Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 500

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby yetzali » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:38 pm

LizardsAreLovely wrote:Today I made my biggest leap towards getting some aquatic friends, buying a fish tank! I'm consulting this thread as I'm curious on whether I should get live plants or fake plastic ones. I love the look of live plants but I'm worried that they will either die on me or make the tank a gross green color. So I was wondering if anyone with live plants in their tank could list some pros and cons about them or say if you prefer live or plastic plants. Thanks!

another thing to keep in mind is what type of fish you're planning on getting, as some will just eat your plants, it's mostly goldfish but there's a few other species that will too.

live plants
      pros:
      won't tear your fish's fins
      make a more natural environment
      absorb waste
      look a lot nicer

cons:
      they cost more to care for
      take a little more time to maintain
      could carry pests (if you want to, a good way to avoid that for sure is by dipping them before planting them in your aquarium or getting tissue cultured plants)
      decaying plant matter can rot, which will cause ammonia spikes

artificial plants
      pros:
      require minimal upkeep, easy to clean
      as they come from clean packages, parasites + diseases aren't likely
      cost a lot less and come in lots of different colors
      don't have any special requirements (temperature, ph, ferts, substrate, etc.)
      won't cause changes in your water parameters
      they can't die !
      fish won't eat them

cons:
      depending on the plants (if they're hard/sharp), they could end up tearing your fish's fins. silk plants are an option that will help prevent that from happening
      don't absorb nitrates
      won't hinder algae growth

all in all, with live plants, i don't think the cons should change your opinion too much, the pros outweigh them. minimal effort can prevent anything too bad from happening, like getting proper lighting, ferts, properly maintaining everything, etc. if you only use low-light plants, co2 doses aren't really necessary. liquid fertilisers and root tabs aren't expensive and they're quite easy to use.

if you go for live plants, i'd definitely recommend to research the type of plants you want before getting them, rather than just choosing what looks nice. there are a lot of nice looking low-light plants out there!

xImage
sarah
infj
she/they
pm me for dog pictures
yetzali

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DragonGamingGirl » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:00 am

Hi! I’m new to this thread and I needed some advice. I recently got a new betta fish named Fred yesterday. He ate just fine yesterday, and as of right now he’s in a large jar until his tank arrives. But today when I woke up to feed him, he took one pellet and then spat it out. He’s done this twice, and I’m unsure if he’s sick or not. If someone could give me some advice that would be great, also I’d prefer you pm me as I’m not likely to check back here. He’s been very active though, so maybe he’s just not hungry?
You laugh at us because we're different

|-/•Dragon•She/Her•Bisexual•Taken•|-/

╔═════════════╗

Hoi! Im Dragon,
I'm obsessed with PATD and
Undertale! I also
Like twenty one pilots and I
don't bite so feel
free to PM me or send me a
trade!
Adoption Center

╚═════════════╝

We laugh at you because you're all the same

DragonGamingGirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spiderfish » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:15 am

Opinions on corydoras living with a male betta?
Internet searches are giving me mixed opinions.

Thinking of getting a group (2 albinos & 2 Venezuela blacks) to live with my totally non-aggressive boy.
-wip-
-wip-
-wip-
spiderfish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:49 am

spiderfish wrote:

Thinking of getting a group (2 albinos & 2 Venezuela blacks) to live with my totally non-aggressive boy.

As usual when it comes to bettas and other fish, it's going to depend on the particular betta. Generally speaking corries are happy-go-lucky type fish who don't bother anyone and just do their own thing. They also live in the bottom while bettas generally are mid-top dwelling, so the two are unlikely to be on each others way. So if the betta is not aggressive towards other fish it could work.
The problem can sometimes be tank size, since I often see bettas in 5-10gal tanks, which I feel is not enough for average corries (seriously they can grow surprisingly large and thick bodied). Now there are some tiny corry species (hasborus, hastatus and some other that slips my mind) which could work well in 10gal. But the average bronze, peppered and so on, nope. Corries are also a group fish, so 2 of one species won't cut it and 6 or more would be ideal. Not sure if those two species would school together though... Some Albinos are C. aeneus and I think some black corries are sold as color morph of aeneus as well, so technically they could be same species and school together? Though Planetcatfish says black ones are C. schultzei, which is similar but not totally same as aeneus. So technically as green neons and neons school, two similar corries might school together as well. The black corries have me confused with the different labels used in trade. : P Anyway, corries are happier in numbers that was the point. So yeah, space can be an issue when it comes to keeping corries with betta. Some corries also prefer little cooler water, say under 25C and to most 25-26 is the upper limit. Sterbais and coppers I think are the most heat tolerant of the common corries available. So with betta usually (at least around me) the lowest recommendation for temp is around that 25C, so that could be an issue for the corries.

So in all that rambling: 1) if you have suitable tank size, 2) if you select corry species that suit the temperature requirement of a betta and 3) if your betta tolerates tank mates, there's no major reason why you couldn't keep corries with a betta.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yetzali » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:57 pm

spiderfish wrote:

i agree with everything hime said, if you've got the tank set up to be adequate for both of them, it all comes down to the individual betta's personality. my experience with housing a betta + corydoras together didn't go so well, he ripped their barbels off and then killed them, but others can/have done the same thing successfully.
xImage
sarah
infj
she/they
pm me for dog pictures
yetzali

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:23 pm

Username: Spearow
How many fish tanks do you have: 2, one currently unoccupied.
Types of fish that you have: I only keep betta fish, I have only ever bought females since they are often overlooked. (: I have one cambodian crowntail female right now, my other one recently passed suddenly (and no they were not in the same tank she was just older).
Your fishs' names: Priscilla, the one that passed was named Petra.
How long have you had fish: I have had Priscilla for about three years now. ^^

I thought I would post a member form even though the OP hasn't been updated for like 2 years. xD Hello everyone. ^^
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
❥ Trade me?
xxstatus: tired
x x
xxtradesisolistoAuction
xx➵ Looking for wishlist!
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Valac » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Thank you to everyone who responded to my previous plant question. After reading over everything I have decided I want to get real plants. I didn't mention this earlier but will the fact that the plants will be getting pretty much zero sunlight be a problem? I'm getting a pet that likes it darker so i'm a tad worried they won't be able to survive. The only light it will really get will be from the light on my aquarium.

Returning player. Not sure whats going on anymore
Valac

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:38 pm

LizardsAreLovely wrote:Thank you to everyone who responded to my previous plant question. After reading over everything I have decided I want to get real plants. I didn't mention this earlier but will the fact that the plants will be getting pretty much zero sunlight be a problem? I'm getting a pet that likes it darker so i'm a tad worried they won't be able to survive. The only light it will really get will be from the light on my aquarium.

In my experience they don’t really need light, and in stores the tanks are usually off in a dark corned w/o a window. I think you should he good, but maybe get a second opinion. (:
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
❥ Trade me?
xxstatus: tired
x x
xxtradesisolistoAuction
xx➵ Looking for wishlist!
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:39 pm

LizardsAreLovely wrote:Thank you to everyone who responded to my previous plant question. After reading over everything I have decided I want to get real plants. I didn't mention this earlier but will the fact that the plants will be getting pretty much zero sunlight be a problem? I'm getting a pet that likes it darker so i'm a tad worried they won't be able to survive. The only light it will really get will be from the light on my aquarium.

It's advised to keep tanks away from direct sunlight as it's too much and you could end up with algae problems. So aquarium lights will be fine but it does depend on how bright they are. Most easy, low light plants will be fine with anything but if they're not going to be on for very long or will be very dim they might grow slowly or die.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:40 am

Does anyone here breed guppies? I have a male and a female as well as my brother having a ton of different guppies and I want to breed some of my own fancies.
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups