Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Re: Think before you say "EEEEEEW"

Postby Larkspur1678 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:39 am

Love the picture<3 People also call rats dirty, when indeed they wash themselves everyday. What's so different about a rat anyway? You call hamsters and gerbils cute yet hate on rats? If they are harming your business, like in a restaurant kitchen, then I understand and you should be upset about it, but you should be angry at yourself for letting it get that bad and not the rat. I also totally agree with the overpopulation thing. Pretty much all animals are only on 'our' property because we took away theirs and they have nowhere else to live. Just look at how many species have already gone extinct solely because of humans. Eventually there'll be barely any wild animals left.

Adult • She/they
Toyhouse

Icon by MRLFRK on FA
Animation by DarkMoonRay on Twitter
Larkspur1678

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Great ME! » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:46 am

Spotty wrote:This drawing made me smile. I love the expression you made for the rat, it looks great. I have pet rats, they are my favourite animals and just the best pets in the world. I would never change owning rats for any other kind of pet, they are clever, playful, loving... Just great animals really.

I get that reaction when I talk about my rats a lot. It's always "...but they are pests with disgusting tails?" e_e

Yeah. I had gerbils x3 Wonderful critters and really intelligent.
Only reason I don't want to do it again is I can never just lay around and relax with them out or they might chew things they aren't supposed to or disappear xD I was always afraid of that happening, only reason I prefer dogs or cats. Otherwise rodents are great~<3
Plus if you don't get them from a pet store they tend to have more health problems since most petstore gerbils are inbred to get their colors(especially ornate or collie-marking ones ;w; always stick with natural agouti colored gerbils. I learned that one the hard way)

Tabby Bae wrote:
Hehe, such a good picture XD
I love rats, they are beautiful creatures and much more intelligent than some animals (some even say more intelligent than a 2 year old human which is amazing for an animal). <3 Also, the tails... my favourite part about them ;u;

Yeah, rodents are way smarter than a lot of people give them credit for ^^
Don't even get me started on their scapegoat shinnanigans against their littermates, omg but it's hilarious
They can lay false blame just as well as any people I know XD

Larkspur wrote:Love the picture<3 People also call rats dirty, when indeed they wash themselves everyday. What's so different about a rat anyway? You call hamsters and gerbils cute yet hate on rats? If they are harming your business, like in a restaurant kitchen, then I understand and you should be upset about it, but you should be angry at yourself for letting it get that bad and not the rat. I also totally agree with the overpopulation thing. Pretty much all animals are only on 'our' property because we took away theirs and they have nowhere else to live. Just look at how many species have already gone extinct solely because of humans. Eventually there'll be barely any wild animals left.

Yeah, rats, mice, and gerbils are pretty clean animals(can't say the same for hampsters, I've seen how messy they can be xD)
People act like "OMG but a rat poops and you have to clean its cage so it's a filthy animal!" as if dogs and cats don't do the same.
And yep, on the human thing. People need to stop acting like resources are limitless and we can take whatever we want with no reproccussion. One day it's going to seroiusly come back to bite us all in the ass and you can't blame that one on anyone else except for we humans.
Last edited by The Great ME! on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

*Freelance*
*Animator*

Year of the Rooster
Neat, organized, alert, perfectionist, scientific, responsible.
Can be critical, egotistical, rough, opinionated.

When it rains it pours
When the floodgates open
Brace your shores

That pressure don't care when it breaks your doors
Say
"it's all you can take"
Better take some more

Cuz I know what it's like to test faith
Had my shoulders pressed with that weight
Stood up strong in spite of that hate

Night gets darkest right before dawn
What don't kill you makes you more strong
And I been waiting for it so long
~”Light That Never Comes”, Linkin Park
The Great ME!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ghftz. » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:20 pm

This. Everything about it.
It's like the vast majority of our species has a gigantic, unwaveringly asinine chip fused onto our shoulders.
Just.. people really need to pull their heads out of their backsides.
Honestly..
ghftz.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby van » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:29 pm

ahh wow this is really cute the rat's expression is perfect
i feel like 'but their tails are gross and hairless!' is what i get the most with my rats but gosh their tails are so soft i don't see why people hate them so much
van

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tixij » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:09 pm

omg yes i love you. so so much.

i, myself, have loved animals for like... forever. i have a bunch of budgies right now, but i had a couple of frogs, tadpoles, crabs, and fish before them (i love aquatic animal okay XD). apparently my brother killed my tadpole because he thought it was disgusting. i cried for days since then, because i was pretty young and i didn't understand why he would do that. it had legs too ;-;

but back to the point, i don't understand the reason why people kill things because they aren't cute and cuddly. my mom hit my bird because he tried to grab onto her finger, yet she calls people the most sweetest and understanding things on the earth when they practically murder each other every day. seriously? i think we practically destroyed the earth by destroying animals' homes, like the very beautiful quagga. my friends called animals stupid because they can't communicate with us and do things we think are not good. we put our expectations on every single thing, and it bothers me.

one of my friends are obsessed with rats (rats are so cute, i really wanted to care for an injured one when i was younger but my mom said no) but my other friends were disgusted by her choice of the animal she loves. i mean, the only reason rats live in these places was because we destroyed their old homes.

whenever i go to the suburbs i always see the chance to make a wildlife preserve. just in my home in chicago there are only three (with quality) that i know of. they aren't even that big. once, when i was in first grade, a young doe got hit and killed with a car because it was on the highway, no home to go to.

//endofrant

your picture is exactly how i feel about people like the ones you described, and i thank you for that. i hope more people come by this and understand the pain we put animal through<3
FIGHT LIKE A GIRL
toyhou.sefrdApfq
tixij

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby angely-sugar » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Oh my gosh. So true.
I love rats so much, really. I think they're cute :3
~those who fly solo~

ImageImage

watch my UR phoenix and offsite cinnabun grow!

~have the strongest wings~
angely-sugar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dragon Reine » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:43 pm

Thank you.
I think this should go for all animals.
┎━━━━━━━━━┒
▆▆▆ † ▆▆
┖━━━━━━━━━┚
LOST IN THE
YOU CRASH
━ ━into mycoast
IM WAITING FOR
your━ ━ ━━ ━ ━━
xImage
to wash away
━━━━━━━━━
xxtext text text
xxtext text text
xxtext text text
xxtext text text
━━━━━━━━━
━ ━
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
▒▒
▓▓
▓▓
▓▓
▒▒
▒▒
░░
░░
---
ImageImage
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
and are there any━━━━
xxImage
━━━━━━ ━━━ ━ ━━━
text
text
text
text
text
text

━━━ ━━━━━━ ━━━ ━
Dragon Reine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Great ME! » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Oh gosh, so many comments and votes already ;w;

I don't really have the patience to go through and individually reply to every single one xD But thanks you guys, never gotten so much love on my art before ;w;
And gotta say, you all took the words right out of my mouth...er...text out of my fingers xD

Also...a random thought that came to mind
I wonder how many people are currently screaming behind their computers going
"WHERE'S THE DISLIKEVOTE BUTTON?!?" to this :lol:

*Freelance*
*Animator*

Year of the Rooster
Neat, organized, alert, perfectionist, scientific, responsible.
Can be critical, egotistical, rough, opinionated.

When it rains it pours
When the floodgates open
Brace your shores

That pressure don't care when it breaks your doors
Say
"it's all you can take"
Better take some more

Cuz I know what it's like to test faith
Had my shoulders pressed with that weight
Stood up strong in spite of that hate

Night gets darkest right before dawn
What don't kill you makes you more strong
And I been waiting for it so long
~”Light That Never Comes”, Linkin Park
The Great ME!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tom Bombadil » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Dragon's Bane wrote:
Thank you.
I think this should go for all animals.

I agree!
Tom Bombadil

Ѳℓ∂ Ƭσм βσмвα∂ιℓ ιƨ α мɛяяʏ ғɛℓℓσω!
βяιɢнт вℓʋɛ нιƨ ʝαcκɛт ιƨ, αи∂ нιƨ вσσтƨ αяɛ ʏɛℓℓσω!
Ƭнɛяɛ αяɛ иσиɛ ωнσ нαʌɛ cαʋɢнт нιм ʏɛт, ғσя σℓ∂ Ƭσм нɛ ιƨ тнɛ Ѧαƨтɛя!
Ħιƨ ƨσиɢƨ αяɛ ƨтяσиɢɛя ƨσиɢƨ αи∂ нιƨ ғɛɛт αяɛ ғαƨтɛя!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Tom Bombadil

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Koschei » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Amen to this. Heck, people look worried when I tell them I used to have a pet snake and rat because, of course,
"EEEW, DISGUSTING!"
Yeah, not really.

Love the title, too! And the rats face x3
Koschei

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me