❀ || Plant Lovers

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

Re: ❀ || Plant Lovers

Postby kishu. » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:52 am

welcome! :3 i'm also partial to haworthia as i have a couple! they're pretty cute tbh
also i didnt realise that was what they were called but saguaro cacti are pretty, too!
i think they're pretty underrated but wild flowers are always very pretty!

thank you!! <3

aaaa that's nice!! i'm planning on getting haworthia's and a couple of other
    succulents. i'm also on planning on having them indoors, since i want to see them
    more often. i don't go outside that often and i'm afraid that i might forget
    to maintain them. ikr they're so gorgeous!! i really love how large they are.
    honestly, i'd love to see a tall one up close. i've seen lots of them when i went
    to arizona and i deeply fell in love with them. yes!! wildflowers are always
    pretty!! i like desert wildflowers, i think they're really adorable.

work in progress
kishu.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby madej » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:50 pm

i'm very new to taking care of succulents, i've tried in the past to take care of them but they'd die a week later because i bought sick ones by mistake. i purchased two new ones last october and they're all alive and doing well, which is surprising because of my luck in the past. my stalk on my one was overgrown and basically wouldn't grow any more leaves so i cut it and propagated the leaves today. i wouldn't call my self a pro or a beginner, maybe an amateur. i hope i can expand my plant ownership that is beyond succulents.

oh yeah i even named them. one is belinda and one is gerald. gerald's tips got eaten by my cat oops

also could i fill out my membership form thingy?
    username;; madej
    nickname;; you can really just call me leka
    favorite plants;; succulents, cacti, herbs, bonsai, exotic plants
████
△△△△
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
─── ℍ𝔼𝕐 ─────────────────
─────────────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
male △ adult △ libra △ gay △ albania
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
x─────┐

text text
text text
text text
text text
text text

└─────
──𝓽𝓱𝓮
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
i'm madej, i'm an exotic pet dad
i'm also an artist of all mediums
i'm wiccan and psychic in many
forms, and i love buzzfeed
unsolved. i'm always open to talk!
madej

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lesbian » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:37 pm

madej wrote:
    i'm very new to taking care of succulents, i've tried in the past to take care of them but they'd die a week later because i bought sick ones by mistake. i purchased two new ones last october and they're all alive and doing well, which is surprising because of my luck in the past. my stalk on my one was overgrown and basically wouldn't grow any more leaves so i cut it and propagated the leaves today. i wouldn't call my self a pro or a beginner, maybe an amateur. i hope i can expand my plant ownership that is beyond succulents.

oh yeah i even named them. one is belinda and one is gerald. gerald's tips got eaten by my cat oops

also could i fill out my membership form thingy?
    username;; madej
    nickname;; you can really just call me leka
    favorite plants;; succulents, cacti, herbs, bonsai, exotic plants

welcome leka! I've added you to the front page! :3
those are super cute names! I can relate to struggling
to learn to take care of them but once you figure it
out it is the most satisfying thing, I think I've got a good
idea of succulent care, the part I struggle with the most
is not watering enough and watering too much haha

---

which has me wondering,

what do you guys think is the most challenging part of plant ownership?
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
hàlo, is mise fineal! (hello, my name is fennel!)
i'm a queer artist from scotland, & i've been on
cs for 12 years now!! mainly here to collect tho
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
they/them • adhd (bad @ pms/trades) • lesbian
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
lesbian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby dibidibidis » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:41 pm

ahh i found my people :,>

I've been obsessed w/ succulents lately, haha. I've had three for quite a while now, but over spring break I ended up with,, two new terrariums (with a few plants each) and two new single plants :,>

My babies (+ some others) are all here, though I still have a couple who haven't made it on my IG (we had an overwatering issue when I had a miscommunication with family oof, some yellowed a bit, but are healing).

(this kid's my favorite right now; my perle von nuremberg <3)

lesbian wrote:what do you guys think is the most challenging part of plant ownership?

Honestly for me, it's not knowing when to stop impulse buying. xD
I pretty much only own succulents, and they're so expensive if you buy them individually, and I don't think I have the room to house over a hundred bulk ones. ^^;
I also build my own terrariums, so I'm constantly plagued with the fear of accidentally messing something up and hurting my plant babies. ;v;

--
Username: dibidibidis
Nickname{s}: dibs/dib/dibi/anything that makes sense really; I know some people find dibidibidis a headache :,D
Favourite plant: succulents (specifically echev and sedum), cacti, and air plants mainly <3
i love plants
you did well today, you worked hard
04.08.1990-12.18.2017

(previously G a i u s)
dibidibidis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lesbian » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:54 am

welcome!

super beautiful plants, dibs! I love the tillandsia, i got one last summer but forgot to water it unfortunately... t'challa is pretty as heck too! I think I may have a black prince echeveria too! when I get home I'm gonna try to get pics :3c

also I can totally relate to impulse buying more and more plants, all of my succulents are spread throughout my parent's house because I ran out of room in my bedroom, and its only gonna get worse when they start producing offsets haha

oh dang, I've tried to make terrariums in the past and they haven't worked well so it's definitely a concern, I hope you haven't had too many issues though!

(I'm not at home currently, but when I get home I'll add you to the first page! :3)
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
hàlo, is mise fineal! (hello, my name is fennel!)
i'm a queer artist from scotland, & i've been on
cs for 12 years now!! mainly here to collect tho
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
they/them • adhd (bad @ pms/trades) • lesbian
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
lesbian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

-

Postby cherubim » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:57 am

hi all! wowow I posted my membership form (I was previously crepuscular.) and just kinda... stalked for a while haha

@lesbian i saw you mentioned something about terrariums! i've been so tempted to create one, but was unsure as to how it would go - and i'd feel so bad if i killed all the plants. i'm already a notorious plant killer
        what part of it did you find didn't work?

also! question to everyone; what indoor plants (preferably hardy to frost/cold temps and low care) would you reccomend? i have had a few succulents but i always lose a few once it comes to winter because of the climate here. some come back, but it's like, hmmm.

i've actually been tempted to get a cacti or two for the simple fact they're just so hardy haha
x
x
x

┌──────────── (☀) ────────────┐
❝ 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐢 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐬𝐮𝐧𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 ❞
🕊 wren 🕊 they/she 🕊 sylvain's wife! 🕊
lover of birds, poetry, and fire emblem
take a gander at my writing

└──────────── (☀) ────────────┘
cherubim

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby dibidibidis » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:01 am

@lesbian -
The tilliandsia isn't actually mine; my account has a lot of photos of succulents I find around the city, so. xD
I am planning to get an (a few?) air plants though! Just waiting for one of my favorite shops to restock. <3

As for terrariums, they're doing well so far! I've been using activated charcoal/perlite/specialized cactus soil, so hopefully things continue to go well. Mine aren't too complicated, so. ;w;

@vogelbiene -
There are tons of guides online to making DIY terrariums, so I suggest taking a look at a few different sources! As long as you have all the materials needed, it shouldn't be too hard to get right.
There are 2-3 main components of a good terrarium; (cactus) soil, perlite/gravel, and activated carbon/charcoal!
Cactus soil is enriched with special nutrients for hardy plants (ie. cacti, succulents), so I always go out of my way to buy it instead of using normal soil.
An inch or so of gravel should be layered at the bottom of your container to ensure proper drainage (so the roots don't rot in water), unless you're using a flowerpot w/ a hole at the bottom. I go the extra step to use perlite, as it's porous/absorbent (and looks quite nice). I also mix some perlite into the soil!
Activated charcoal/carbon helps emoves bacteria that may rot the roots -- it's not 100% necessary (instead of activated charcoal you can add more gravel/perlite to the bottom), but highly suggested. If you're getting activated charcoal, make sure not to get the "flavored" kind -- they're used as beauty products, I believe? You can get pure activated charcoal at most pet supply shops.
Lastly, make sure your plant's roots aren't touching the bottom of the container -- that's where water will pool, and the roots will rot.
you did well today, you worked hard
04.08.1990-12.18.2017

(previously G a i u s)
dibidibidis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby madej » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:55 am

lesbian wrote:what do you guys think is the most challenging part of plant ownership?

honestly i feel the same way, i always overwater them by mistake. i believe succulents have to be watered once a week, but everywhere i look online it doesn’t give me a proper amount, always says “a good soak.” i also feel like they don’t get enough sunlight because i live in a state where we barely ever experience sunlight. i may have to invest in an artificial sunlight device thingy
████
△△△△
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
─── ℍ𝔼𝕐 ─────────────────
─────────────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
male △ adult △ libra △ gay △ albania
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
x─────┐

text text
text text
text text
text text
text text

└─────
──𝓽𝓱𝓮
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
i'm madej, i'm an exotic pet dad
i'm also an artist of all mediums
i'm wiccan and psychic in many
forms, and i love buzzfeed
unsolved. i'm always open to talk!
madej

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:51 am

Before...

And after! It looks a bit pitiful right now but everything is still tiny and sprouting :> I'm excited everything is in the ground. I have a few herbs and cacti and whatnot I need to pot though.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kishu. » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:07 am

i've gotten myself a spring cactus and a porcelain plant not too long ago!!
    sadly, i do not have any pictures of them so that i could share but..
    they're doing okay so far!! they're both kinda wounded, and i'm
    worried that their wounds will get worse in the future. my
    spring cactus has the worse wounds. the only thing that i can do
    is return it back to the store. sadly, when i got my spring
    cactus, i didn't look closely for any wounds. i wish i could
    go back but my mom is very busy, so is my dad. is there
    any tips on how i can heal a cactus's wounds? i'd appreciate
    some help!! ^^
work in progress
kishu.

My pets
My items