Small update to forum buttons, user page, foe list

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: Small update to forum buttons, user page, foe list

Postby VampireMessageNinja » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:57 am

Personally, I don't think people want to ignore the wishes of the mobile users or the ones with poor mobility. They, me included, would probably just love the choice to be able to go back to the old standards. By all means, I like that they came up with that idea. But personally I can't really stand seeing it (autism) and would be veeery greatful for the ability to toggle it off. You could even keep the big buttons the standard option if nothing else is chosen. :)
My Lights are: OFF!
ImageImage
ImageImage
VampireMessageNinja

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:12 am

kerstin wrote:

i've never done super complex website coding, but i'm pretty sure handling the placement of the buttons/links in a theme like style would be, if not completely, then nearly impossible. changing graphics ( like the background, fonts and other images ) is easy enough, but moving bits of the code around to everyone's personal liking would either require a whole lotta dedicated work or a magician ^^;

From what I understand of web dev and PHP and from what little I know of the phpBB forum software, yeah Nick would probably have to whip up a whole lotta new code from scratch for the otherwise really good suggestion to change the actual placement of the buttons based on user preference. Because 1) it wouldn’t be simply a graphics change—it would be a location AND display (to text) change, and 2) it would be by user preference, not by board style.

With how scary the HTML/CSS (and, undoubtedly, the PHP) for CS looks, I honestly wouldn’t blame Nick if he doesn’t want to go in and add a bunch of new conditional statements into the code in multiple places lol
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DustyZoiveon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:32 am

VampireMessageNinja wrote:Personally, I don't think people want to ignore the wishes of the mobile users or the ones with poor mobility. They, me included, would probably just love the choice to be able to go back to the old standards. By all means, I like that they came up with that idea. But personally I can't really stand seeing it (autism) and would be veeery greatful for the ability to toggle it off. You could even keep the big buttons the standard option if nothing else is chosen. :)

Yeah, having it be a toggle like the rarity bars would be nice. I'm mostly talking about the people requesting the buttons be made super-tiny again in the first place just to fit it all on one line, even though that'd be right back to where we started only with the buttons not being at the bottom anymore lol. I'll try and quote what I'm talking about in a sec, gotta find it again first. I guess it mostly just irks me that any time there's an accessibility update I always see people yelling that it's a bad update just cause it doesn't look as... Minimalistic, I guess? ouo;

Aight, turns out I misread the comment, oop. They did mention a toggle being best. This is what I was referring to though:
dwarjam wrote:-snip-
buttons could also be smaller imo, like this?

but I do still prefer the old little organized links at the bottom of the profile, looked the best of all.[/size][/list]

IMO the buttons being tiny again would defeat the purpose of it being an accessibility update, and honestly doesn't look good to me either? There's lotsa empty space, which could be fixed a bit by tweaking the placement of everything around it, but I feel like that's a lot of work to put forth for a simple accessibility-vs-aesthetics toggle yanno? ouo;
Image🖤 Nonbinary / Maverique 🖤Image
ImageProud to be autistic!Image
System of many alters. We'll sign off our posts if someone other than the whost (who isn't masking) posts.
DustyZoiveon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:56 am

DustyZoiveon wrote:
VampireMessageNinja wrote:Personally, I don't think people want to ignore the wishes of the mobile users or the ones with poor mobility. They, me included, would probably just love the choice to be able to go back to the old standards. By all means, I like that they came up with that idea. But personally I can't really stand seeing it (autism) and would be veeery greatful for the ability to toggle it off. You could even keep the big buttons the standard option if nothing else is chosen. :)

Yeah, having it be a toggle like the rarity bars would be nice. I'm mostly talking about the people requesting the buttons be made super-tiny again in the first place just to fit it all on one line, even though that'd be right back to where we started only with the buttons not being at the bottom anymore lol. I'll try and quote what I'm talking about in a sec, gotta find it again first. I guess it mostly just irks me that any time there's an accessibility update I always see people yelling that it's a bad update just cause it doesn't look as... Minimalistic, I guess? ouo;

You’re not alone in that ^^ Unfortunately this is a really widespread problem and it’s been bugging me that in other places for many years and even today I keep seeing things like “let’s makes things nice and tiny and compact for aesthetics! And let’s make the font real thin and with barely any contrast against the background because subtle contrast is prettier!” And my response every time is “okay so your audience is just the 20/20 vision people who will eventually leave your audience because you’re ruining their eyesight as they strain to read your stuff, got it”

Thankfully I’ve never seen anything that bad on CS. but there are definitely some spillover effects of the attitude I described above on CS and it irritates me every time

(Not referring to the people who are made uncomfortable by e.g. giant things; everyone’s needs are different—but there were some posts that made me think the poster purely was thinking about aesthetics and that made me very sad)

——————————————

EDIT: HEY. WHEN DID THIS NINJA UPDATE HAPPEN

(Sorry for the image sizes; on mobile)

OLD:

NEW:
CEF1D661-D89A-4945-993E-4BB0EF7A57A7.png
CEF1D661-D89A-4945-993E-4BB0EF7A57A7.png (230.88 KiB) Viewed 922 times

THE CHICKEN SMOOTHIE STUFF BUTTONS ARE BETTER LINED UP NOW

THIS LOOKS GREAT THANK YOU 🤩

Edit2: aha I think I see. There must’ve been an update to adjust the size of these buttons dynamically to fill up the container space, hence the odd situation a couple of pages back with the weird 4-2 setup that at least had the buttons line up lol

🤩
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SilverCervine » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:39 pm

AHH thanks so much for fixing the 4-2 situation!! love how it looks now :D (had it switched to Halloween theme so noticed only now; I can also appreciate the fancier font properly now haha)
SilverCervine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HennesseyCamaro » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:25 pm

One thing I may recommend. A filter when looking throu pets. Options of course by rarity so u can find them faster if u own a bunch of other pets other than that rarity in the group. Maybe even by breed but that’s much more than just by rarity. Maybe it can be added to help find those types of pets faster in your file or even in trades
Only look for uncommons and above pretty much. I work to much so when I get on I fix trades or accept. All my omgsc-commons are always for trade for better pets.
HennesseyCamaro

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PHILODENDRON » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:18 pm

I preferred the old layout. I guess I'm still getting used to the new one.
Send me a trade.

PHILODENDRON
The name derives from the Greek words philo- or "love or leaf, affection" and dendron or "tree".
PHILODENDRON

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby All Might » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:19 pm

I think the only thing I can say is I'm not fond of where the Trade button is;
I liked the old layout. But it was as it was - old. So, I s'pose out with the old to be in with the new!

┍━━━━━━━┑
    'it's you'
    If only I could stay
    delicate as the new day ;
    adult / she / artist
    seeking blue sorb
    credit

┕━━━━━━━┙

Image Image

All Might

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PikaPerfect » Sat May 04, 2019 8:51 am

okay so i was just about to say how i love the new update but the button layout was wonky, but lo and behold, the buttons were aligned all nice and neatly while i wasn't paying attention lol

i don't really have any complaints now, everything looks gorgeous!
call me pika - he/him - gay - i like cats, pokemon, and genshin impact
sorry if i don't respond to your DM, random messages give me anxiety 😎✌
The summoning gif worked :)
PikaPerfect

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me