We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Which path should we take to improve the pet rarity system?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:06 pm

Keep the current categories, but spread pets out more across the categories we have
22%
Add a new "very uncommon" rarity category
16%
Add four new rarity categories
62%

Total votes : 5068

Re: We need your feedback on an update to the rarity system!

Postby Saphiric » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:48 am

SabrinaB wrote:
Cherryfisk wrote:
Lacuna wrote:
    - I saw some discussion about the use of the word "extremely" but if there was another suggestion to use instead I didn't see one that got support. If this is something people are concerned about, please propose what you'd prefer! Personally, I went with very > extremely because I think that it's pretty intuitive as to which one is worth "more." even if the word extremely is a bit clunky. I'm definitely open to hearing a better option!

Just hopping in with some suggestions:

✦ Ultra:
OMG so Common - Ultra Common - Very Common - Common - Uncommon - Very Uncommon - Ultra Uncommon - Rare - Very Rare - Ultra Rare - OMG so Rare
OMGSC, UC, VC, C, U, VU, UU, R, VR, UR, OMGSR

✦ Mega:
OMG so Common - Mega Common - Very Common - Common - Uncommon - Very Uncommon - Mega Uncommon - Rare - Very Rare - Mega Rare - OMG so Rare
OMGSC, MC, VC, C, U, VU, MU, R, VR, MR, OMGSR

✦ Super:
OMG so Common - Super Common - Very Common - Common - Uncommon - Very Uncommon - Super Uncommon - Rare - Very Rare - Super Rare - OMG so Rare
OMGSC, SC, VC, C, U, VU, SU, R, VR, SR, OMGSR

--

Please bear with me, I haven't read every comment on this thread, I just read Lacuna's update here and thought I'd add my thoughts. Sorry if any of them have already been suggested! In that case, just take my suggestions as a bit of support to it. ^^;

I wouldnt go with ultra, since that would be UR.
And UR already stands for UnReleased, which will cause a lot of confusion.
Extremely or extra sounds better to me.

I would also have said if they didn't use SR , URs could be called SPECIAL Releases. It honestly makes more sense to me than UR tbh. Unreleased makes it sound like it shouldn't exist to me
"I grabbed your hand that evening for the first time and laced our fingers together. It was surprising how easily our fingers fit together, your long, slender fingers, complementing my shorter, rougher ones. Holding your hand felt so right, so different from the last hand I held like that, Ginny’s hand. I brushed a stray lock of your fair hair from your eyes and took a deep breath. I was going to keep my end of the bargain by telling you my deepest secret. I could only pray that you would keep yours." Harry about to confess his feelings for Draco Quote from: You Set Fire to the Rain
Saphiric

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Juliamon » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:52 am

Saphiric wrote:I would also have said if they didn't use SR , URs could be called SPECIAL Releases. It honestly makes more sense to me than UR tbh. Unreleased makes it sound like it shouldn't exist to me

Yeah, it's always confused me that "URs" are listed in the "Special Releases" tab but aren't CALLED SRs. I assume it's something that was changed somewhere along the line and nobody adapted? Maybe the new rarity names could actually do something about that.
she/they, adult
Juliamon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kouyawolf » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:33 pm

Fellefan wrote:I really do not want to rush or seem impatient but I would love an estimate of when staff thinks there might be an update on the topic? like will this be implemented within a month? or in the coming year? just so we know if we should halt rarer trades as we wait etc.

This I would like to start adding new groups for organizing but unsure on new names. Just a confirmation of the new rarities would be nice
I love trades and have an art shop!

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2724227
kouyawolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pallastronomy » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:24 pm

kouyawolf wrote:
Fellefan wrote:I really do not want to rush or seem impatient but I would love an estimate of when staff thinks there might be an update on the topic? like will this be implemented within a month? or in the coming year? just so we know if we should halt rarer trades as we wait etc.

This I would like to start adding new groups for organizing but unsure on new names. Just a confirmation of the new rarities would be nice

Seconding this as well. Even a ‘We’re planning to implement the new rarities in/around [timeframe]’ or a ‘We will be adding the four new rarities but we don’t have a date estimate for when’ would suffice, I just want to hear a confirmation statement from staff one way or the other now that the poll has concluded
My TFO LabMy Magistream ScrollMy Protochroma Profile

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageMeowdy!ImageImage
ImageImageYou can call me Azure, Celeste, Elijah, or Koshka, and I’m an artist, animator, writer, and government certified moron. Feel free to drop in and say hi! I don't bite!ImageImage

Signature decor by Martith, Crasty-For-Life, King-Lulu-Deer, mairu-doggy, stardust-palace, RenIrako, Drawn-Mario, and peachkonpeito on DeviantArt! Go check em' out!
Pallastronomy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby piepinkpony » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:35 pm

Pallastronomy wrote:
kouyawolf wrote:

Seconding this as well. Even a ‘We’re planning to implement the new rarities in/around [timeframe]’ or a ‘We will be adding the four new rarities but we don’t have a date estimate for when’ would suffice, I just want to hear a confirmation statement from staff one way or the other now that the poll has concluded

We do have some conformation from a global mod after the pole finished:

Raire wrote:
Don't worry, there'll be an update once we are ready to post it - the poll result is pretty obvious, so there shouldn't be any confusion for now. ^^

We also know this isn't the only change being worked on:

Spaceinmyhead wrote:snippet-
This change is just one of a few that are being worked on!

Also this question was asked mid August here is the discussion we had then:

conarcoin wrote:
piepinkpony wrote:
Blaubär wrote:By now I just wish we knew, when the bandaid's acutally going to get ripped off. It's entirely my own fault for coming back here to read suggestions and feedback - I kinda can't stay away from it rn, cause it's somehow important to me. ^^ But then, I'm starting to feel really anxious about things. It's like CS is usually this little cozy place on the internet, but rn now it's making me feel uncomfortable in the stomach. Maybe I should just stay away till the update is through. xD
Any chance we can get a rough estimate of the timetable?

This is just a geuss.
The poll ends 21st August so nothing till then at minimum. And then this is only ideas, they have to sort final names, graphics, coding, etc. I'd rather it was sooner as opposed to later but especially with two big events coming up (Halloween, Christmas) I feel like it won't be till next year. I do know we will get plenty of warning though, it won't happen suddenly without us knowing.

Nick wrote:Once the best option is decided, we'll announce that new system in advance, and then make that change two weeks later.

Reads to me as "once the poll is over and the graphics/coding have been adjusted, it will be implemented 2 weeks later", and I don't think the graphics and coding will take too long, at least not long enough to delay it into next year. We have a month between now and Halloween and several until Christmas, and I believe most of the work in regards to those is on the artists, so I'm not sure why those would cause an issue with this project?

So we'll have 2 weeks notice. I'd also speculate they may want to implement it mid-month as that's when rarity changes normally happen, but if that's the case it won't be this month.

But I agree it would be nice to have have little bit of a timeline. Even if it's something as simple as it will happen this year or won't happen until next year.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pride was a RIOT. Black lives matter! They/Them
Pride pets -->https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4351842
piepinkpony

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Simon » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:12 am

Our rarity update poll has ended and will be introducing 11 rarity levels in approximately two weeks!

What you need to know:

1) Please be aware that pets are gaining a finer rarity distribution, as a result your pets may seem to move up or down in rarity

2) Based on user feedback, we have designed multiple versions of rarity bars that users will be able to pick between in settings
Simon
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me