Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Polaris Guardians by Shadow Striker

Based on Click to view
Artist Shadow Striker [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 49 minutes
Drawing sessions 7
23 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Polaris Guardians

Postby Shadow Striker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Polaris Guardians
Home| Nursery | Suggestions |Fanclub| Artist Search| Customs | Lore | Traits | Available Adopts | The Mark Shop

What are Polaris Guardians?

Polaris Guardians, or Guardians for short, are a closed species owned by Shadow Striker. This means you cannot create your own without a creation pass. Guardians will be available for adoption through various competitions, raffles, events, and occasionally C$ or DA auctions.
Species News:
We are officially launching!! I still have a few more things to work on, but everything is mostly set up!!

Last edited by Shadow Striker on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Avatar is made by the wonderful Yugi
~My Viscets~

Mordecai and Aonani owned by me.

Art by bellumi
Marrock and Whispering Echoes owned by me.
Aviana owned by ~Phantom
Art By Grifforik
Shadow Striker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Polaris Guardian Staff

Postby Shadow Striker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:32 pm

~Polaris Guardian Staff~

Currently Seeking Archivists and Moderator!
Please fill out the form below and PM it to me (Shadow Striker) titled Polaris Guardian Staff App

Code: Select all
[center]I would like to apply!
Username:
Position Desired:
Why do you want to be part of the team:
Experience (if any, not required):
Other:
[/center]

General Staff

Positions wrote:
Owner:
    That is me (Shadow Striker). I own rights to the entire species and can change rules or even species function anytime I choose. I select staff and artists as well as plan events, consulting other staff as needed.
Artist:
    Artists are in charge of creating new guardians for adoption as well as creating nursery batches. They are expected to release two per month minimum. They also help plan events and brainstorm for species updates.
Ghost Artist:
    Ghost Artists are species artists who are not currently active. If an artist does not post at least two adopts for two months in a row, they will be moved to this category. After 6 months of remaining on the ghost artist list, they will be removed from staff and the lines. To be moved back to the artist position, they must be regularly active as an artist for two months.
Moderator:
    Polaris Guardian moderators help ensure the Guardian community is adhering to the species guidelines, as well as helping answer questions related to the species.
Archivist:
    They help keep record of who owns what guardians and items. If you are transferring a guardian or any species items to a different user, please PM the archivist so they can update our archive.

Current Staff wrote:
Owner:
Artists:
Moderators:
    None Yet!
Archivists:
    None Yet!
Previous Staff:

Species lines drawn by EmberWolf

Moderator and Archivist "Salary"
Earned Customs
1 Standard Custom upon hire (After 1 month trial period)
1 Custom after 2 months with unlimited common traits
1 Custom after 4 months with 3 unusual and unlimited common traits
Additional customs awarded every month depending on activity level in community and based on continual work.
You will be sent a message every time you've earned a staff creation pass.
You can only have one staff creation pass in your possession at a time. You must use it or gift it to earn another.
These customs can be gifted to other users

Artist Rules:

NO drastic line edits. Any questions, please PM Shadow Striker
Please judge all contests within TWO WEEKS MAX of them ending
Please try to keep designs clean and not all over the place.
Background can be changed, but please keep it simple
Use common sense when adding traits to guardians:
Don't have unusual traits on every adopt you make,
Don't overload with traits.

Artists "Salary":
1 Standard custom upon hire (after 1 month trial period)
Upon approval, you can earn:
1 Custom after 2 months with unlimited common traits
1 Custom after 4 months with 3 unusual and unlimited common traits
After that, you earn a custom every other month you are an active and involved artist in the community.
with unlimited unusual and common traits (No seasonal or mythical traits)
You can only have one staff creation pass in your possession at a time. You must use it or gift it to earn another.
You will be sent a message every time you've earned a staff creation pass.
These custom slots can be gifted to other users.

Other Contributors

Current Line Art:
EmberWolf

V1 Line Art:
Aiden Freaking McKay

Original Lines:
Skyler1515

Species Concept & Mini-Adopt Lines:
Bean_Cake
Last edited by Shadow Striker on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.
~My Viscets~

Art by bellumi
Aviana owned by ~Phantom
Art By Grifforik
Shadow Striker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Polaris Guardian Rules

~Rules~

~General Rules~
-This is a closed species, you may not create your own without a Creation Pass
-All rules are subject to change and editing.
-No passive aggressive comments towards anyone in the community or whilst competing in competitions.
-Do not rush anyone when it comes to making runner ups or customs, they are not obligated to award runner ups or do customs for anyone.
-Be respectful towards everyone, this includes no begging for breedings, Creation Passes, etc.
-Items CAN be added to Polaris Guardians, however, they are not allowed to mimic any sort of anatomy. This means no bionic limbs, wings, or anything of that sort.
-Scars, injuries, and tattoos can be added, but they must not change the design in any way and they are uninheritable. A reference must be posted with out them as well.
- If added to the reference, you are not allowed to change the design in anyway, shape, or form. Only the above things and expressions can be changed or added. If caught doing otherwise, depending on the circumstance, it will result in a strike or even an immediate ban.
- Mods and Artists are allowed to give strikes whilst only the species owner (Shadow Striker) is allowed to issue bans.
-Polaris Guardians can be treated as original characters in regards to personality, sexuality, alternate universes, etc.
-No one can tell someone else how to develop their Guardians. Once someone owns it, they have all creative rights to it.
- No public controversial issues, NSFW, or any sort of non CS-friendly material
-Feel free to roleplay with your guardians as you choose. They can inhabit any kind of fantasy or realistic worlds you wish. They can be feral, anthro, however you choose. Please though respect the community and anyone you roleplay with, such as magical guardians in a feral setting. Follow all guidelines people set in place for their role-plays.
-Ask permission before creating any public thread (open role-plays for example.)This is to help prevent duplicate threads and to help us keep track of them! Private threads such as OC storage, gift lines, or 1x1 RP is fine (though please share your gift lines! We would love to see them!)

~Ownership Rules~
-You are allowed unlimited Polaris Guardians and 10 customs. This is subject to change, but as of right now I see no point in limiting them.
-Currently there are no restrictions on how many Guardians you can win per month, but this may be subject to change
-You can only claim a single nursery batch per month.
-Occasionally, if an artist has a hard time deciding between 2-3 forms, they may award a runner up, which is a similarly designed guard to the original, with either different colors, similar patterning, or both. Let the artist know ASAP if you want a Guardian or would rather trade the runner up for Marks to use in the Mark Shop. A runner up is worth 3 marks. Any honorable mentions earn 1 mark.
-You can only trade Polaris Guardians using the official trade thread. You can only trade twice in one month (trade thread not up yet)
-Guardians cannot be sold unless bought originally for currency. If bought, they cannot be sold for more than purchase price.
-A single Guardian can only change owners twice every 3 months.
-Contact Shadow Striker if you wish to give up ownership of any Polaris Guardians. You can host the re-adoption yourself or staff can handle it if you wish.
-When putting your Polaris Guardians for re-adoption please think carefully, as once the competition has started it will not be stopped for any reason and a winner must be chosen. If a re-adoption is up for more than 30 days, staff will take over the re adoption.

Last edited by Shadow Striker on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
~My Viscets~

Art by bellumi
Aviana owned by ~Phantom
Art By Grifforik
Shadow Striker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Polaris Guardian Traits

~Mutations & Rarities~
Have an Idea for a Mutation? PM Shadow Striker!
You could win a Level 1 Creation Pass!

A Note on Traits:
Individual Polaris Guardians do not have a rarity assigned to them. The individual traits have rarities.
A Guardian can have a combination of traits of different rarities.

~Standard~
    No Mutations

~Common Traits~
    -Glow Plate Shape Edits
    -Mane Length Edits
    -Hair Edits (Mane extending to top of head)
    -Body fur edits
    -Nose Edits - Wolf, Dog, Rabbit
    -Slit Pupil
    -Colored Sclera
    -Sabre Fangs (Idea by Agent Maine(Meta))
    -Heterochromia (Full and Partial)

~Unusual Traits~
    -Horn Shape Edits
    -Extra Horns
    -No Horns or missing Horns
    -Complete Glow Plate edits (Location and Shape)
    -Extra Glow Plates
    -Ear Edits
    -Curly mane
    -Tail Shape Edits (No extreme edits such as mermaid tails, tail mouths, or scorpion tale)

~Seasonal Traits~
Only give out during specific events

~Mythical Traits~
Only given out once a year, during events
    -Multiple Tails
    -Wings
    -Glass Guardian (Transparent body/fur)
Last edited by Shadow Striker on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
~My Viscets~

Art by bellumi
Aviana owned by ~Phantom
Art By Grifforik
Shadow Striker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Polaris Guardian Custom Information

Postby Shadow Striker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 pm

~Creation Pass Information Center~
Creation Pass Sales are Currently: OPEN| CLOSED

Creation Pass Rules:

-You can buy Creation Passes using C$ or DA points
-You can have up to 10 Customs
-You must PM Shadow Striker (Me) BEFORE sending any payment or attempting to purchase Creation Passes
-Creation Passes can be gifted to other users and can only be sold for the amount they were purchased for or less.
-You can hold raffles and contests for Creation passes but cannot have an entry fee
    No bluffing
    All promised Creation Passes MUST be awarded if hosting a contest or raffle
-You must PM Shadow Striker (me) to be added to the lines
    Please include a list of all planned mutations when doing so
-Some staff are more than happy to help you design and create them. Just PM them to ask!
-You can have someone else who isn't staff create your custom too.
-Please add a cover over your custom until the design and mutations are approved
    You will need to add me to it temporarily so I can see
    If edits aren't approved, I will PM you with what needs changed
-Seasonal and Mythical traits cannot be put onto a custom
-DA Payment Here

Creation Pass Prices:

Level 1 Creation Pass
      Standard Guardian (No edits)
      800 Points OR 144 C$
    Level 2 Creation Pass
      Up to 2 common traits
      1200 Points OR 216 C$
    Level 3 Creation Pass
      Up to 3 common and 1 unusual trait
      1600 Points OR 288 C$
    Level 4 Creation Pass
      Up to 3 common and 2 unusual traits
      2200 Points OR 396 C$
    Level 5 Creation Pass
      Unlimited common and unusual traits
      Only Available During Events and in Mark Shop
Last edited by Shadow Striker on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
~My Viscets~

Art by bellumi
Aviana owned by ~Phantom
Art By Grifforik
Shadow Striker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Polaris Guardian Species Information

Postby Shadow Striker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 pm

Species Information wrote:
Thought to be extinct, scientists discovered a remote tribe of Polaris Guardians living deep in the arctic tundra. Once hunted for their beautiful and warm pelts, scientists now hope to further protect the species from poachers and help bring them back from the brink of extinction

Appearance and Anatomy wrote:Polaris guardians are a large mammalian species, usually growing to be the size of a lion, although Harkon’s tend to be much larger. This species is highly magical, the very essence seeming to be sourced in their blood.

Their most distinguishing features are the large scale like Glow Plates. During the day, these plates absorb solar energy. When dusk falls, during the dark of winter, or during inclement weather, guardians use their magic to convert solar energy into light, emitting a radiant glow so their clan members can find them. The glow plates on cubs do not glow for about two years, aiding in keeping them safe and hidden from predators.

This peculiar species has extremely thick and velvety soft fur that suffocates any parasites like fleas or mites. Their coats allow them to survive the harsh environments of the arctic. Usually, wild guardian’s manes do not extend to their head, however in captive breeding, Polaris guardians have developed a gene that allows this. Much like lions, they are not born with the thick mane; rather, their manes matures around the same time their Glow Plates do.

This species has many other wonderful features, such as their large ears and powerful tail. Scientists believe they developed the bat like ears to help hear further distances to hunt prey and locate missing clan members. They have an excellent sense of smell, but seem to rely more on their hearing. Although they do have sharp nails, this is not their primary form of attack or defense, instead preferring to utilize the strength of their tails. Their tails are extremely muscular, and they often use these powerful appendages to their advantage during hunting or dominance challenges.

Diet wrote:Polaris Guardians are mainly carnivorous. They eat small and larger mammals, birds, and fish, but stay far away from insects and reptiles of any sort. They have refined hunting skills and can easily take down large prey alone or as a clan. Surprisingly, Polaris Guardians appear to have a sort of moral understanding and only kill for food for their clan or their human companions. Occasionally, they will also gather fruits and berries to eat as well, but seem to eat the sugary treats rather sparingly. Their preference seems to be berries over other sorts of fruits. Commercial diets have been perfected to provide balanced meals for domesticated guardians, but like most carnivores, they still won’t hesitate to eat any fresh meat they are offered.

Environment wrote:Polaris Guardians originally inhabited the most frigid areas of the arctic tundra. Their thick fur allows them to live there without feeling an ounce of cold. However, when scientists took them out of the arctic, they found that Guardians are surprising adaptable, and do not have to be restricted to the shrinking areas. Now days, Polaris Guardians live as domesticated pets and in zoos all over the world, although wild ones are still found roaming the tundra.

Social Structure wrote:In the wild, Polaris Guardians live in large, formidable packs called clans. As these animals are incredibly smart, they have formed a distinct clan system. Clan sizes have been found to range anywhere from as small as 5 to as large as 130 clan members. Wild clans have a strict hierarchy system in place to help prevent dominance struggles.

The Harkon dragon is what many would just refer to as the alpha dragon. The clan Harkon usually is a male of pure Harkon(Alpha) blood line, but occasionally the Harkon has been found to be female or of lower class descent. The next in command are Vipets or betas. A clan usually has 2-4 Vipets. After the Vipets is the Gults. Gult numbers range anywhere from 2-20, depending on clan size. Vipets and Gults are commonly not "full-blooded" and are just powerful leaders within the pack. Anyone not in these ranks are referred to as the Ticks, or just simply, the common class. This system allows for peaceful living in the clan, however power struggles do arise from time to time.

Although relatively rare, a Vipet or Gult may feel the need to challenge the Harkon for their position. This is known as the dominance challenge. The way they compete differs greatly. Sometimes they may race or even solve simple puzzles, but most of the time, they fight, usually to the death. During these fights, they use their powerful tails to gain the upper hand. Usage of their claws creates uproar in the clan, immediately halting the challenger.

Once scientists took Polaris Guardians into captivity, it was discovered that these animals are incredibly docile and were very easy to domesticate. They live very happily with human owners, serving as great companions, guards, hunters, and even service animals. Scientists believe that Guardians see their human companions as their Harkon.

Of course, like all pets, stray Guardians do exist, sadly. Because of their large stature and powerful, dangerous abilities, stay clans can be extremely hazardous in cities and towns. Some stray clans have developed though in forests, river areas, and grass lands. Anywhere there is life, these creatures are proving they can not survive, but thrive.
Last edited by Shadow Striker on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
~My Viscets~

Art by bellumi
Aviana owned by ~Phantom
Art By Grifforik
Shadow Striker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Polaris Guardian Mark Shop

Postby Shadow Striker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:35 pm

~Mark Shop~

Where you can redeem Marks for Creation Passes and Mark Shop exclusive Nursery items!

How to earn your marks:
To be credited HM and Runner Up Marks, please PM Shadow Striker with a description and link to the contest in which you were awarded said HM or Runner Up
- Runner Ups are similar appearing Guardians rewarded in contests where the artist has a particularly difficult
time deciding the winner between 2-3 forms, but they can be traded for Marks instead.
Amount: 5 Marks
-Honorable Mentions awarded to forms that were excellent, but not quite the level of being awarded a Runner Up
Amount: 3 Marks
-If someone marks the thread, they can say they were referred to it by you. If they do, you are BOTH rewarded
Amount: 1 Mark
-It is possible that raffles or other events may be held that will reward with marks. Keep an eye out!

All prices subject to change

Creation Passes:
Allows you to create your own NLD!

15 Marks = Level 1 Creation Pass
      Standard Guardian (No Edits)
    20 Marks = Level 2 Creation Pass
      Up to 2 common traits
    35 Marks = Level 3 Creation Pass
      Up to 3 common and 1 unusual trait
    45 Marks = Level 4 Creation Pass
      Up to 3 common and 2 unusual Traits
    60 Marks = Level 5 Creation Pass
      Unlimited common and unusual Traits

Nursery Items:
None yet, check back when nursery is open!

The Bank
Where user's marks and all transactions are tracked
Tryxr (595519) - 3 Marks
Last edited by Shadow Striker on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
~My Viscets~

Art by bellumi
Aviana owned by ~Phantom
Art By Grifforik
Shadow Striker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Available Guardians

Postby Shadow Striker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:36 pm

~Available Polaris Guardians~
These poor lil guys are looking for a home!

~Regular Adoptions~
Image Image

~Contests and Events~
None right now, but check again soon!

~Community Hosted~
None Right Now

~PPS Guardians~
None Right Now
Last edited by Shadow Striker on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~My Viscets~

Art by bellumi
Aviana owned by ~Phantom
Art By Grifforik
Shadow Striker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Polaris Guardian Reserverd

Postby Shadow Striker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:36 pm

This post is reserved
~My Viscets~

Art by bellumi
Aviana owned by ~Phantom
Art By Grifforik
Shadow Striker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Polaris Guardians - Open for Marking

Postby Shadow Striker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:37 pm

This species is undergoing a complete overhaul, but please feel free to mark! I hope to finish basic set up and get the artist search up tomorrow!
~My Viscets~

Art by bellumi
Aviana owned by ~Phantom
Art By Grifforik
Shadow Striker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me