The School of RP

Ask for help with character/plot development or other RP-related content. You can also post your own roleplay guides, tips, and tricks!

The School of RP

Postby Springtalon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:09 am

On the site I've made, we have a Tutorials section for newer RPers, and even some for older RPers although those have yet to be written. So I thought I would bring them over to here for other people to enjoy and hopefully learn from!. Please don't post here. If you have any questions, please PM me instead of posting, thank you!

Original {I am owner, I gave myself permission}

Let's get right into things!
I'll probably post a directory here later ;)
Last edited by Springtalon on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Springtalon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

School of RP: RPing 4 Beginners - Joining an RP

Postby Springtalon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 am

Teacher's Notes:
Hello and welcome to RPing 4 Beginners!
I'm Savannah-the-Caracal and I'll be your RPing teacher today! Let's not waste any more time and get right into things shall we?

Step One: Finding an RP

Before you can roleplay, you must join a RP. There are different literary standards based on RPs, but in this class we'll be focusing on RPs centered on Beginners. Here are some random titles of RPs, None of these exist here on CS as far as I am aware.

Survivors RP - Not Accepting New Members
Rocket Revolution
Wolf Pack roleplay

Of these, it's clear from the title that we can't join Survivors, so that leaves Wolf Pack and Rocket Revolution. The titles tell us a bit, but not much, so let's click on one and head inside. Upon clicking Wolf Pack roleplay, we're greeted with this title post:

RP Owner wrote:The roleplay will be a Wolf Pack roleplay. There are specific roles and rules this story will have, and I'll post them below.

-There are four wold packs, Sunpack, Moonpack, Cloudpack, and Windpack.
-LEADERS Alphas
2ND IN COMMAND Betas
MEMBERS Sigmas
MEMBERS W/ APPRENTICES Selsas
APPRENTICES Zetas
HEALERS/DOCTORS Thetas
WOLF PUPS Wolf pups (duh)
TROUBLEMAKERS Omegas

These are based on real wolf pack members, but I've changed the reality a bit to make it easier/better for roleplay.

Sunpack
Alpha-Fern
Beta-Reed
Moonpack
Alpha-Dust
Cloudpack
Moon(pup)
Windpack

Undecided:

Step Two: Joining

Alright so now we know a bit more. Let's say I wanted to join this one. The taken roles are the Alphas of Sunpack and Moonpack, the Beta of Sunpack, and a pup in Cloudpack. Well now I don't want that little pup to be all alone, so I'll make a post saying my name is Alpha-Rain of Cloudpack.

Savannah-the-Caracal wrote:I'd like to join as Alpha-Rain of Cloudpack :3 {female}
A silver furred wolf, Alpha-Rain has dark blue eyes and a left white paw

Alright so now you can see that not only have I placed my name, rank, and pack, I've also added a description. Other people are going to want to know what your wolf looks like, spare no detail! Alright well...maybe don't go into tooo much detail like 'and Alpha-Rain has exactly 1804 furs on her hind left leg, and 1408 on her right hind leg' Yeah that's a little extreme. But left white paw, dark blue eyes and silver fur, that lets people know what they look like, while still leaving a bit to the imagination. I'll go into more detail later in my rp posts.

Also note I've added her gender. That's very important, if you don't know what gender someone is, well...it's bound to get awkward sooner or later, so be sure you mark the gender of your character.

If an RP comes with a form for characters, be sure you use it and fill it out completely. If you feel somethings missing, maybe add an 'Other' section to it if there isn't one already, and fill it out.

That's all for this lesson, stay tuned for the next one: Your First Post!
once we've
if we stand as
someday becomes
and a prayer becomes a
and the strike starts here
Springtalon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

School of RP: RPing 4 Beginners - The First Post

Postby Springtalon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:18 am

Teacher's Notes:
Welcome back class! In this lesson we'll be learning about how to structure your first post, so let's get right into it.

Step One: Character Info
Alright so at the top of your post, there's a couple of things you're going to want. These aren't needed, but they help keep things easy.
You need to have either a link to your character's form, or a little non-character bit of text that has your character's name, location, and who they're tagged with.
Here's an example of the second one:: Vinetail, Female, Warrior, Fresh-kill pile, Ivypelt and Juniperstar

I hope that made sense, for more more in-depth, see the first lesson 'Joining a Roleplay' and draw the info from your character form and simplify it - adding in location and tags.

Step Two: The Text
Here's the important part of the post, the content. Below, or perhaps above if you're feeling funky, the Character Info, is where your text is gonna go. As time goes on, you'll be able to add more and more text, but for now here's a little example fit for the New Writers section, since that's where this guide is targeted.

Savannah-the-Caracal wrote:Vinetail, Female, Warrior, Fresh-kill pile, Ivypelt and Juniperstar
Vinetail yawned, and stretched out her paws. Tail flicking as she padded closer to the Fresh-kill pile, she sniffed over a mouse, squirrel, and thrush, before deciding on the mouse. Picking it up, she padded over to Ivypelt and Juniperstar. Setting it down she smiled at the other two and said "Hey, mind if I join you?"

Alright, so what do you notice about the post?
Here's what I noticed:: Actions and Interactions.
Vinetail stretched, and picked a piece of prey. She did an Action.
She then walked over to Ivypelt and Juniperstar, and asked them a question. She had an Interaction.

Those two things should always be in your posts. Actions and Interactions are honestly the best way to add words to your post, but more on that in the next class.

That's all for this lesson and today's classes. Next Time we will learn about One on Ones!
See you all next time~
Springtalon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

The School of RP: RPing 4 Beginners - 1x1s

Postby Springtalon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:24 am

Teacher's Notes
Hello class and welcome back!
We spent the last two classes learning about joining group roleplays, and how to get started on them. Today, we're going to spend our two classes on One on Ones.

First off, what is a 1x1?
A 1x1 is a roleplay between two people, and two people only. Others can read their posts, and enjoy the writing, but only the two people who decided to do the rp in the first place can post.

How do you decide to do a 1x1 with someone? Well, typically you post a search. Here on Writingdelight, our search thread is in the Roleplay Search Board. There, you have one thread of five posts to post your preferences, what kind of person you want to roleplay with, and what sorts of roleplays you are looking for.
Here's an example from my search:: (please note that at the time of this writing I had yet to edit it from my WritingDelight search)

Savannah-the-Caracal wrote:I specialize in drama, death, and sad stuff; just read the opening chapter of my fanfiction 'Twisted Timelines'
I typically write between 500-2000 words, depending on my muse level, which is constantly changing because I am constantly falling in love with new things. Please note that real life takes priority [removed], and if I have to make a choice between playing on a minecraft server and going onto [removed], chances are I will pick the minecraft server (do you have a minecraft? I play mainly on Pocket Edition where my usertag is Stormt4lon. I'd love to check out your favorite server if you've got one)
I also prefer realistic faceclaims for non-canon plots, but if you want anime then I will respect that :3
Be warned; my 'source' of realistic faceclaims is youtube XD You might see some famous faces floating around my rps.

Alright so I've got my specialties, how much I am able to write, and a kind of schedule. Honestly I have no real schedule, so I can't exactly put one up.
Anyways, so from this you can actually tell some things about my interests. For example, I mention Minecraft quite a bit, the link is to a Minecraft: Story Mode fanfiction. From that, you can probably guess I'm a huge fan of Minecraft.
So from that, if you the person reading my search, was also a fan of Minecraft, and had a plot you wanted to do, you could send me a message saying something like 'I saw your search, saw you like Minecraft, I've got this RP idea, wanna 1x1 with me?' as well as a little bit about yourself.

Then comes the wait. Sometimes you'll get a reply instantly, sometimes you won't . It just depends on if they're online, when they get online, and how long it takes them to answer. And really, let's be honest, there are two answers you can get. Sometimes they will say yes which is great for the both of you, but sometimes they will say no. You must accept the fact that you aren't always going to get a yes.

After you both agree to the 1x1, there's typically quite a bit of planning through PMs. Figuring out who's going to play what characters, figuring out the tiny gaps in the plot, and other things like that. Then you can decide to either RP in the PMs, or on a Thread. If its on a Thread, be sure to place it in the correct board.

Alright, time to end this class. Stay tuned for the next one: 'Making a Roleplay'
Last edited by AquilaFuga on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rule-breaking content removed
Springtalon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The School of RP: RPing 4 Beginners - Creating a Rolepla

Postby Springtalon » Fri May 11, 2018 8:23 am

Teacher's Notes
Terribly sorry about the delay, this one took longer than expected to write

Say you have an idea.
And absolutely amazing idea that you just HAVE to RP it. You go to the boards, and you start searching, praying that someone else had this idea first so you can join their roleplay. You even search in advanced boards that you aren't quite sure if you'll be able to write for, their literary standards are so high.

But then, something unexpected happens.

You don't find it.

You search long and hard, but finally you give up.

Maybe you wait a day or two, seeing if it will be made. You even go offsite, desperate and longing for this plot.
But finally, you realize the only way that you'll be able to roleplay this plot is if you, that's right YOU make it.

Here is my imaginary plot (feel free to use :3)

Cats and foxes have always been at war. But when a small group dares to defy the natural order, they will learn much about each other and themselves.

The first step is making a thread. Go to wherever it is you want it and his the 'new thread' button.

Keep things simple for now, you can organize later.

Write down your plot, as well as anything extra, a table of contents, some rules, whatever you want. Keep the starting post relatively short though, you can use other posts below it for other things. Come up with a title, and be sure to add 'WIP' at the end, so people know not to post yet.

Over the next however long it takes, prettify your post. Make it attractive and enticing. RPing with only one person in said RP has a special name.
It's called Fanfiction.

Once you're ready, spread the word. Look in similar threads that are slightly inactive, and message the members, inviting them to your brand new, shiny, active RP. If it's possible, post in advertisement threads, maybe even put a link in your signature.

Remember, don't be discouraged if people don't join right away, or if people you invite say no. It takes some time to get a roleplay going, but once you've got it started, it will be pretty difficult to get it stopped.

That's it for now, see you next time with the final lesson in RPing 4 Beginners 'Characters' where we study how to make awesome, well rounded characters.
Springtalon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me