[Suggestion] One thread for smaller questions?

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Do you support this suggestion?

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Undecided/Abstain/Indifferent
No votes

Total votes : 4

Postby nickjr » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:15 pm

I have no idea if people will like this idea or not. Just wanted to put this out there in case people do like it

On another forum I was on, there was a "Tiny Little Questions" thread stickied in the Help forum that people used for smaller/quick questions, like if they forgot how to do something or if they anticipate that there is a simple answer to their question. People didn't have to use that thread for smaller questions; they could still make threads for their questions regardless of how big their question was. But the thread really helped.

Sometimes I see people not want to make new threads for new small questions, and sometimes I see people mention in their first post that they know that their question is small and/or quick (often because they know the answer exists but just forgot it). (And of course, since it's currently established to make a new thread for any and all questions, people won't always say if they know their question is small or quick =P)

Maybe we could also have a "Tiny Little Questions" sticky?

Pros
Assuming that the thread picks up steam, this could half-clean up this board, especially during events when there's a whole lotta straggler-did-not-find-Event-board and "Wait, event? What?"-type questions + April Fool's Day ;P But also just in general! If the thread picks up steam, then we won't have so many tiny topics with just one or two replies in this board. There aren't that many particularly big questions, but the few that we do get from time to time would have more visibility

Cons
The plethora of stickies in this forum is the main reason I'm not enthusiastically trying to get y'all to like this idea lol

Thread needs to pick up steam first (not really a con since nothing worse will really happen if we just have a dead sticky...)

Thread might pick up too much steam? Maybe? I mean this board is normally pretty slow to begin with so I don't really see this happening

Other points
Searchability should not be affected too much unless people go back and edit out their original questions (which also applies to question threads, so this isn't a strong argument). The answer posts will not have relevant post titles, but I imagine people would quote whoever they're answering in the TLQ thread.

I don't think people can really misuse the thread (aside from the ways you can misuse any thread)... If there's a post that doesn't belong in there (e.g. a suggestion, "please delete my account", big question) then another user can probably redirect the original poster--this seems to work well enough now when people post threads with pet design suggestions or admin-only questions or account deletion requests

KOEDEGA wrote:
I think the only down side is perhaps a question could be lost and never answered through the thread. It probably wouldn't move really fast, but I imagine at some point some questions might be missed or go unanswered.

I think this also applies to question threads now. Question threads that are still unanswered when they reach the second page can be bumped, so I think we could just allow unanswered questions in a TLQ thread to be "bumped" every page or 2 pages or something like that if unanswered.
Last edited by nickjr on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: [Suggestion] One thread for smaller questions?

Postby Bilaz » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Support! I love this idea! I think it will help users who feel a bit too shy to make a whole thread about something small and instead just struggle with the question without finding out. :(
╔═════════{♥}═════════╗
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end...

╚═════════{♥}═════════╝
x➤ My OC Erik, I love to write stories
x➤ Sasha - ISFJ - vegan - adult
x➤ Proud tea drinker and cat lover
x➤ Feel free to send me a message! ©

Image x Image x Image
Bilaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aaron✦ » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:07 am

Yes, I love this idea. Especially since suggestions and questions aren't separated - I feel like this would leave a lot of room for suggestions to really get some more air too. I'd be very happy to see this implemented.

x
x

[
x
x

1 pet to go!icon
need help?guidesfor newbies

he/xey - no they/them
Image Image Image

x
x

]
Aaron✦
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:38 am

Yeah, I personally would rather see a proper board split, but I figure that something like a TLQ thread is the next best thing and it would take a lot less effort too ^^ Happy to see support!
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:02 am

-sneakily nudges thread back to the front page-

nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:36 pm

-pokes thread back to the first page-

nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Up; as this is a suggestion for a new sticky, which is a thread and not, like, a feature or something... I'm wondering what staff think of this? Has this been discussed?

nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Viozel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:08 am

● Oooh, support!! I'd love this ^_^

» Jaysky
    xx▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
    Hi I'm lazy and busy and
    distracted so this is all ya get
    xx▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    link link link ©
Viozel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GAIRENTH » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:28 am

Support!
I think it would be nice.
I know in the past mods have said too many small threads add clutter, and honestly that's exactly what this board is famous for.

I don't think it would really stop people from making their own separate thread of their question(s), but at least it could be handled pretty quick.

I think the only down side is perhaps a question could be lost and never answered through the thread. It probably wouldn't move really fast, but I imagine at some point some questions might be missed or go unanswered.
GAIRENTH

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Birchii » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:25 am

Support! I know that I was afraid of posting new threads when I was a new user/younger to get answers, so it would be a place for people to ask a question in a more comfortable place too ^^

current collection goals; owls - guineas

beep boop

❝ ~~~~~ ❞

I'm Birchii (a.k.a Birch); I'm a big fan of cats, owls,
reading, kpop, and gaming! Pronouns are she/they~

You can find me on FlightRising (168475) and
DapperVolk (29742) with the same username as well

Have a wonderful day!
xXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX
Birchii

My pets
My items