⊰ ━━ « of lands and waters » ━━

Create a topic here to store adoptable/character competition forms.

⊰ ━━ « of lands and waters » ━━

Postby Vivika » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:58 am

Entry for the mercat. <3

// main thread // hw #400 // credits //
Last edited by Vivika on Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

⊰ ━━ « present time » ━━

Postby Vivika » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:32 am

■ ■ ■

“Choose.”

A whispered order from the mist that hovered close, silver wisps almost suffocating as she drifted on the waters. The mist, a presence
    she once embraced wholeheartedly. She squeezed her eyes shut, swallowing hard. The question would determine her fate. Her life.

“S-Show me both worlds one more time,” she whispered. “Please.”

A breeze against her cheek prompted her to relax, to let the gentle ebb and flow of the waves take her.
    Take her back to the past.
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

⊰ ━━ « three months prior » ━━

Postby Vivika » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:33 am

■ ■ ■

She’d been there since the beginning. Long before land had been created and pulled apart from the waters. Long before the golden thread of land could be glimpsed from dawn’s horizon. Before there was land, there’d been water. Oceans upon oceans of crystalline blue. And carved from those depths, were the oceanic gardens. Ones that she swore she'd protect with her heart and soul.

“Nessa.”

Cool, glossy skin brushed against her tail, evoking a smile. That cheeky dolphin. “Meridian! What brings you?”

“The clownfish are ready to find their home, guardian. The first of the season. Come see?” A series of whistles and clicks, followed by a well-timed tail slap.

She chuckled. “Take me to them.”

They descended to the reefs. Familiar pinks and periwinkles of corals, and the muted undertone of seabeds swirled into view. Schools of butterfly fish, smears of yellow and blue, circled around her tail, chasing after a length of seaweed tangled through it.

“Nessa, look.”

Small orange fish emerged from a rocky shelf, headed towards a patch of sea anemone nearby. Their first step of adulthood~ to find a host to spend the rest of their life. They traveled as a group, almost as if bound by an invisible link. She tracked the tips of their tails as they disappeared into the iridescence of an anemone, dusting the tentacles off with their fins to claim it as their own. Their new home.

She exhaled, tearing her eyes away reluctantly. How could she not? There was something humbling about witnessing an important milestone. “Stay safe little ones,” she murmured. A silky nose bumping against her shoulder brought her around, chortling, “Meridian, what--”

“Join us for a game of hide-and-seek?” The approach of a school of dolphins overshadowing Meridian couldn’t be ignored. She grinned, swimming up towards them. Her family.
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

⊰ ━━ « one month prior » ━━

Postby Vivika » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:34 am

■ ■ ■

The waters dissolved, fading to thin air. Vibrant corals replaced for the emerald greens of the forest. Her tail was replaced for paws~ four of them. A gift from the mist, after being chosen to guide the land creatures as she’d done with the aquatics. At any moment, she could trade her tail for paws, and paws for a tail. One of the perks for guiding both realms.

She sorted through the herbs at her side, resting a paw on a dark leaf. Perhaps this would work to soothe the odd listlessness of that dolphin...

“Evain.”

She blinked as a silver tom approached, green gaze steady on hers. Her worries eased as she met his gaze, the troubles of the aquatics, fading to the back of her mind. “No Evie, today?” she teased. “Marcelus, how could you?” She cleared her throat, cheeks warming. “I wasn’t expecting you today. Is your clan well?”

“My apologies, guardian.” He smiled, one side of his muzzle tugging upwards. “Evie, yes. Are you busy? I could return later--”

“No! I mean… you had something in-mind?”

He laughed softly, leading her deeper in the forest. “Do you hear them?”

She paused. Overhead, birds sat perched in trees that towered above. They chirped a lilting melody, highs and lows catching in sync, each to a tune of its own. A song from the heart. One she couldn’t understand, yet stirred something within. She strained to decipher it, to make sense of those whistles and chirps.

It was too soon. It’d take moons to learn their tongue to translate. But perhaps... that made it special-- the mystery woven through the song.

“It’s beautiful.”

“Lovely isn’t it? I come here to distract myself sometimes. From the clan--not that I don’t like them. They’re family. Just… all that responsibility you know?” He paused for a beat, then two. He shifted awkwardly. “I’ve kept you long enough. We should--”

“Wait! I understand. I just didn’t expect… ” To be understood. The aquatics were family, but they didn’t understand. Not like this. They didn’t shoulder the burden of responsibility, couldn’t understand the weight on her shoulders. She cleared her throat, “Well, uh, I appreciate the company. I… like your company.”

The corner of his muzzle tugged upwards. Funny, how the simplest of gestures said so much. She leaned close, resting a shoulder against his. The embrace after was the safest she’d ever felt.
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

⊰ ━━ « present time » ━━

Postby Vivika » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:38 am

■ ■ ■

She was back. And far too soon.

“Have you made your decision?”

“Why? There must be another way.”

“You know why. Have you already forgotten?”

The waters washed over her once more.
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

⊰ ━━ « one month prior » ━━

Postby Vivika » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:46 am

■ ■ ■

The first of them had fallen. A young dolphin, eyes lifelessly staring. He wasn’t the last. A plague. One that devastated populations. Eyes turned to her, their guardian and protector for answers. Answers she didn’t have.

Darkness lurked close to her heart. She bowed her head, tears gathering. She’d failed them.

She'd never expected to fall for him. To fall for those green eyes that promised the world and that lopsided smile. She’d been a fool. The guardian of both land and waters, blessed with immortality and wisdom-- one who neglected her duties. Time had passed too quickly. The listlessness had spiraled out of control, and--

There’d been no escape. Case after case, death after death. The sickness spreading like blood in waters. She'd dyed the tip of her tail pink: a reminder of her failure. A breath in to calm herself. She needed--

“Evie? You okay?”

“Marcelus.” She glanced towards him as he stepped closer. "I-I don’t know. They’re depending on me… I can’t.”

He coughed, shoulders shaking. Tired eyes turned towards her, offering a hint of a smile. “You’ll do it, Evie. You were chosen as guardian for a reason. You can.”
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

⊰ ━━ « present time » ━━

Postby Vivika » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:47 am

■ ■ ■

“Choose.”

The lump in her throat grew. A moment of weakness, one that cost lives. Including his. A blaring sign that she couldn’t handle the responsibility of both realms, just one. She was caught in-between two worlds, each that she loved so deeply.

"You can."

Had he known? She clung to those words, a lifeline.

Two worlds, each that taught her so much. In the oceans, the importance of family. Of duty. Sticking together as those fish did to find a home. Bound by an invisible thread, bound by an unshakable bond.

And the lands that breathed life into her, birds teaching her how to embrace the simple, and the unknown. To find beauty in mystery, and grace in failure. To find someone who believed in her.

She drew a breath in. “T-the waters.”

Was it the right one? Perhaps. But perhaps that was what made life worth living. The mystery. Not knowing what her choice would bring, where her song would lead her. Marcelus would understand as clan leader, returning to a place of duty --to those she called family-- to fulfill an oath she'd sworn and broken. To restore the trust she'd shattered.

She looked to the shores. Maybe one day there'd be a chance for redemption. Maybe one day she'd be able to guide that growing clan of his. For now, she had to walk the path she'd chosen. She lifted her chin.

“I choose the waters.”
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

⊰ ━━ « credits » ━━

Postby Vivika » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:55 am

And a closing post for honesty & credits! Thank you for the opportunity to try-out for this sweet bb. <33

« image credit (edits by me) »
    « points used: 5 (totaling 1,250 words) »
    « word count: 1,250 (according to wordcounter.net) // minus the '■ ■ ■' »
Vivika

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me