Help with character form?

Ask for help with character/plot development or other RP-related content. You can also post your own roleplay guides, tips, and tricks!

Help with character form?

Postby Meoauniaea » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:37 am

I’m at a loss of where to go from here on my current form. First, let’s look at what I have. Please note that this isn’t CS based yet (this is actually a personal database of my characters I’m repairing) and is kinda a blanket thing? As in some of these fields are potentially geared towards dozens of races... :) When I’m done, I will be able to select and compare two characters from the top drop down menu. I’ll release the finished file once it is done if people want it for themselves, but.... I think I’m missing some stuff! Let’s take a look...

Basic info: first name, last name, nickname (all obvious); age and birthday; race and subrace; planet of origin and where they live now.
I do a LOT of sci-fi and am partially developing this for a friend who is a writer, so planet related fields are required. Subrace refers to the subtype in applicable races, for example, if it was a dog role play, this could function as breed.

Sexuality and Dating: gender, pronouns, sexuality (the basics), dating or married to (necessary).
I don’t use most of this but my friend does. I think I probably hold the world record for most oblivious characters to the dating scene owned by a single person.... 65 or so of my characters are single.

Family (history): dad, mom, siblings. Sons and daughters, for those characters who might be married. A misc form for those extra people like cousins, grandparents, or exes that might be mentioned.
“Dating/Married to” went with sexuality and Dating moreso than family.... this is more logical to me.

Pets: three pet slots. I could add more, but I don’t see someone mentioning dozens of pets like I actually own. I just don’t. These slots work for familiars as well. I might make a side pet database? I’m not sure yet? What would that need? Name, species, gender, markings? Equipment? Personality?

Appearance: hair color and style/length, eye colors (one of my races my friend works with is strictly heterochromic after maturity, so this was split into sides), skin color, fur color, markings on skin. Scars/tattoos.
Marpiter markings are special markings that exist within my friend’s story, and they asked for a field for that so they can describe the markings for each person they apply to. There’s a separate form in another sheet that covers the variants for those.
A misc field for those who need to describe something custom on appearance, like “has purple nails”.

WHAT I KNOW IS MISSING:
I know I’m missing space for character history, active campaigns, and inventory. I think a “past campaigns” thing might be useful, but not for comparison charts since it can be a space hog.

I need fields for clothing I think? Where applicable lol.... I have one character who is a blue furred little person and just.... try putting a shirt on him. I dare you.

You can call me Hadley, that's fine too.
How to say my username (and the meaning)
Toyhou.se || Flight Rising || Pixpet || Final Outpost || PFQ
Discord: redfailhawk

Lilypad won her AKC CGC title on 10/18/23!
Lilypad won her CGCA title on 11/8/23!

NaNoWriMo Winner:
2018-2019-2020-2021-2022-2023
Meoauniaea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Help with character form?

Postby raey » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:01 pm

You are missing what I believe is actually the most important thing about characters - Personality.
    What is your character's main personality traits, what are their likes, dislikes; habits, mannerisms; world-views, ideologies, where do they stand in their life? All these things are the most essential thing. Clothing and appearance can change all over the time (hair, clothing, scars, tattoos are all temporary). Sure the personality is very likely to change too over time, but it is what gives your character depth. When creating a new character I always start thinking about who they are, what is their role in the story and world they are living in. Once that stands you still can give them a face and maybe even give them features that can underline or especially contrast to their personality.
    Also it never harms of writing out a history up to the point where your character is now.
raey

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Help with character form?

Postby Meoauniaea » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:51 am

Thank you! I’ve added that in!

I moved in ten fields for major history events, since that will likely be defined drastically and I want to be able to sort out who has a lot of backstory and who does not.

Personality now has:
Personality Type
Alignment
Role in a party
The question most likely to turn them against their own nature (their personal ethical dilemma)
Likes (top five)
Dislikes (top five)
Nervous habit
World View
Ideology

I have also added these:
Memories (best, worst, biggest secret, greatest achievement)
Dreams (dream job, greatest desire, worst failure, greatest fear)
Religion (Name, observes?, superstitions?, holidays celebrated, misc)
Body Misc (allergies, phobias, handicaps, habits/mannerisms)
Build Misc (handedness, build, height, weight)
Languages (spoken, read)
Weaponry and fighting (main, secondary, fight method, fight position, views on fighting/war, misc)

I think I’m just shy of the goal so far.

You can call me Hadley, that's fine too.
How to say my username (and the meaning)
Toyhou.se || Flight Rising || Pixpet || Final Outpost || PFQ
Discord: redfailhawk

Lilypad won her AKC CGC title on 10/18/23!
Lilypad won her CGCA title on 11/8/23!

NaNoWriMo Winner:
2018-2019-2020-2021-2022-2023
Meoauniaea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me