COMMUNITY POLL: Rare Monthly Pets

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

What is your opinion on releasing rare pets in monthly releases?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:59 am

I am not interested in any litters having significantly harder to achieve outcomes.
10%
I am interested in a few litters a year that have a significantly harder to achieve outcome.
41%
I am interested in at least one litter a month that has a significantly harder to achieve outcome.
30%
I am only interested in occasional significantly harder to achieve outcomes if they are considered “special release” pets and look different from the litter they are released with.
19%

Total votes : 5954

Re: COMMUNITY POLL: Rare Monthly Pets

Postby Memories » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:32 am

Minimanta wrote:Just look at the hype and wild demand for the Halloween banner pets right now. Because that is what's gonna happen with rare monthlies. That is what has always happened when rare monthlies has dropped. Every single time. Do you REALLY want this on a regular basis? REALLY?
Cause I sure don't.

Although I see your point, remember that this chaos usually dies down. The banner pet is being way overvalued right now but try trading for it in a month, and it will be back to normal. That’s always my strategy and it works.
Memories

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FreddyCenobite » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:02 am

Memories wrote:
Minimanta wrote:Just look at the hype and wild demand for the Halloween banner pets right now. Because that is what's gonna happen with rare monthlies. That is what has always happened when rare monthlies has dropped. Every single time. Do you REALLY want this on a regular basis? REALLY?
Cause I sure don't.

Although I see your point, remember that this chaos usually dies down. The banner pet is being way overvalued right now but try trading for it in a month, and it will be back to normal. That’s always my strategy and it works.

That is true about banner pets and in general most event pets. Usually by the end of the event, not many people care anymore. I tend to see people posting about looking for missing outcomes and pets they're hoarding.

The issue specifically behind this idea is imagine the July lioness and the August PPS. It took me over 3 years to find those two because the demand never went down. Actually, it did the opposite. Imagining that a few times a year. I can't even get the monthly white dog for 6C$. There's more people around now, but if that's supposed to help even stuff out... I'd love to know how. Unless it's a candidate for December 18th, I don't see how that'll fix the overvaluing of random pets on the site.
Basic info:
Pet of the moment:

Disabled adult She/Her Dog mom Ex-retiree
Movie geek Horror fan Halloween lover
My hoards Trade thread Offsite thread
My FRHow close I am to a full CS set
RIP my little butthead ♥️
CS TikoMy Tiko

If I haven’t responded to offer(s), it means I’m thinking
Last half of my user: Sen-uh-bite (send without the “d”)
Prefer no random PMs unless it's about offers
FreddyCenobite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FathomThis » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:37 am

I feel like doing this too often will wreck the point of rare pets, and frustrate players who continuously cant get rare outcomes, as well as unfairly tilt the scales of value in the trading market. If this does become a thing it should be like 3-4 times a year, ot every month.

Cause I sure don't.

whats the banner pet
Last edited by hellevi on Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: do not double post -- edit your first post instead
FathomThis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cuddlewuffle » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:35 am

Cause I sure don't.

i'd agree but honestly if it was happening often enough, nobody would be able to get away with trying to demand overpay for the monthly rare they managed to snag

there would be so many that we'd probably see people asking to swap for last month's, instead of trying to get old rares for theirs

the problem right now is that it only happens every once in a while- which gives them the same amount of hype that banner pets get

so, more of them should fix the problem. people would feel silly trying to auction their rare monthly outcome if they're no longer a novelty & everyone has at least one from at least one of the months
check out my CS pet finder website!

http://whatpetdidiget.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you're not sure what your Dec. 18th pet is worth, DO NOT accept any trades for it until you've checked if it's fair in the thread below!!

December 18th: Is this a fair trade?
cuddlewuffle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby beautifulglitter » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:45 am

Cuddlewuffle wrote:
Cause I sure don't.

i'd agree but honestly if it was happening often enough, nobody would be able to get away with trying to demand overpay for the monthly rare they managed to snag

there would be so many that we'd probably see people asking to swap for last month's, instead of trying to get old rares for theirs

the problem right now is that it only happens every once in a while- which gives them the same amount of hype that banner pets get

so, more of them should fix the problem. people would feel silly trying to auction their rare monthly outcome if they're no longer a novelty & everyone has at least one from at least one of the months

I don't think this would be true at all. Having a spare to swap for someone else's spare outcome in the future would be incredibly uncommon in the first place, and would only help you out once because you'd be bound to miss entirely more often than have dupes. So almost everyone would have to trade “out of pocket”, which is quickly unfeasible (especially for newer/more casual players that don't have folders stuffed with fodder).

Things of the proposed rarity have gone, and continue to go, for EXTREME overpay almost exclusively. Doing all this event trading, I've come across SO MANY people who are still looking for the golden gotcha dog. I mean, look at this bid for a Golden Gatcha dog that was from an auction literally this month.

Does this level of desperation/frustration seem healthy? Is it something you want to have resort to? Because you WILL have to at some point. And you WILL be on the side paying way more times than the side selling.

I understand that people want “chase” pets. My problem is that they already have those- old pets, events, banners, hordes, dreamies, etc. The “collectors” primarily rely upon monthlies, and use a “chase” playstyle if they want to complete older sets. I just don't think it would be healthy for the largely more casual player base to destroy the one casual aspect available to them. I can throw out old and expensive pets to speed run monthlies, but I don't want to, especially when that feeds the “demand monster” that makes being a new player hard.
Want to get transparent pet images? Follow these steps!
  1. You must own the pet in order for this to work!
  2. Go to the Scene (My Stuff->Dressup Scenes)
  3. Create a new Scene
  4. Go to the Pets tab and find the pet you want
  5. Right-click the pet->Copy Image Address
  6. Post away!
beautifulglitter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sprout1424 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:16 pm

it will make me want to adopt more just to insure that I get them!

I’m sorry if I hurt you, I never meant to, I’m still learning, please forgive me…
sprout1424

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cuddlewuffle » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:53 am

beautifulglitter wrote:
- snip-

Things of the proposed rarity have gone, and continue to go, for EXTREME overpay almost exclusively. Doing all this event trading, I've come across SO MANY people who are still looking for the golden gotcha dog. I mean, look at this bid for a Golden Gatcha dog that was from an auction literally this month.

-snip-

The “collectors” primarily rely upon monthlies, and use a “chase” playstyle if they want to complete older sets. I just don't think it would be healthy for the largely more casual player base to destroy the one casual aspect available to them. I can throw out old and expensive pets to speed run monthlies, but I don't want to, especially when that feeds the “demand monster” that makes being a new player hard.

LMAO??? do my eyes deceive me ?? ? what on EARTH is that bid 😭
you have a point, i'll have to agree- i guess i haven't been keeping up with their most recent inflated values because that is insane!!! STORE PETS and rares from 2011?? ?

we traders have officially lost our minds 💀
also, yeah as a collector i should've considered my bias here- the "chase' playstyle is indeed more useful when trying to complete older sets... didn't realize it was THIS useful, but y'know,,

i'll need to change my vote. this would be nightmarish... the only way it would work out is if we all collectively agree to refuse to overpay for them & thus refuse to inflate the value, but that'll never happen
check out my CS pet finder website!

http://whatpetdidiget.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you're not sure what your Dec. 18th pet is worth, DO NOT accept any trades for it until you've checked if it's fair in the thread below!!

December 18th: Is this a fair trade?
cuddlewuffle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby softpaw » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:54 am

I just want to say I would like every month to have at least one 'rare' pet and a VR/OMGsr a few times a year. Would make the monthly adopts way more interesting imo. I don't really trade for monthlies but when I have adopted a 'rare' outcome in the past it has always been so exciting. I've even kept them on my account for 10+ years since I personally value pets that I have adopted myself more then ones I traded for. I think this would be great for new players, these kind of experiences are what makes CS special.

Glad to see this is being considered by CS staff!
Last edited by softpaw on Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
softpaw

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Finch Fry » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:36 am

I'd love to see this! I think it would give newer players opportunities to be more involved in trading and the community more than just during holidays! I remember how hard it seemed to get that first rare pet back in 2011 when I joined. Plus I'd love to have more motivation to trade monthlies, right now I don't really get involved in monthly trading at all.

ImageImageImageImageImage
“And when I found you, you told me to wash my hands, I had been playing outside
And you spoke nothing of the end of the world
Does that mean it never happened?" - A Call, EDEN

Finch ♥ she/her ♥

Finch Fry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:00 am

Cause I sure don't.

Came to say the exact same thing. I would like to see which newbies are benefitting from the release of a rare banner pet or two, because the vast majority my trade attempts for banner pets have been auto cancelled overpay and I hate it. Still yet to get this events banner pets. :D
It makes sense to have a pet like that for an event, but I would never want this to be a regular or common occurrence.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx