How to make your own Adoptables Site

Discuss your favorite websites, or advertise your own website/forum here

How to make your own Adoptables Site

Postby therougecat » Mon May 04, 2009 3:08 am

We all love adoptables sites. And we've all dreamed of making one. But how?

Just read this guide to find out!

DIRECTORY:

Chapter 1 - Decisions
Chapter 2 - Making the Site
Chapter 2.1 - Gather Materials
Chapter 2.2 - Non-Clickable Site
Chapter 2.3 - Clickable Site
Chapter 3 - Gathering Members
A Little Extra

~Chapter 1~
DECISIONS

To make a site, there are many decisions to make. This chapter will help you to decide.

What to name my site?

You might want a name that gets the point of your site across. Simple, quick, and to-the-point. Like Adopt-A-Wolf or WildCat Adoptions.
You might also want a name that is random, but catchy, and sounds cool when you say it. Like Mashed-Banana Adopts, PapayaPalace Adoptables, or even our very own ChickenSmoothie. Often these have to do with foods.
We are welcome to site name suggestions. :)

Clickable or Not?
Well, we all enjoy the fun of collecting clicks, competing for more clicks than others. But we also like a little relaxation, just watching the pet grow up on its own. Non-clickable sites are a little bit easier to make, but there is a popular pre-made PHP clickable adoptables code, PHP EasyAdoptables

What pets to put up for adoption?
Some sites (like CatAdopts and Pangolinz) are just based on one species. Others (Like CS and ASC) are a variety of adoptables. If your artistic talents lay in only one species, you might want to base your site off of only one species. Maybe you'll hire different people to draw different pets. I know there are plenty of people out there who would like to work for you + your site!

Which host?
I'm not the expert of hosts, but some good ones are Wetpaint, Webs, and Synthasite. Again, open to suggestions of more. Or you might just decide to buy your own site, so instead of being yoursite.webs.com, it'll be yoursite.com.

~Chapter 2~
MAKING THE SITE

To have a site, you need to make the site. Once you've decided all of the above things you need, get started.

-Chapter 2.1-
GATHER MATERIALS
You're going to need art to start your site. After drawing a bunch of pictures, or hiring someone to do art for your site, you'll need to upload them somewhere. Photobucket works best.
This will come into play later.

-Chapter 2.2-
NON-CLICKABLE SITE

Sometimes we all enjoy a break from frantically collecting clicks. We all like a little relaxation; sitting back and watching the pet grow up on its own. No clicks, levels, or hatcheries.

To make these, you'll need your site. Webs and Wetpaint work pretty good for a non-clickable site.
First, you need your site to look welcoming. You might want a mascot "talking" to the visitor on the homepage, or maybe a directory. Whatever you do, be creative and friendly!

What's an adoptables site without adoptions?
Create your adoptions page and place your pictures up, be sure to include your codes!

Now, get some members. This is talked about in Chapter 3.

To get your pets to grow, delete the current pet from Photobucket. (Yes, I said DELETE.) Now upload the older version of the pet WITH THE SAME FILE NAME.
Example:
The puppy version is bluepup.jpg
Delete the puppy from Photobucket.
Then upload the adlut version, also saved onto your computer as bluepup.jpg
The dog grows up, but to your users it seems like magic!

Then repeat the process to all the breeds.
Some adoptables sites have gotten really popular using this method!

-Chapter 2.3-
CLICKABLE SITES

Clickables are fun, right? Run around, advertise your pet, collect clicks, watch 'em grow! A never-ending contest!

Although these can be hard to program on your own, there IS a script out there that will let you make a clickable site!
It's called PHP EasyAdoptables. And it IS easy!

To make a clickables site, you need a host that supports PHP code and MySQL. I personally don't know of any that work REALLY well, because I just paid the money for my own domain, so my site supports basically anything. There was webhost00 or sumthin' that does support these, but the code works best when you buy your own domain.

~Chapter 3~

COLLECTING MEMBERS

You made your site so people can adopt, right? How can people adopt if there's nobody adopting? You'll need members!
To get members, advertise wherever you can. Most adoptables sites will have a special section of their forums to advertise. You'll probably get the most publicity when advertising here, on the Other Websites forum of CS!
Also, a good way to start is to tell all your friends about the site. I'm sure they'd be glad to join!

When members join your site they are looking to see these in your site:
    Good art
    A friendly site
    An easy-to-navigate layout
    Other Members to talk with

A little extra:

Sometimes members will want to chat with each other. Creating a forum will really help, you will probably want to use a free forum host like [url=forumotion.com/]ForuMotion[/url] or ProBoards.

I hope this guide really helps you when creating your adoptables website!

Cats are awesome. Because they're cats, and you can't change it. Now buzz off so I can read my new Warriors book in peace.
~therougecat

MY REQUESTS ARE CLOSED. Do not request me for art.
therougecat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: How to make your own Adoptables Site

Postby IndigoFeather » Mon May 04, 2009 4:33 am

I will be using wetpaint, because the php script for adoptable sites did not work for me when I entered the attatchment text into the sqr. It said ERROR and that I need to cut crap. ANd tahts a waste of my time, and if its doing that, it jsut proves that it woont work very well.

ANyways, I will be using wetpaint I guess, and with that. HOw would I be able to get the forum host you specified working on my site?

Please-and thanks-

~Indi
trying to get back into the game
please note, maximumride_123 lets me borrow her phone
IndigoFeather

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wolf'sflame » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:15 am

There's also a site made for adoption sites. It's called www.myadopts.com. Good guide too.
I usually write, draw, AND I am making a Video Game (And I'm studying for exams!) and I'm currently watching *unknown* so be patient when it comes to replying to an rp. I will get on it. K, thanks! Image
Wolf'sflame

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby evmspino » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:13 am

cool guide, thanks ;)

*Working on enhanced siggy*
If you want to know about a wondeful place to post your DC dragons, PM me
http://magistream.com/user/evmspino Epic creatures are epic
http://www.familiarelements.info/earith ... r=evmspino Help them grow too!
I made my avatar, if you want one in this style (or in any other one xD), PM me :3

evmspino

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LiveForever » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:54 am

Very helpful.

But I have a question :?

Do you know how to make like a my pets page to keep your pets in ? Because I was thinking of making a site :3
Image Image

LiveForever

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Excellus » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:46 am

Cheers for the tips!

Just an error in a link tho, for http://www.forumotion.com, it's what i use for my forum ;)
Excellus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Honeycat » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:24 pm

Thanks so much. You're super. I learned a lot and I am making my own site. Please don't be angry if its a bit similar to your site because I like it so much. I will Make big link that will go to your site on my page. My forum topics are nearly the same as yours. Is this ok?
I love www.chickensmoothie.com too much!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage[< by RDM] Image
ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageEaster egg hunt... Yay!

I am now Honeycat but I used to be klemi900 ^.^
ImageImage
Honeycat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AriannaXO » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:13 pm

Thank you so much :)
I really needed this :) The websites seem pretty cool ;)
Thanks again!
AriannaXO

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mitch » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:52 pm

I read your tutorial, it's great. I'm a pro-ish PHP coder, so I'll probably make my own adoptables script. :)
Mitch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby acciobadger » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:54 pm

This is very helpful, as I am currently wanting to make my own site but was stuck on the "growing" part.
Hello~
I'm acciobadger, but you may call me Wolfie. Most people do.
If you play FlightRising, all of my pet groups are open to trade for FR currency.
c:

acciobadger

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me