Fish Lovers 2.0

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Fish Lovers 2.0

Postby Firefly_Dreamer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:26 am

Bolt1784 wrote:
Equid Phantasm wrote:Hi there.

I don't typically purchase snails, but I'd like to buy some and would like recommendations on which is the best snail to purchase for bare bottom tanks to control the algae there? I do not want another pleco since my 12 inch pleco finally passed away. I do not want a snail variety that reproduces either. I have some Cories but they don't do much for the algae.

I have currently 2 assassin snails, but they never grew bigger than about 1/3 inch and so are pretty worthless in a 55 gallon tank. I do have a 1.5 inch Ottocinclus in there as well, but one little guy left out of 3 isn't helping either. I may just go purchase some other Ottos but wanted to see if anyone thinks the snails might be a better option?

I've heard a lot herein about Nerites and apple snails, but I don't want an apple sized snail either, LOL.

Photos would be amazing!

Equid

Horned nerite snails are small, peaceful with fish, don't reproduce in freshwater, and love to eat algae! (: I have four and they do an awesome job along with the other snails. ♥ But you can't leave the assassin snails in there with them though, since those guys will probably go straight for the nerite snails and eat them.

Horned nerites are the smallest but if they get out (as they can live quite a while out of water, mine dd for a week once) they horns can prick. I would recommend the common zebra nerite over that, and with the horned nerites it is very easy to accidentally break a horn off their shell. The tiger Nerites arent that much harder. The Zebra and Tiger nerites also get a little bit bigger than horned nerites. Through my experience with nerites, they are just a slower otocinclus in the way of algae control... they are very fast for snails and keep the tank clean. mine which i now have in my 55 gal can go around my entire tank 5 times throughout the day. They are all very enjoyable little creatures.

These pictures are not mine, all credit goes to the owners of them.

These are horned Nerites (because you asked for pictures)

Zebra Nerites

Tiger Nerites
(some markings look more like tracks and some look more like dots. My guess would be the track looking ones are older than the dot marking ones.

Olive Nerites

I know a lot of people consider Ramshorns to be a pest, but i particularily would reccomend them.They most certainly arent boring and they are brightly colored. Through my experience they are good algae eaters,They can be a pest, though as they are hermaphrodites and can breed from any two specimens. From my experience they also have a tendancy to nibble on live plants.

-----
^This one is sold as a ramshorn commonly but is actually a type of Apple snail
Firefly_Dreamer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wild.One » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:55 am

How many nerite snails could I get for my 3 gal with my betta?
call me wild c:
Wild.One

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bolt1784 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:00 am

Wild.One wrote:How many nerite snails could I get for my 3 gal with my betta?

I think the rule is 1 snail per gallon, but it might be a bit too much for a 3 gallon since you have a betta in there too.
Maybe just one nerite snail to stay safe?
»
Bolt1784

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wild.One » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:50 am

Bolt1784 wrote:
Wild.One wrote:How many nerite snails could I get for my 3 gal with my betta?

I think the rule is 1 snail per gallon, but it might be a bit too much for a 3 gallon since you have a betta in there too.
Maybe just one nerite snail to stay safe?

Alright, thanks!
call me wild c:
Wild.One

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Equid Phantasm » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:07 pm

Thank you Spikester, I appreciate all the beautiful photos.

I'll keep looking at my Walmart and on Aquabid for some I can afford.

Time to go do some art.

Equid
Equid Phantasm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Turtle-Power » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:10 pm

Equid Phantasm wrote:Thank you Spikester, I appreciate all the beautiful photos.

Time to go do some art.

Equid

Also, dont put any snails in with the assasains... assassain snails get their name for killing other snails.

Correct me if im wrong but i think it was mentioned on here that they make holes in other snails shells. i would suggest moving the assassain snails to another tank before getting any other snails. I have a pleco and a nerite in my 55 gal and the nerite eats most of the algae while my pleco has a tendancy to eat the fish flakes instead.

~ ~ ~ ~ S M O O T H I E ~ ~ ~ ~

Turtle-Power

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Equid Phantasm » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:59 pm

Turtle-Power wrote:
Equid Phantasm wrote:Thank you Spikester, I appreciate all the beautiful photos.

Equid

Also, don't0 put any snails in with the assasains... assassain snails get their name for killing other snails.

Correct me if im wrong but i think it was mentioned on here that they make holes in other snails shells. i would suggest moving the assassain snails to another tank before getting any other snails. I have a pleco and a nerite in my 55 gal and the nerite eats most of the algae while my pleco has a tendency to eat the fish flakes instead.

Yes, I'm aware of Assassin snails. I only have 2 assassins and they are in a tank by themselves and get fed a few tiny brown pond snails occasionally or flakes. They do NOT do anything for the algae. You're right though, I have them in my only tank with gravel and they disappear quite well into the gravel. I assume they feed on snail egg casings as well.

Thanks for the information. Walmart has some snails, but they don't have a label, and as such, I believe they are apple snails, not ramshorn or the nerites shown. They are yellow and the shell is smooth and round like the ramshorn but not segemented.

Equid
Equid Phantasm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tekkai » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:58 pm

How many gallons is your tank? : Two 2 gallon cookie jars (temporary)
How many fish and what types are they? : One male betta in each
How long has it been running? : 15 minutes
Did you cycle it? : I added some gravel from one my healthy betta tanks,but other wise no.
If possible what are the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels? : NA
What is the issue or question? :

Help! Sorry really long story, I’m still really worked up. DX

I just got back from Walmart to pick up some things for the fish and I saw that they just got in a fresh order of bettas, so of course I went to go have a look. I saw one in the back laying down dead so I picked it up and it jumped, the poor baby didn’t have any water. I immediately rushed to the sink and started filling it up while I sent my brother to find help. An employee came to help and we put him in the Tupperware thing they had because his cup was leaking more than I was filling. While the employee was taking care of betta number one, I went back to look to see if everyone else was ok, and I found 2 more bettas (one male, one female). The female had about half an inch of water and the other had nothing like the first male I picked up. So of course I brought them to the sink.

The guy who was helping me genuinely seem to care about the fish. I have no doubt he is an awesome person, but he has no idea how to handle betta fish. He told me that a customer had ‘run into the shelf’ and he put the two females from before I arrived in together in an empty goldfish tank (Read: Cold). The fish with an inch of water was a female so I cringed when he put her in with them and hoped her the best of luck, but when he put the MALE BETTA in with the girls and then moved to put the other MALE BETTA in the same 5 gallon I broke down and said I’d buy the boys. The employee was kind enough to bag them, IN THE SAME BAG mind you. D: Like I said, I’m sure he meant the best, but I’m pretty sure my pulse hit the roof during those hectic ten minutes. D:

I needed some small hospital tanks for a rainy day, so we raced to the cooking section and bought each of the new boys a 2 gallon cookie jar and two one gallon QT tanks to have on hand. I wanted to get them little heaters but the only one they had was for 15+ gallons.

Thank goodness they didn’t start fighting until we got home. Of course I separated them into the little cups my other bettas came in and since I figured they’re in 100% new water anyway, I acclimated them and added them to their own (rinsed clean) 2 gallon cookie jars. I gave them some stress coat and gave them some Aquarium Salt which is labeled as a natural fish tonic and improves gill function. Is there anything else I can do? I’m so worried/stressed about these little babies. For all I know they could have been like that for hours. They seems ok for now and where really active on the way home so I think they have a fighting chance. I turned the lights out, I don’t want them to stress out any more than they already have been but I don’t know what else to do. :/ Help! T_T

I apologize for any errors or grammatical mistakes, I'm still in a tizzy. :(
tekkai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby flyteck » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:04 pm

Wow, that's quite the story o.o

The only other thing I think you could do is actually cover the tanks partially or carefully put some shelter (a flower pot or something) into the jars so they can hide/rest off of the bottom. That way when you go back in later (turn on lights) you won't stress them out too much. Maybe go in with a flashlight or something so they don't get spooked.
⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁
echjhmhehcghfghfgghhImage

Deviantart [most active]
toyhou.se
Lioden
I'm still on here, but I don't post much.
Feel free to message me if you'd like to
chat! Check my DA for commissions c;

✯ Check out my Webcomic!✯
⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁
flyteck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tekkai » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:09 pm

That's a great idea thank you, I actually have two little hideaways on hand. They don't have a bottom though but are great little hiding places. :/
tekkai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me