Less strict forum rules

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Less strict forum rules

Postby cocoa » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:09 pm

Probably a controversial suggestion, but I've noticed there are a >lot< of locked threads in places such as general discussion, often for reasons of redirecting to other older threads of similar topics of discussion or being locked for not having a clear point of discussion. And I just have to say - is it necessary? Maybe this new thread has a similar topic of discussion to some random fanclub or other, but the specific, concentrated topic people are discussing is a topic within its own vein. It just feels more organic if you want to talk specifically about one aspect or thing that happened. A lot of the threads people get redirected to (e.g. comfort corner, weather today thread) are more the kind where people just post and leave - as in, there is rarely quoted conversation or ongoing threads of discussion because just so many people come in to post their thoughts it becomes more like the twitter feed as a whole rather than a string of replies between individuals. More individual threads encourage these more direct conversations between multiple people.

As for the rule of having no clear point of discussion - the only reason I see to close these kinds of threads if it's quite literally just spam with no discernable words. Overall, I don't see the harm in younger people on the site or even just people in general looking for some extra interaction just posting a thread with a bit of a vague thread of discussion, as long as they're having fun and being respectful to all parties involved.

In my opinion, the only reason threads should be closed is if it's straight-up a fanclub that there already is an active version of, or if it's about a more uncomfortable topic that might be inappropriate for the site. I don't see why excess threads on the site would be an issue, as the CS as a whole has been getting more inactive over the years and I can't see it suddenly lagging from a increase in thread activity (if say the rules were changed). But if that is a issue, my apologies - I'm running off of the assumption it wouldn't be a technical issue.

Anyways, I understand this probably won't go anywhere, but I thought it important to get my thoughts out there. I'd love to see the CS forums be a little more lively. :-) Sorry if this has already been suggested as well - I didn't use the search function besides a quick glance at declined suggestions.
cocoa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Less strict forum rules

Postby LissaJo » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:16 pm

Multiple threads with the same topic usually end up attracting the same people, talking about the same stuff in multiple areas which just creates clutter
LissaJo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pantherpaws!! » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:07 pm

Support! Spent hours making a thread for lesser known/"invalid" queer identities to hang out without hate. Such as mspec lesbians, lesboys etc.

It got taken down :(

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
⏬Click!⏬

Radinclus & Proud!

I am a Catgender (he/they/it/cat/kit/mew prns) Abro-Lesboy Para/Parogenic system!

Pantherpaws!!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FlamingPsycho » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:11 pm

Support. Spent time making a forum post looking for Alterhumans specifically of the Vamp variety, it was redirected to Otherkin. I'm not looking for otherkin and therians, I'm looking for weres and vamps, the folks in the weirder parts of the community. Trying to look for the group I was looking for in the otherkin chat would have been useless, as they more than likely aren't looking there.
What is your legacy?

How can you justify the space that you fill?

You should trade me, I have TOO MANY PETS!

Discord - FlamingPsycho
Toyhouse - FlamingPsycho
Instagram - fueled.by.ramune
Tiktok - fueledbyramune
Bluesky - fueledbyramune.bsky.social
Lioden - #164933
Xanje - flamingpsycho

Please only message me elsewhere if you are 18+! I am an adult and while my content is sfw, I am NOT COMFORTABLE hosting full conversations with minors, thank you!

I am on the hunt for adult-only spaces to still discuss ChickenSmoothie. If you know of one on something like Discord or Telegram or whatever, let me know, thanks!
FlamingPsycho

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:14 pm

Support for more lenient discussions, no support for duplicate topics
Image Image
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pantherpaws!! » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:32 pm

FlamingPsycho wrote:Support. Spent time making a forum post looking for Alterhumans specifically of the Vamp variety, it was redirected to Otherkin. I'm not looking for otherkin and therians, I'm looking for weres and vamps, the folks in the weirder parts of the community. Trying to look for the group I was looking for in the otherkin chat would have been useless, as they more than likely aren't looking there.

Darn, I'm real sorry to hear that :( Honestly i wish the moderators actually asked your side before doing stuff like that. It can be so demoralizing.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
⏬Click!⏬

Radinclus & Proud!

I am a Catgender (he/they/it/cat/kit/mew prns) Abro-Lesboy Para/Parogenic system!

Pantherpaws!!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Serial designation N » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:35 am

Support for the most part, I don’t think there should be duplicate topics personally,instead I think they shouldn’t default to old and dead topics when locking based on there being a similar theme. If the old thread is active sure, keep it up,but if it’s not, just lock it instead of the active new thread.
currently on hiatus due to college. Again
Serial designation N

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CanisCoyote » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:04 pm

Support - cs is the only forum site I've ever seen that run the forums this way, and I've always thought it to be strange. Can only make a topic if it's both specific enough to have a clear subject but also must be vague or generalized in a way - it can't be too personal or niche. Anyone who wants to talk about anything must find the appropriate thread regarding whatever it is, and then interrupt any ongoing convo to share. Not that there is much convo going on in general - and they may not get a direct reply at all, just another unrelated post that "belongs" in the thread... an example being someone wants to share something great that happened to them, say a vacation they went on. Well they can't go to general and post a thread about their vacation. That will be locked. They must go to the all encompassing happy thought/good things thread and post there. But that's what everyone does there. They go there to share, not to reply. It feels like shouting into the void.

I spend most of my forum posting in the suggestions and in the help board, mostly because I feel like it's one of the few places people actually can talk to each other!

Art selling/trading/buying - toyhou.se - My art gallery - Petz Site
Please link to my toyhou.se for all art credit. Thank you.
[I'm very scatterbrained, if I randomly stop replying to a convo or forget about some art I will be glad to receive another PM from you! It probably got buried in my inbox and erased from my brain.]
I LOVE ART TRADES
CanisCoyote

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby softpaw » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:09 am

CanisCoyote wrote:Support - cs is the only forum site I've ever seen that run the forums this way, and I've always thought it to be strange. Can only make a topic if it's both specific enough to have a clear subject but also must be vague or generalized in a way - it can't be too personal or niche. Anyone who wants to talk about anything must find the appropriate thread regarding whatever it is, and then interrupt any ongoing convo to share. Not that there is much convo going on in general - and they may not get a direct reply at all, just another unrelated post that "belongs" in the thread... an example being someone wants to share something great that happened to them, say a vacation they went on. Well they can't go to general and post a thread about their vacation. That will be locked. They must go to the all encompassing happy thought/good things thread and post there. But that's what everyone does there. They go there to share, not to reply. It feels like shouting into the void.

I spend most of my forum posting in the suggestions and in the help board, mostly because I feel like it's one of the few places people actually can talk to each other!

Support - I agree with everything you just said. I also have used many forums and I hate how CS runs on the only one topic per any subject allowed ever even if the old topic is dead or full of 10 different simultaneous discussions with nobody replying because the thread is so massive. I personally don’t understand why it has to be this way, the BEST aspect of forums is how they encourage casual chat but I almost feel like CS doesn’t want that to exist on the site </3
softpaw

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadowKatto » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:46 pm

Finally, someone with the same opinion as me!

I agree that the forum rules, especially the ones for the General Discussion board—are way too strict, and I’m tired of just seeing “The ___ thread v. 1000” all the time. The general board on Therian Guide is way more open and is super fun to chat in, and a lot of great discussions and ideas come from there.
I’m also annoyed that a lot of threads get locked because some question someone’s trying to answer belongs “in your signature.” Putting something in a signature is pointless, people are most likely going to ignore it and no one will be able to help you out or talk to you unless if they send you a billion PMs.

I’d really like for the admins to care about this thread but I honestly doubt they ever would

Support!
Pet's name: Ashfur

ShadowKatto

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me