Block Topics

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Would you like to block topics?

Yes
67%
No
19%
Indifferent
11%
Games should be moderated more
3%

Total votes : 36

Block Topics

Postby peachy! » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:32 pm

i can't be the only one noticing the excessive spam of forum games lately. there are barely any other threads on the main page at certain times of the day. there also seems to be a trend of users camping the page to post more than 3+ within a few seconds.

there should be an option to block topics that clog up the main page's feed. going through the thread to block every user individually is not practical for time or trading reasons.

edit: if you voted no, please explain why. just voting isn't helpful to the discussion.

edit 2: eufemia had a great suggestion on how to fix this issue!
"i think they should change the subscription thing kinda? like instead of getting an actual nofitication that someone posts on a thread, make it to where whatever forums you subscribe to, those are the ones that will pop up on the main page forums
like you can subscribe to a certain topic post or say the trading forum as a whole"
Last edited by peachy! on Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
bb
✧ peachy!⎟they/them⎟spoonie
——————————————————
hihi! i'm peachy! i'm always looking
to trade and sell my pets for c$ and
wermz/wermz items! (tent w items)

i collect pink, fruit, and food pets!

i have brain fog and multitask a lot,
so if our trade is left for 24 hours or
more, please give me a polite poke!
——————————————————
trade thread // the crater // fr profile
peachy!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Block Topics

Postby peachy! » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:37 pm

bump!
bb
——————————————————

——————————————————
peachy!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Leanonom » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:38 pm

Support! I think I know exactly what game you’re referencing too as well 😭
~Pet Collection Project~
I'm currently collecting all 2015 pets in memory of a loved one that I lost on 2/21/15. Thank you.

dreamies;
UR Peach Image
Leanonom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peachy! » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:39 pm

Leanonom wrote:Support! I think I know exactly what game you’re referencing too as well 😭

you definitely do :c
bb
——————————————————

——————————————————
peachy!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Darkcloud! » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 pm

Support! As much as I post on free-adopt threads, even I get fed up with seeing them over and over on the main page. I am not sure how the site would handle storing an individual user's mute preferences, that's a lot of data per person, which CS already struggles with.

A less storage-heavy solution would instead be to let a user select the feed to view on the main page and check/uncheck forums to include in that view, or choose from a list of presets.

Editing to clarify further:
The current main page is like a stream chat feed. It's simply all posts, sorted by most recent, fed in and displayed, same as this page https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/search.php?search_id=newposts It's why you can end up seeing a post by someone on the main page recent posts even if you and another person have each other mutually blocked.

It would be more data no matter what to implement a custom feed- if the main page needs to remain uniform for all users to also be able to display the other elements correctly (oekaki, the news), then it would be nice to have that customization as another tab alongside the "new posts" // "active topics" feeds we already have when on the main forum navigation page.

There IS an unread/unanswered , but that is limited to no replies + topics you are already subscribed to, vs the request to mute/pick and choose and have a custom view which would allow for still seeing active topics/new posts while avoiding spam from a board you aren't interested in.

semi-active, missed years 2012 and 2013 entirely- about halfway to catching up!
Looking to complete years 2011, 2014-16 and 2021-23!
Darkcloud!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tazmir » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:22 pm

I support this.
Reason is that there are just a ton of Forum games I do not give anything about and constantly have on my front page which I use to trade with. But if it is just the same three people over and over, it is getting quite annoying for me. Also the constant "Character Storage" posts, or adoptable ones are grinding my nerves. Usually i just block those people to try and keep those posts off my feed, but with whole topics for games it not working well.
I hope that there would be a reason to switch off what kind of topics you want to be informed about than just everything.
XXXX||LIGHTS OFF||XXXX

Tazmir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lifora » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:43 pm

I support! I'm not sure I completely understand but I'd love to be able to block forums (For example, ''Free dogs and cats on this forum!!!'').

I say this because I cannot sort my bookmark folder so it is a mess of different forums, and I like browsing the art forum but I have the experience where an art shop may sell only human art when I have no human characters (Not a bad thing or anything- just not useful to me for what I am searching for) or I have had the experience where an artist simply wouldn't finish work at all for literal months and ignore me. I rather block the forum so I don't see their Art Shop every time I search since I don't remember usernames well.

I think blocking a user is a bit too much since they may, in the future, complete art at a good time rate and/or start responding to users when they ask for updates (It's crazy how often I get ignored, even though I only ask every 3 months or so... or even how many people randomly quit the site without warning me). I only would not want to interact with them from an art standpoint, too.

Being able to hide forums, which i will once again use art as an example, would be great. I could block forum topics completely too expensive for me, completely not what I am looking for, are super expensive c$-wise because they only actually want usd, or even PWYW (Those are great, but for me I hate offering so I avoid them). For character sales too, I usually see the exact same posts which have characters completely not fitting my taste or way too expensive.

I don't know if blocking a user hides their forum topics, but it feels like a nuclear option when I just don't want to see a certain forum topic from them while I am shopping for stuff. My memory sucks so much that I will visit the exact same shop multiple times in a month because I think I haven't seen it before and get really disappointed when it is the exact same one I've seen many times and cannot afford, etc.

Even for those who don't buy art, this would be great. Having a way too sort bookmarks would be cool too, and would probably help my problem, but not much. I think being able to simply block topics is great.

Last bumped by Lifora on Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:43 pm.
I'm an artist.

When I order art, please message me when I ask you too! I do NOT always recheck forums as I am a busy person. There's a chance I won't have payment, I only keep payment when I know that a commission was accepted.
Lifora

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me