Eucatastrophe: A Study in Story

Discuss your favorite websites, or advertise your own website/forum here

Eucatastrophe: A Study in Story

Postby Captain Peregrin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:32 am

"Eucatastrophe” is a term coined by J.R.R.Tolkien to describe a certain necessary element in all the best fairy stories. If a catastrophe is a sudden and unexpected turn for the worst, then a eucatastrophe is a similarly unforeseen sudden joyous turn. When it seems that all is dying and would leave the world to mourn, the sun rises, and all that was sad comes undone. It doesn’t always mean the ending is unequivocally happy (just look at Tolkien’s own great fairy story), but the evil doesn’t win. The Shadow is eclipsed by light and laughter.

This is my literary blog where I discuss my favorite stories: suddenlyeucatastrophe.com

Let's Read The Chronicles of Narnia

I've now completed my discussion of The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis! Whether you've never read these before or read them a dozen times (like me), I hope you can find something to enjoy in my writing.

Let's Watch Princess Tutu

This is my all time favorite anime, and I worked through it in 2017! It's a different medium than I'm accustomed to writing about, but I quite enjoyed the adventure.

Let's Read Fruits Basket

To call Natsuki Takaya's manga my favorite manga wouldn't really mean anything, as it is also the only manga I've bothered to read. It is, however, one of my favorite stories and has had a significant influence on me as a person.

Let's Read The Lord of the Rings

I finally. It was inevitable that I would go through Tolkien's masterwork, so I worked through it (slowly).

Let's Watch Steven Universe

This was a fun one, going through one of my favorite cartoons.

I forgot about this post for a while, so I've got a couple new series to share!

Let's Read Anne of Green Gables
Let's Read The Tale of Despereaux

These two are both series that originated from my own bookshelf, books that I've loved for years and just wanted to share.

Let's Watch The Owl House
I started this series after seeing the second season and hearing about the tragically abridged third season (which did end up quite good all the same). It's still a fantastic show, even if Disney screwed it over.

Let's Read A Wrinkle in Time
This one is a more recent addition to my bookshelf, but an interesting read all the same, mainly for the influence it had on future YA/children's fantasy.

Let's Watch She-Ra and the Princesses of Power
This show is special to me for reasons that you'll just have to wait and read about (spoilers: it's mostly for Catra)
Last edited by Captain Peregrin on Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:30 am, edited 8 times in total.
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Eucatastrophe: A Study in Story

Postby Captain Peregrin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:55 am

Bippity boppity bump
Captain Peregrin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Eucatastrophe: A Study in Story

Postby ALittleLoony » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:56 am

Friendly bump! This is such a cool idea. ^^
to ten million fireflies, I'm weird 'cause I hate goodbyes

Hello there,
I'm currently in the process of quitting. ^^

~♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥~
~♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥~
Don't call yourself trash, Dear.

I got misty eyes as they said farewell...
ALittleLoony

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me