So tone it down a little please?

Thanks shian! I appreciate your post <3
Last edited by I♫dream♪in♬harmonies on Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Agent Mulder on July 15, 1947 10:13, edited 1 time in total
Reason: I want to believe.

Quitting! Click for free stuff!
I♫dream♪in♬harmonies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby I♫dream♪in♬harmonies » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:11 am

up

I♫dream♪in♬harmonies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby I♫dream♪in♬harmonies » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:20 am

Yatsan-kun wrote:-snip-
Also I don't think there's anything bad in trading only for certain pets. Maybe they just have everything else, and do not need less common pets ;) Maybe they have a friend or two with whom the do the swaps.
They just stop random trades from flowing, to prevent some misunderstandings and maybe even arguments. No need to be upset about it, really.

As multiple people have said~ it's really about how you phrase things. I think it's fine just to lock the groups, but leaving them unlocked and saying that you ONLY want list swaps is a little annoying :3

Eh, I don't see the problem? Some of the mascots of the "Adopt" section are older pets. And you really can't avoid seeing a moonswirl/Shima(oh here it comes again)/raven/toxic or other list pets on CS. They have a right to like their older pets and post them in their rules if they like.
I used to have a toxic(my achieved dreamy) in my rules, and didn't hear any complaints 'bout it. It's just a picture, nothing more. Everybody was once a newbie, who couldn't trade for rares/older pets. I'm member since 09, I still don't have many list pets. Nothing wrong with this :/

Right, I don't have a problem with seeing them- I just have a problem with someone putting up a picture in their trade rules, especially if the name is "RAVEN DOG <3 <3 <3 NEEEEFT DO NOT OFFER" and having the 'story' say "Hello I am Raven first of all DO NOT OFFER ON ME OR I WILL REPORT AND FOE now then lets continue walking thru this magical forest fairyland :D" Putting it up with a kind message saying 'The Shima, my achieved dreamie!" in your signature is okay with me ^^ Just trade rules aren't really the place for that, in my opinion.

Also, about codewords: So basically, either you have
A. Rules that are basically the same as everyone else's
or
B. Rules that have some different tweak and are slightly unusual.
So if it's A, then there isn't really a point in having a codeword because anyone would know to follow those rules anyway.
And if it's B, you'd be able to tell really obviously if they didn't read them because you had the unusual thingy so a codeword is pointless.

Is there anyone who has a codeword here who could explain their reasoning? I'm not going to shoot you down, I'm just interested to hear.

(omg CS has 'hot pink' as a set color XDD quote me so you can see the BBCode, it's awesome cx))

I♫dream♪in♬harmonies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yatsan-kun » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:41 am

As multiple people have said~ it's really about how you phrase things. I think it's fine just to lock the groups, but leaving them unlocked and saying that you ONLY want list swaps is a little annoying :3

I agree, a lot depends on how you put it. For me the threats of foeing seem a wee bit rude sometimes, especially in all caps.
But the thing with locked groups... Well, I think it would really some people off trading. I mean, I usually don't look through all the user's pet collection, now when we have all whishlist pets highlighted. So, if everything is locked, I won't even see them or know that they do exist :lol:
Yup, I'm busy lazy.

Just trade rules aren't really the place for that, in my opinion.

Agreed, but sometimes it's tempting to insert a nice picture as an epigraph.

Btw, pictures. I like seeing one or two, but when all the rules are pictures, especially gifs, it's getting hard to browse.
And visual aspect brings me to the following: font colours! Toxic colours. And small text. Very hard to read sometimes. I don't like being forced to copy all the text into my text redactor to just read it, but sometimes it's unavoidable.
Bright pink is okay, but this green,this cayan and this one yellow are not
Yatsan-kun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby I♫dream♪in♬harmonies » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:51 am

-snip-
Btw, pictures. I like seeing one or two, but when all the rules are pictures, especially gifs, it's getting hard to browse.
And visual aspect brings me to the following: font colours! Toxic colours. And small text. Very hard to read sometimes. I don't like being forced to copy all the text into my text redactor to just read it, but sometimes it's unavoidable.
Bright pink is okay, but this green,this cayan and this one yellow are not

Ikr >.< I don't have any problem with colors making it look nice, but those insanely bright blues, greens, yellows et cetera (isn't it funny how I spell out 'et cetera' yet not 'i know right'?) are just... gah.

I♫dream♪in♬harmonies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me