COMMUNITY POLL: Rare Monthly Pets

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

What is your opinion on releasing rare pets in monthly releases?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:59 am

I am not interested in any litters having significantly harder to achieve outcomes.
10%
I am interested in a few litters a year that have a significantly harder to achieve outcome.
41%
I am interested in at least one litter a month that has a significantly harder to achieve outcome.
30%
I am only interested in occasional significantly harder to achieve outcomes if they are considered “special release” pets and look different from the litter they are released with.
19%

Total votes : 5954

Re: COMMUNITY POLL: Rare Monthly Pets

Postby Squecca » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:20 pm

aelius wrote:
Squecca wrote:
Calix wrote:For those not supporting because they aim for a full collection and find these types of litters frustrating-

I don't understand why rarer monthly outcomes would be a problem, when the main barrier to a complete collection is in the older releases?

I mean this in a respectful way, but complete collections are never ever happening for a majority of players, and those older pets are the main reason why.

Because I know that even though I may never get some of the older pets, I can count on getting all the new pets from the point my account was made and onwards, instead of having to worry about having an incomplete collection with both old pets and new pets.
Also, "I can't seem to get this pet because it's so old" is a lot different than "I can't seem to get this pet because everyone's inflating it because it's new and everyone is desperate to get it right now".
It's also fun to focus on each month as a little project to ignore the unachievable, impossible full collection with all the older pets (except when I want to).

personally, speaking as someone who has a couple complete species collections, collecting gets really boring. as soon as i've collected all the older releases of those species i have nothing else to work towards. i want more regular rares so i can feel motivated to continue my collections! it gives me something i can work towards once i do get up to date with my collections. swapping the low-value monthlies gets really redundant and i don't have much motivation to keep up my collections when it comes to continuing the monthly adopts.

For me, I'm motivated enough by the fact that there are new pets coming out each month!
May is Celiac Disease Awareness Month!
Image <--click
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby aelius » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:23 pm

the thing with CS is like, it's a game, you know? so to anyone who doesn't want harder to obtain outcomes, why is that exactly? is it because it will be hard to trade for them, or because it'll be harder to complete your collections? both of these reasons don't really make sense when you think about the fact CS is a game. things aren't always going to be easy, and things being hard sometimes makes it more fun for those who take CS seriously as a game! i want CS to be harder so i can actually feel like i'm accomplishing something when i play it, personally.
mac | he/they
art shop trade thread
。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆
aelius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:25 pm

aelius wrote:the thing with CS is like, it's a game, you know? so to anyone who doesn't want harder to obtain outcomes, why is that exactly? is it because it will be hard to trade for them, or because it'll be harder to complete your collections? both of these reasons don't really make sense when you think about the fact CS is a game. things aren't always going to be easy, and things being hard sometimes makes it more fun for those who take CS seriously as a game! i want CS to be harder so i can actually feel like i'm accomplishing something when i play it, personally.

I like my chicken smoothie relaxing and fun, not impossible and inflated. And some of the rarer pets are nearly impossible to get (such as the vday lioness).
Image <--click
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FeatheredCreature » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:28 pm

I think a few surprise rares here and there would be really cool! I think it's super fun when a monthly pet ends up being rarer
FeatheredCreature

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shaileya » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:31 pm

aelius wrote:the thing with CS is like, it's a game, you know? so to anyone who doesn't want harder to obtain outcomes, why is that exactly? is it because it will be hard to trade for them, or because it'll be harder to complete your collections? both of these reasons don't really make sense when you think about the fact CS is a game. things aren't always going to be easy, and things being hard sometimes makes it more fun for those who take CS seriously as a game! i want CS to be harder so i can actually feel like i'm accomplishing something when i play it, personally.

As you say, CS is a game. But just because something makes a game more fun to you does not mean it makes it more fun to the next person. It may in fact do the polar opposite for them and make it less fun. You cannot expect that what is fun to you is fun to every other person playing a specific game. If everyone found the same exact things fun for the same exact reasons, we wouldn't have the extreme variation in games, play styles, etc that we do.
Shaileya

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby aelius » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:32 pm

Squecca wrote:

I like my chicken smoothie relaxing and fun, not impossible and inflated. And some of the rarer pets are nearly impossible to get (such as the vday lioness).

with more monthly rares, inflation of those pets will likely go down. yes, it's true that those pets will certainly have demand, but the fact there will be more monthly rares will help with that because you'll likely be able to just trade one of the other month's rares for the monthly rare you really want. i just feel like it's a bit redundant for people to not support this suggestion because it will make the game harder. a lot of collectors get tired of collecting solely because of doing monthly swaps every month. it feels like a chore because of how easy it is, but if there were more special outcomes, it would be so much more rewarding when doing your monthly swaps for the collections you care about completing! plus, it's not like people have to trade for those harder to get pets. it's not like, a requirement. if you feel like you can't, or don't, want to complete a specific collection because of the harder to get pets, you don't have to trade for them!
mac | he/they
art shop trade thread
aelius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby teddy » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:33 pm

Squecca wrote:

no offense, but chicken smoothie is already impossible and inflated for 99.99% of users. this not only gives new goals for collectors to work towards, but it helps newbies and those same collectors alike build fodder without resorting to buying real currency to trade for pets.
teddy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:40 pm

aelius wrote:
Squecca wrote:

with more monthly rares, inflation of those pets will likely go down. yes, it's true that those pets will certainly have demand, but the fact there will be more monthly rares will help with that because you'll likely be able to just trade one of the other month's rares for the monthly rare you really want. i just feel like it's a bit redundant for people to not support this suggestion because it will make the game harder. a lot of collectors get tired of collecting solely because of doing monthly swaps every month. it feels like a chore because of how easy it is, but if there were more special outcomes, it would be so much more rewarding when doing your monthly swaps for the collections you care about completing! plus, it's not like people have to trade for those harder to get pets. it's not like, a requirement. if you feel like you can't, or don't, want to complete a specific collection because of the harder to get pets, you don't have to trade for them!

We have a difference in playstyles, and that's ok. I personally like chicken smoothie to be more casual. But I do think it's incorrect of Simon to say this update would help newbies.
As for the "you don't have to get them if it's too hard" point, I am too much of a completionist to just accept that, and I don't want to have to give up on a cool rarer pet just because it's too hard. But I also don't want to spend hours a day trying to get it.
And I don't want to just give up and say "oh well, no more complete collections!" just because there was an update I don't like. I don't want to give up on a game I like. I'd rather keep it structured in a way that I like so that I can keep playing it.
Last edited by Squecca on Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image <--click
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby aelius » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:41 pm

Squecca wrote:
aelius wrote:
Squecca wrote:with more monthly rares, inflation of those pets will likely go down. yes, it's true that those pets will certainly have demand, but the fact there will be more monthly rares will help with that because you'll likely be able to just trade one of the other month's rares for the monthly rare you really want. i just feel like it's a bit redundant for people to not support this suggestion because it will make the game harder. a lot of collectors get tired of collecting solely because of doing monthly swaps every month. it feels like a chore because of how easy it is, but if there were more special outcomes, it would be so much more rewarding when doing your monthly swaps for the collections you care about completing! plus, it's not like people have to trade for those harder to get pets. it's not like, a requirement. if you feel like you can't, or don't, want to complete a specific collection because of the harder to get pets, you don't have to trade for them!

We have a difference in playstyles, and that's ok. I personally like chicken smoothie to be more casual. But I do think it's incorrect of Simon to say this update would help newbies.
As for the "you don't have to get them if it's too hard" point, I am too much of a completionist to just accept that, and I don't want to have to give up on a cool rarer pet just because it's too hard. But I also don't want to spend hours a day trying to get it.

it will help newbies though, because they will be gaining more valuable fodder, when they get these rarer outcomes from the monthly litters? it will allow them to actually be able to get into the trading scene. as it is now the only way to get valuables is from dec 18 and being lucky with the pound.
Last edited by aelius on Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mac | he/they
art shop trade thread
aelius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueEyedKite » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:42 pm

I voted for "I am only interested in occasional significantly harder to achieve outcomes if they are considered “special release” pets and look different from the litter they are released with."

If we are going to release harder to achieve pets, lets go all in. A unique outcome you know by looking it, oh yeah, that's the special release we voted for c:< and let the trading battles comemnse.

Might I suggest malk pet outcomes? A malk dragon in a snake litter. A malk koi with an otter litter? I'll admit I am hungry for those retired lines, so might as well shoot my shot c;
BlueEyedKite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me