Remove/hide the "registered COPPA users" group

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Support?

Yes
91%
No
3%
Other/mixed feelings (reply below with more details about your thoughts!)
6%

Total votes : 78

Re: Remove/hide the "registered COPPA users" group

Postby Fudge » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:36 pm

I support as a former COPPA player myself for all the reasons stated above. Its quite literally a badge that says "this person is under 13".
Also agreed with the above statements that say it should be reworked in a way that doesn't mention a user is COPPA to others.
Last edited by Fudge on Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:00 pm, edited 9000 times in total.
melody | she/her | INTP | ♡
~Keep calm and carry on~
sig credit!

Image Image Image
Fudge

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Darkcloud! » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:38 pm

Support as well. It's far too easy to simply select and browse a list of minors, which is not great for all the reasons mentioned here. My concern is if the COPPA labelled player is using the same username on other sites that do allow them to post/message, then the COPPA list can be easily copy and pasted and used to trawl the web for those usernames on social media.

semi-active, missed years 2012 and 2013 entirely- about halfway to catching up!
Looking to complete years 2011, 2014-16 and 2021-23!
Darkcloud!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Darni » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:10 am

I only joined last year and I would get trades at time with no messages OR COPPA message. I asked a friend about it and they explained COPPA to me as I wasn't super familiar. Finding out you can simply click someone's profile and see it say "COPPA" as their group was always super strange to me because IT LITERALLY BREAKS THE RULES. It was stressed to me so much how you cannot put your age in your bio as it is against rules and you have to be careful what links you have on your profile because if it can be linked to something that breaks the rule then you can get in trouble (i think this is silly, but whatever). The fact the system itself breaks that rule by openly showing if someone is a minor by tagging them as COPPA is interesting. I added a COPPA group that can be used to communicate just in case I run across any. I don't know a proper fix for this since yes hiding it from their profile will help, but if they trade someone is also reveals they are a minor. That being said I'm not sure a work around for any of this and I don't want CS to become more strict or complicated so yeah...

TLDR; SUPPORT- I think being able to see people as COPPA on their profile is bad, but I'm not sure how to fix it and I don't have even an idea on how to start.
"Please do not trade with me to add to major hoards"

Darni

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Madel » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:46 am

bump

╔══════════════════════╗
Mads | He/It | Adult
✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Wildlife scientist working in
animal rehabilitation and
rescue. I'm often busy with
work but feel free to DM or
trade me regardless!
Always looking for
macaws, dragons, and wl pets.
Image Image
╚═════════════════════╝
Madel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:58 pm

Support! Back when COPPA restrictions were first implemented 14 years ago, the display of the usergroup didn't really stick out as being not-fine (probably because social media wasn't a big thing so things weren't getting put on blast and thus weren't in our heads often, if ever), but now? It definitely sticks out as not being fine.

screamingrainfrog wrote:100% support
Cs won't even allow adults to list their ages for safety [snip]

It's not just that (and it's a real risk, btw--not because you'll be targeted by child predators, but because of identity theft, especially if you're in the US, but I digress)--it's also because kids are prone to copying what adults do (for a variety of reasons). And based on what some mods have said, they've already had to deal with plenty of below-18 peeps on CS who were copying "I'm 18+" but replacing 18 with their actual age. My guess on why this is a thing (not just on CS!), aside from kids copying adults, is that it's likely either they thought they were being slick (they weren't, we've been there, done that) or they didn't understand that saying 18+ actually means "legal adult (in some places)", not just "mature enough to not be treated like a kid" (because if you're able to access CS then there is a non-negligible chance that you grew up such that you don't or didn't really understand the full legal ramifications of being a legal adult prior to actually becoming one--obviously not a 100% chance, but still a significant chance)

Aqueous! wrote:
UnrealReality wrote:
screamingrainfrog wrote:100% support
Cs won't even allow adults to list their ages for safety ( which I personally think is silly but still ) but theres an entire group of players that are guaranteed minors with a badge that says that?
I think it definitely needs to be hidden or adjusted somehow.
Only thing I'm worried about is how they will be able to participate in trades/ giveaways etc. Without that 'I'm a coppa member and can only choose my message from a list of messages' thing
I guess it can just be altered?

Yeah, my thought with that part of this suggestion was that it could be altered in some way- Perhaps it could keep the "I can only choose my messages from a list" so it is still clarifying that they can't post/send messages without mentioning the COPPA. Of course with that you can make the assumption that someone with that message is still COPPA because I don't know if there's anything else that limits messages in that way, but you would only find that out by already knowing COPPA is a thing, and happen to trade a COPPA user who also sent a message- which, is more effort than just seeing it right on someone's profile or being directly told that it's COPPA even if it doesn't 100% stop the issue

To add to this, maybe allowing -all- users to optionally pick a trade message from the default list would eliminate the immediate identification of a COPPA user?

I really like the idea of allowing all users to choose from a list of messages and then attaching "I/This user chose the following preset message to send:"!!!
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rouvin » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:50 pm

Bump (I don't have the energy to respond to anything here right now, but I can promise I did read all of your guys' thoughts on this ^^)

"It's about time we finish this 'show'..."
Rouvin - OSDD System (open to questions about that!) - They/it/xe
Commissions open - Art trades open - Requests closed
We do not trade right now! All trades sent to us will be cancelled immediately.
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Image | Image
Rouvin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rouvin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:33 am

Bump! Sorry it's been a minute; I've been busy hahah

"It's about time we finish this 'show'..."
Rouvin - OSDD System (open to questions about that!) - They/it/xe
Commissions open - Art trades open - Requests closed
We do not trade right now! All trades sent to us will be cancelled immediately.
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Image | Image
Rouvin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skwisgaar » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:10 pm

SUPPORT. you should NOT be able to see who is and isnt a COPPA player by searching. thats feels weird.
adult - he/they - furry - metalhead
trades . rares for trade/sale . UMA archive
skwisgaar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me