Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Marking Guide: Agouti (old) by ~HєуRєι~

Based on Click to view
Artist ~HєуRєι~ [gallery]
Time spent 2 hours, 3 minutes
Drawing sessions 7
13 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Marking Guide: Agouti (old)

Postby ~HєуRєι~ » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:15 pm

A Locus

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

The A Locus, commonly referred to as 'Agouti', controls how and where the eumelanin (B Locus) appears on a dog with kᵇʳkᵇʳ, kᵇʳkʸ, or kyky (K Locus). There are varying degrees of Agouti, starting at Sable, then Agouti, then Tanpoint, and last Recessive Black.

Sable appears on the black, tail, ears, and top of the head and does not appear much further down the legs or face. However Sable has been seen to vary in intensity, although the reasons are unknown as the gene itself remains the same within each variation.
Shaded Sable is seen typically by itself within established breeds rather than with masking or other markings. They are most distinct and appear with the classic Sable "Widow's Peak". Often Shaded Sable can be difficult to distinguish against Grizzle/Domino (E Locus) however the widow's peak is distinct to Sable. Occasionally some dogs may have extremely dark shaded sable, which may actually be carrying Tanpoint which is causing the dark shading and making the dog look as though they have tanpoints rather than sable.
Tipped Sable is much more faded but still seen best within the head, ears, and back area- sometimes on the tail as well. They typically are seen with Masking (E Locus) but can be seen without, usually with the classic widow's peak as well.
Clear Sable is the hardest to distinguish, especially against Recessive Red (E Locus), however the best way to tell is if there are any black hairs on the body. Most commonly Clear Sables are seen with Masking which may make it easier to tell between them and Recessive Red.

Wild Sable, different than the name itself and is often referred to as "Wolf Grey" or "Agouti". The fur on these coats are banded and appear almost "tipped" because of that, rather than the more solid coat of Sable. While similar to Sable, it is known that one way to tell is their "Spectacles" around their eyes. The markings appear darkest on the top of the head, back, and tail tip. When combined with Phaeomelanin Intensity (I Locus), the coat becomes very similar to the tones of grey colored wolves, creating the name Wolf Grey. Sometimes Wild Sable may significantly lighten on the dog, alongside the Phaeomelanin color, as the dog ages.
Something interesting is Border Collies that have the aʷ gene appear as Tanpoints rather than Wild Sable. It is currently still unknown why that is.

Tanpoint appears on the majority of the body, except for the muzzles, chest, legs, and under the tail. The eumelanin present is solid and typically is left with few variations without being modified by another gene. The most well known but often mistaken for a version of sable on adults, is the RALY modifier (RALY) which makes the tanpoints over growing from puppy to adult, recede the black into a sable-like pattern on the back.

Recessive Black is nearly if not completely indistinguishable visually from Dominant Black, without genetic testing. On occasion, Tanpoints with Recessive Black as a recessive may appear to have more muddied tanpoints.

AʸAʸ, Aʸaʷ, Aʸaᵗ, or Aʸa = Sable
    aʷaʷ, aʷaᵗ, or aʷa = Wild Sable
    aᵗaᵗ or aᵗa = Tanpoint
    aa = Recessive Black

aʸᵗ = Recombinant Fawn (Seems to occur only in some breeds. Appears to look the same as normal Sable or Tanpoint when paired with aᵗ. Unknown placement)
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Last edited by ~HєуRєι~ on Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:31 am, edited 13 times in total.

Imageℝ𝕖𝕚 ❀ 𝕋𝕙𝕖𝕪/𝕋𝕙𝕖𝕞 ❀ 𝔸𝕕𝕦𝕝𝕥Image
《━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━》
ImageImageImageℂ𝟜ℂ 𝕋𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕕𝕊𝕒𝕝𝕖𝕤 𝕋𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕕𝕋𝕖𝕣𝕞𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕊𝕖𝕣𝕧𝕚𝕔𝕖ℂ𝕊𝕋

« Hello! My name is Rei, I'm a chronically ill and neurodivergent artist
and designer. I've been on CS since 2012 and am generally friendly if
a bit intimidated by strangers. I am most active on discord so please
contact me there under the user HeyRei if you need anything! »

𝕐𝕠𝕦 𝕞𝕒𝕪 𝕜𝕟𝕠𝕨 𝕞𝕖 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞: 𝕊𝕖𝕔𝕠𝕟𝕕 ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕔𝕖 𝕊𝕙𝕖𝕝𝕥𝕖𝕣 , ℝ𝕚𝕤𝕖 , ℝ𝕖𝕥𝕦𝕣𝕟 ,𝕂𝕖𝕝𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕤
𝕊𝕙𝕖𝕝𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔽𝕠𝕣 𝔸𝕟𝕘𝕖𝕝𝕤
ImageImageImageImage
~HєуRєι~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Marking Guide: Agouti Series

Postby COOLDOGOOO » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:25 pm

Omg the visual is so helpful! Thank you, this helps so much <33
had severe oekaki art block for a while, slowly trying to get back to doing comms- please let me know if i owe you art in case i forgot!! <3

my toyhouse <3

Check out Vidapup's free
sig pets
! <3

Please consider commissioning me; I appreciate it a lot! <3

had last 1426 oekaki
COOLDOGOOO

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Marking Guide: Agouti Series

Postby RadioactiveRenegade » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:52 pm

This is so helpful!
RadioactiveRenegade

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Marking Guide: Agouti

Postby Spiritstar3 » Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:30 am

German Shepherd markings!
(Or, well, probably other dogs too)
Spiritstar3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~HєуRєι~ » Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:32 am

Spiritstar3 wrote:German Shepherd markings!
(Or, well, probably other dogs too)

Actually not german shepherd markings! german shepherds dont have typical agouti marks, theyre mostly (except for some that have wild sable/agouti/wolf grey) tanpoint effected by RALY

𝕊𝕙𝕖𝕝𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔽𝕠𝕣 𝔸𝕟𝕘𝕖𝕝𝕤
ImageImageImageImage
~HєуRєι~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spiritstar3 » Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:36 am

Kay kay
(I've seen a tan German Shepherd with a blue back marking and it said the color is powder blue. I don't know what kind of marking that is though. Would that count as raly?)
Spiritstar3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~HєуRєι~ » Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:41 am

Spiritstar3 wrote:Kay kay
(I've seen a tan German Shepherd with a blue back marking and it said the color is powder blue. I don't know what kind of marking that is though. Would that count as raly?)

That'd be RALY yeah! Typically theyre called Saddle markings, its just one of many expressions of RALY effecting Tanpoints (which is a marking and does not refer to the color of the dog).

𝕊𝕙𝕖𝕝𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔽𝕠𝕣 𝔸𝕟𝕘𝕖𝕝𝕤
ImageImageImageImage
~HєуRєι~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spiritstar3 » Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:41 am

~HєуRєι~ wrote:
Spiritstar3 wrote:Kay kay

That'd be RALY yeah! Typically theyre called Saddle markings, its just one of many expressions of RALY effecting Tanpoints (which is a marking and does not refer to the color of the dog).

XD good to know.
Spiritstar3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby daybreak. » Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:46 am

~HєуRєι~ wrote:Actually not german shepherd markings! german shepherds dont have typical agouti marks, theyre mostly (except for some that have wild sable/agouti/wolf grey) tanpoint effected by RALY

Hey, Rei! XD I am once again best by curiosity given your comment here. I have a friend who owns a German Shepherd, her name is Sam. Sam looks much more like this Sable (tipped) doggo you've drawn here than any of the dogs on your RALY gene sheet :O

What's going on? Here are some pictures of Sam c:

ImageImage
daybreak.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Marking Guide: Agouti (old)

Postby ~HєуRєι~ » Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:56 am

Hello hello!! augh what a pretty pup <3 <3 and an excellent question!

Generally speaking, GSD Show standards have RALY tanpoint (at), also known as Saddles or (in other breeds) Creeping Tan, which is what I was referencing. However RALY does vary greatly from having very little effect creating a dog with a lot of black, to having a massive effect with a dog with a very tiny saddle. The pup here could be the latter case or be the (more likely) case of Sable (Ay) appearing in the lineage depending on the parentage! They still for sure have a mask (masks also vary greatly!) but without seeing a puppy photo it would be hard to determine.

So you very much are correct! They could very well be one of the non standard/uncommon standard tipped sable GSDs, though the pup probably still has RALY as it only shows when tanpoint is involved so it may be a hidden gene here!

It still does stand though that what GSD breeders refer to as "Sable" in GSD, is not in fact genetically what testers would refer to as "Sable" and instead RALY effected tanpoints!

𝕊𝕙𝕖𝕝𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔽𝕠𝕣 𝔸𝕟𝕘𝕖𝕝𝕤
ImageImageImageImage
~HєуRєι~