Based on Click to view
Artist Artwork-Is-Key [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 33 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
31 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

#9 - Salamanders - starrystarrynight's Tortoro

Postby Artwork-Is-Key » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:19 am

♡ What is Forever-Chance ResQ all about? ♥

Forever-Chance ResQ is an animal rescue center, dedicated to adopting out a wide variety of critters, both large and small. Some of the animals brought to us have had a rough past, while a few were picked up off the street. Still others were former pets but the previous owners could not maintain their upkeep, thus surrendering the animals here. Each animal that is brought to FCR goes through a rehabilitation program which assesses their individual needs, strengths, and weaknesses. But no matter their background or history, all of the animals here are looking for a new home, where they will be loved unconditionally and forever. Will you adopt one of them, giving them a "forever-chance"?

Forever-Chance ResQ is dedicated to finding the perfect home for each individual creature, and we encourage potential adopters to be 'picky' about which pet you chose to try out for. c: Do not collect these guys like other adoption places here on CS. We wish our animals to be adopted out to caring and dedicated new owners. So please, do not try out for an animal unless you would surely be interested adopting.

About this Animal
██ ███ ██████ ████████████████████████████████ ██████ ███ ██
These two salamanders were surrendered by their owners after one decided to escape one too many times and got attacked by their cat. They could not risk having one..or both killed because one wanted to be adventurous. Unfortunately the owners never told us if they were named. Right now we just call them Thing One and Thing Two...Thing One being the adventurous little guy. Thing two was attacked by the cat once and suffered injuries, so he has been in recovery, but now he is all better and ready to be adopted.

Thing Two is open! Thing One is all mine(I got approval from Vet). These two have the exact same colors(Thing Two's eyes are darker though) but a bit different design. Thing Two has less red on him than Thing One does, Plus his underbelly is the darker grey unlike his brother. Both Salamanders are male and I would prefer that you keep it that way please. But you are free to change his name.

Just fill this form out.

Code: Select all
Username:
Name:
Personalty:
Favorite Thing to Do:
How will you take care of _____:
Other Information:

You may pretty up your form, but please do not add to it.

I have decided to name my little Salamander Nero.

~

Ending Date: February 9th, 2014

~
Last edited by Artwork-Is-Key on Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DEVIANTARTARTFIGHTTOYHOUSE
FURVILLAAYWASDAPPERVOLK

▪ DISCORD: Key #4509 ▪
ImageImageImage

I am known as Artwork-Is-Key and Keyoto-TheFox (With and without dashes). Most of the time, unless otherwise said, both names mean me. :3
Artwork-Is-Key

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: #9 - Salamanders - Open

Postby starrystarrynight » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:01 pm

Username:

starrystarrynight

Name:
Tortoro

Nickname:
Toto

Personalty:
Funny and curious.

Favorite Thing to Do:
Swim around in his cage, and if you were to ever take him out, he'd like to poke his head out your pocket! When you're working, he doesn't like to be alone, so might as well put a small tank on your desk, so ha can always be with you!

How will you take care of Tortoro:
I will handle Tortoro with clean, wet hands, free of soap, lotion or perfume residues. Salamanders absorb moisture through their skin and can easily dry out or be affected by harmful chemicals. I'll also avoid holding him for extended periods of time. I'll feed Tortoro in the evening as this is when they are naturally active. Also, I'll keep his habitat moist but not too moist. Not only that, but I'll make sure I play with him. In a nutshell, I'll make sure he is happy and healthy!

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_2044719_care-salamanders.html#ixzz2rYH6zlMq

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_2044719_care-salamanders.html#ixzz2rYGvtgsK

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_2044719_care-salamanders.html#ixzz2rYGeTJT8

Other Information:
A typical salamander has a slender body with a long tail and short nose. Most of them have four limbs, but there are some species with no limbs or reduced limbs. Their forelimbs have four toes each and the hind limbs have five. Another interesting fact is that they don't have claws.
While most of the species are small in size, there are some like the Chinese giant salamander, that can grow up to two meters in length and a weight of around 65 kilograms. In fact, it is the largest living amphibian. You may also find small species with a length of around two to three centimeters.
They have smooth moist skin that is shed at regular intervals. It has been observed that most of the salamanders consume the skin that is shed. The mucus secreted by the skin keeps the animal moist in dry weather and also acts as a lubricant, while they are in water.
While some species have bright skin color or designs, in some others, only males sport bright body colors. Red salamanders have bright red body color with round black spots. However, there are certain species that have white/pink translucent skin. This is mainly seen in those species that dwell underground or in caves.
Even the process of respiration in these animals differ from one species to another. While some of them have lungs, others have only gill slits. Some others have both lungs as well as gill slits. In some species, internal gills as well as gill slits are seen. Some of the terrestrial salamanders are found to breathe through the skin only.
One of the interesting salamander facts is that these animals are capable of autotomy, which can be described as self amputation done by an animal, as a part of self-defense mechanism. They try to divert the attention of the predator by dropping their tails, that wiggle for sometime.
Their diet consists of insects, worms, small animals and snail. Some of the terrestrial salamanders stick out their hyoid bone, along with the tongue, for catching prey. The sticky end of the tongue helps the animal to catch the prey.

Sals from cooler climates bury themselves underground for the winter months. While it may be a bummer to have an ‘empty’ tank sitting around, if sals don’t hibernate, they generally die at a younger age.
Keep in mind that your salamander might not eat during the first few days that he is in his new home. Salamanders get nervously easily and when they are introduced to a new environment, they tend to take a few days to adjust to his new surroundings. Other salamanders, however, will cozy right up to their new home and will eat heartily on day one.
If you bought a juvenile salamander, you should feed him daily until he stops growing and matures into an adult. Salamanders are carnivores--they like to hunt their prey. Because of this preference, you will need to feed your salamander live prey. If you have to purchase dead prey, frozen prey is better than dry prey. Salamanders love:
Live earthworms, nightcrawlers (from a bait shop), bloodworms and crickets (which can be purchased at pet stores), live waxworms, and live slugs.They will also eat frozen bloodworms, though you may have to move the bloodworm around to catch your salamanders attention. In general, salamanders will simply stop eating when they are full. The amount you feed your salamander really depends on him. During the first couple of days that you feed him, provide him with a set amount of prey (you choose the number) and then check back on him in the next couple of hours. If there are any worms or crickets left, you will know that your salamander doesn’t need that much food. If your salamander has not eaten all of him food in the couple of hours after you feed him, it means that he is full. Remove the live prey that is still in his home--if you do not, the live prey could try to bite or irritate your salamander.

Congratulations-ish! You've actually convinced me to get a real, live common fire salamander! With all I've learned from creating this form, I'm already good to go! You can look at more images of them:

- here
- here
- here
- here
You can learn all about the fire salamander itself here and here. If you would ever like to get one of your own, you can check at your local pet store, or from exotic pets, Reptile city, and other websites!
Last edited by starrystarrynight on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
5 Seconds of

Sᴜᴍᴍᴇʀ

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

We've been through a thousand heartbreaks, but you know we still believe.
We wear the same shirts as our fathers, and our hearts upon our sleeve.
Don't stop us now, we've started. 'Cause there's no one we can't beat.

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴ ✴
Credit
starrystarrynight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CLUMSY » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:27 pm

Username:
Paint. You've probably seen me around the boards<3

Name:
Aaron or Ronny for short.

Personality
Around strangers
Around strangers, Aaron isn't his best. He's jumpy and skittish, always trying to dart away from the untrusted person. He generally feels uncomfortable with the way other handle him; touching his tail and face, stroking him, letting his limbs hang down from between their fingers. Most people that hold him quickly request to place him back down as he attempts to dart away from them.

Around other lizards
Ronny, being a less dominant salamander, will usually stay low around new arrivals for a while. He tries to make sure that the other animal is comfortable with him around before he can treat them normally. Once he and the other salamander have established dominance, he's fine.

With his owner
Around his owner, once he's bonded, he's very attached to and can be quite the snugglebug. He enjoys to observe them throughout their daily activities, and hang out up on their shoulder as they walk around.

Favorite Thing to Do:
Aaron's favorite thing to do is swim. He enjoys the serenity and coolness of being underwater, just him and his thoughts; yet still able to observe. He's never been very energetic, so he seems to rather glide through the water than actually "swim".

How will you take care of Aaron?
"Pet"-wise
I'll make sure to feed him often, clean his tank regularly, and make sure the temperature to his cage is right. When holding him I'll make sure not to dry him out; so I'll handle him frequently for short times.

Character-wise
He'd be featured in several of my drawings, and become a loved addition to my character family. I have a leopard gecko in real life, and have always loved lizards; I just don't have any lizard characters. <3

Other Information:
I'm not exactly sure what this section is for, so here I'll just ramble.
I've been stalking this adoption center for a while, and almost tried for the chameleon but didn't feel it was quite right. Now I'm glad to say that I think I've found a gorgeous little guy that I have no problem with taking home ;u;
I'm also happy to say that I will be back, ready to snatch up any other beauties that catch my eye...
Good luck to everyone trying out, I hope I didn't bore you too much o///o
Last edited by CLUMSY on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
CLUMSY

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tea! » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:33 am

Username:
Name:
Personalty:
Favorite Thing to Do:
How will you take care of _____:
Other Information:

salamanders c:

art above by fiskko @ da

tea!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mayaHDTV08 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:13 am

Username: mayaHDTV08
Name: Alex
Personalty: Alex is very playful and active. He loves to tease his brother Nero by hiding in the sand and attempting to scare him. Alex is also very adventurous. He had sneaked out of the tank more than once to explore the house but he was always put back in the tank before he got into any trouble. Alex loves to swim too.
Favorite Thing to Do: Alex's favorite thing to do is jump off his rock into the water.
How will you take care of _____: I will make sure he stops sneaking out of his tank by putting a cover on top. I will take him outside everyday to make him happy.
Other Information: Alex gets lonely without his brother Nero around. So to cheer him up, I plan on getting him a friend to play with.
~Equine Art Shop~My WME's~My Join Me!~200 WME Challenge~Lupus Equines~My Animations~I'm trying out for this JBD and this JBD, please help me by pming me art of them for my forms!

ImageImage
mayaHDTV08

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Artwork-Is-Key » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:13 am

Up

FURVILLAAYWASDAPPERVOLK

ImageImageImage

I am known as Artwork-Is-Key and Keyoto-TheFox (With and without dashes). Most of the time, unless otherwise said, both names mean me. :3
Artwork-Is-Key

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Artwork-Is-Key » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:42 pm

Bump

FURVILLAAYWASDAPPERVOLK

ImageImageImage

Artwork-Is-Key

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Artwork-Is-Key » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:33 am

Up

FURVILLAAYWASDAPPERVOLK

ImageImageImage

Artwork-Is-Key

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Artwork-Is-Key » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Alright...this was hard to judge. Two of the forms I loved and had a hard time choosing, but now..i think I've decided a winner. If i could have a runners up..then the other would be it, but unfortunately I don't believe I can.

The Winner is starrystarrynight! Congratulations!

starrystarrynight wrote:Username:

starrystarrynight

Name:
Tortoro

Nickname:
Toto

Personalty:
Funny and curious.

Favorite Thing to Do:
Swim around in his cage, and if you were to ever take him out, he'd like to poke his head out your pocket! When you're working, he doesn't like to be alone, so might as well put a small tank on your desk, so ha can always be with you!

I will handle Tortoro with clean, wet hands, free of soap, lotion or perfume residues. Salamanders absorb moisture through their skin and can easily dry out or be affected by harmful chemicals. I'll also avoid holding him for extended periods of time. I'll feed Tortoro in the evening as this is when they are naturally active. Also, I'll keep his habitat moist but not too moist. Not only that, but I'll make sure I play with him. In a nutshell, I'll make sure he is happy and healthy!

Other Information:
A typical salamander has a slender body with a long tail and short nose. Most of them have four limbs, but there are some species with no limbs or reduced limbs. Their forelimbs have four toes each and the hind limbs have five. Another interesting fact is that they don't have claws.
While most of the species are small in size, there are some like the Chinese giant salamander, that can grow up to two meters in length and a weight of around 65 kilograms. In fact, it is the largest living amphibian. You may also find small species with a length of around two to three centimeters.
They have smooth moist skin that is shed at regular intervals. It has been observed that most of the salamanders consume the skin that is shed. The mucus secreted by the skin keeps the animal moist in dry weather and also acts as a lubricant, while they are in water.
While some species have bright skin color or designs, in some others, only males sport bright body colors. Red salamanders have bright red body color with round black spots. However, there are certain species that have white/pink translucent skin. This is mainly seen in those species that dwell underground or in caves.
Even the process of respiration in these animals differ from one species to another. While some of them have lungs, others have only gill slits. Some others have both lungs as well as gill slits. In some species, internal gills as well as gill slits are seen. Some of the terrestrial salamanders are found to breathe through the skin only.
One of the interesting salamander facts is that these animals are capable of autotomy, which can be described as self amputation done by an animal, as a part of self-defense mechanism. They try to divert the attention of the predator by dropping their tails, that wiggle for sometime.
Their diet consists of insects, worms, small animals and snail. Some of the terrestrial salamanders stick out their hyoid bone, along with the tongue, for catching prey. The sticky end of the tongue helps the animal to catch the prey.

[center]Sals from cooler climates bury themselves underground for the winter months. While it may be a bummer to have an ‘empty’ tank sitting around, if sals don’t hibernate, they generally die at a younger age.
Keep in mind that your salamander might not eat during the first few days that he is in his new home. Salamanders get nervously easily and when they are introduced to a new environment, they tend to take a few days to adjust to his new surroundings. Other salamanders, however, will cozy right up to their new home and will eat heartily on day one.
If you bought a juvenile salamander, you should feed him daily until he stops growing and matures into an adult. Salamanders are carnivores--they like to hunt their prey. Because of this preference, you will need to feed your salamander live prey. If you have to purchase dead prey, frozen prey is better than dry prey. Salamanders love:
Live earthworms, nightcrawlers (from a bait shop), bloodworms and crickets (which can be purchased at pet stores), live waxworms, and live slugs.They will also eat frozen bloodworms, though you may have to move the bloodworm around to catch your salamanders attention. In general, salamanders will simply stop eating when they are full. The amount you feed your salamander really depends on him. During the first couple of days that you feed him, provide him with a set amount of prey (you choose the number) and then check back on him in the next couple of hours. If there are any worms or crickets left, you will know that your salamander doesn’t need that much food. If your salamander has not eaten all of him food in the couple of hours after you feed him, it means that he is full. Remove the live prey that is still in his home--if you do not, the live prey could try to bite or irritate your salamander.

Congratulations-ish! You've actually convinced me to get a real, live common fire salamander! With all I've learned from creating this form, I'm already good to go! You can look at more images of them:

- here
- here
- here
- here
You can learn all about the fire salamander itself here and here. If you would ever like to get one of your own, you can check at your local pet store, or from exotic pets, Reptile city, and other websites!

I loved that you included a load of information even if I didn't request it(The Other part was pretty much your decision...I had no clue what to make it..). I would add more comments on your form..but I don't know what to say. Overall I think you did pretty good.

I also give Paint an Honor of being the second form that I had to choose from...lol Your form was pretty good too, which made it hard on deciding who should own this boy. So...good job, and I wish you good luck on getting a lizard character next time. ^^

So, Congrats starrystarrynight and take care of Tortoro well.

FURVILLAAYWASDAPPERVOLK

ImageImageImage

Artwork-Is-Key

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby starrystarrynight » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:16 am

.Keyo. wrote:
Alright...this was hard to judge. Two of the forms I loved and had a hard time choosing, but now..i think I've decided a winner. If i could have a runners up..then the other would be it, but unfortunately I don't believe I can.

The Winner is starrystarrynight! Congratulations!

starrystarrynight wrote:Username:

starrystarrynight

Name:
Tortoro

Nickname:
Toto

Personalty:
Funny and curious.

Favorite Thing to Do:

Other Information:

[center]Sals from cooler climates bury themselves underground for the winter months. While it may be a bummer to have an ‘empty’ tank sitting around, if sals don’t hibernate, they generally die at a younger age.

- here
- here
- here
- here

I loved that you included a load of information even if I didn't request it(The Other part was pretty much your decision...I had no clue what to make it..). I would add more comments on your form..but I don't know what to say. Overall I think you did pretty good.

I also give Paint an Honor of being the second form that I had to choose from...lol Your form was pretty good too, which made it hard on deciding who should own this boy. So...good job, and I wish you good luck on getting a lizard character next time. ^^

So, Congrats starrystarrynight and take care of Tortoro well.

^__^ so awesome! Thank you so much! :D
5 Seconds of

Sᴜᴍᴍᴇʀ

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

We've been through a thousand heartbreaks, but you know we still believe.
Don't stop us now, we've started. 'Cause there's no one we can't beat.

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴ ✴
Credit
starrystarrynight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me