(Accessibility) Plain text toggle for posts + trade rules

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Have you seen a forum post or trade rules that were difficult to read before?

A forum post
2%
Trade rules
9%
Both
87%
I'll explain
No votes
Nope
1%

Total votes : 201

(Accessibility) Plain text toggle for posts + trade rules

Postby minecraft » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:41 am

Summary:
My suggestion is to add a toggle that would allow players to view trade rules and forum posts in plain text (normal size, default font color for whichever theme is being used). Adding this feature would ensure those who struggle with small text sizing and cetain colors can read trade rules and forum replies in plain text.

This change would be client side, and wouldn't actually change anyone elses posts/rules from anyone elses perspective.
It could be a toggle per post, or an option in settings that can be switched on or off.

Why:
I'm suggesting this as due to migraines, my vision is sometimes pretty terrible!
If someone's trade rules or forum post uses small text or pastel colors, their message becomes near impossible for me to see- meaning I either don't trade, or I ignore someones trade rules- which I wouldn't want to do.
(As a small note, obviously the best thing to do with a migraine is rest- but I get so many that if I did that, I'd never do anything else!)

This feature would also be extremely useful for colorblind and dyslexic users- and anyone else who just don't like having to zoom in to read trade rules!

Explanation and examples:
I'm sure a lot of us have encountered trade rules written in very small text sizes, or using text colors that are strenious to read- and it's frustrating! When trading, I want to read a users rules quickly and easily to make them an offer they'll appreciate.
This is a small but potentially extremely beneficial feature for many CS players, not just those who get migraines!

For example, here's a set of rules I made based on a range of rules I've seen:
mockcsrules.png
a fake set of cs trade rules, in a range of font sizes and colors
mockcsrules.png (11.08 KiB) Viewed 734 times

And here's the same set of rules with the option to put them into plain text toggled:
mockcsrulesplain.png
the same set of fake cs trade rules, now all in the 'normal' text size and black color
mockcsrulesplain.png (15.31 KiB) Viewed 734 times

I hope I've explained clearly what I'd like to see here- other peoples forum posts and trade rules! (Sorry :3c)

But really, please reply if you've also struggled with this before- sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one?! Please refrain from screenshotting anyone else's posts as an example, though- singling out other people isn't constructive to the suggestion ^^

Thank you for checking out this post :3

Signature buttons:
If you want to share this post, here's a link to my reply with buttons to show your support: click me!
Last edited by minecraft on Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Image hi, im minecraft!!! Image

i like weird stories, silly ocs and making things!!
please give me time to think when trading!
click the flags for songs i like :3

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
minecraft

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: (Accessibility) Plain text toggle for posts + trade rule

Postby Infohazard » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:44 am

Maybe try out high-contrast mode?

You can find it in settings-> Board preferences-> Display options
Infohazard

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minecraft » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:50 am

Leek.dot wrote:Maybe try out high-contrast mode?

You can find it in settings-> Board preferences-> Display options

Thank you for replying! High contrast mode is super useful, but unfortunately doesn't modify trade rules- it'd be awesome if it did though!

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
minecraft

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peachy! » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:54 am

I've seen a bunch of posts/rules in extremely small fonts lately, and it's very hard to decipher. The smallest I use is 90, (example), but these posts must have been in 50 at the largest (example). I've also seen a lot of rainbow font, which is equally difficult to read.

I use 100% zoom and CS:Dull as well, but these things still manage to strain my eyes like no tomorrow. Full support for a toggle.
bb
✧ peachy!⎟they/them⎟spoonie
——————————————————
hihi! i'm peachy! i'm always looking
to trade and sell my pets for c$ and
wermz/wermz items! (tent w items)

i collect pink, fruit, and food pets!

i have brain fog and multitask a lot,
so if our trade is left for 24 hours or
more, please give me a polite poke!
——————————————————
trade thread // the crater // fr profile
peachy!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lullamoon » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:05 am

Support!!
I’ve seen so many super super tiny and pastel posts- even with 20/20 I can’t read that! I’d like to note this problem is amplified on computer by like a ton. There’s been a few times I felt like I was reading actual pixels with my nose to the screen lol Don’t get me wrong, I looove when people put a ton of effort making a post/rules all fancy and pretty, but I also looove being able to see it.. I really like the idea of it being a per post or per trade rules little button/switch to be able to quickly press and read plainly while keeping other fancied up but readable posts fancy.
Lullamoon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fluffle puffle » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:10 am

This would be amazing, so many times I've just given up on trading for the day because trying to read someone's rules gave me a headache >.<

Also could be useful for colourblind users?
(,, ,• ) (,, ,• ) (,, ,• ) (,, ,• ) (,, ,• ) (,, ,• ) (,, ,• ) (,, ,• ) ( •, ,,) ( •, ,,) ( •, ,,) ( •, ,,) ( •, ,,) ( •, ,,) ( •, ,,) ( •, ,,)

Hi, I'm Fluffle puffle. Send me a trade!
Certified guinea pig hoarder.
ʕ⁠っ⁠•⁠ᴥ⁠•⁠ʔ⁠っ gimme

Looking for:..............................Trading:
Wishlist! ...............................ImageImage
Sometimes I'm too anxious to send messages.. ^^' Thank you all for your patience!
Fluffle puffle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minecraft » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:41 am

Lullamoon wrote:Support!!
I’ve seen so many super super tiny and pastel posts- even with 20/20 I can’t read that! I’d like to note this problem is amplified on computer by like a ton. There’s been a few times I felt like I was reading actual pixels with my nose to the screen lol Don’t get me wrong, I looove when people put a ton of effort making a post/rules all fancy and pretty, but I also looove being able to see it.. I really like the idea of it being a per post or per trade rules little button/switch to be able to quickly press and read plainly while keeping other fancied up but readable posts fancy.

It's definitely a little easier to see tiny posts on mobile! I can really quickly put my magnifier on there- or hold my phone way up close to my face >_< !

On Flight Rising they offer this feature per forum post, and the icon is a little paint brush! (As they don't have trade rules the same way CS does I believe forums are the only place this option is shown)
frtoggle.png
a screenshot of flight risings font/text color toggle
frtoggle.png (24.05 KiB) Viewed 692 times

It's not quite the same, but since it's another petsite I think it's worth mentioning! Thank you for your support :3

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
minecraft

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Starfalling » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:53 pm

Support, although it would also be great to see an option to just/also enlarge text to a chosen size (the default text size is often still too small for me, and being zoomed in all the time is hard because signatures and dressups get distorted, not to mention scrolling side to side in things like the archive)
If I'm not answering, I'm probably at work. I usually get on in the late evening my time (listed timezone below)

Pronouns are they/them and you can call me Starfalling, M, or Morgan. I'm in Pennsylvania which is on EST (CStime -4)

I love trading, although I'm recently back from a long hiatus so I'm not fully up to date on demand. For any current event pets, I’ll only trade them away if I have a double, and I don't trade growing pets

I use bold a lot because it's easier for me to read, since you can't change other people's font size and being zoomed in constantly is annoying

I am a holibomber!
Sig was getting long, my counts have been moved to trade rules

Starfalling

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby felidthing » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:59 pm

this would be such an improvement, there are so many times i open a thread and get blasted with huge multicolor text and just click off because i dont wanna take the time to figure out whats actually important info (im aware people color code things for their own accessibility too! it just doesnt mesh well with my own needs).

collecting every cat!! please trade me
doing art for cats or c$

he/it | adult | felidthing on flight rising and pixel cat's end
most active between 3:00-11:00pm PST (22:00-6:00 GMT i think)
i love warriors, soul eater, and minecraft (as well as hermitcraft, the life series, and orphan's path)
also love my chemical romance, ada rook, grandson, thursday, la dispute, and three days grace

felidthing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pomni » Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:05 pm

Huge agree, sometimes I just don't read the rules cause it's not worth the eyestrain the tiny/pastel font text is gonna cause me and if I skipped every person that used a font too small for me to read comfortably I'd just never be able to trade anyone
pomni

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me