Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Species Concept by mars

Based on Click to view
Artist mars [gallery]
Time spent 11 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
One person likes this Log in to vote for this drawing

Species Concept

Postby mars » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:49 pm

This was a species concept I came up with a year ago (and I also drew these really bad lines a year ago too, that's why they're a bit creepy OTL).
I was just wondering, if I COMPLETELY revamped the lines and edited the species info a bit, if anyone might be interested in adopting them? ^^

Here's what I wrote a year ago:

What is this creature?

A gingin, or GG for short, is a small mammal native to the deserts of Australia. It somewhat resembles a mix between a cat and a kangaroo, with a small pouch on it's belly to shelter it's young. They are usually a rusty orange or sandy brown, and are very fluffy to help blend them in with the undergrowth they live around.

The name 'gingin' means 'footprint' in the aboriginal Australian's language. These creatures are about the size of a meerkat, so the name strongly fits them. They also seem to behave like meerkats, creating extravagant burrows and foraging for insects. Gingin burrows can contain up to 500 'dens', small cave-like structures used to store food, sleep in, or bury the dead. It is currently believed that each burrow can contain up to 100 gingins! Very few burrows are known to exist.

Gingins have lived in Australia for thousands of years, but it is unclear to the exact number. Scientists estimate that their species has remained the same for up to 40,000 years, living side-by-side with native Aboriginal people. In fact, these people were believed to of kept them as companions at some point, giving them masks in honor of their 'spirit likeness'. It's due to many legends surrounding them, gingins only come out to forage at night and in the moonlight look similar to ghosts. The people seem to of also taught the gingins to care for the masks, using poisonous fruit to stain them and keep termites out of the old wood.

Gingins quickly had to learn to survive without their aboriginal companions as a new evolution occurred, the modern human, who quickly took over the aborigines and made them go extinct! Without anyone to care for them, they fled into abandoned burrows in the desert, learning to dig and forage. They wore the old masks as a sign of distrust to humans, only daring to leave the burrows to find food.

Baby gingins, known as nees, are born in the burrows each spring. In six months they will mature, and will then be considered ready to venture outside. When a baby matures into a teen, the older gingins will give up their masks and switch from being foragers to burrowers. They will never see the light of day again, and will remain underground as they are considered 'imperfect' and 'unpure'. The older gingins are built for tunneling and digging, with large clumsy paws. Their smaller children are more nimble at catching flying bugs and crawling insects, remaining hidden easier in the sparse undergrowth. Once they get older and have a baby of their own, they will retire underground. Each adult can only have one baby, making them much rarer in the wild.

To this day, gingins still distrust humans. They are considered very rare in the wild, with a possibility of going extinct within the next few hundred years. It is believed that only up to 500 remain in the wild, will you save a gingin before it's too late?

I was thinking that maybe, instead of their fur color being so plain, that they could come in any variety of natural colors/patterns with unnatural patterns a bit rarer. They would come in three varieties of masks, each from a different home burrow, with custom masks as special rare adopts or customs (these would have no home burrow, but would be loners before they were taken in by humans to help rescue the species). I would also edit this info quite a bit, as a lot of it would need changed in my opinion, though I do like the backstory of them being animals deemed as spirits. I do sort of want them to have human-like qualities and personalities so they can be roleplayed, though this might be a bit hard to achieve?

What do you guys think? Any input is greatly welcomed, as well as questions, comments, suggestions, etc. <3

화성 여성 레즈 감각처리장애 + 광장공포증

hi !! I'm mars, a gal with spd + agoraphobia.
I frequent the oc + adoptables side of cs.

my interests rn include genshin, skz,
learning languages, and drawing !! :3c

my cs inbox is full so please chat w/ me
on discord @ mars_v_e

나는 네가 자랑스럽다. 계속 최선을 다하거라 ♡

mars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups