年年有魚

Postby womp womp » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:55 am

Username: Diamond Sapphire
    Kalon Name: Blair
    Do they have any superstitions they live by? [230 words] Never. Ever. Cross. Both. Of. Your. Fingers. Simple.

I have always clung onto the fact that crossing your fingers will bring good luck. And crossing both fingers? Double good luck? Heck, no way. Might as well be double the bad luck, actually. In fact, that sounds pretty true. Proof? You want proof? Of course. I wouldn't live by the superstition without any personal experiences.

It was class. We were suppose to study something last night, yet I completely forgot and fell right asleep. Foolish enough, but I needed a bit of luck so the teacher wouldn't call on me to answer the question. If I was called, it'd be utter humiliation. So what I did was instead of crossing my fingers on one hand, I crossed both.

And two words. No, the two words weren't "it worked", it was: Bad idea.

I suppose you could figure out what happened afterwards. I got called on, and I sat there in silence. Saying nothing. It started with a suppressed giggle, until it took a turn into a roar of laughter. Never again I crossed both fingers.

Silly thing that it was only a one time experienced, but I was admittedly too afraid to bother testing it out again. So always - always - I had crossed his fingers on one hand. Never ever again both. And I plan to never.

Unless I need bad luck?
Last edited by womp womp on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
womp womp

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Regular Event Adopt #9 - 年年有魚

Postby comitus » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:30 am

Username: comitus
Kalon Name: Ryan
Do they have any superstitions they live by?
Ryan believes in quite a few superstitions, such as knock on wood, or breaking a mirror is seven years bad luck. But one she swears by is never shake hands over a threshold. She believes that bad spirits live in the threshold, therefore shaking hands over the threshold is bad luck. Her friends say that they once shook hands over the threshold, and were cursed with 7 years bad luck.
Extra: (1 art piece or 300 words.)

res
comitus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SyntheticFox » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:14 am

Dropping <3
Last edited by SyntheticFox on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello There !

I'm SyntheticFox ! (Or Fox)
Feel free to message me !

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kalons』✮『Senti』✮『Bigby

SyntheticFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

pennies, pennies, pennies

Postby cherubim » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:01 pm

Username: crepuscular.
        Kalon Name: Blithe
        find a penny,
        pick it up
        and all day,
        you'll have good luck!

Since a small kit, Blithe has always recited the chant, learning it from the countless other kits within their orphanage. They never realised what "luck" itself was until they were around the age of seven; the concept behind luck became clear - she was finally adopted after three years within the orphanage.
        It was a fluke, really, that Blithe was just so happening to flounce the ground outside for any dropped coins when her soon-to-be parents walked into the gate. Blithe's rounded eyes met the affectionate ones cast upon her, and Blithe's paw curled itself around the cool metal of a coin within the grass.
        It was something of a fairy tail, how the two decided to adopt Blithe from that exact day, perhaps an hour from when Blithe picked up the coin. Was that where her belief in the superstition started? Well, maybe, but one thing is for sure; you can always find Blithe searching the ground for coins to this day.

[ 175/300 ]

Extra: wip
cherubim

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Levi~ » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:17 am

Is it possibl3 to have a one day extension?
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
“A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.” ― Charles Darwin
“Learn to value yourself, which means: fight for your happiness.” ― Ayn Rand
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Name: Poppy or Fenrir
Likes: Crappy fantasy books, anime, drawing, animals, Marvel and Dc lol, most music, random K-pop songs, running, talking to people (pm me if you want), sleeping and martial arts.
Note: Please be polite and respectful ^-^
~Levi~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CSMintCat » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:58 pm

~Levi~ wrote:Is it possibl3 to have a one day extension?

U h m .
Yyyyeah sure why not. ^^''

The new end date for this is March 4th, 11:59pm EST.
Status wrote:Not v active these days.
Not really replying to trades/messages; send at own risk.
Please remind me if you've messaged me + it's important.
Looking for a Feb. 9th swap!
CSMintCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Meridiem » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:52 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Username: Meridiem
Kalon Name: Simon
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Simon is a curious little thing. He has a fascination with black cats. You could say he has a superstition but the opposite of what everyone else does. If a black cat crosses his path, he says he will have the best of luck for the rest of the day. If any other color cat comes across him, he freaks out and is worried all day about what kind of bad luck is going to come his way. He carries around a plush black cat with him almost everywhere he goes. The cat's name is Lucky. Simon sewed him together himself. The buttons came from an old shattered mirror's decor. The thread that holds Lucky's belly in place is from an umbrella Simon deconstructed. Simon loves Lucky so much that the day he was planning on making him, he found a tails-up penny and declared that it would be his new stuffed animal's heart and soul. Simon loves Lucky and all the luck that he gives him.
------------------------------------------
Meridiem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Prolix » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Username: Prolix
Kalon Name: Minakshi
Do they have any superstitions they live by? and Extra: (total of 600 words)

"She is coming to."

The ringing in her ears was deafening. It felt as if her head was swarmed by shrilly humming fairies intent on muddling her concentration. Half amused, she took a lazy swipe at the little annoyances, only to discover she could not move her arm. This discovery was certainly out the ordinary; thinking back, she couldn't recall injuring it. Minakshi couldn't remember any premonitions from the last few days that foretold she would hurt herself. In fact, she couldn't remember anything at all…

"Hello?"

A voice had intruded on her thoughts, and she struggled to open her eyes to respond. A blurry figure leaned over her figure, a concerned frown on the Kalon's lips.

"Good morning. You are in the ER. You were in a collision two hours ago and broke your arm and clavicle. We removed the shrapnel lodged in your cheek and placed your arm in a cast. You will just fine, miss. Please do not try to move. Your family will arrive to visit you later, but for now you need to sleep and recover."

The nurse gave Minakshi a comforting smile as she turned and left the room, her tail swaying behind her as she moved out of sight and left the patient to her thoughts.

This could not be happening! She started to notice how badly her body ached and caught sight of the sling cradling her appendage. How on earth had she ended up in a car crash?!

Deep breaths, she coaxed herself. Her recollection would come back if she calmed down. A minute or two passed in silence; suddenly, cloudy images trickled into the gaps in her memory. That's right, today was supposed to be a good day.

Minakshi woke up with an eager smile as the sun shone on her face. She declared "Rabbit, rabbit!" as she rolled off her bed on the left side, hoping to wake up quicker as the superstition dictated. Strolling across the room, she checked her appearance in the mirror far away from the foot of her bed— after all, if it was there, her spirit could be trapped in the glass forever while she slept.

Satisfied with her reflection, she skipped off to check the date, though she already knew what it would be: August eighth. Minakshi nearly jumped for joy in her excitement, as eight was an incredibly lucky number, and two of them in a row was even more so. She had been waiting all week for this auspicious day!

Trying to use her luck for all it was worth, Minakshi had scheduled a lovely breakfast with her friends, a job interview in the afternoon, and a night of gambling she was sure to come out of with her pockets lined. Maybe that last plan was reckless, but there was absolutely nothing that could go wrong today!

With a grin stretching from ear to ear, she donned an elegant dress the color of fire to usher in joy and beauty. Minakshi donned a dragon-shaped pendant as a finishing touch for an extra spark of protection, and then she was off to embark on the best moments of her life.

All Minakshi could recall after that was the piercing wail of sirens, a metallic taste in her mouth, and a stab of pain through her heart that wasn't caused by tangible means. Everything she believed in had failed her. What could she place her hope in now?

…No. She couldn't give up like this. She was going to find purpose again; only this time, it would be based in something real.
Prolix

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby liightning » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:25 pm

年年有魚
Username: salty.sweet
Kalon Name: 小莲花 (xiao lián huā - means 'Little Lotus' in Chinese); Little Lotus. she was first given her Chinese name and is called the translated English version that by non-Chinese speakers.
Do they have any superstitions they live by? "年年有魚."
it's always what her parents would tell her. it was originally just a traditional saying in China. Little Lotus kept these sayings in her mind. "年年有魚" stood out to her, especially since her appearance was was similar to the scales of the beautiful koi fish in the pond near her childhood home. she felt further connected as she was named after the delicate lotus flowers and lilies scattered across the clear water.
"the difference between the lotus and lily?" Mother would prompt.
"the lily lies on the surface of the water," Little Lotus recited. "but the lotus always grows tall above the surface."
"that's right," Mother would purr proudly. "our little lotus will rise up, above the surface, and do great things!"
Little Lotus also loved this saying for it was the most interesting. 魚 means fish, but 余, meaning more or extra, has the same pronunciation. it reminds and wishes people to always have extra, such as money or food, instead of using it all at once. a tradition is to buy two fish each new year. the first fish would be eaten on the eve of the new year, and the second would be cooked the next day on the new year.
she kept this in mind as she invited all her relatives over and prepared many delicious dishes. however, before leaving to buy the two fish, she became distracted by hanging up the lanterns and decorations around her house that she left with only enough to buy one fish. the line to buy fish was long, and if she ran back home to get more money, the fish would be all sold out. that night, she prepared the only fish, and regardless, the festival at her home was joyful.
Extra: (story continued)
however, the next day, she had no fish to prepare. things started going wrong when a firework from the previous night spontaneously went off in the wrong spot, setting the nearby bamboo on fire. it took her hours to put out the fire and clean up the scorched bamboo. to her dismay, she found the fire had also spread to part of her little garden, turning years of hard work to ashes. ashes dappled the ground where there were juicy carrots and plump tomatoes.
fortunately her neighbors were happy to help, and they worked together to replant the destroyed plants and bamboo.
"年年有魚," Little Lotus murmured to herself that night. now, she knew that for a good year, she would need to remember to have two fish.
------------------
during the recent lunar new year, my family cooked two fish, and my mom explained to me this saying. what a coincidence a kalon was based off of it! c:

messed up her hair and shine a little
Last edited by liightning on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:08 am, edited 5 times in total.

liight (she/they)

artist who draws silly and funky characters
    <--- enoki is my baby boy

discord: ask! || twitter: liightpinked
    toyhouse: liightning || art fight: liightning
liightning

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skywishes01 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:07 pm

Username: skywishes01
Kalon Name: Yun - born in the clouds
Numbers. Maybe some wouldn't call it a superstition, but it sure is one to him. Times, prices, even the number of things in his bag- they're all affected. They all have to be a multiple of five. (Oh, how he hates
those 99-cent marketing strategies.)
It probably started from his skills in mathematics. Specifically, his lack of skill. He's terrible at it. He can't long divide to save his life. And multiplication tables? They only give him a headache. One of the only ones he was able to learn was the fives; they all ended in one of two numbers. That was easy. He could remember that.
That one proud skill soon grew into an obsession. He eats dinner at precisely seven o'clock; if he's late, he won't start until five past. Clocks go by the five times tables as well; all he has to do is count the little sections and he knows how long he's taken. He buys his pens in packs of ten, his cereal in five hundred gram boxes; and he's got a weakness for nice, whole, rounded-to-the-nearest-dollar prices. It's so much simpler that way. Life is just programmed to be counted by fives.
There's a calming reliability to the fives and zeros; it helps him to organise, and feel that little bit more in control of his life. Okay, maybe that's partly his fault- he isn't really the type of person to stick to a schedule, and he always seems to be busy, going somewhere, doing something else. But everybody need comfort. Everybody needs some stability, some reassurance that you're doing things right. And he finds it in numbers.
xxx

x
┌─────────┐

════ʕ ⏒ ᴥ ⏒ ʔ═══
call me sky !!
────────────
infp • gemini •
hufflepuff • nerd
─────────
my kals / art cred
art shop !!

└─────────┘