Celiac Disease Awareness

Create and decorate a scene with your friends to show off your favorite pets!

"Celiac Disease Awareness" by Squecca

Celiac Disease Awareness

Postby Squecca » Mon May 01, 2023 6:05 pm

May is celiac disease awareness month so I thought I'd raise some awareness on a very misunderstood condition!

Celiac Disease Awareness (Outside of the US, it's often spelled Coeliac)

•Celiac disease is a genetic autoimmune disease triggered by the activation of the HLA genes, most notably HLA-DQ1 and HLA-DQ2.

•It is a condition that causes the sufferer’s immune system to attack the small intestines when gluten, a protein found in certain grains such as wheat, rye, and barley, is consumed. Repeat exposure can completely shave down the intestinal villi!

•It can be identified through endoscopes and blood testing.

•There are about 2-3 million Americans diagnosed with it, and an estimated 1 in 100 people worldwide suspected, but only 30% are diagnosed.

•Without treatment, it can cause permanent intestinal damage, osteoporosis, some types of cancer, brain damage, malabsorption, infertility, and even death.

•Celiac disease arose 10,000 years ago, was given a name 2,000 years ago, and its association with gluten was discovered in 1953.

•So far, the only treatment is to eat gluten free. Celiac disease has no cure and can not go away.

•A celiac can only eat as much as 20 ppm (parts per million) of gluten before being damaged. That is about a particle, or a fraction of a bread crumb.

•Gluten is not required to be labeled on foods, medicines, or any other product in the United States, despite being required in 85 other countries, including the UK, the European Union, Canada, Australia, Russia, China, India, Mexico, etc.

•The US FDA legally allows gluten to be hidden in ingredients (including the vague “natural flavors” and “artificial flavors”) KNOWING that it is sickening and killing celiacs.

•There is more stigma, bigotry, and ableism surrounding celiac disease than nearly any other autoimmune disease, digestive disease, or food allergy.

•There is significantly less national funding for the research of celiac disease than other similarly common medical conditions. It received some of the lowest amounts of NIH grants.

•The FDA declared in 2021 that sesame be required to be labeled on food products, despite there being much more people who have celiac disease than people who have sesame allergies. (Obviously a huge win for people with sesame allergies though!)

•Because of the rampant stigma, bigotry, and ableism surrounding celiac disease, we have seen many celebrities, politicians, and companies make fun of celiac disease and its sufferers at a rate that we have not seen with ANY other medical condition. Notable bullying perpetrators include: Disney, NBC, Netflix, Party City, Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon, etc. That's how normalized celiac disease stigma is!

•Gluten free food costs 158-242% more than its gluten-filled counterparts, and tends to have more calories.

Fun-ish facts after all that depressing stuff:

•Bananas were thought to be the cure for celiac disease before the gluten component was discovered because people on an all-banana diet had fewer symptoms (but because they weren’t consuming gluten lol)

•The relation to grains was in part discovered when celiac patients happened to feel great during grain shortages (while everyone else was hungry and weaker)

•Even if you have both of the HLA gene mutations for celiac disease, there is still only a 3% chance you'll develop it! However, some people develop celiac disease with only one of the gene mutations. And remember, if you have the gene mutations, you can develop celiac disease at any time, even if you're old!

•If you have a family member with celiac disease, you have a 10% chance of developing it too. If you don't have any family history, you have a 1% chance of developing it.

•People with celiac disease are less likely to get breast and lung cancer <3

I hope you learned something, and feel free to ask questions!

Recommended reading: https://tinyurl.com/2p97bnx6
Last edited by Squecca on Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Celiac Disease Awareness

Postby HeavenScent. » Mon May 01, 2023 7:45 pm

I didnt know too much about celiac disease prior to reading this. Thank you so much for making us all aware of this disease <3
💞HeavenScent.💞

Sig is a work in progress.

Trade Thread: Forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4293556
Adoption Thread: Forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4865460

Oh yeah! A note to lovely staff: I know its not a requirement to have disclaimers like these on your profile but I would like to note that I have a dear friend of mine named Alex (Bailey_Pugggggs). Sometimes, when Alex is unable to log on I account sit for him with his permission and only do what I'm told to do via social media- which is usually just collection pound/lost and found pets/items. That said I'd also like to note that while account sitting I never make trades to myself or others as I feel like this could be seen as cheating (depending on the situation). So, if mods have any questions/concerns for me or Alex please don't hesitate to contact me via email, letting me know whats up! <3 "You are responsible for any actions taken by your account. While “account-sitting” for users who are out of town/unable to login for a period of time is not a bannable offense, we are not obligated to help you if something goes wrong because you shared your account details."
HeavenScent.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Leslien » Mon May 01, 2023 7:48 pm

I have Celiac Disease <3 My mom also has it
Leslien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Tue May 02, 2023 3:57 pm

HeavenScent. wrote:I didnt know too much about celiac disease prior to reading this. Thank you so much for making us all aware of this disease <3

Thank you for your response! I am glad I can teach people :D

Hamtaro~ wrote:I have Celiac Disease <3 My mom also has it

Ahhh sorry to hear that! Hopefully you guys can manage it well!
Image Image
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CryptidHunter_425 » Mon May 08, 2023 3:35 am

I have Celiac so it's nice to see something like this!!
- - - - - - - - - -
Hello! You can call me Cryptid :)
- - - - -
Writer, Roleplayer, Witchling, OSDD1B System, Really Bad Memory
- - - - -
I have really bad chronic pain which keeps me from making art!
I use f2u lines all the time (unless I decide to make edits haha)
- - - - -
Current Major Goal:
All Sitting Cats!!
- - - - -
Last Month's Favorite Pet (somehow reminds me of TangoTek):
- - - - - - - - - -
CryptidHunter_425

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Thu May 11, 2023 1:20 pm

normiesamiright wrote:I have Celiac so it's nice to see something like this!!

<3
Image Image
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HeartFlowerCat » Fri May 26, 2023 7:13 am

I didn't know about Celiac disease, thank you for the info!
HeartFlowerCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Sat May 27, 2023 6:25 am

HeartFlowerCat wrote:I didn't know about Celiac disease, thank you for the info!

Thank you for reading! <3
Image Image
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WarriorcatKitty » Sun May 28, 2023 12:08 pm

This is some good info!
I've been tested for celiac as I am a t1 diabetic, and since they are both autoimmune disorders, t1s have a higher chance of having it as well. They said I don't have it, which is good, but I do think I might have some sensitivity to wheat, not entirely sure. Gluten sensitivity seems to run in my family as my grandma is doing gluten free now from discovering she had some issues with it, and my mom has always said how wheat tends to make her feel really bad and sluggish so idk
I still eat gluten often but it does seem like maybe when I have high amounts of it at once, it messes with my stomach a bit
my memory is the worst, so if you believe i have forgotten art, payment, or anything, please send me a message and remind me!!

Call me Autumn or Wolf !! <3
✨t1 diabetic||ey/em/she/her/they/them||ND||therian✨

please use tone tags with me <3
interests atm: Cartoons/Animation (specifically hyperfixated on hazbin hotel atm), Drawing, Animal Jam, WolfQuest, Warrior Cats.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
everyone go gift Haze rn they are the bestest friend ever <3
✨🌕✨
"late at night, when the stars don't look quite right..."
Image Image Image

WarriorcatKitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Squecca » Mon May 29, 2023 4:00 pm

WarriorcatKitty wrote:This is some good info!
I've been tested for celiac as I am a t1 diabetic, and since they are both autoimmune disorders, t1s have a higher chance of having it as well. They said I don't have it, which is good, but I do think I might have some sensitivity to wheat, not entirely sure. Gluten sensitivity seems to run in my family as my grandma is doing gluten free now from discovering she had some issues with it, and my mom has always said how wheat tends to make her feel really bad and sluggish so idk
I still eat gluten often but it does seem like maybe when I have high amounts of it at once, it messes with my stomach a bit

I'm sorry about you and your family's struggles! People with celiac disease are also more likely to have t1 diabetes, which I've been tested for as well! My blood sugar just runs high though.
The longer you go untreated with celiac disease, the more likely you are to develop additional autoimmune disorders. Thankfully, I was diagnosed at 2 and have been on the proper diet ever since, so hopefully I don't develop any other autoimmune issue. But autoimmune diseases do run in my family :thumbdown:
I hope your grandma feels better now!
Image Image
Squecca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me