A "How to use the search function" Guide

For topics which don't fit anywhere else! Discuss the weather, your mood, hobbies and interests. Remember, keep it child-friendly :)

A "How to use the search function" Guide

Postby DaDwarf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:03 am

Hello all,

Have you ever needed that one thread, but couldn't find it? And then had to pm a different member to ask if they knew where to find it?
I've encountered this problem quite a few times (People pm'ing me asking where a certain thread is), and therefor i decided to make this guide.

This guide is a very simple to use step-by-step guide on how to exactly use the search function. If you have anything to add, feel free to post.

Index
1. The thread search function.
    - Where is it located?
    - How to use it!
2. The forum search function.
    - Where is it located?
    - How to use it!
3. The 'my posts' search function.
    - Where is it located?
    - How to use it!
4. The 'search posts' search function.
    - Where is it located?
    - How to use it!
5. The 'members' search function.
    - Where is it located?
    - How to use it!
6. The 'computer way' of searching.
    - How to use it!l
6. The 'mobile way' of searching.
    - And how to get to it!

I sent in a help ticket before making this guide, asking if it was oke to do. This is what i got back;

CS Help wrote:Sure, go ahead.

This reply was sent by Sorren Fey, a member of our Admin Assistants group.

1. The thread search function.
*Please note, you can also use this method to search in forums! The search function will be next to the new topic button!*

Where is it located?
When looking at a thread, the search function is located right next to the 'post reply' button.

How to use it!
Type in whatever you are searching for in this thread. I used the word 'hello'.
After you clicked search, you'll get this;
It shows results in order from newest to oldest. The word 'hello' only got 14 matches on the thread i was searching.

If you were searching for some more words and the search function didn't come up with what you needed, try adding more important words. For example;

I searched for the worth of the green dragon, on the worth thread. You can see that my result doesn't bring up much about the green dragon on the first page. There is only one post in 10 posts that actually has an answer on the green dragon question. click to see.

On page two, we already find allot more replies. It's our luck that this question only has 5 pages, in this topic, but sometimes it happens that you find 20+ pages of search results. In case that happens, try adding words to your search.

I added 'malk' to my already used 'green dragon'. this narrows down the search to just 3 pages, which are easier to search through! By adding or removing words, you can find the perfect combination to search for whatever you need.

And that's how you search on a thread.

2. The forum search function.

Where is it located?
Right above your log-out button.

How to use it!
When clicking the search button, you'll come to a whole new page dedicated to just searching. Click.

When you can't find something in the forum or thread, try using this function before asking people about it. You can be really specific with what exactly you want/need.

Place + in front of a word which must be found and - in front of a word which must not be found. Put a list of words separated by | into brackets if only one of the words must be found. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches.

This part is quite important. When searching, try to be specific but leave things out that you don't really need. When typing in "how much is this worth dragon" i get these results; Click. Not really specific.

Try doing it with "+worth *green +dragon -malk thread how". On the first page, you'll find the right topic. Sometimes you find your answer right on the first page, sometimes you'll have to search within the first 5 pages (Depends what you search and when it was last asked.). The biggest difference that this search function has compared to the thread one, is that this one will search in all threads, therefor will find the answer faster.

Forum searches are the best to use when you want to create a new topic. Try finding out if the topic was already made, before making yours! This saves mods allot of time!

You can specify your search even more on the forum search, Just experiment with all the options!

3. The 'my posts' search function.

Where is it located?

When looking at the 'my posts' page;
Right at the top, before the threads start.

How to use it!
Simply type in what you are searching for, It will find all topics you posted in containing that word.

For Example, i searched for 'green malk dragon' in my own posts and got this;
7 fair trade threads, and 3 worth threads.

4. The 'search posts' search function.
Where is it located?
When you go to someone's profile (Mine - click) you'll see this;
Simply click on "Search user’s posts" and you'll get a page that says;
With underneath all the posts they have made.

How to use it!
Simply type in what you are search for and it will pop-up C: This pops up post by post, and not thread by thread, but it works basically the same as searching your own posts.

5. The 'members' search function.
Where is it located?
Just above the logout button, there's a button called members;
This will take you to a whole list of all members on CS. Click the 'Find a member' button to go to the search.

How to use it!
Simply read carefully.

To match partial data use * as a wildcard.

You can search any members with this search option, by name, by join date, pretty much by anything.

When i search for the username 'DaDwarf' i get one hit (just me 8D)
When i search for the username "tabby" and add a * to it, i get 2 full pages of hits, filled with people who have Tabby in their name c: It's a neat little trick to find members this way.

This search works also for a few special characters, like '~' and '!'. So far, the only one i've found that doesn't work is '*' itself. There might be others, let me know if you found any c:

6. The 'computer way' of searching.
How to use it!

Internet Explorer; Ctrl + F
Firefox; Ctrl + F or Ctrl + G
Google Chrome; Ctrl + F
Mac; Command + F
Safari/Tablets; "Click the little search bar on the top right, then type what you want to find and click on the "on this page" option on the drop down box." OR "Type your search term in the Google search on the top right corner, then select "Search on this page"."

6. The 'Mobile' of searching.
And how to get to it!

Using the search function on a mobile can be very tricky, as there is no 'search' button above the logout button. There is now a direct search button on the main header bar 8D This should make mobile searching lots easier!

Still just in case:

Here is a quick link to the search page! Now of course, you don't always want to come to this guide to get to the link when you are on mobile. NickJr was kind enough to write out how else to get to the search function!

1) Go to "My Posts", then click "Return to advanced search" near the top of the page

2) Go to anyone's profile, click "Search user's posts", then click "Return to advanced search" near the top of the page.

Both these ways will bring you to the search page!

If you have any questions, be sure to check the FAQ before posting on this thread!
Last edited by DaDwarf on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DaDwarf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

FAQ

Postby DaDwarf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:04 am

FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions

I'm trying to find a post i've made on a certain thread, but i can't find it when i use the thread search function :/

Try using either the 'forum' search function, or the 'search posts' search function.

Forum search; Put topic title in 'Search for keywords' and put your username under 'Search for author' and click search.

'Search posts' search; go to your own profile, click 'Search user’s posts' and type the title or a word you used in your post and click search.

Still can't find it? Is your post perhaps on a topic posted in the global announcements forum! Those post are not search-able!

I want to see posts only made by me, how do i do that?

Very simple. Go to 'search', just above the log out button.

"Search for author:" - enter your own username.
Under search options; "Search within:" First post of topics only.

And hit search! This will show only the topics where you had the first post, the ones you created!
Last edited by DaDwarf on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaDwarf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: A "How to use the search function" Guide

Postby nickjr » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:54 am

Yay! Now I can just give people a link to this thread rather than having to type out how to search things! xD

And I learned something new, too O.O didn't know that I can use some of those symbols when searching!

Thanks, DaDwarf C:
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DaDwarf » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:44 pm

Most welcome xD

I just added another search function that i had forgotten about, the member's search function. I think i've got all included now, but if you find more or think something needs to be added, please let me know C:

~DD
DaDwarf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skye pie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:46 am

Thank you for posting such a useful article.

I'm still having trouble. How do you search for a list of all the past and present adoptable on Chicken Smoothie? I'm sorry but I'm a noob and I'm having trouble collecting :3

Any useful information would be greatly appreciated!
skye pie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DaDwarf » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:51 am

skye pie wrote:Thank you for posting such a useful article.

I'm still having trouble. How do you search for a list of all the past and present adoptable on Chicken Smoothie? I'm sorry but I'm a noob and I'm having trouble collecting :3

Any useful information would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think there is a list of every pet on the site. However, we do have the archives, which holds all pets of course. http://www.chickensmoothie.com/archive/ just click on a year to go to that year's pets C:
DaDwarf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ellies » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:19 am

Wow this is great ^^
It's really awesome how you put all this effort into making an amazing guide :)
Last edited by Ellies on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ellies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Abster127 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:54 pm

Thanks! You've really helped
Abster127

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby montyboy101 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:18 am

that is really useful! What a great guide you've made!
montyboy101

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me