storkie magic comp entry: parasitic magic

Create a topic here to store adoptable/character competition forms.

storkie magic comp entry: parasitic magic

Postby Vacant » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:04 pm

you're not entirely sure if what you see before you is a storkatten...

it looks like a storkatten
it talks like a storkatten
but occasionally one of its clan members comes walking in and hands it a few flowers

the storkatten - if thats what it is - eats them.
its eyes tinge greener.

how odd...

and a few minutes later you see that odd being fade away,
leaving just a storkatten with tired, untrusting eyes staring back at you.
its pupils are narrow. small.

"you came here."
"what do you want from me"

meet Ophiuchus,
the unfortunate bearer of, what it deems anyways, the parasitic magic curse.
or, better yet, "the parasitic paragon."

that title makes it sneer. paragon.
it doesnt seem to enjoy the title but theres not much else it could be
and you swear you almost hear a sneer, some pride, in its tone

perhaps this is a front. perhaps you only need to...
talk.
so you answer its question, saying that you wish to know it
you wish to familiarize yourself with its magic and how it became what it is

trait list wrote:albinism and unnaturally colored calico chimera

nr: expression edits, eye shape, expressive ear edit, whiskers, weight edits, unnatural coat color, unnatural markings,
lim: additional eyes (x1)
legend: height edits, ear type edits, body length, chimerism, albinism, melanism, shorter fur, biolum, multiple tails (x4), multiple forms, genesplice (tails on second form), natural tail alteration (first form), genesplice (talons on second form), multiple ears, muzzle edit
paragon; major magic expression

it regards you for several long moments more before sighing, relenting, and it speaks, divulging its story.

I was always a sickly kit. No one quite knew what was wrong with me, or how to help me. My eyes were wrong to them. My sickliness concerning. And my inability to improve no matter what they tried, worrying. At least, not until we got a new healer. As soon as I began to eat herbs and poultices prepared by them I began to grow stronger. Quickly.

My eyes shifted to a more normal green that was seen in those with plant magic, and I could join the other kits in the clan in their playful quarrels and training. I'd weaken over time, though, so our healer had me on a strict regime of some of their plants from the garden they personally tended and grew. That... That kept me going. While we still hadn't been able to figure out quite what was going on with me by then, most were aware that I was... not quite like them. There was always a gnawing hunger for those magically grown plants, to a point where I was sneaking into the garden at night to get my own meals. Cold, shaky paws on frosted ground became a common occurrence for me. I'm not sure if they ever noticed, if they even cared, but despite the glint of their green eyes from the shadows of their den, they never said anything.

Looking back, perhaps they knew. Perhaps they always knew.

Months passed by. The clan gained a few more members, my training progressed, and the hunger ached. It chewed on me and bit into my thoughts. Every time that another apprentice would hit me with some sort of magical attack I would feel a jolt of energy I couldn't explain. It bewildered me, but worried my mentor. His name is... foggy now. Yet, I remember the several concerned chats he'd have with me after the practice bouts.

He'd ask me what in the moon's name I was doing. Or why I wasn't dodging attacks. Or, in a tone that still haunts me with the lingering, barely veiled fear.... "Why aren't you hurt?"

My own mentor was afraid of me. Afraid of what he was seeing every time I spared with someone.

Others are always afraid of what they cannot, and do not, understand.

I might not have understood then, but how does an apprentice even process that they aren't quite like the rest? I had no other normal to go by. I didn't know why my mentor was upset. I had no idea why I was craving those plants in the garden, or why my fellow apprentices' attacks weren't hurting me.

So, one night, late after training, that hunger was practically burning a hole through my chest. My paws shook on the gravel as I walked away from the training grounds, my head foggy, and my mentor leaning against me for support. I could only dully hear his words. They fell on uncaring ears. There was something drawing me onward away from him, something that quietly promised it could chill the burn in my chest. It yanked me along through the camp, past the main dens, up along the basking rocks, and right to the entrance of camp where a series of runes etched carefully into the rockface sat, staring me. The glow was the only thing I could see. The hum of magic the only thing I could feel.

Someone shouted, somewhere.

Suddenly, the hum was silenced. The ache in my chest was gone. And the glow that had been filling my eyes had completely disappeared.

And so had the runes.

The now bare rockface in front of me cracked, rumbling as a tendril of inky black wound through the splintering rock. I couldn't step away. Partially due to the primordial fear keeping in my paws locked to the ground, but also because that very same tendril was attached to my front left paw, which was now pressed against the fractured, broken rune closest to me. I don't recall ever lifting my paw.

There was screaming behind me. My mentor's sharp tone broke halfway through a shout when he must've seen the damage I'd done. I could feel the attention of the clan on me from the hollow below.

Those runes had stood for generations. I only knew faint details, but our clan's overseer, a gifted runic cat, had first engraved them himself, putting up protection for the clan's hollow to keep them safe from intruders or predators, and to keep the hollow safe from natural disasters and storms. Those runes had been the cornerstones to the clan's success. Everyone knew that much.

And I had just... destroyed them? Perhaps not. I could feel the echoes of the runic magic filling that burning void in my chest, a recollection of the moment that they'd been first etched into that stone face rising in my thoughts. As those runes were seemingly engraved in my mind, a new voice rose in my thoughts, grave and heavy, "Run. They're behind us."

The black tendril was gone from the stone and my paws were moving. I was running. The energy surge from the runes filled me with the strength I needed to scramble up the cliff, finding pawholds I never knew had even been there. Sharp edges dug into the gaps between my pawpads as I hefted myself up over the edge of the camp's cliffside, claws digging into the soft soil, tugging down the grasses as I finally dragged myself to the top.

And I ran.

I never stopped running.

I did find my answers, eventually. Found some other friends. Reunited with an old one.
But those are stories... for another time, perhaps.

------------

Last edited by Vacant on Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:42 am, edited 16 times in total.
Vacant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: parasite magic

Postby Vacant » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:05 pm

Magic Domain:

The domain of parasitic magic is destruction, or rebalancing.
Parasitic magic is a balancing force in the world, absorbing magically created or attuned items for energy, and breaking it down. Users of this magic type are almost akin to vampires of the magic world and can be seen as troublesome pests or a respected, required force that's needed to exist. Stronger parasitic magic users can break down even the strongest of magics, such as magical items created by other paragons or equally strong magic users, and those still honing their skills can process weaker magical items or spells.

This magical fuel is then used to sustain the user and to allow them to cast their own magic of the type they've recently broken down. They can never cast stronger magic than what they obtained, nor can they recreate an item they've destroyed, but they can use it in their own way. Users can also use their parasitized magic to fuel themselves or enhance their natural abilities.

All in all, Parasitic magic users can:
-destroy others' magical items
-absorb others' magical spells or uses (someone shoots a fireball at you? well, too bad for them, because that's now breakfast)
-at higher levels absorb more magic types
-at higher levels use stronger, parasitized magics
-defend themselves with their parasitized energy
-use the absorbed magical energy to enhance natural abilities (healing, running speed, strength, etc.)

Parasitic magic expresses itself as a sentient being hosted on or outside the users' body. Ophiuchus here is an example of the former, which is usually a more rare expression of the magic, and its little buddy even seems to have developed its own eye over time. The more developed a user is in the magic, the more this presence is noted near them. Paragons may be completely bonded to this magically entity but can shift between the different levels of expression at will. This entity may be any color with any patterns.

eye guide wrote:legendary or hybrid* magic: parasitic/parasite magic
(could be an absent x any for a parasitic hybrid at a very rare chance! depends on what works best!)

magic expression: parasitic magic appears in several stages on a magical creature's body.
eyes: standard eyes are fully white (no sclera/iris) with a single pupil the color of any magic*
*special shaped pupils (eg, trickster, love) will have a poorly 'copied' shape of the original magic's color
**effects still apply
***light or dark pupils (eg, solar, lunar, balance) have the colors split between the top half of the pupil and bottom half

Last edited by Vacant on Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:53 am, edited 8 times in total.
Vacant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

parasitic magic leveling guide

| Novice |

able to process basic magic types (no alts) and use them. Limited control over magic. No magic expression. May experience driving hunger from time to time that urges them to seek out sources of magic.

| Advanced |

able to process rare magic (no alts). Slightly stable control over magic, may have a small colored patch of their magic entity visible. has a bit of a better grasp on the drive for magic, and can more easily locate sources of magic like runes.

| Adept |

Can process limited magic, but not alt magic types. Better control but may have moments where they cannot channel a parasitized magic type well - especially stronger ones. Magic entity remains small. Barely bothered by a need for magic, and can often go longer periods of time without needing to absorb anything.

| Master |

can process limited + alt magic types, cast stronger spells with their absorbed magic, and has a strong bond with the magical entity they share the energy with. Often skilled at different utilizations of their magic as well. Magical entity can completely separate from them for longer periods of time.

| Paragonhood |

can process all magic types (legendary included) with little to no issues. Magic entity and their host can entirely become one, allowing full use of the magic's abilities. They rarely, if ever, experience the same driving force that the less experienced or skilled posses.

--------

"you want to know how we got to paragon? how we got here? ..... Alright."

After leaving the camp, I was lost for several long months. It might've been years. I'm... not too certain. But during that time, I was listening and learning from the only companion I had- my own magic. It's quite a startle when you find out that your magic can communicate- that wasn't something they'd taught me in the training grounds - and that it already understands what it is to some degree.

It wasn't super helpful off the bat. We ate too many plants that we thought had been magical but were completely, utterly, normal. The need for magic often burned more than it did not which pushed us to constantly be moving, looking for something, anything, that would extinguish that fire. We didn't see many other cats during that time. Or anyone, really. It was almost as if we'd walked right out of the known world. We got by through finding more old, abandoned (or we believe were so) runes that were scattered about some old ruins and wrecks. They had enough energy to sustain us, but for every we had, it was one less we'd have in the future. So... at my companion's urging we continued on.

My paws were no longer soft by the time I came across another clan's border. I wasn't small anymore either. Maybe it had more than a few weeks...

We couldn't exactly survive on our own at this point. We knew we had to find more magically inclined beings and joining another clan didn't feel like a bad idea. Which is why a few hours later we were sitting in their healer's den - another plant magic storkie, along with their co-healer, a healing magic - discussing everything that had happened to us up to that point. The patrol that had found us had been quite confused at our presence but they'd brought us along anyways. Maybe out of more curiosity and confusion than goodwill. Given what had happened in the previous clan we knew it wasn't something we could hide. It'd be risking these innocent strangers' wellbeing.

That's how we got here. That plant magic storkie you saw earlier is our good friend, and they have been for ages. They've even taken the time to help us find our preferred enchanted plant for energy.

Since we've been here, we've studied what we can do, and pushed the limits. There hadn't been anyone quite like us in this clan before - like our previous one - so it was a learning curve for everyone involved. We can still recall the first time we absorbed a solar shot from Paimon. The surprised fear there was something I don't think we could ever forget. And the training where we returned an attack from Solune without hesitation or missing a beat. Despite our combat prowess, it wasn't until the clan could trust us - several long years later - that we were allowed to join others with patrols, guard duties, or other general responsibilities. As it would turn out, having someone who's essentially immune to other's attacks and can return the same fire is... quite a handy resource to have.

You see, our clan didn't share borders with another storkie clan. No, they shared a border with other magical creatures. Ones that were always looking to encroach upon us or steal land. I should say that we didn't know why at the time. We learned that later. I suppose it wasn't important to tell us, to explain, or perhaps it was just one more detail that they couldn't trust us with at the time. But either way, we were key in making sure that our territory was secured.

Eventually, or I suppose recently, we also started helping in training. It does seem to help those learning their magic or new magics to see what their magic can do, or have their attacks mirrored back at them. Jack of all trades, master of none, we suppose.

We've found a safe haven here among other unique cats. We've worked on ourselves and our magic to keep it stable and in check, and found friends and resources to aid where we fail. It's... been good. Far less terrifying than our birthclan, that's for sure.
Last edited by Vacant on Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Vacant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: parasite magic

Gifts

Soulbound; Your magic user and their magical entity are essentially one in the same. Their magical entity now often resides near them, instead of ominously floating nearby. Those with this gift tend to absorb new magic types easier, and can utilize them quicker. Ophi is an example of this gift.

Ephemeral; Your magic user's companion entity can disappear and appear at will. This allows them to mask their magic type more effectively.

Conduit; Your magic user is highly sensitive to other magic types, and when destroying a relic or rune can bear witness to the one who created it or obtain information about them.

Divine Gifts

Amalgam; Your magic user can store multiple magic types at once, allowing the user to utilize them in ways not usually seen outside of hybrid magic types. They can cross cast magic types, although this comes at a cost of needing more magical fuel to sustain themselves. Those more adept at parasitic magic are less effected by this.

Accessories

Vial of sludge; A token offering, usually from a mentor to a trainee, of colorful sludge. It signifies the magical companion that the parasitic user possesses.

Book of Pressed Flowers: An oddly beautiful accessory for a magic type that may be seen as cruel, this book of preseved magically grown flowers can serve as an emergency source of energy for a parasitic magic user.

Fractured Runes; A reminder of a strong parasitic magic user's strength. These are often rewarded at the end of formal training, but can also be exchanged between those of this magic type as a sort of bartering currency or show of strength. The stronger or rarer magic rune broken, usually the more valuable the broken rune.
Last edited by Vacant on Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vacant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

parasitic magic prompts

parasitic magic has several key themes;

| control | mimicry | identity | drive |

this opens up several prompt ideas that focus on a cat's journey with this magic type;
1: how do you identify yourself outside of your magic?
2: what happened the first time you used another cat's magic?
3: did your clanmates see your magic as a burden or a blessing?
4: can you recall a time you used your magic to help yourself or others?
5: beyond the need for magic, what drives you to survive?
6: what has become your favorite magic to utilize and why?
7: when did your magic turn the tides of an event or situation? Was it for better, or worse?
8: do you see your magic as a blessing, or a curse?
Vacant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: storkie magic comp entry: parasitic magic

Postby kiwipen » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:57 am

Congratulations! Your magic was chosen, and you'll be able to keep your entry.

Here is your finalized trait list:

nr: expression edits, eye shape, expressive ear edit, whiskers, weight edits, unnatural coat color, unnatural markings,
lim: additional eyes (x1), longer fur,
legend: height edits, ear type edits, body length, chimerism, albinism, melanism, shorter fur, bioluminescence, multiple tails (x4), form change, genesplice (tails on second form), natural tail alteration (first form), genesplice (talons on second form), multiple ears, muzzle edit

non-passable; paragon magic expression

Magic: Parasitic (Hybrid: Absent and your choice of any other legend or below magic )
kiwipen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me