The Spanish Club ~ All levels welcome!

Discussion in other languages - Deutsch • Español • Français • Italiano • Nederlands • Polski • Русский • Svenska • 日本語 • 中文

Re: The Spanish Club ~ All levels welcome!

Postby Jinchuuriki » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:03 pm

Princess Nishea wrote:Gracias so much for the critique, and the one you want me to translate is supposed to say
"Hello, I just want to tell everyone to have a good day.
I recently got a rare winged orange and black dog from the pound so my day has been good."

Also, it has indeed been a bit weird to pretty much have to put "the" before so many words, which is probably why I forgot LOL. :lol:

Well, this is long, so... you said "Hola, yo sólo quiero a cuento todos a tengas un buen dia.".
From your own translation, it should have been "Hola, sólo quiero deciros/desearos a todos un buen dia." Deciros/desearos... because you dont tell people to have a good day, you wish them a good day, right? Same in spanish. "Deciros" is if you mean to tell, "desearos" if you mean to wish.
And "cuento" you went for the present form of tell, I tell, in spanish. The problem is, "quiero a cuento" kinda means "want a story" and that falls pretty far from the original "want to tell". Cuento either means a story, or as a verb, to count (also kinda like tell, but not exactly, hard to explain xD)

You think having to use so many "the" is a problem? I dont care, I dont care, I dont care! I already speak spanish :P
Nah, now seriously, when you start touching the second meanings, the "the" tsunami will be nothing but a dream xD
Jinchuuriki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Princess Nishea » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:34 pm

Jinchuuriki wrote:
Princess Nishea wrote:Gracias so much for the critique, and the one you want me to translate is supposed to say
I recently got a rare winged orange and black dog from the pound so my day has been good."

Also, it has indeed been a bit weird to pretty much have to put "the" before so many words, which is probably why I forgot LOL. :lol:

Well, this is long, so... you said "Hola, yo sólo quiero a cuento todos a tengas un buen dia.".
From your own translation, it should have been "Hola, sólo quiero deciros/desearos a todos un buen dia." Deciros/desearos... because you dont tell people to have a good day, you wish them a good day, right? Same in spanish. "Deciros" is if you mean to tell, "desearos" if you mean to wish.
And "cuento" you went for the present form of tell, I tell, in spanish. The problem is, "quiero a cuento" kinda means "want a story" and that falls pretty far from the original "want to tell". Cuento either means a story, or as a verb, to count (also kinda like tell, but not exactly, hard to explain xD)

You think having to use so many "the" is a problem? I dont care, I dont care, I dont care! I already speak spanish :P
Nah, now seriously, when you start touching the second meanings, the "the" tsunami will be nothing but a dream xD

Thanks again for the critique/info!
You have been very helpful! (^~^)
What I've taken away is that maybe I need to take into account the meaning of words and phrases a bit more then their literal translations, and I want to know what you mean by second meanings but I'm too scared to ask. :lol:

Lastly, all in all using "the" so much is so strange to me because say I want to eat an apple and wanted someone to pass it to me.
In english I would just say "can you give me a apple", but in spanish I would have to say "puedes te das un la manzana", which when translated back to english (and if I'm correct) means "can you give me a the apple." :lol:

Princess Nishea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jinchuuriki » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:43 am

Princess Nishea wrote:
Jinchuuriki wrote:

Thanks again for the critique/info!
You have been very helpful! (^~^)
What I've taken away is that maybe I need to take into account the meaning of words and phrases a bit more then their literal translations, and I want to know what you mean by second meanings but I'm too scared to ask. :lol:

Lastly, all in all using "the" so much is so strange to me because say I want to eat an apple and wanted someone to pass it to me.
In english I would just say "can you give me a apple", but in spanish I would have to say "puedes te das un la manzana", which when translated back to english (and if I'm correct) means "can you give me a the apple." :lol:

Yup I would recomend wordreference.com, since it helps me a lot xD
By second meanings I mean that we can say for example "Te voy a dar una torta". Well, in spanish, from spain, a "torta" is some kind of cookie, just a bit different, but I think it classifies as cookie. So my phrase means "Im going to give you a cookie".
But at the same time, it has a second meaning. It also means "Im going to slap you" since we also call a slap a "torta". So you can guess one is good, the other not as good.
Plus, if you move from spain to latin america, you will find that a "torta" is a cake, althought Im not sure if its also a slap there xD

The problem here is if you use google translate, and webs like those. They dont really take the sentence into account to find the best meaning for each word, so it ends not being spanish, and not being english either. The best way to do it, and the best way to learn, is to translate word by word with a dictionary instead od using google. The one I said before, wordreference, you can put the word you want there, and it will tell you several words with that meaning, depending on what you want to say.

From that same example you used, in english you said "can you give me an apple?". With that much info, I can guess there are more than one, or else you would have said, "can you pass me the apple?".
Starting from there, "an apple" as in one apple, would be "una manzana" (un + female).
So you wouldnt be using "the" here. It would end as "puedes darme una manzana?" (dar + first person, darme. Second person would be darte, third persob would be darle... its weird xD)

So, using "The". Can you pass me the apple? Can you give me the apple?
Así que, usando "La". Puedes pasarme la manzana? Puedes darme la manzana?

If you arent lost yet in all the text I wrote, in those last two sentences you can see that it makes a bit of sense, is almost the same xD
Jinchuuriki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mooney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:52 am

¡hola! me llamo turtle (pero no es mi nombre real, haha) y he practicado español por tres años ahora. soy de Noruega, así que opino que español es un poco dificil. pero tengo un padrastra que es de Francia, y francés es un poco como español. creo que es más fácil porque sé un poco francés!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
izzy , she/they
norway , adult
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mooney

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jinchuuriki » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:13 am

turtle... wrote:
    ¡hola! me llamo turtle (pero no es mi nombre real, haha) y he practicado español por tres años ahora. soy de Noruega, así que opino que español es un poco dificil. pero tengo un padrastra que es de Francia, y francés es un poco como español. creo que es más fácil porque sé un poco francés!

Would be a bit weird to be called turtle, I would have some questions about my parents xD
"he practicado español por tres años ahora" I get you mean "I have practiced spanish for three years now" but that translation so... it can be correct, but "por tres años" and "ahora" sounds bad together to me. I would say "Llevo practicando español (ya) tres años". The "ya" would be optional, but I think it would give it the meaning that "now" adds to.your phrase.

Also, "Español es un poco difici"l is correct but to me at least, sounds more correct as "El español es un poco dificil". Why? Because the way you say it sounds like spanish is hard, as in a class, same you could say IT is hard, or maths is hard, or economics. But in the one I said, I am saying only the language.

Next would be "padrastra". Either it is "padrastro", meaning the husband of your mother (or a rebel nail xD) or it is "madrastra", meaning the wife of your father. I suppose you mean the first one, but since I dont know you, I cant know xD

"frances es un poco como español" same as before, "el francés es un poco como el español".

And I can agree, it is easier to learn spanish from french since lots of its words have simmilar sounds and are writting almost the same xD
You just had minor problems, I suppose that simmilar to my english xD
Jinchuuriki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mooney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:43 am

Jinchuuriki wrote:
turtle... wrote:

Would be a bit weird to be called turtle, I would have some questions about my parents xD
"he practicado español por tres años ahora" I get you mean "I have practiced spanish for three years now" but that translation so... it can be correct, but "por tres años" and "ahora" sounds bad together to me. I would say "Llevo practicando español (ya) tres años". The "ya" would be optional, but I think it would give it the meaning that "now" adds to.your phrase.

Also, "Español es un poco difici"l is correct but to me at least, sounds more correct as "El español es un poco dificil". Why? Because the way you say it sounds like spanish is hard, as in a class, same you could say IT is hard, or maths is hard, or economics. But in the one I said, I am saying only the language.

Next would be "padrastra". Either it is "padrastro", meaning the husband of your mother (or a rebel nail xD) or it is "madrastra", meaning the wife of your father. I suppose you mean the first one, but since I dont know you, I cant know xD

"frances es un poco como español" same as before, "el francés es un poco como el español".

And I can agree, it is easier to learn spanish from french since lots of its words have simmilar sounds and are writting almost the same xD
You just had minor problems, I suppose that simmilar to my english xD

thank you for your feedback hahah ^^; appreciate it!

and yes I did mean to write padrastro - guess I was writing too quickly for my mind to work out whether that is feminine or masculine! though, when you say "llevo practicando" what exactly does that mean..? is that the verb llevar?

not used to putting "the" in front of everything, but our teachers say Spanish people love to do that, hahah. guess that's something I gotta get used to as well :o

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
izzy , she/they
norway , adult
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mooney

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jinchuuriki » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:09 am

turtle... wrote:
    thank you for your feedback hahah ^^; appreciate it!

and yes I did mean to write padrastro - guess I was writing too quickly for my mind to work out whether that is feminine or masculine! though, when you say "llevo practicando" what exactly does that mean..? is that the verb llevar?

not used to putting "the" in front of everything, but our teachers say Spanish people love to do that, hahah. guess that's something I gotta get used to as well :o

No problem, Im bored, so I help here if I can xD

I hope that never happens to you with the one you love! Imagine calling your girlfriend he, or your boyfriend she, you could end in the hospital! xD
Yes, it is the verb "llevar", first person in present form if Im not wrong (that is my weak point, the forms xD).
Means to carry, as in to carry a bag, but also can be used for time as a "I have been", like in llevo tres años intentandolo, that would mean "I have been trying it for three years".

So your teachers say that, uh? I hope they like baseball, because Im going to pay them a visit! Nah, just kidding xD
Its just, that it feels better, our "the" links everything together and without it you cant make sense of what the other person is saying xD
Jinchuuriki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kiyomice » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:08 am

I saw a Spanish store today and read the sign "Bienvenidos" and was trying to read the rest, I got so distracted I almost ran into the car in front of me :P
Kiyomice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spotted.Newt » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:48 am

¡Hola! Soy Spotted, a veces visito este grupo. Voy a visitar un país hispanohablante en el futuro acercaba, y quiero hablar español con más frecuencia antes de yo lo visito. ¿Hay una persona que habla el español (la lengua primera) que quiere hablar con me un poco cada día?
ImageImage
ImageImage

"Love like I'm not scared,
Give when it's not fair,
Live life for another,
Take time for a brother,
Fight for the weak ones,
Speak out for freedom,
Find faith in the battle,
Stand tall but above it all,
Fix my eyes on You.
~For King & Country

I am also known as Griffin.Song.
Spotted.Newt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jinchuuriki » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:27 am

Kiyomice wrote:I saw a Spanish store today and read the sign "Bienvenidos" and was trying to read the rest, I got so distracted I almost ran into the car in front of me :P

*grabs paper fan*
You... you...
*hits head*
Either stop and read or forget and continue! xD
My brother damaged the back door of a car because he was running looking back and hit it with his knee and mouth. It could have been expensive, but we were lucky the owner wanted to trash it xD

Spotted.Newt wrote:¡Hola! Soy Spotted, a veces visito este grupo. Voy a visitar un país hispanohablante en el futuro acercaba, y quiero hablar español con más frecuencia antes de yo lo visito. ¿Hay una persona que habla el español (la lengua primera) que quiere hablar con me un poco cada día?

That would be me, I suppose. I have been spaniard since I was born, almost 25 years ago, so I suppose I am your man xD
Now, your errors :P

"en el futuro acercaba" is wrong, you mean in the near future, right? That would be "en el futuro cercano.
"antes de yo lo visito" you mean before I visit it, or before I go, so you should say "antes de visitarlo" (visitar + lo = visit = it) or "antes de que (yo, you can omit it) lo visite".
And finally, "con me" you mean with me, that in spanish is "conmigo".

My english is not that great, but I hope everyone reading this thread can understand what I try to explain xD
Jinchuuriki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me