How to draw wings pt2 by Ki-Mono

Based on Click to view
Artist Ki-Mono [gallery]
Time spent 41 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
16 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

How to draw wings pt2

Postby Ki-Mono » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Omg sorry for the long wait. I would like to remind people that I do these for fun in my spar time, so things may not always happen quickly. Motivation is a fickle thing for me. Coming and going whenever it pleases ^-^;

Since I've written about wings before, I may keep this short and sweet. Please check out this and this for my two past wing red-lines.

The best part about wings, is that you always have your best reference with you: yourself! Your arm and the arm of a bird/bat actually move in similar ways and have similar joint placements. Here is a great visual for it! The main difference is that the wrist can practically curl into itself all the way. Ours can't. Otherwise, our own arms make a great, easy to get, reference.

A bird wing is covered in feathers and a bat wing is covered in skin. This you most likely knew, but I digress.
A bird wing can be separated into two sections pretty easily. The first section is where the actual bone is. I was having a really hard time finding a reference imagine of what I was exactly talking about (without finding horribly abused birds that is), but here is something I found that may help. Wing clipping is a heated topic among bird owners, so I'll try not to get into it; but here is another imagine to try and help understand that part of wing area is actually where their bones and nerves are etc, while the rest is mainly just feathers.
To loop the conversation back to drawing; there is technically more then just two parts of the feathers to draw, but it is a great starting place. Especially if the up-most realism isn't what you're looking for.
When it comes to the actual shape of the wings, that once is very hard to explain. I recommend just looking up reference imagines, and drawing wings until you are able to subconsciously understand it better. To put it in the simplest of terms though: you are going to follow the shape of the "arm" or the bones. Out, then in, then out again. I hope that makes sense. They aren't squares, they aren't rectangles, and they aren't a triangle shape that's just "big on one end, small on the other". My main advice is to follow the shape of the arm, which is similar to your own arm.

Bat/dragon wings are really funky and something I struggle with, so I'll do my best on this.
The fact that a bird's wings are like our arms still applies here; however, unlike the bird, the finger bones go all the way down on a bat wing. They always curve inward. Not outward, and not straight. Inward.
The skin itself is stretched between each finger, and folds in on itself when the wings fold. You may want to look up references for this. You can barely see this happening on your own hands, but its very slight.
The actual wing, at least on a bat, attach to both the arms and legs; stretching over the whole side of the body. In my humble opinion, dragon designs that also do this look much better. Trying to get your bat wings to attach to just the arms will always make them look weird to me. Of course, many dragon artist do this; so it is possible to make it look alright. However, if you want something more on the realistic side, you are going to want them to go down the side of the body.

Once you start to understand the anatomy of a wing better, folded wings will get easier. They are hard to describe, but in general, the lower part is under the upper part. Here is a simple gif to get you started.
Last edited by Ki-Mono on Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ki-Mono

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: How to draw wings pt2

Postby starpups16 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:07 pm

owo Thank you! I kinda figuered it out but this will help a ton!

Icon by leaves
starpups16

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby emrys » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:08 pm

Mark owo

alex | asian american | she/her
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
trades ۰ fr ۰ pfq ۰ dv ۰ ©
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

[★] personal archive | [☾] dreamies/goals
emrys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ki-Mono » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:14 pm

300 years later, I finally returned and wrote a little somethin' somethin' in the description~
Ki-Mono

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me