Ability to manually sort groups

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

is this change necessary? plus opinions

yes, it would be a game-changer
86%
yes, but i wouldnt use it too much
14%
no, but i wouldnt mind
No votes
no AND it would be actively bad
No votes
i dont know/im bald/any other nuanced answer
No votes

Total votes : 7

Ability to manually sort groups

Postby memeaches » Sun May 26, 2024 5:47 pm

if this is already an active suggestion, feel free to remove, but i didn't personally see it in any pinned posts/the suggestion directory!
okay: have you ever tried to organize your trade groups only to find that the group for your extremely commons comes before your omg so commons? or that pet groups from december get put above pet groups from march? this is because the order of groups is entirely determined by alphabetical order. the logic of the group order notices that E should come before O, and that 1 is a lower number than 3 (even if that 1 isnt just a 1, its a 12). the system is easily circumvented, im sure every player is used to groups starting in a random symbol or groups like "3--- 23.05 archive" or "#^---- 22 __ (insert fall out boy lyric)" or "7 -----__ DIVIDER TRADES BELOW ___------"

i had honestly gotten used to this. i was in the forums searching for the list of symbols and their order to sort my trade groups, but i stopped to think, why is this still the only way to sort groups? they're incredibly important to the way the game is played, and a very important social aspect as well. they're the foundation to trading and to organizing, and i personally think they deserve an update along with the other QOL changes

disclaimer, im not a very good programmer. actually my knowledge on web design and how any of this works is very surface level. BUT i think i understand some of the issues this could cause/how to circumvent these/impact on the server as a whole (if you know more than me (which isnt that hard honestly) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE chime in on logistics!! this is pretty much an educated guess on my part) anyways heres a list of thoughts:

- this definitely isn't the most difficult thing to implement, perhaps a little icon next to the dropdown menu in which you could either click and drag the groups, or even click up and down to sort, one at a time. this is a pretty common feature in web design, but clicking and dragging could be problematic for spacing, also it would have to accommodate mobile which would be more annoying to implement, so having a manual "click to move the group up one in the list" would at least give an alternative, albeit slightly more tedious for users

- i imagine saving the order of groups would have to be something that is consistent among all users, because half the function of this change is to make trading groups easier to parse. id think this wouldnt be too much data to save, as the trade group names and their content are already server data. i doubt that the order the groups are in is saved on an individual profile but its likely more like "fetch groups, put them in alphabetical order, then fetch contents for groups". this changes it to be more like "fetch groups, fetch custom order, fetch contents" which is certainly more things to do, but not by much at all

- expanding on this, i think the best way this could be implemented internally would be to separately save a "display name" and a "true name", which could cause problems with older functions if not updated (asked to fetch "group name", fetches what was there, now "display name", chaos, etc.) i imagine the display name would be set to whatever the user wants it to, and its purely cosmetic text. meanwhile the true name would be something like a 000000012 (that should probably be enough lol. are there actually any limits to the number of groups you can make in cs?), and the same alphabetical organizing system as before is used, but instead of the plain text being rendered it calls the true name, and then that is used to order display names.

THIS IS PROBABLY NOT ACCURATE LOL i would appreciate input from more knowledgeable people than i. ALSO please comment with any feedback or comment you have!! and pokemon go to my poll please we need votes. ok thank you for your time im gonna go to bed now honk shoooo mimimimi
memeaches

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Ability to manually sort groups

Postby axelandria » Fri May 31, 2024 1:54 pm

โ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ด ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ,
xxx๐˜ด๐˜ถ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ด