Suggestion: Have a find this pet option

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Suggestion: Have a find this pet option

Postby twilightprincess22 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:04 am

I think it would be cool if there was a button on the archive lists where you could click to find the pet (if you have it) in your pet groups.
I'm a Dog!

Dogs are honest, smart, loyal, sense of justice and fair play, affectionate, practical, easy-going
Sometimes they can be lazy, cold, stubborn, quarrelsome.
twilightprincess22

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Suggestion: Have a find this pet option

Postby sardine » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:05 am

support! as someone who hasn't sorted their pets in years this would be super helpful

x
╔───────────────────────────╗

xxxxxxxxxxxFollowing ✓
fish guy

win C$500 + OMGSRs (every entry gets rares)
USD commissions open. black lives matter
11:32AM - Jun 26 2012
xxxxxx xxxxxxx

╚───────────────────────────╝
sardine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wspeare » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:33 am

(Heads up for a bit of long post)

These days I've also thought about this sort of feature. I recently came back after being semi-active for 3 years and decided to reorganize everything, and have been having some difficulty with certain pets trying to figure out what year/month/event they're from.

Considering the OP's idea:
* I interpreted your idea initially as clicking the button and it will redirect you to the pet page, or perhaps group where the page is located.
- May foresee a problem if you have multiples of that one pet and they are in different groups. For example, I put doubles in a Trade group, and I also have another copy in my Collections group. Thus, if it's a button link, would probably need to think about which group it will redirect you too.

* Unless you were thinking about, clicking the button (and while still remaining on the archive page, no redirects) and it will display all the groups the pet is located in.
- Possibly have to think about how to display that information. In the same table? In a display box? (I'm imagining maybe off to the side of the "Add to wishlist" button. There are 11 years (plus events) worth of pets. Adding say "Find this pet" link/button for every single pet would probably be too much in terms of coding. May also add a burden to the server, considering if it has to parse through your groups and display back to you, then multiply that by however many users using that feature at the same time.

I've also thought about:

* Adding year/month to the pet information
- I can see how this might be redundant since you can see the adopt date
- Could possibly be useful for event pets instead, since some resemble regular monthly pets; probably comparatively less pets to code for
- However, I know zero things about web development and coding, so not sure if adding all this data would increase the burden on the website (as well as on the coder to put all this in)
- What could be helpful is to add that little introductory blurb for each event in the archive. For example: Chinese New Year is celebrated in February; Fae Mischief was held during August. I suppose for events like Valentine's or Christmas, where it's always celebrated the same time of year, probably don't need to include. But I've come across some other pets that were part of original CS events and I can't tell which they belonged to just by looking at the adopt date.
- Could argue, well, just look through each event tab, or sort by animal species, etc. Yes, just takes more time compared to if I can just see, for example: Fae Mischief (August event) and I'm looking at a pet adopted in September (but not part of the monthly) I don't have to scroll down the page looking for it. All in all more of an ease of access/QoL sort of feature. I presume it's probably not to hard to add the intro blurb, but I don't want to assume anything.

* Having a link back to the archive in pet details
- Same counter-arguments as above

Edit: Also, looks like some other users have thought about this issue:
https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=3837170
Looks like I was not alone in my ideas, but will still leave my ten cents here.
-----

In conclusion, I've been thinking that it'd be great to have this type of feature, but also don't have any concrete ideas to contribute on how to go about it. Much depends on coding and feasibility of implementation.

So, I guess, I do support this idea but I can see where issues may come up for it. I don't mean to put down your idea or anything of the sorts!
wspeare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Broken » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:13 pm

Support
"Games are only fun to play..."

- Fish and aquatic invert keeper

- Formerly "Нүхтэй Слизерин"
- Artist, writer, pianist, poet
- TFP fanatic
- Scorpio

Salutations. Call be Broken. I like to watch horror films and draw comics. If you want some of my pets or items you can just send a trade on over- I'll do free art if you want, just see here. I'm open to PMs if you need help with the site, if you want to talk about TFP, etc: I don't block people and I'm fairly understanding, so don't be afraid to shoot me a message.

"When you're winning."- Knock Out
.Broken

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me