COMMUNITY POLL: Rare Monthly Pets

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

What is your opinion on releasing rare pets in monthly releases?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:59 am

I am not interested in any litters having significantly harder to achieve outcomes.
10%
I am interested in a few litters a year that have a significantly harder to achieve outcome.
41%
I am interested in at least one litter a month that has a significantly harder to achieve outcome.
30%
I am only interested in occasional significantly harder to achieve outcomes if they are considered “special release” pets and look different from the litter they are released with.
19%

Total votes : 5954

Re: COMMUNITY POLL: Rare Monthly Pets

Postby Liliette » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:01 am

odin wrote:
Liliette wrote:
odin wrote:TBH, I'm curious as to how it'd help newbies (per the main post). Once pets start growing and one outcome seems rarer, people will flock to the newbies and just ninja them out of the nice rare pet they adopted.

It would help newbies…by giving them rare pets early onto playing cs instead of waiting for an event. You can’t ninja a new monthly growing pet that nobody knows the rarity of until a month/after it’s fully grown. People think a certain pet “seems rarer” and it turns out it’s just as common, that’s not a reliable source. To my understanding ninjaing is basically sending an overpay trade and hoping they accept. Whether that be because they don’t care about fairness, value designs more, are willing to overpay, or don’t know whatever CS calculus is going on rn. What pet would they be trading in exchange to ninja someone? It would have to be an older pet….so that would be a fair trade right?

Aside from having numerous places to get advice (fair trade thread, how much is this pets worth, how much is this pet worth in C$, etc) and a huge disclaimer on December 18, I don’t think there is anything else that can be done about helping people learn about their pet. Tess/Nick already said they wouldn’t release pet numbers even though this would be the most accurate way to figure out fairness/make an accurate list. Coming back after being gone for so long was so weird, we’ve got a bazillion new pet rarities and a lot of pets went omgsr that I never would’ve expected. The list was discontinued…except so many people still latch onto it. Rarity is important, but also something so subjective as demand that can fluctuate depending on time. A grinner is omgsr but a raven dog that’s less in rarity is still going for idk how many nons. it’s confusing how this is seen as ok, but other scenarios are not. “Ninja” and “overpaying” are two sides of the same coin.

Anyways people are gonna trade how they want, and having fear that a newbie may trade their rare away seems like a lame excuse to not release more rare monthly pets.

I mean, it's supposed to help them and it definitely won't because they will probably trade it for just another no rarity outcome from the same month, or just a bunch of common or less, if they have a wl. Many people when they first join and don't have a concept of rarity will accept a trade with more pets offered than what you want. And I don't see how me, wanting newbies to actually not get scammed out of their rare pets is lame? But, go off.

The argument that we shouldn’t release monthly rares bc new players might trade them away unfairly is a lame excuse. I didn’t say wanting new players not to get ninjad is lame 🤣. Because In that case let’s get rid of december 18 for newbies since that’s when it happens the most & they might trade their omgsr pets away for a omgsc. Having access to fair trade thread, “what is this pet” etc is going to help far more than not giving them rares. Because when they eventually do get one…what then? They won’t know unless they’re educated.

Even if they don’t know/listen/care, newbies still should be able to get rares even if they’re gonna trade it eventually. Restricting a part of gameplay for newbies because they might “trade the wrong way” (even though it might be to their disadvantage) isn’t fair or rewarding for playing CS

Thovatos wrote:
odin wrote:I mean, it's supposed to help them and it definitely won't because they will probably trade it for just another no rarity outcome from the same month, or just a bunch of common or less, if they have a wl. Many people when they first join and don't have a concept of rarity will accept a trade with more pets offered than what you want. And I don't see how me, wanting newbies to actually not get scammed out of their rare pets is lame? But, go off.

I get both sides of the argument, really. I think many people have experienced some sort of ninja trades back when they were newer. I had something similar happen to me when the IR peach was released. But at the end of the day, people will always send unfair trades, and people will always be new enough to not know any better or don't really care about rarity enough to worry about what they are trading off. That's one thing I do like about the recent tag changes, because it helps illustrate rarity a bit more clearly for those newer to the game.
As some have said before me, rarities don't really release until the end of the month, so it's really only speculation if a certain outcome is rarer than the others or not. Most people don't even trade their growing outcomes until their rarity is given at the end of the month. So that's a little bit of a cushion on the whole ninja aspect.
But as far as I've seen, unless you're really really really new, most people within their first week come to find out about the "Is this a fair trade thread" and ask there. I really don't think it's as big of a worry as some might feel the ninja'ing is.
Personally I think the pros outweigh the cons. Gives a lot of long-standing players something to trade and engage for more than just simply adopting this months outcomes and going afk until the next month. We need something to do between events, and this would be a very welcome change!

Thank you for your response. I agree that it would benefit all players, new or old
Liliette

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Elm » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:35 am

I think it’ll help newer players more than not. As someone who has played for many years and has a short wishlist/not many pets left to collect, i have a bunch of rares from past events that id love to trade if i miss a newer monthly rare. I’m not a fan of trade downs since i have all rare pets and below, unless i find an outcome that i’d like to hoard its likely they’ll just sit in the group. The more rares that are introduced will help circulate older rare pets. I’ve read some concerns about the demand these rares might have like the rares in the past, if a newbie got one of these rares a lot of people would overpay just as much as people trying to ninja. Also from my experience demand usually dies out within a month or two. Or until the next one is released. The more we gap between rares released the more demand the previous rare would hold imo.

Elm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pthumerian » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:41 am

not sure if this was brought up before (i didn't read all posts), but is it even considered that many people do litter swaps before the rarities are out? how is that supposed to work with random rare outcomes? i personally often do such litter swaps and i'm not really interested in always waiting for the rarities.
pthumerian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueEyedKite » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:44 am

Liliette wrote:
The argument that we shouldn’t release monthly rares bc new players might trade them away unfairly is a lame excuse. I didn’t say wanting new players not to get ninjad is lame 🤣. Because In that case let’s get rid of december 18 for newbies since that’s when it happens the most & they might trade their omgsr pets away for a omgsc. Having access to fair trade thread, “what is this pet” etc is going to help far more than not giving them rares. Because when they eventually do get one…what then? They won’t know unless they’re educated.

Even if they don’t know/listen/care, newbies still should be able to get rares even if they’re gonna trade it eventually. Restricting a part of gameplay for newbies because they might “trade the wrong way” (even though it might be to their disadvantage) isn’t fair or rewarding for playing CS

I don't think it's fair to compare Dec 18th to the opportunity of rare monthly pets. You can support one (I do for 12/18) but not for rares in the monthly adopts (where I stand)

For 12/18 there are clear warnings that these adopts may include a valuable outcome. Clear warnings to know the rarity of your pets before accepting a trade. There are links to the threads users can ask if their trade is fair. Those are just a few of the safe guards.

For monthly adopts we have no such warnings. We haven’t needed to. At most we've had the occasional uncommon.

My vote has been for the option of a significantly hard to find outcome that looks different than its littermates. If we don't have any warnings there may be a valuable pet among a litter, the second best option is making it stand out.

And lastly, it's not so much restricting gameplay, but setting clear boundaries. Events and 12/18 is where users get the harder to find pets. Monthly adopts are not as valuable at first but the longer time passes the more valuable they become.

A lot of us are not against adding more rares+ pets in circulation, we just don't agree they should be mixed in with monthly adopts :)
Characters.Toyhouse. Dreamwalkers.Image
ImageWriting Contest >> Here<<
avatar by shalusky MM stamp by hellevi
BlueEyedKite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby softpaw » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:18 am

BlueEyedKite wrote:
Liliette wrote:

I don't think it's fair to compare Dec 18th to the opportunity of rare monthly pets. You can support one (I do for 12/18) but not for rares in the monthly adopts (where I stand)

For 12/18 there are clear warnings that these adopts may include a valuable outcome. Clear warnings to know the rarity of your pets before accepting a trade. There are links to the threads users can ask if their trade is fair. Those are just a few of the safe guards.

For monthly adopts we have no such warnings. We haven’t needed to. At most we've had the occasional uncommon.

My vote has been for the option of a significantly hard to find outcome that looks different than its littermates. If we don't have any warnings there may be a valuable pet among a litter, the second best option is making it stand out.

And lastly, it's not so much restricting gameplay, but setting clear boundaries. Events and 12/18 is where users get the harder to find pets. Monthly adopts are not as valuable at first but the longer time passes the more valuable they become.

A lot of us are not against adding more rares+ pets in circulation, we just don't agree they should be mixed in with monthly adopts :)

This quote already exists when you go to adopt monthly pets:

These dogs may grow up into different adults by random chance - each newborn usually has a chance to grow up into around 2 - 6 different adult versions, and some might be very rare! Make sure to adopt more than one and watch them change as they grow.

What more of a warning would you like to see ideally? I wouldn't want the existence of a rare outcome spoiled by an announcement, and it seems unlikely that staff would do this anyways.
softpaw

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueEyedKite » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:38 pm

softpaw wrote:
What more of a warning would you like to see ideally? I wouldn't want the existence of a rare outcome spoiled by an announcement, and it seems unlikely that staff would do this anyways.
[/center]

Right, I don't think there should be an egregious warning like we have for 12/18. 12/18 is one day so having all the over the top warnings stands out. If warnings were done for every litter they'd be glossed over, like that quote xD I had no idea it said that. I don't read the text when I go in for my monthly adopts bahaha.

Buuuut that's also why I am not in favor of a rare outcome within monthly adopts unless it looks different than its litter/stands out! No need for a big warning if the outcome looks like a shiny, so to speak :thumbup:
BlueEyedKite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Liliette » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:04 pm

BlueEyedKite wrote:
Liliette wrote:

So it seems that both of yall’s main grievance isn’t necessarily giving new players rares, but making sure they have the resources readily available to be knowledgeable about rarity & fairness. There are already resources available and there is a message before adopting. Could they expand on the message before adoption, sure. I don’t know what else can be done about warning people, considering the fact that there are big bolded warnings on December 18 and people still don’t listen. Ninja/unfair trading will never disappear from the site. The earlier they get hands on experience with rares is better, getting a feel of trading with others, so they can begin to recognize bad/good offers, trade etiquette, and so on. Id rather them get ninjad for a monthly rare and knowing what to do in the future for events and dec 18. The process of being a newbie then a seasoned CS player takes time…. But hey maybe I’m wrong 🤷🏾‍♀️

We just fundamentally disagree on the “boundary” part. I think having to wait for only events and December 18 makes CS boring 90% of the year and the fact that we seem to get updates on the site once every decade is killing the site. I don’t think CS will ever fully return to its peak but having a chance to get a rare every month/every other month is a way to keep the game consistently exciting, not just log in on the first, adopt everything then don’t touch it again until it’s time to adopt next month
Liliette

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueEyedKite » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:26 pm

Yeah I don't think we will agree but that's okay, it takes all kinds of opinions! I appreciate the staff looking into ways of adding more valuable pets into the community, glad they are showing they are thinking of us. I just have other options I'd like to see implemented without having to mess with monthly adopts so drastically.

I've voted for suggestions like more re-release days. More boxes added to 12/28. Adding old URs into monthly adopts at the same scarce rarity as the zebras. Item re-releases. Things like that c:
BlueEyedKite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Simon » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:53 am

Thank you all for the engaging discussion and for voting in the poll! It's always great to see how passionate everyone is about CS and we are glad to have a community where these debates are possible.

Based on the poll results and everyone's feedback, for 2024 we will release a few rare monthly pets. We will pay close attention to the community response and feedback to determine how we want to proceed the following year.
Simon
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me