Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Sunbeam Forest Map by Rain Ghost

Artist Rain Ghost [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 12 minutes
Drawing sessions 5
4 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Sunbeam Forest Map

Postby Rain Ghost » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:50 am

Hello! This is the map of Sunbeam Forest.

This land is a tropical jungle home to the Sunbeam forest pride, my Valley of Kings pride. This forest is a paradise full of life. Although it is small, the lions who live here love it with all of their hearts. This forest and peninsula has a very hot and wet climate. A drought or cold bought would be fatal if it ever happened. The most commonly populated area is left of the Dragonfly river, especially around Paw Ponds as they provide lots of water. There are villages spread out across the south of the river. Across the river, there are tiny towns and, down by Winnie's Pond, a healer and enchantress who has been said to bless the water of her pond with the ability to heal. The wood surrounding her area is dense and has been enchanted to protect the pond from any sort of threat. If you follow Ivy Inlet long enough, it will lead you to the former home of Sunbeam Forest's founder, Sundew's, old home, the pride of the Dryland. The pride there is hostile and will kill on site. However, they are thousands of miles away from Sunbeam Forest. Because of Sunbeam Forest's remote location, the guard there is peaceful, and their warriors only fight hunger. The warriors of the guard distribute food out evenly to all citizens. During the winter, the guard passes around blankets to protect from the chilly nights. Here we come back to the climate as I note that only the nights get chilly here for the sun shines upon them all year for around twelve hours, rising at 7:00 and setting at 7:00. This pride find themselves in what the humans used to call the equator.
.█████████████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
.|| Stars || xx || xx ||
.▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
.Image
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hello! I'm Rain Ghost <3
She/Her--queer

I'm active Friday-Monday
I love drawing
looking for a toyhouse code

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Imagexxxxx

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
|| Gallery || VOK pride || credit ||
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Imagex..Image
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Rain Ghost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Sunbeam Forest Map

Postby Rain Ghost » Fri May 21, 2021 7:21 am

for 1 bronze feather prompt T(b)2 : Write about the local flora within your group's territory and how they interact with them. What's dangerous? What can be used in medicine? What spices their food?

The plants of Sunbeam Forest are interesting and unique. Some of them are common plants, such as the fern, the palm, and the and some of them only grow in this forest, such as the beam tree that has nearly transparent leaves to take in as much sun as possible. The beam tree's affect are greenish beams of light scattered across the forest and shining through the moist air.

The Sunbeam Forest Pride survives almost entirely on fruit, which is fine because the fruit trees there are abundant and the fruits that grow upon them are juicy and flavorful. You have your average fruit trees, mango, banana, pineapple, orange, papaya, guava, starfruit, kiwi, acai, and any other fruit you may have heard of, but the forest also consists of native fruit such as the heart fruit that has juice as red as blood and tastes like a sweet summer morning.

The forest is also ripe with plants used for their healing abilities. For example there is chamomile, a flower used to cure anxiety, skin irritation, and vomiting. But beyond these normal plants there are plants that have healing properties that can be amplified by a little magic. For an example, lets look at chamomile again. Chamomile is a very powerful flower that symbolizes health and a skilled enchantress can use chamomile to heal almost anything.

This pride also uses varius plants for dishes and spices. Take the flavor berry, that which has seeds that, when applied, can amplify any flavor by more than twice it's usual flavor. Another popular plant used for recipes is the adzuki beans which make a nice addition to salads or curry.

Beyond the friendly and helpful plants, in between the whispering stream and dragonfly river, there are several harmful plants. Poisonous berries, giant vines that can grab onto you, and carnivorous plants. The most infamous plant to the territory lies deep in this part of the forest. Not many have encountered it, but when they have, if they have, we will never hear their story. The Saga Plant got its name from the ominous tales and stories that have lingered in Sunbeam Forest with the plant. The pride who lives here have been here only a short while and so there is a suspicion that the plant is the one who spreads its tales of horror. Some people think the plant is not actually that bad, its only power would be to spread stories in those who live near it's mind. Others think that the plant's power is to drive people insane. However, only a few people in the pride have heard the plant's so called whisperings and those who have have ended up quite insecure.

Sunbeam forest is a place buzzing with life. The lions who live here want to keep it this way. Several of the tribe's jobs consist of plant related activities. One of these many jobs is a treelion. There are two types of tree lions and a single treelion can be both or just one of them. The first thing a treelion can do is take care of trees. This is comprised of watering the tree if there is a bit of dry weather, trimming the branches that are either dead or dying or branches that are causing the tree harm. The tree care giver also makes sure the tree is free from harmful bugs, ones that could be burrowing in it's bark or eating at it's leaves. The second type of treelion is a harvester, they harvest the tree. There can be trees that have several things to harvest, take a coconut tree. The fiber on coconut trees can be used for many things, weaving baskets, or making rugs, mats, brushes, ropes, and caulking. But a harvester type of tree lion manly harvests the fruit from the trees. A treelion's job can also be spread to plants that are not trees such as bushes with healing leaves or plants that bear fruit. A larger term for a treelion is the label IP lion, the IP standing for important plants.

Sunbeam Forest is a forest after all and its native flora is the bane of existence for the growing pride of lions that lives there.

(705 words)
.█████████████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
.|| Stars || xx || xx ||
.▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
.Image
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hello! I'm Rain Ghost <3
She/Her--queer

I'm active Friday-Monday
I love drawing

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Imagexxxxx

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Imagex..Image
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Rain Ghost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rain Ghost » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:44 pm

Because I have done my other prompts her I may as well do this one here. Its kinda related I guess..?

any way here is the prompt:

C(b) 7: What sort of 'homes' do the members of the group have? Where is their 'personal space', or do they have any? Is everything communal? How are homes created/given out as individuals come of age?

Minimum requirement: 700 words or 1 art piece (fullbody, flat color with simple scene minimum)
Awards: 1 bronze feather

here I go...

For the lions of Sunbeam Forest their homes are everything. For one part, the forest itself is special to the pride but the lions here love their actual homes, their houses.

Each of the houses here have been individually crafted with care, built by a dedicated architect. The houses all have a similar style, which mostly has to do with the available resources and the pride's beliefs, the homes are each very cottage-y.

The roofs are always soft thatched roofs made from bundles of straw or water reeds. There are quite a few ponds and water sources in the forest and straw is hard to grow without land free from tree cover so water reed thatched roofs are more popular. This roof also does a considerably well job keeping out the weather, and with the help of the tree cover, the roofs only need to be repaired or replaced only about once a year.

Building the base of the house is the tricky part. It shouldn't be, since the forest is made up of wood material, but the pride values plant life, especially their trees. Tree care taken into mind, the pride has a grove of trees that are only for home building. On top of this, before cutting down the tree you mean to use to build a home, you must plant three more of this type of tree using the seeds from the tree's blossoms. This tactic not only replenishes the trees' population, it helps make the amount of trees much bigger. The trees are thick and strong and so a small house can be built using a single on of the trees. The base of most homes are made mostly of wood. Despite the strict but working method of restoring these valuable trees some lions are feel very strongly about tree health and life and use only stones for their homes. Yet others use a mix of both.

At this point you must be wondering about windows. Do the homes even have windows? Are the windows only open holes in the building? The lions of the Sunbeam Forest Pride value sunshine and so large walls of windows are incorporated into each house, sometimes even as sunroofs. Windows are made from the leaf of the wonderful beam tree. The leaves of this plant, as previously mentioned in another entry, Are almost perfectly clear with a greenish tint. The practicality of this sort of leaf for this tree is that it is quite a short tree and must take in as much sun as possible from its point below most other trees. When used as windows beam tree leaves provide a pleasant green glow when sun shines through them.

The last part of a house is outdoor space. the pride believes all land belongs to the earth and all who inhabit it but they are each allowed 300 paws by 300 paws of outdoor space as long as they share the space with whomever and whatever would like to roam. The 300 by 300 paws of outdoor space are not set in stone and can be lowered depending on the location of the house and wants of the home owner.

Houses are given to an individual on their fifth birthday, when they some of age. Houses can be ordered in advance, built buy the lion before their birthday, or passed down to the lion through their family. Mostly, lions order them in advance and an architect creates a personalized house for the lion. The architect bases the house on the lion's plans for their future. For example, how many cubs are they planing to have? Does the lion want a spouse? What is their situation with wanting a pet? Do they have any hobbies? What job does the lion plan to have? These questions can help the architect know what will be useful for their customer's home to have in the future.

Lions without the necessary funds to have their own home are always welcome to stay in one of the small houses the leaders of the pride have constructed all about the main village until they have enough Leaf to build their own home. These houses are one room with a small bedding area and outdoor kitchenette. These houses are free and comfortable for a single lion or a couple.
.█████████████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
.|| Stars || xx || xx ||
.▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
.Image
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hello! I'm Rain Ghost <3
She/Her--queer

I'm active Friday-Monday
I love drawing

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Imagexxxxx

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Imagex..Image
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Rain Ghost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rain Ghost » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:50 am

T 07: What sort of illnesses are common with your territory and how does your group combat them?

Minimum requirement: 150 words/flat fullbody drawing
Awards: 1 white feather

Sunbeam Forest is full of natural life. Because of this, the local plants have some very interesting defense techniques most of them involving illnesses. The two most infamous plants known for this are the Berry Bush and the Wallaby Tree. Both have very passive names given to them by the people of the pride.

The Berry Bush is a bush bearing fruit. It looks like a normal fruit but when eaten can cause heart problems in the lion. As soon as a bite is taken from the fruit the lion would feel a sharp pain in their heart and will die quickly within 14 suns (days).

The Wallaby Tree has been around for as long as the plants of Sunbeam forest can remember. The certain thing the Wallaby Tree does leaves evidence in the local flora and can be read and remembered like a memory. When cut down the Wallaby Tree lets out a clear gaseous substance that cannot be seen. It is slightly heaver than the air of the area and this is the only distinguishing factor of the gas other than its effects. The Wallaby Tree has been the reason for extinctions of entire prides because its gases worm its way into lions' bodies and break all of the systems. Thankfully, Wallaby Trees are rare and easy to tell apart from other trees with its florescent pink leaves. On top of this its effects only work within a small range.
.█████████████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
.|| Stars || xx || xx ||
.▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
.Image
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hello! I'm Rain Ghost <3
She/Her--queer

I'm active Friday-Monday
I love drawing

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬