Welcome to Dox Dragon Adoptables!
What is a Dox Dragon?
A Dox Dragon is a dragonlike species of creature found in habitats all over the world, equal in intelligence to humans. They originated in the Himalayas, and the largest known colony in existence of them still lives there. They generally prefer to live in colder and higher areas, but sometimes they can even be found in places like the desert- it's all personal preference.
All Dox Dragons have wings, feathered tails, and some kind of markings or patterns on them. Their markings, colors and what they look like in general always are an outer reflection of their personality. You will never find a dark-colored Dox with a happy personality, and vice versa. The feathers on the end of their tail can be of any shape and size, as long as they're there. Without the feathers, a Dox Dragon can't fly and can quickly end up as prey to other predators.
There are three kinds of Dox Dragons- one-eared, two-eared, and three-eared. (The number tells how many sets of ears they have, not how many ears they have total. :3)
- Two-eared Doxes are the naturally-occurring kind of Dox, and are by far the most common, consisting of over 90% of the world's population. They don't really have any specific special traits to them- they're average in all aspects of the species.
- One-eared Doxes are a common genetic mutation. Doxes with only one set of ears are usually less serious and intelligent than those with more sets of ears. Also, because they use their ears for balance when the fly, one-eared Doxes aren't as good at flying, sometimes to the point of not being able to fly at all. It's more common for these guys to have bright, unnatural colors, due to their happy personalities.
-Three-eared Doxes are by far the rarest. They were genetically created by researchers only a few years ago, and are excellent at flying. These guys also tend to be bigger and faster than the others. When they were first created, there were only three of them (one of them being flurry); however, the other two quickly bred with each other,and there are more of them now, although they're extremely inbred and almost impossible to find. Whenever they breed with a Dox with a different amount of ears, the babies always have the ear type of the other Dox.
Doxes can be either wild or bonded. Doxes that live in the wild, and are so 'natural' range from the size of a cat to a great dane. If a Dox finds a human that they choose to trust with their life, or vice versa, they can form something called a bond with each other. Once bonded, the Dox will quickly grow to about the size of a draft horse or bigger, so that their bond can ride them. Their bond will also gain trust by the Dox Dragons in general, and will gain slightly better eyesight and hearing.
A dragon and a human become bonded when one willingly goes to their potential death, knowing and trusting that the other will rescue them. Traditionally, this involves the human leaping off of a ledge and the Dox coming down to rescue him or her, although with modern technology people have devised easier- and safer- ways. The more risk and trust put into the attempt, the stronger the bond.
If a Dox goes through something really traumatic, or their human bond dies, their colors will invert, and so will their personalities. They'll become the opposite of their previous self in every aspect, and will usually change their names. If they get seriously injured, they can sometimes go through a temporary inversion for a week or so before turning back. If a Dox Dragon becomes inverted while it is bonded, the bond will break, and the dragon will often end up killing its old human friend. However, they will retain their size. These are the only ways a bond can break- once a Dox Dragon is bonded, the bond slightly plays with both bonds' minds so that they never want to unbond with each other. Occasionally a person with dark purpose will manipulate a Dox Dragon into bonding with them, so that it becomes the human's bidding slave.
These dragons can breathe fire, which is always their eye color and isn't very strong. They can't breathe a plume of fire more than once a day, and only use it for self-defense in the most dire situations. One-eared Doxes can't breathe fire at all. However, Dox Dragons can use the same source of energy that they use for the fire and use it to warm themselves, creating a faint warm bubble around the dragon. This exhausts them a lot, though. Lighter-colored dragons can appear to glow when doing this.
Doxes are also complete herbivores, living on whatever edible things they can find except meat- this usually means fruit, although it can vary depending on where the Dox lives. However, they have sharp teeth and claws for defense. Their tongues, paw pads, and the inside of the ears are always the same color as the dragon's eyes (this color is usually the most representative of their personality). Their claws are always black or a darker color, and their fur and feathers can be any color as long as it displays their personality.
They have anywhere from two to six babies in a litter- one can occasionally be seen, but only with one-ear x one-ear or one-ear x three-ear. Typically, pairings with two common two-eared Doxes will have at least four children. One of the babies is always born inverted (similar markings but opposite colors from the parents), and is most often the baby with mutations (such as being wingless, one-eared, or otherwise different from the norm). The babies don't have tail feathers at first, but they start growing in at the beginning of teenhood and finish growing when they become an adult.
To adopt a Dox Dragon, I'm using the stereotypical adoption method. Click on the Dox you want, and either the artist or I will have the requirements needed to adopt it posted on the page. It'll usually be a form that requires a name, personality, etc. Some forms will be easier, requiring only a number or something simple like that. Usually, the easy forms will be for two-eared Doxes. One-eared or three-eared Doxes will always have a harder form.
Yup, now I'm allowing breeding, done on these amazing lines by loveTHATwolf. You can breed two of your own, or have one each from two different people (different genders, of course). The number of babies will be random, and I'll determine it. Each person who put a Dox up for breeding will get one pup each back from it, and the rest WILL go up for adoption.
NOTE- Flurry will never be bred, or have a mate. Don't think about asking!
N.A.Q. (Never Asked Questions)
Can I get a custom?
Friends-only! And 'friend' doesn't mean you caught me for five minutes on a livestream. If you're a friend, you probably know it.
Can I bribe the artist/make a contest that involves pet auctions?
Nope. These are free adoptables.
I made a great form and I didn't win!
It's the artist's personal preference. I'm sorry if you didn't win, try again and you might. :3
Can I make a Dox without wings/feathers (or anything else not described in the species)?
PM me about it first. I might allow it, I might not.
Can I make my own custom tail feathers for my Dox?
Sure! I only put four random ones up there. Just PM me about if it seems too crazy, please.
I had a Dox Dragon on the other lines... do I still own it? D:
Yes. ^^ If you'd like to color it in these lines, PM me and I'll add you.
I'm currently not looking for staff.
I'd prefer, at the moment, to have Dox artists either be friends or be relatively respected on the Oekaki (don't worry, you don't have to be a Picasso though).
- Make either a two- or one-eared Dox for themselves
- Design two- or one-eared Doxes and put them up for adoption
- Design three-eared Doxes with my PM'd permission and put them up for adoption
- Make their own lines to adopt Doxes off of
Artists are expected to....
- Keep the ratios of two- and one-eared Doxes relatively fair based on rarity
- Keep to the species guidelines
- Design a new Dox every once in a while
- Have two Doxes up for adoption at maximum
| / m o o n i \ |
The Purple Martian
(I'm not looking for any at the moment.)
- Design a two-eared Dox for themselves
- Help develop the species by PM-ing me ideas
- Be awesome and stuff
Mods are expected to....
- Report spam on the thread
- Look out for Doxes/forms that don't follow species guidelines, and report them to me
- Give warnings and bans if necessary
The Purple Martian
Gale of the east
Guest artists are currently not in action. Sorry! PM me if you're at an Intermediate design level or a close friend and maybe I'll let you design a few.
- Don't spam the thread too much. I don't want this locked.
- Don't make a form for one that makes it the sister/friend/whatever of somebody else's Dox without their permission.
- Don't steal the species. This should be pretty obvious.
- Don't complain if you lose.
- You can own up to three Dox Dragons; if you want to get rid of one, PM me and it will go back up for adoption.
- Artists, don't do breedings without my permission.
- Staff members who break rules themselves will be taken off the list; they are, however, able to apply again for a position when slots open.
- Please don't apply if you're not even going to post a complete sentence. There's no point.
- Have fun. c:
Thank you, air.! <3
- Code: Select all
By The Purple Martian
Jellybean dragon adopts are possibly the cutest things in existence. If you haven't already, you should go check them out. <3
Maylofts are an awesome new species created by momoply45. You should give them a look. ^^
Pudding Hoppers are the epicness. THEY ARE.