Item Year / Rarity Indicator

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Should items have dates and rarities?

Yes, both dates and rarities.
63%
Dates only, no rarity.
33%
Rarities only, no dates.
2%
No, neither dates nor rarities.
2%

Total votes : 198

Postby CousinEnby » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:25 pm

I sifted through pages of the suggestions but didn't find an existing thread... One thing that's really really difficult for me is the lack of an indicator for what year an item is. I have NO idea how the coding for that works, but if items could just have the same system applied to them so I don't have to very carefully Google each individual item to see where it comes from in the archive... That would be so useful and make trades so much easier. 😭

Adding rarities would also be MEGA helpful, just to use as a baseline, because there's... Pretty much no way to find that out other than scanning extremely long threads. πŸ˜–

Just putting in our 2Β’. πŸ™

EDIT: Many have echoed our thoughts, thank you all! Horror added an especially helpful suggestion of how it might look:
Horror wrote:
bumping now that we get item rereleases ^^ Since the front page says some items may have good trading value, it'd be really helpful if the site also updates to make the trading part less tedious, since you manually need to check where each item comes from right now

Mostly here for the year indicator part specifically but even something like this would be enough I think :)
Last edited by CousinEnby on Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~
You are valuable
because you exist!

~ * ~ πŸ₯° Image πŸ₯° ~ * ~

ImageImage
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
CousinEnby

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Item Year / Rarity Indicator

Postby Nexius » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:47 pm

Support!

I've voiced a similar opinion in the CS discord so I'm just gonna copy and paste what I said there:

Absolutely agree. I think CS needs to pick a side when it comes to items. Either they are collectables like pets and thus should be given rarities for ease of trading. OR items are just meant to be fun accessories and an afterthought to the main focus of the site which it pet trading, in which case keep the no-rarities thing and start rereleasing items in the store (cause the item's rarities and availability don't matter anyways then). Have it be a rotating thing where every month there's a few sets of older items up for grabs again.

Nexius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CousinEnby » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:00 am

Nexius wrote:Support!

I've voiced a similar opinion in the CS discord so I'm just gonna copy and paste what I said there:

Absolutely agree. I think CS needs to pick a side when it comes to items. Either they are collectables like pets and thus should be given rarities for ease of trading. OR items are just meant to be fun accessories and an afterthought to the main focus of the site which it pet trading, in which case keep the no-rarities thing and start rereleasing items in the store (cause the item's rarities and availability don't matter anyways then). Have it be a rotating thing where every month there's a few sets of older items up for grabs again.

Thanks so much for including your thoughts! I totally think that makes sense. It gets confusing when items have assigned dates and are no longer available, yet there's no way to determine that because so many items have exactly the same name... Then there's the free items that are always available in the store, which are relatively low-stress to trade! :?

~ * ~ * ~ * ~
You are valuable
because you exist!

~ * ~ πŸ₯° Image πŸ₯° ~ * ~

ImageImage
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
CousinEnby

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Serial designation N » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:06 am

Support! I often get scam attempts for items due to there being no dates/rarity so this would really be a good thing to have!
currently on hiatus due to college. Again
Serial designation N

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ActualWoodelf » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:49 pm

Support!

I think at LEAST having dates would be nice, because otherwise one has to know the specific way to type into a search engine the item name in order to find it in the archive, and yes--if items have the same name, despite being completely different items, it gets very difficult very fast to find the right thing. I agree with Moon Rabbit that scam attempts are somewhat common with items due to this. People don't know what their items are worth, or find it too laborious to look it up, and that leads to disappointing trades.

Seeing rarities I think would be an eye opener, in all ways. It would be nice to see what some of these "highly valuable" older rares are actually worth as far as the rarity scale is concerned. Obviously demand plays a part, but I think we'd all be surprised by some items and how common or hard to get they really are. It certainly would help make trades more equal, I'd think! :)
ActualWoodelf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CHINARIZING » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:52 pm

Absolutely support! Overall, items are left on the backburner despite many items racking up demand such as animal eggs and the horsehair wig. Item trades do not autocancel like pets do, we cannot sort our items into custom folders, etc. I think an item QOL rehaul would do wonders.

Nexius' quote really sums up my thoughts about a lot about this site; the continuously hands-off approach can be detrimental to the QOL here.

Edit: Read that items don't auto-cancel because they don't have unique IDs. Which should say a lot about how items were initially planned to be... if so, I think items should be re-released then, to save everyone the pain.
Last edited by CHINARIZING on Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CHINA 🐲 HE/HIM | ADULT PLAYER | ASIAN-AMERICAN
══════════════════════════════════════════
TRADE THREAD | ART THREAD | ART STORE

art, my OCs, working out, pins/buttons, charms/keychains, E/SE Asian cultures, WACA, WoF, SU, MLP, Minecraft, countries, bully breeds, country personifications, pop punk, alt rock, indie, midwest emo, flags, furry visnovels, obscure horror, early Internet

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
CHINARIZING

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby grey_ » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:57 pm

Support! Trying to figure out the value of items and/or items can get really stressful, and it makes trading with them hard to determine fairness, because item rarity is currently so hard to gauge (/with some notable exceptions)
I think it would make trading and stuff a lot more enjoyable!
it/web/they/xe
Grey_#9635
the Magnus Archives
Welcome to Night Vale
MCYT
violinist
college student
base customs
C4C
commisions + customs
chicoon customs
grey_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ElliLiv » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:28 am

Yes!!! Support!

hi, i'm elliv! ───
she/her, bisexual, adult ───
artist ───
colΓ΄niacontraataca/vinet saga β™₯ ───
stay hydrated, and take care! ───
sign a petition to help cs! / cs safety tips ───
#FreePalestine #CeaseFireNOW / don't forget to do your daily click!
ElliLiv

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cerberussi » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:55 am

definitely support dates and rarity. i love items and often trade for them, but i cant take peoples word for it, there has to be something conclusive to suggest that yeah this event item from 2012 is worth a rare because it is a rare
please click

Cerberussi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wookieinmashoo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:43 am

Rarities would be nice, but the problem would be that they would need their own rarity system separate from pets because of how many, or how few are in existence. Things like the pony wigs are constantly available and are beyond OMGSC, meanwhile there's certain items that are only a few hundred in existence. How does that compare to the skelebun, possibly the rarest pet?
Wookieinmashoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me