Koala store pets, use funds to donate to Australia

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

What is your stance up to now?

Yes, this will work
47%
Too many flaws in the main idea
26%
I'm waiting for the staff to speak on this
26%

Total votes : 19

Re: Koala store pets, use funds to donate to Australia

Postby ferretjuice » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:38 pm

love this idea! and as said even if the money part doesn’t help much it’s still spreading awareness for our wildlife!
plus who wouldn’t love a lil koala pet ;u;

toyhouse ⋆ she/her ⋆ fr

pony art by aelius

complete pony collection
complete dwarf hamster collection
complete bat collection
complete 2012 collection
ferretjuice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yetzali » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:30 pm

x
      i agree, having my own home threatened by the fires has left me seeing the devastating impact to our wildlife first-hand, donations are much needed if we want to protect our animals

this is a really good idea, if it could be worked out somehow, that'd be amazing
xImage
sarah
infj
she/they
pm me for dog pictures
yetzali

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Syn_cat » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:26 pm

over a billion animals have been lost in the fires (link warning, burned/singed koala ( it's safe and recovering), as well as 5 million hectares of land (some sources say up to 8.5 hectares, not sure). It would be awesome if they were to do this but included other native animals as well, like flying foxes (they are starving to the point where they are ditching their babies cause there's no food due to drought/fires and are crucial to the environment/ecosystem.) Even a kangaroo, emu, possums or a platypus, like an australian based store pet set would be great.

I do support, but the way you worded it sounds like they're converting C$ into money - which wouldn't really make much sense since C$ is worthless. Honestly, it would make more sense if they were to donate the money bought from buying C$ and donating a portion of it towards charities for a month or two. Like 20USD from buying C$ - some of that can go towards the charities. if that makes sense.

adding on to this, they could also include a button on the main page (with the store pet announcement) - that links directly to charities where people can donate to. That way you can donate however much money you would like, even $1 will help and it will go directly to the RFS/other charities.
Last edited by Syn_cat on Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Syn_cat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ice Flower » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:38 pm

Awoo wrote:over a billion animals have been lost in the fires (link warning, burned/singed koala ( it's safe and recovering), as well as 5 million hectares of land (some sources say up to 8.5 hectares, not sure). It would be awesome if they were to do this but included other native animals as well, like flying foxes (they are starving to the point where they are ditching their babies cause there's no food due to drought/fires and are crucial to the environment/ecosystem.) Even a kangaroo, emu, possums or a platypus, like an australian based store pet set would be great.

I do support, but the way you worded it sounds like they're converting C$ into money - which wouldn't really make much sense since C$ is worthless. Honestly, it would make more sense if they were to donate the money bought from buying C$ and donating a portion of it towards charities for a month or two. Like 20USD from buying C$ - some of that can go towards the charities. if that makes sense.

adding on to this, they could also include a button on the main page (with the store pet announcement) - that links directly to charities where people can donate to. That way you can donate however much money you would like, even $1 will help and it will go directly to the RFS/other charities.

Yes! That was what I was trying to say but I didn't really know how to put it out. Thank you for elevating the suggestion!
Other supporting comments

Thanks for the support every body !
Ice Flower

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aaron✦ » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:56 am

(Not a staff opinion, just my own)
If this were to happen it could be really beneficial to include some of the lesser known victims (since even people aware don't know that it's affecting animals other than koalas). I'd personally love to see a Kangaroo Island Glossy Black Cockatoo. "There were less than 400 Kangaroo Island glossy black cockatoos alive before the fires started, and almost half of #KangarooIsland has now burned. 25 years of painstaking conservation efforts have just gone up in smoke."

Although this would be focussed around animals, I think it would also really be vital to mention some of the First Nations communities who are not receiving as much media coverage and monetary support.

All that being said, I don't necessarily anticipate this happening because it would be impossible to cover every disaster happening worldwide and be fair. There are also earthquakes happening in Puerto Rico at the moment, for example. It may be seen as insensitive for CS to cover one and not the other, but if both are covered then there will be an expectation that the next natural disaster will be too, etc. etc.

This is a lovely and compassionate idea, nonetheless!

x
x

[
x
x

1 pet to go!icon
need help?guidesfor newbies

he/xey - no they/them
Image Image Image

x
x

]
Aaron✦
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ice Flower » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:30 am

rockruff wrote:
All that being said, I don't necessarily anticipate this happening because it would be impossible to cover every disaster happening worldwide and be fair. There are also earthquakes happening in Puerto Rico at the moment, for example. It may be seen as insensitive for CS to cover one and not the other, but if both are covered then there will be an expectation that the next natural disaster will be too, etc. etc.

Thank you for the support. I understand the problem of nationalism haunting this idea but I guess most people don't just consider current fires "Australia" facing a natural disaster but the world today , as an environmentally unstable planet, nearing towards the sixth extinction. That's why I thought it would be worth such movement.
Ice Flower

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nyabeille » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:03 am

Ice Flower wrote:
      rockruff wrote:

Thank you for the support. I understand the problem of nationalism haunting this idea but I guess most people don't just consider current fires "Australia" facing a natural disaster but the world today , as an environmentally unstable planet, nearing towards the sixth extinction. That's why I thought it would be worth such movement.

i feel that cs wouldnt recieve awful backlash for the reasons rockruff states, solely because tess and nick are from new zealand and this is directly affecting them, so it'd make sense to do something like this. i definitely see where you're coming from tho and i agree it could be an issue!
nyabeille

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pluvio » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:29 am

bump so people can see c:
pluvio

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Syn_cat » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:09 pm

waterlily wrote:
      Ice Flower wrote:
      rockruff wrote:

i feel that cs wouldnt recieve awful backlash for the reasons rockruff states, solely because tess and nick are from new zealand and this is directly affecting them, so it'd make sense to do something like this. i definitely see where you're coming from tho and i agree it could be an issue!

Back in 2011, blizzard, with a user base bigger than CS, made a charity pet for the japan relief and made 1.9 million dollars.
Did everyone expect them to cover every disaster since then? no

In 2017, they made another pet for relief, they combined multiple disasters into one.
blizzard wrote:Due to recent natural disasters around the world—and the great needs of those affected—we’ve decided not to wait for BlizzCon 2017 to release this year’s new charity pet. The immediacy of the events, including Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, flooding in South Asia, and countless other crises, have shown we need to act now.

in 2018, they created a pink mercy skin for breast cancer research. they raised 12.7 million dollars.
were they expected to do one for every illness, every type of cancer? no

every year they have a charity pet and sales goes towards the charity for a certain time period. This year it is make a wish and WEMovement with donations being split evenly. Do people expect them to cover every charity? no
literally no one expects them to cover every single disaster or charity, so why would it be different for CS?

i do agree on how it can be seen as insensitive to do one disaster and not the other, however we could combine both to make it fair.

and as a drastic/overdramatic scenario;
You want to donate $1 to a charity and chose the RSPCA, but people are saying what about AWL instead? Or the local pound? they need donations too.
You only have $1 and can't split it evenly. why/how is it fair that people complain about the one you chose? because it isn't fair to donate to one and not the others?

Australia is on fire, the government does not care. They are literally trying to blame arsonists instead of the real problem and cause, which is climate change.
Syn_cat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby IvyL6 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:03 pm

Shian wrote:Chicken smoothie is largely made up of children who wouldn’t have the ability to donate so such a pet would be bought with traded C$ and wouldn’t help the cause in any way.
If you want to help out, donate to a charity that you know the funds will be used to help. You don’t need a pet reward for this.

Even if the C$ was traded to them someone else must have bought it? Since I don't think there is any other way to get C$?

>Ivy
>She/They
>English/Chinese okay!
>Feel free to pm me, I don't bite
IvyL6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me