Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

The Froth-Tree Moth by Soulsplosion

Based on Click to view
Artist Soulsplosion [gallery]
Time spent 22 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
11 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

The Froth-Tree Moth

Postby Soulsplosion » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Introduction
The Froth-Tree moth is a massive, fur-laiden creature notorious for its tendency to suck the blood of its prey.
Name
This creature's name is derived by its moth-like eyes and wings, though in reality it has little to do with the common insect we witness every day. The source of the term "Froth" in its name is controversial as to whether it came from its frothy-white fur or the species of tree it inhabits, a massive, white-branched plant known as the Freteth Tree.
Anatomy
This creature stands at 17 (5.2 meters) feet in length, with a wingspan of 20 feet (6.1 meters) and a height, measured at its eyelevel, of 8 feet (2.4 meters).
It is characterized mainly by its thick body, which is heavily muscled beneath the thick pelt of course white fur in order to haul its large mass up structures (such as when climbing a Freteth tree). Its head is wide and flat with a pair of large, gray eyes--these odd football-shaped stones are protected by a shield of hard armor as a protection to the irritants its thick, course fur causes, as well as the toxic pollen produced by the Freteth Tree's spores. Despite seeming slate-gray and blank from the outside, these parts behave as 1-way-mirrors, out of which photoreceptors can still receive light according to a complex series of microscopic structures organizing the interior structures into cone-shapes, which restrict light from escaping while allowing plenty to enter--basically, you can't look into them from the outside, but they can look out from the inside. This also functions as a self-defense or helpful method of capturing victims, as they may often play dead in order to lure prey closer.
On either side of its flat mouth are 2 pairs of gray, stony fangs, the larger and upper of which are inside while the smaller bottom-jaw fangs reside on the outside. Between them lay rows upon rows of tiny, ridged incisors, which they use to lock their prey in place and form a sort of suction in order to efficiently drink the blood of its victims. They have no tongue, as their method of eating does not require one. At the back of their head are a pair of long ears, heavily smothered in fluff; though it is not known whether this fluff is to improve their hearing abilities, behave as flower-like camouflage when raised, or both. Either way, they have excellent hearing capable of detecting the supersonic noises their species uses to communicate.
They have 4 limbs--an indication of how they are not related to actual Moths--which, like every other part of their body, are heavily smothered in fluff. These limbs each have 4 thick talons useful for gripping and piercing hard surfaces in order to cling to the tough bark of trees, and possess incredible strength in order to pin down prey. Their tails are long and feathered, yet prehensile; they are incredibly useful in flight, and one would not be able to glide anywhere without them.
Lastly are their wings. Despite their wings' size, their massive, heavy body restricts flight to a certain degree, only allowing brief glides or a jump-boost. Beneath these wings is a thin layer of blue fur, covered by a thicker layer of white fur; the muscles on these wings are very delicate, and they can even move the rows of fur to either cover the blue, or reveal it. By rapidly changing the color of their wings through these methods, they can easily confuse prey. On their wings is also a massive marking which appears to be massive glaring eyes; by making their fur stand on end, spreading their wings apart, and flashing their wing colors, these animals can possess prey with the hallucination of an enormous, color-flashing monster staring straight at them.
Defenses, abilities, and attacks
-Their main power is their strength. In their homeland, this strength is used for hauling their heavy bodies up trees; on Earth, where no such habitats exist, it is instead useful for ripping cars apart or smashing through the walls of a building.
-Their pairs of large fangs will dig into their prey and hold a solid grip, while the smaller fangs hook in to produce an unescapable suction-cup like grip.
-With wings incapable of extended periods of flight, their adapted abilities to leap large distances is phenomenal.
-If one ever encountered a foe it cannot defeat--mainly, other Froth-Tree Moths--it may play dead, and lure its victim in with a surprise attack.
-The markings on their wings appear as massive eyes. They will often spread their wings apart on either side of them as well as lift every strand of fur on their body, making them appear to triple in size. The sight of such an enormous creature with eyes as big as those markings will frighten almost any prey.
Homeland
Froth-Tree Moths live in the land of Harum Unam. This is a dimension which was birthed as a branch-off of our own existence produced by energies which snapped apart, weaving together into 2 entirely separate entities. It is but one of the many sub-dimensions coexisting alongside our own.
Freteth Trees
The main decoration of this dimension is the Freteth Tree--a tree which evolved to maximum potential, killing off all other trees competing with it and conquering the entire dimension in nature's eternal, even if unseen, war for dominance. It alone monitors the amounts of minerals in the soil, with specially adapted roots absorbing and releasing and producing energy in an entirely sustainable way, even in the case of overpopulation. These trees are characterized by massive structures that can reach as tall as a 15-story building, as they must in order to sustain a population of Froth-Tree Moths living on their branches. Their bark is a milky white, though their leaves are another thing--they have patches of soft, rubbery white bristles, which Froth Moths easily camouflage in.
The spores of this tree are toxic to humans and Earthen species, though their own neighbors have long adapted to the enormous plants which preside over them in their homeland.
Lifestyle
Froth Moths live in large groups lead by a single alpha male, who declares all mating rights restricted from the few subordinate males. This "Clan" inhabits a single tree, which it claims as its territory. All subjects living within the same clan have a distinct scent, which despite their identical appearances, is used to differentiate between particular beings. Every male heir born to the Alpha is allowed to stay, but when they begin to reach the age that they would threaten their fathers' sovereignty, they are driven from the clan. Whichever child is still around when the alpha male dies is the one to inherit the territory, if it is not taken by him by a competitor (who will often kill the heir if it is a child).
Communication
With no tongue to speak with, Froth-Tree Moths communicate by emitting supersonic screeches, which humans cannot hear other than an extremely high-pitched whistling. Usually, it is used to speak with each other, though if they so pleased, they could scream it loud enough to shatter glass, make insects drop from the air, and cause deafness. This technique is ineffective against others of their own kind.
Repopulation
Harum Unam is a land of everlasting summer, so there is no such thing as 'mating season'. It's just whenever the alpha's up to it and a female's ready to rumble. Though they are aliens with no relations to Earth creatures, they evolved the same method of reproduction. After 3 months the female will select a hollowed, protected area of the tree to lay her egg sack--a cluster of about 5-8 eggs held together by silky threads. Only a few of these eggs will hatch, and some more will die of the Freteth Tree's heavy toxins before reaching adulthood--as the species at the top of the food chain, this and the scramble for territory is the only thing that keeps them from overpopulating.

History with Humans
We all know what world history is, but imagine how much was left out. How many nations were actually successful in wiping their enemies off the face of the Earth? How many entire civilizations and cultures were completely eradicated from our textbooks? There is no true way of knowing.

Official Necromancy began a few hundred years B.C., at no set date, in the culture of a pre-historical Asian village who, after a natural-occurring portal occurred between our dimension and one of the neighbors, acquired knowledge of the other universes living a step away from our own. This knowledge soon became a primary figure of their culture; the summoning of "Demons", the term given to creatures from other dimensions as they were mistaken as the monsters from the Bible, was often used in wars and control. The King would often use a high-ranking Demon's loyalty as an indication of his indisputable right to rule, as was given to him by the decision of the universes.
Knowledge of this necromancy was only given to well-trained priests and carefully kept out of the hands of those who would misuse it, though as years upon years passed, it was soon found that doing so was just too difficult. These creatures summoned from other dimensions would cause massive trauma on our petty Earthen planet; Froth-Moths, mainly, were creatures used for war and slaughter. Their pack-like lifestyle makes them incredibly loyal and virtually undefeatable in a group, and legions of them could raze palaces to the ground; their skills with long-distance echolocation ensured that no enemy would escape. Eventually, it was agreed by the High Priests of Necromancy that these creatures would destroy our planet if humans proceeded to use them in our selfish ways. It was not a point to argue--the millions of people who had suffered beneath the wars, being invaded by undefeatable bloodthirsty monsters, eagerly agreed with the cull for necromancy. Wars were raged in order to tear apart the long-practiced culture that would tear civilization to threads; rebellions against their evil, beast-reliant lords ripped the practice to pieces.
In an effort to ensure that such knowledge would never again enter the hands of mankind, all scrolls containing any resemblance of the events were burned in fires. Entire cities gathered to cheer the burning of the past, forgetting all the war and fighting that had once plagued their nations--anything that could possibly contain knowledge of this necromancy was eliminated, as people will go to great efforts in order to ensure a world without chaos.

Summoning
Traditionally the practice of legitimate necromancy by these standards would be conducted through the creation of a pentagram-like circle across a flattened area, preferably an area made of stone. Depending on the type of spell, different combinations of certain chemicals in the form of sandy grains would have to be used, and the surroundings aided to its power just as well (for example, circles of standing stones). According to the specific mixtures of the chemicals a significant disbalance would occur in the flesh of the universe, causing it to become increasingly unstable in that area and therefore increasing the likeliness of a 'hole' opening. Different chemicals could be used to form a specific portal to a specific subdimension, and, within that dimension, to certain areas and targeting certain life forms, allowing for specific spells to be conducted aimed at a certain alien of choice. These pentagrams were often drawn with symbols, though, realistically, these symbols did little if anything to aid in the summoning; they were mainly the results of culture and religious beliefs that writing on these circles could communicate to the Gods, while it was really the chemicals doing all the work.
Taming
Obviously, Froth-Tree Moths, and any other creature summoned through these methods, would usually be vicious and deadly. Subsequently, summoners would have to be accompanied by warriors, sometimes even an entire army, and/or other lower-level 'demons' previously summoned and tamed. Sometimes, if performed in a circle of standing stones, ropes would be tied to objects above and designed to drop on the summoned creature shortly after entering this existence. As Froth Moths function through the hierarchy of a pack, all a summoner has to do is defeat and, therefore, establish dominance over its subordinate. Through frequent intimidation, while not pestering the creature into rebellion, its loyalty could easily be achieved with proper preparation for the battle and consistent reassurance of one's dominance afterwards.
Training and Usage in Wars
Just like any dog or pet, training a Froth Moth can be achieved through positive (or negative) reinforcement, such as being fed or rewarded for doing the right thing at the right command. These large creatures also have large brains, and are entirely capable of comprehending human speech and orders. It is easier to teach them in groups, as they are social creatures used to living in clans.
Because of their incredible strength, undying loyalty to their Alpha, and that they were generally easy to tame one by one, Froth Moths are often one of the most preferred species for wars, and are often used as beasts for intimidation and destruction. The best trained of them were often protected with armor and occasionally guards tasked with the duty of defending the more-important warrior.

hi im soul !!!
im a digital artist and game designer
im not very active here anymore
im an adult with a job now

Donate to the PCRF

My dinosaur survival game on roblox
Deviantart
Tumblr
Soulsplosion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The Froth-Tree Moth

Postby dundundundun » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Idk why but I just think this is cute! :)
Good job and good luck!
dundundundun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The Froth-Tree Moth

Postby jasps » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:13 am

Pls yes.