COMMUNITY POLL: Rare Monthly Pets

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

What is your opinion on releasing rare pets in monthly releases?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:59 am

I am not interested in any litters having significantly harder to achieve outcomes.
10%
I am interested in a few litters a year that have a significantly harder to achieve outcome.
41%
I am interested in at least one litter a month that has a significantly harder to achieve outcome.
30%
I am only interested in occasional significantly harder to achieve outcomes if they are considered “special release” pets and look different from the litter they are released with.
19%

Total votes : 5954

Re: COMMUNITY POLL: Rare Monthly Pets

Postby Thalassic » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:29 am

Potema wrote:I also like the idea of releasing UR pets alongside regular litters, just like the zebras already do. This could potentially bring more valuable pets into circulation but without having to rely on December 18th. I assume people don't create multiple account for a chance to adopt a zebra, so maybe the same could work for other UR pets as well? I don't know, just my two cents.

I would love to see a vote for that, as well as a vote for more than one dec18 type events over the year.
Seen it in quite a few comments here, and I'm struggling to come up with any downsides to that. Any sort of a miniscule change in old pet rarities would be immediately offset by increased amounts of trading and activity. I have known a couple people over the years who almost only log on for dec18, so having a couple more of those dates would definitely drive up activity and introduce more rares into the trading pool.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueEyedKite » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:54 am

Would also like a poll for releasing URs the zebra way. Even if it has to wait for the next community poll.
BlueEyedKite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kysska » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:00 pm

I really like the idea of more rare outcomes! I have to be honest here, It feels so boring adopting 50+ untradeably common pets a month. I end up deleting a lot of them because, in my opinion, clogging up the pound with hundreds of my pets a year (that no one wants) doesn't help either.

I am approaching this from the viewpoint of someone who has no desire to "catch em all" and only trades for specific pets I want.

Plus I think it could be a cool opportunity for newbies to jump into the trading game sooner and get pets that would take them months or years to obtain otherwise.
Kysska

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Avianahelena » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:37 pm

I'll be honest here.

I believe the current system is already toxic enough without doing something that will feed into the greedy "overpay-only" mindset even more.

To be even more honest: I hate that golden gacha dog. It's adorable, but people made it so much harder to get than a simple Rare ever should be that once I finally got hold of one, I chucked it into my dog group, tried my best to forget about it, and experience a brief moment of rage and disgust every time I lay eyes on the thing. I'm starting to feel the same way about PPS lions.

The more often this site allows that kind of situation to develop, the happier the scalpers are who like to snap up anything even remotely in-demand so they can force demand up even higher and force overpay out of folks who literally just want to collect a full set of pixel animals.
I like bananas. Bananas are good.

All the introverts in the Apple cabin are stressed out by being with so many other introverts! Avianahelena helps move some sleeping bags out to sleep beneath the stars.
Avianahelena

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pallastronomy » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:24 pm

Avianahelena wrote:I'll be honest here.

I believe the current system is already toxic enough without doing something that will feed into the greedy "overpay-only" mindset even more.

To be even more honest: I hate that golden gacha dog. It's adorable, but people made it so much harder to get than a simple Rare ever should be that once I finally got hold of one, I chucked it into my dog group, tried my best to forget about it, and experience a brief moment of rage and disgust every time I lay eyes on the thing. I'm starting to feel the same way about PPS lions.

The more often this site allows that kind of situation to develop, the happier the scalpers are who like to snap up anything even remotely in-demand so they can force demand up even higher and force overpay out of folks who literally just want to collect a full set of pixel animals.

THIS. ALL OF THIS.
Going through with this practically undo the effects of what the rarity update just a month prior was supposed to achieve; stabilizing the trading economy and providing somewhat more definitive values of pets in hopes of curbing inflation. Throwing more high value pets into the mix while values are still volatile is directly counterproductive, and we know that because we’ve seen it happen, over and over again. Halloween banner pets. Golden gacha dog. EPPS Lions. Demand isn’t going to get better just because rares are more frequent; if anything it’s just going to get worse, and for the casual collector, it’s going to get tedious.

I was still relatively new when the Golden Gacha dropped, and the only way I got a fair swap for that thing was by watching the trade thread almost 24/7, and that was before it was even confirmed to be rare; had I been later, odds are very good it would have taken me much longer to get my hands on it, if I got it at all. The newbies this is proposed to ‘help’ aren’t going to even know that much, or even necessarily have the time. If anything, I, as a newbie, would be significantly put off if this level of constant activity and scrambling to trade was what was expected of me regularly.

Rare event pets work because they’re condensed into a short time period. You know they’re coming, you only have to deal with the chaos over a short timeframe, and they’re spaced out to compensate. Monthlies don’t have that, and that’s why the rare outcomes are comparatively fewer. The system works; why change it now?

The rate we get rare monthlies at is enough, and going through with this is going to benefit nobody. Not newbies, not oldies, not me, not you.
My TFO LabMy Magistream ScrollMy Protochroma Profile

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageMeowdy!ImageImage
ImageImageYou can call me Azure, Celeste, Elijah, or Koshka, and I’m an artist, animator, writer, and government certified moron. Feel free to drop in and say hi! I don't bite!ImageImage

Signature decor by Martith, Crasty-For-Life, King-Lulu-Deer, mairu-doggy, stardust-palace, RenIrako, Drawn-Mario, and peachkonpeito on DeviantArt! Go check em' out!
Pallastronomy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby softpaw » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:28 pm

I just want to post and say I love the golden gacha dog and I don't even have it! Haven't been able to trade for it yet. As an older player it's nice to have new goal pets that aren't URs or the same 08/09 pets we've been trading for literal decades tbh.

Pet trades are extremely subjective to the two parties participating in the trade- I get the frustration but if someone doesn't accept your trade offer I feel like its a bit wild to accuse them of being a scalper or being greedy.
softpaw

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby marmoris » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:39 pm

softpaw wrote:I just want to post and say I love the golden gacha dog and I don't even have it! Haven't been able to trade for it yet. As an older player it's nice to have new goal pets that aren't URs or the same 08/09 pets we've been trading for literal decades tbh.

Pet trades are extremely subjective to the two parties participating in the trade- I get the frustration but if someone doesn't accept your trade offer I feel like its a bit wild to accuse them of being a scalper or being greedy.

this! i cannot be bothered to read back so i'm not really going to bother with all that; but one thing i do want to say is i saw some people say newer users should have more of a likelihood of getting these and, if you ask me i think that is counter-intuitive. you increase the amount of non-dec 18th double accounting and i don't really think the staff would wanna deal with that, lmao. /lh as long as everybody has an equal shot, i'm perfectly okay with being lucky or unlucky with it. i just want new pets to trade for. and the being greedy accusation is funny, because honestly, i often overpay for hoards or event pets. n sometimes i still get hit with a cancel. for varying reasons, like some users simply preferring swaps. so it really depends, some people may or may not even value them the same as somebody else. i overvalue some things by a popular standpoint sometimes because it's something i plan to keep in a hoard or collection group. so it's like, whatever? additionally, i would feel a bit cheated by rate-uping new users. because as far as i know, it's always been an equal shot for all?? i think that's a nice part of the site..

i do recall seeing some complain about this because they are "casual collectors" and it means they won't get everything anymore. which, as far as i know, being a casual collector would simply accept some things aren't obtainable as easily..? no hate, just something to be said. and i personally doubt they'd bother releasing the next zebra-rarity pets in monthlies. i can't picture anything above VR, maybe ER if we get crazy with it, haha.

i also advocate for another dec-18th like release, though i'm not sure how plausible that is.. it could potentially drive a lot of rarity down which ehh.. another counter-intuitive move. i wouldn't mind one more date like dec 18th, but anything more could be a bad thing..? though, with how the current trading landscape is.. maybe we need some excess of higher demand pets to hopefully drive it down a bit. (staring at pets like the BA here)

Kysska wrote:I really like the idea of more rare outcomes! I have to be honest here, It feels so boring adopting 50+ untradeably common pets a month. I end up deleting a lot of them because, in my opinion, clogging up the pound with hundreds of my pets a year (that no one wants) doesn't help either.

I am approaching this from the viewpoint of someone who has no desire to "catch em all" and only trades for specific pets I want.

-snip-

and exactly this, it's difficult to get people to accept anything besides uncommon+ it feels like.. :? so more ext uncommon/rare/vr etc monthlies would be really nice to see.
i am consistently inactive, i come and go as i please for monthly adopts and events. i rarely respond to trades unless im looking for something.
marmoris

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HSoup » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:36 am

I came back to see if anyone was talking about the rarer event pets from this event and whether it has changed their mind either way. I have spent the last hour trying to trade for some of the rarer outcomes I have missed. It is frustrating and I have a ton of rare/very rare pets I can offer. I cannot imagine how worse it must be for newbies that miss the rarer outcomes.

I definitely prefer pets to become rare over time rather than from the start.
★ Looking for Missed Outcomes ★

FR username: HSoup wrote:Dragons For Sale or Trade
HSoup

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadowKatto » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:20 pm

HSoup wrote:I came back to see if anyone was talking about the rarer event pets from this event and whether it has changed their mind either way. I have spent the last hour trying to trade for some of the rarer outcomes I have missed. It is frustrating and I have a ton of rare/very rare pets I can offer. I cannot imagine how worse it must be for newbies that miss the rarer outcomes.

I definitely prefer pets to become rare over time rather than from the start.

I honestly haven’t had much trouble trading, and I usually get the pets I need from the event anyways. The only pet I can’t seem to get is that cocoon…
Pet's name: Ashfur

ShadowKatto

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kewin » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:46 am

I don't mind rare outcomes in monthly litters every once in a while, but for me seeing a swap thread where 90% of comments are folks looking for the same one pet is not fun at all, and I dread being on the short end of the stick even more often. I would much rather have more pets with more diverse rarities in monthly litters, than have a single random rare slapped among them.

For example, let's just look at August and September releases - vast majority of pets are either very common or extremely common. You have just updated your rarity system - use it! Why not have more uncommon, very uncommon, extremely uncommon pets? It has plenty of benefits:
1) they wouldn't be as hard to trade for as a rare would, while keeping the feeling of getting a less common outcome,
2) if everything is very common then I really don't have an incentive to trade with others - I will rarely be missing more than 3-4 pets for an entire month, so my trading activity is small. But this would increase trading activity without demanding me to browse the swap thread for hours and speedruning sending trades,
3) the pets will become rare faster than a super common, so it will become a viable trade option for older pets sooner,
4) if you decide on a given month to also add a rare outcome on top of diverse rarities, it might also create a situation where the lucky owner may be more interested in trading his pet for the monthly uncommon pet(s) that he missed, rather than creating insane demand that boosts the prices beyond sanity.

Of course, this would have to be properly balanced with the amount of pets that players can obtain each month. But I do believe that there's a golden (ha ha, golden gacha dog) middle to find between satisfying the rare seekers and the casual players. Looking for a rare litter outcome can be tedious and frustrating, but it really doesn't have to be.

There's already over 10 years worth of challenges and goals for people who are interested in challenging themselves with trading hard to obtain pets.

Also, another thing I'm afraid of is that there's already lot of foul play on the forum from players who mass buy rare outcomes from unsuspecting players for massive underpay (sorry, "very fair price" of 1c$) for resale, and monthly rare outcomes will only further promote this behavior.
kewin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me