In a not-too-distant future, humans have lost the ability to dream as a result of brain-damaging pollution. All children are born without the ability to dream, and seem to have no chance of developing it. Unfotunately for the dreamless humans, several corrupt government officials saw the situation as an opportunity to control the population, and funded the creation of a serum that restores the ability to dream. Though this government is controlling politically, it is important to note that the citizens still receive basic education, and those who have kept their rights are working members of society who earn money. Life is not good, but it is not completely dismal, either, as the government's main concern is its own internal power struggles. One of their most important concerns are those people who can no longer care for themselves due to the effects of the serum. They are taken care of by the government, because if they die their votes are lost.
This serum returns the ability to dream (and the added benefits of total dream recall, vivid dreams, and lucid dreaming), but any citizen who chooses to take it permanently loses their right to vote, and their votes count as the government decrees. Approximately 2/3 of adults who were once able to dream have chosen to take the serum, despite the fact that there are also a few possible side effects. The most fearsome is the fact that a small number of people are affected differently, having a continuous waking nightmare after taking the serum. Much more commonly, though, they become addicted to the pleasure that their dreams can offer in a world that is dying.
It has now been approximately twenty years since the creation of the serum, and many young adults who were born without the ability to dream, or who lost it when they were too young to remember, are turning eighteen and becoming eligible to take the serum and relinquish their right to vote. They have until their twenty-third birthday to decide, or lose both their chance at the serum and their right to vote. If they could change the system, it might be possible to clean the air and restore natural dreams, as well as save loved ones who have not yet decided their fate from the clutches of the serum. The choice is a difficult one: do they believe that they can gather forces with great enough numbers to usurp the government, or will the lure of dreams be stronger than a rebellion?
We will be roleplaying starting with a protest march that is being run, in a very disorganized manner, by NPCs. All of our characters should have some desire to join the rebellion, even if they are conflicted, and they are watching the march. Afterwards they will meet slowly and begin to discuss the happenings. From there, it's up to you. They can form one group, separate groups that work together, or some can even join the other side to take the serum.
- Follow all roleplay board rules as well as the forum rules. This includes no cursing, even if you star it out. Also, please do not decorate your roleplay posts with pictures, because this is considered spam.
- This is a high semi-literate roleplay. I expect at least one good paragraph per character, per post. Writer's block is not an excuse. If I think you are not literate enough, I will not accept you. I also expect posts to be in third person, and I do not care if you decorate them or not, but please head the post with the character's name. You may not post more than two pages without me.
- There are no reservations. Please PM forms to me to join this roleplay. I will approve them or deny them. If I approve, post on the thread. If I deny you, it's not personal. If a form is posted on the thread without my approval, it will be denied no matter what. I would prefer you use your own form, as this roleplay doesn't have a specialized form. If you do not have one to use, PM me and I can help you. Your form doesn't have to be incredibly detailed, and I will look at your posts. If you think I won't find anything there, feel free to link me to a better example when you PM your form.
- Only real pictures are allowed, and you may make either one or two characters. If you make two, they must be opposite genders. Characters should be between the ages of 18 - 22. There is only space for 5 males and 5 females. No exceptions.
- If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to PM me and ask them. I'm a lot nicer than these rules seem; I just want to make everything run smoothly. I hope to hear from you guys soon!