Updates to the pound!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: Updates to the pound!

Postby ButterflyChaser » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:53 pm

I keep returning to, the release of pets per page needs to be drawn out far longer. Maybe even add pauses in between pages or something. Maybe for the pauses, have something like "We need time to gather more pets, please come pack in x minutes to come again) and then release another few rares after that.

In my opinion, the pound, even on events, should never be closed in the first 2 to 5 minutes of opening. It doesn't need to be open for hours, but the window of time to adopt a pet I feel should be a full 15 to 30 minutes to get something rare to extremely uncommon and 40 to 50 minutes to adopt common pets. By drawing out the process, this slows down the rush within the first 50 seconds of opening and forces people to wait longer. It is also a hope that this will spare some server load and prevent a lag or at least even traffic out.

This time was so extreme that I clicked, waited, there was no sign of the page refreshing. I had to hit the menu on mobile to go back to the pound to reload the page, just to see 90% of the pets were already taken. Then try again, have that repeat.

On the 4th refresh had 140 pets left, clicked a common and then got "There is a problem with the pound, please go back and try again" then found again a page full of taken pets. Refreshed again and there were only 14 left. Refreshed again and all but two were taken.

(I have a large computer screen, so I bolded text of the points I feel more strongly about so they don't get lost in the rest of the paragraph)
Looking for: Halloween 2019 pets. I have tokens but missed the trade in times due to no internet access the end of October.
ButterflyChaser

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Juliamon » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:53 pm

Much as it pains me to say it as the most frequent recorder in the pound rarity odds thread... I think a large part of the problem is that users can see what's in there before it opens. It doesn't feel like a coincidence that the laggiest pound since the update had an UR Fox in it; with people already on the site to banner hunt, there was less chance of people getting distracted and missing it, especially knowing there was potential to hit a big jackpot. And the lag started a full 20 seconds BEFORE it opened!

Relatedly, with the September Rarity Update the quantity of OMGSRs in the pound has gone up significantly. I don't think I'd ever even seen one in the pound prior to the update! So the pound has likely seen more popularity due to that.

I agree that the rares should be drip-fed much longer than they currently are, but I don't think that alone will help with the lag, which is honestly the bigger issue since it affects the *entire* site and not just the subset of users watching the pound like hawks. Perhaps during events the pound should be EUC and below (including unknown) only, which I suggest only because what I *actually* think should be done is switch it to L&F only and the unfun-ness of that outweights the benefits imo.
she/they, adult
Juliamon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ZerukYT » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:02 am

WHAT THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA i allways refresh and i mostly miss pets bcz..... idk ig my wifi not that good x] i came back to cs at a good time huh-
Image[/url]
ZerukYT

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlingBling » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:34 pm

Juliamon wrote:Much as it pains me to say it as the most frequent recorder in the pound rarity odds thread... I think a large part of the problem is that users can see what's in there before it opens. It doesn't feel like a coincidence that the laggiest pound since the update had an UR Fox in it; with people already on the site to banner hunt, there was less chance of people getting distracted and missing it, especially knowing there was potential to hit a big jackpot. And the lag started a full 20 seconds BEFORE it opened!

Relatedly, with the September Rarity Update the quantity of OMGSRs in the pound has gone up significantly. I don't think I'd ever even seen one in the pound prior to the update! So the pound has likely seen more popularity due to that.

I agree that the rares should be drip-fed much longer than they currently are, but I don't think that alone will help with the lag, which is honestly the bigger issue since it affects the *entire* site and not just the subset of users watching the pound like hawks. Perhaps during events the pound should be EUC and below (including unknown) only, which I suggest only because what I *actually* think should be done is switch it to L&F only and the unfun-ness of that outweights the benefits imo.

It wasn't the UR Fox (and anyway, we've had the chance to preview the pound for years now! There was a 3 OMGSR pound without lag) as this pound only had ER and less but was equally laggy. I really think the issue is CS isn't bothering to keep the server strong enough for the Easter refreshing paired with the pound refreshing

Shawol - Monbebe - Carat - Insomnia
BlingBling

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby RockaGal » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:36 pm

Sorry to say that the new pound is very laggy and the pets are taken all the time so I cannot even get a pet. Needs addressing or it is a bug with the new pound still? Need more rare pets over more pages as not enough for everyone to even get one still so no different to prev pound issues that were mentioned that this update was supposed to address. Sad as thought it would be improved but hope this feedback will be taken and used to make the pound better. Looks like others are also having the same bugs and problems with this new pound. I agree with others about it needing more rare pets over a longer time span too to give more people the chance at a rare pet or at least an extremely uncommon.
Go Sandslash!

:) Please don't be shy, I like looking at new trades :)
RockaGal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ACat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:38 pm

I implore you to do something about the horrendous lag that's been happening recently with the Easter event happening during the pound openings. Yes, it's good to have rares on refreshes, but it's no help if the page takes 10+ seconds to load to begin with :<
A lot of people have brought it up and it seems to be being ignored at present.
ACat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pauline97 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:38 pm

Really disappointed with this update. I tried 5 different pets this time and each one was already gone in the two seconds I tried to click. Refreshing took so long. And in the end I didn't end up being able to adopt a pet at all. I never had problems with the adoption page before this, but the update really made a fun part of the site frustrating.
pauline97

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wintersham » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:39 pm

I love the concept of this update, I came in super late and saw a 2016 pet. My problem right now is that since this update, I haven’t been able to snag a single pet. Not even a common/recent release pet. The lag is way too intense and by the time the page loads, all the pets are taken. Even trying to refresh is a huge strain when I never usually struggle with this website. I think more pets need to be released during the pound’s opening now. Especially since this event is happening.
Hello!!

I'm always down for swaps - trades - rare trades!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wintersham

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MishaChu » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:44 pm

I hate to be a downer for this thread, maybe it's just been me and my notoriously bad luck but this new update to the pound hasn't really benefited me. The times where I was a little bit late a pound opening there was already few pets available that the rarest I only ever ended up getting was a few uncommons (but honestly its somewhat of a silver lining! Much better than nothing but omgsc to common pets). Finally caught the pound opening this time around and it was incredibly laggy, not even in just trying to reclaim a pet but also reloading as well and it made me feel like a lot of stuff was already being taken before I even had the opportunity to even look at it. I just felt super disappointed especially with how promising this updated sounded, I do hope the lag does get addressed and fixed!
"𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖎𝖗𝖉 𝖔𝖋 𝕳𝖊𝖗𝖒𝖊𝖘 𝖎𝖘 𝖒𝖞 𝖓𝖆𝖒𝖊..."
ImageImageImageImage
MishaChu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ButterflyChaser » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:51 pm

Just to illustrate how bad this problem actually is, keep in mind I am in the Midwest USA. The changeover is 7pm for my area (given daylight savings time is observed).

The posts about finding pound pets started 7:31pm. My attached screenshot is from 7:32pm. It isn't the first page I landed on, but it is close enough. By 7:33 the last pet was adopted.

Before this update I typically got at least a common or very common, but now the last few openings I've been left completely empty handed.
First was on my phone. The second is on my computer, which is generally fast enough to snipe some rares on occasion. The only thing against me was I was not present when the 10 second countdown happened, but given how fast everything went, I would probably still have gotten nothing.
Attachments
Pound closing in a single minute.jpg
Opening to 16 pets or less is within 60 seconds
Pound closing in a single minute.jpg (286.85 KiB) Viewed 173 times
Looking for: Halloween 2019 pets. I have tokens but missed the trade in times due to no internet access the end of October.
ButterflyChaser

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me