New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Postby Simon » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:55 pm

After continued experience moderating DNI (Do Not Interact) lists, CS Staff has discussed the pros and cons of allowing them and come to the conclusion that DNI (Do Not Interact) lists will no longer be allowed on Chicken Smoothie. Users may not list DNIs on their profile, trade rules, or forum posts, nor may they link to other sites that contain DNI lists.

The specific reasoning and details regarding this rule change are as follows:

  • DNI lists often contain inappropriate content that we do not want to expose our young userbase to, as well as political statements or anti-statements that break our established site rules. We often need to ask users to modify or remove currently posted/linked DNI lists due to these rules.

  • In the same vein as our rule to disallow "Sign up if you do not like abuse" clubs in our Clubs and Armies board, we have also found that most DNI lists mention (often specific) criminals, which serves almost no purpose as most people would like to distance themselves or not interact with such individuals.

  • For more specific entries, DNI lists endanger users by giving a comprehensive list of all the things that would upset, trigger, or harm that user. Especially with the young user base on CS, not all users may realize the danger of posting such a list. In the same vein, DNI lists may encourage targeting of said vulnerable users, or make bullying or harassment by a bad actor more dangerous. This makes their potential harm much greater than their potential benefit.

  • DNI lists are hard to enforce on CS as they generally focus on who is sending the content rather than the actual content being sent. Someone's identity, beliefs, fandoms, interests, or age is not something we can prove or moderate in most cases, as CS rules limit what personal information can be shared. It is also hard to draw a line on what would or would not be allowed on a DNI, and any rule explanation allowing them would fail to cover all potential content.

  • In a practical context, a functional, rule-abiding, enforceable DNI list on CS would look like "DNI if your profile has images of spiders on it." However, even this is not very useful because, on a forum-based site like CS where you are scrolling and viewing users' posts and avatars in threads, the most likely way you will encounter triggering content is not through direct interaction, but passive observation. If you find you are often being triggered browsing the forums, we do have settings to disable avatars, signatures, and even images in posts.

  • We encourage you to use the block function for any user you do not want to interact with. Users may block other users for any reason, and you are never required to explain or justify why you have blocked someone. Block evasion violates our rules and should be reported.

  • Users may still request that they not be sent trades with certain species of pets (such as spiders) in their trade rules, but this is not considered enforceable unless it is clear that a user is violating your boundary intentionally. One spider in a random trade with other pets is likely a mistake. However, targeted harassment with multiple trades of only spiders would be a violation of our current rules.
Finally,

There will be a two-week grace period following this announcement for users to remove any previously rule-abiding DNI lists from their profiles/links, after which moderators will begin to enforce this rule, at which point you may receive a reminder PM or board warning from a moderator asking for the DNI list to be removed. However, please be mindful that these warnings are intended as informational corrections and are not likely to result in account restrictions or bans unless a pattern/repetition of rulebreaking behavior is observed.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding of this change. Any questions may be asked in this thread!


Image
User avatar
Simon
Admin
 
Posts: 10901
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:39 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Postby useless witch » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:10 pm

Thank you. Seeing them was getting to be very uncomfortable, especially since one of them involves something I have trauma related to.
Image •Ванда и Наталья• Image
Image
I'm a genetic dumpster fire
Both Russia and Ukraine share the sunflower as their national flower. Make peace not war
𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘦𝘥 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘦𝘹𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘢𝘤𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘪𝘵
User avatar
useless witch
 
Posts: 4899
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 3:02 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Postby Candilicious » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:13 pm

Hello, does this include listing users who are banned/have been warned in a closed-species community on chickensmoothie.com? Or is that still allowed? I might be getting this mixed up with public ban/blacklists.
Candilicious
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:21 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Postby Lacuna » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:17 pm

Candilicious wrote:
Hello, does this include listing users who are banned/have been warned in a closed-species community on chickensmoothie.com? Or is that still allowed? I might be getting this mixed up with public ban/blacklists.

    No, the rules on those specific blacklists remain in effect.
User avatar
Lacuna
Admin Assistant
 
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:50 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Postby Candilicious » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:27 pm

Lacuna wrote:
Candilicious wrote:
Hello, does this include listing users who are banned/have been warned in a closed-species community on chickensmoothie.com? Or is that still allowed? I might be getting this mixed up with public ban/blacklists.

    No, the rules on those specific blacklists remain in effect.


Okay, thank you.
Candilicious
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:21 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Postby bluestyle » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:32 pm

honestly theres so many issues to this new rule, we have dni lists for a reason. we dont want anyone gross interacting with us, especially if they actively know how gross they are????

some of us (including myself!) have extreme anxiety, and some other mental illnesses that get in the way of things like this. ive gotten into multiple mental breakdowns just from someone on my dni list interacting with me, and just thinking about it just makes me feel like regurgitating.

not to mention some people (also including myself) have ptsd that makes it difficult to talk to people that fit into their dni lists!
Last edited by Zeena on Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please be respectful of others, including CS staff
bluestyle
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:12 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Postby Squecca » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:33 pm

I'm really happy to see this rule! DNI lists (and also trigger lists) are pet peeves of mine. Here are my reasons:
1. Nobody is going to read your lists before interacting with you, especially if they're listed on another link. People don't really think to do that, and lots of people may not care or don't have the time.
2. Phrases like "dni if you're racist or homophobic" don't really do anything because most racists and homophobes don't realize they are.
3. Telling strangers what bothers you/triggers you is basically just "here is how you can bother/scare me! Have fun!"
4. Telling certain people to not interact with you usually doesn't work. They either don't care or they may even go out of their way to interact with you just to upset you or as a way to say 'heck you, I can do what I want!"
5. If you have a mindset-based DNI (such as "DNI if you hold this opinion") then how would you even know that that kind of person is interacting with you if they just don't tell you their opinion? In that case, it wouldn't affect you OR them.
6. People who have mean mindsets or behaviors won't suddenly be like "oh man, I totally respect your boundaries and won't interact with you!"

But yeah, like the rules say, it makes a little more sense to not want someone to interact with you if they have flashing lights all over their avatars/signatures or something you're extremely phobic of. But I still would be too afraid to say that because people would probably just send me that stuff to purposely trigger me. So I would never tell strangers my trauma triggers, and only may mention my phobic triggers in certain, careful situations. I don't want that stuff to be used against me!

So basically everything the rules say lol. It's funny to see this as a new rule because I was JUST ranting to someone today about how annoyed I am by DNI/trigger lists.
Image
User avatar
Squecca
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:21 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Postby Squecca » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:37 pm

miosha wrote:honestly theres so many issues to this new rule, we have dni lists for a reason. we dont want anyone gross interacting with us, especially if they actively know how gross they are????

some of us (including myself!) have extreme anxiety, and some other mental illnesses that get in the way of things like this. ive gotten into multiple mental breakdowns just from someone on my dni list interacting with me, and just thinking about it just makes me feel like regurgitating.

not to mention some people (also including myself) have ptsd that makes it difficult to talk to people that fit into their dni lists! either the cs mods are incredibly ableist or just dont know what theyre doing with this rule.


Definitely block the people you don't want to interact with you! And don't the fact that they do still interact with you kinda proves that DNI lists don't work? I don't think mean people are going to respect DNI lists.
Image
User avatar
Squecca
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:21 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Postby bluestyle » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:39 pm

Squecca wrote:
miosha wrote:honestly theres so many issues to this new rule, we have dni lists for a reason. we dont want anyone gross interacting with us, especially if they actively know how gross they are????

some of us (including myself!) have extreme anxiety, and some other mental illnesses that get in the way of things like this. ive gotten into multiple mental breakdowns just from someone on my dni list interacting with me, and just thinking about it just makes me feel like regurgitating.

not to mention some people (also including myself) have ptsd that makes it difficult to talk to people that fit into their dni lists! either the cs mods are incredibly ableist or just dont know what theyre doing with this rule.


Definitely block the people you don't want to interact with you! And don't the fact that they do still interact with you kinda proves that DNI lists don't work? I don't think mean people are going to respect DNI lists.

dni lists still make us feel safer. it feels so unsafe just letting anyone interact with you without having something on your profile to say Not to. also what do you want me to do? investigate every single cs user and figure out which ones to block? its not that easy <3
bluestyle
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:12 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Postby Laughingfruit » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:42 pm

I'm very happy to see this. I won't go into it but DNI lists are unnecessary and don't do much good, so if anything they are inappropriate and do more harm if anything.
Image
Call me Dango


---------------------------------
Icon is by E u p h o r i a
Sig image by ☾Khonjin☽
User avatar
Laughingfruit
 
Posts: 1844
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:27 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests