Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Yorkipoo Hudson » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:40 am

I have riding lessons every wednesday
I ride a cute horse called Duke :D
Yorkipoo Hudson

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Livid-Silver » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:11 pm

@Ryukrem; If you do have to quiet riding, you could always look into driving :) There's heaps of stuff to do in that, from dressage to marathons and combined driving! Take a look at Boyd Exell if you're not sure what I'm taking about. I really hope you don't have to quit riding, but if the worst comes to worst there are plenty of other things you can do with horses. Don't let your condition stop you from doing what you love :)

@Soul of Winter; Oh yes I don't doubt he is 3 1/2 lol I just wasn't sure whether you meant him or the Jenny :) He might just be a late bloomer, he should bulk come spring. Reggie has only just lost his 3-3 1/2 year old teeth like last week (and I know his exact foaling date, so there is no mistake on his age), so they can certainly take their time :lol:

@labradoodle123; Excellent work! Hope your pony got some extra special treatment and a super yummy feed after such a good performance!

@Rainbowhorse77; I'd be inclined to go with a dressage whip or something similar instead of spurs- they are more useful when you want to start refining your laterals. You might find he'll just eventually ignore the spurs and then you've lost the back up for your lateral movements. If you are really set on spurs, I'd look at a small set of either roller ball spurs or prince of wales spurs. They are probably as 'soft' as you can get, but any spur is going to hurt if you use it carelessly/hard enough.
Livid-Silver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Albino_ » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:47 am

Livid-Silver wrote:
@Soul of Winter; Oh yes I don't doubt he is 3 1/2 lol I just wasn't sure whether you meant him or the Jenny :) He might just be a late bloomer, he should bulk come spring. Reggie has only just lost his 3-3 1/2 year old teeth like last week (and I know his exact foaling date, so there is no mistake on his age), so they can certainly take their time :lol:

Yeah, he came to my god mother from the kill pen, all skinny when he was not even a year old, his tail was also broken, :/ he was all skin and bones and he surprisingly puts weight on fast! Haha. We are gonna show this year,
Albino_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby warmblood » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:03 pm

does anyone know of some really soft, preferably affordable spurs?
warmblood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:53 pm

pills wrote:does anyone know of some really soft, preferably affordable spurs?

why? and for what? what level are you at?
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby catlexie28 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:56 pm

My horse was bit by a snake the other day... now we only have my dads and sisters but yeah i still ride xx
hey guys im cat you can call me either one lexie or cat but i dont care :3 im a little bit picky new etc :)

Pet's name: mistle
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!

note to mods: Darkbae21 and i are sisters and she normally goes on my account to adopt for me and help me
catlexie28

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:51 am

I'm so so so so soso so sso os o o ososo oso sos s Exited.
I am FINALLY starting lessons again like wowowowow Yasss
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby northy. » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:36 am

i see a lot of people ask about spurs on here, many being for the wrong reasons of trying to make a horse more forward.
i've sent this video to several people in the past but this may be a possible training method to try and get your horse more forward?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have never been into daily vloggers, and honestly, i only watch one horse channel consistently, but i stared watching Day by Day in the past couple of day, anyone else watch them? i like how exciting it is that they're looking for a horse and a farm (: something i wish i could do, but places with more than an acre near me are hard to find and megabucks! my family are currently looking at a house which is literally next door to a pretty big private yard!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i rode at the weekend, i was on a horse i hadn't ridden before called river. it was completely by chance that i rode her since i had to switch lessons. she is lovely on the ground and oh man is she amazing under saddle as well, i loved the lesson so much! we basically did a flat course with poles just for turning exercises and such. i have a pic that's quality is so bad i don't even have to blur anything out haha. i was really far away and it was a bit dark.

this picture was taken either as i was dismounting, or as i was giving her a hug. how often to you hug or give your horse a scratch/encouragement when riding? i'm a bit of a softy and am usually the only one in my lessons who give the horse a big ol' neck scratch after every little trot haha. I was giving her lots of praise after our turns and pole courses, she was great, we work so well together! we hit the middle of all the pole apart from one which we missed due to my bad memory and some last minute turning,
plus not using as much of the school as i could have, she was great tho, star of the show!
northy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby raven queen. » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:05 am

Luzien wrote:@ callum hunt
romeo sounds interesting, and i love that you got an older horse,not many do this what is sad...., they still can give so much an teach one without being to crazy like young horses, and they deserve a loving home till the end too :D :clap:
and it is nice that you Train him to new things, and try to get out some bad things like the dancing around^^
how does it go in the training, does he learn fast?

honestly I'm surprised that older horses aren't more commonly adopted, esp for beginners. My aunt bought a green horse for my cousin who has mobility impairments and who was a beginner, which luckily worked out, but still. That being said, I only ended up getting the old man because he was a family friends horse who they were selling because he couldn't be shown. He rarely acts his age though-about 25% of the time hes a very relaxed beginner's horse, but the other 75% he's a wild child. The only age related difficulty he has is his hind legs go lame all the time because he tends to play hard on old man joints.
      As far as training goes, it depends. He catches on pretty fast, but he gets frustrated easily so I often have to take a step back and go back a few steps even though he knows the behavior. So hes a fast learner, but we often have to go back and restart because he's easily annoyed.
Livid-Silver wrote:@callum hunt; Your boy is really pretty! Targeting can be so helpful as well, you can mold heaps of cool behaviors out of it!

thank you! and you definitely can! I've gotten him to do a lot of things with a target already-a big accomplishment was getting him to cross puddles and come when hes called. Its a really underrated training tool in all animals imo.
ryan ross. wrote:
this picture was taken either as i was dismounting, or as i was giving her a hug. how often to you hug or give your horse a scratch/encouragement when riding? i'm a bit of a softy and am usually the only one in my lessons who give the horse a big ol' neck scratch after every little trot haha. I was giving her lots of praise after our turns and pole courses, she was great, we work so well together! we hit the middle of all the pole apart from one which we missed due to my bad memory and some last minute turning,
plus not using as much of the school as i could have, she was great tho, star of the show!

to answer your question, I use treats a lot while riding. I rarely hug him though because my western saddle has a huge horn on it which doesn't feel good when hugging him or riding out a spook/zoomie/buck. I get made fun of for the treats a little bit but luckily for me my cousin also spends the whole lesson talking to her horse and petting em so I'm not the lone rider doing that.
┌─────────┐

Imagex

└─────────┘
┌─────────────────┐

jinx . she / they . lesbian . infp
leo sun . cancer rising . aries moon
dragon age . tomb raider . critical role
florence welch . dnd

flight rising | ©
x

└─────────────────┘
┌─┐

└─┘
raven queen.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 4V0C4D0 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:22 am

Wow. Another crazy vegan onto me for saying that using whips and spurs is a-okay.
So, where most equestrians whip the horse— it’s usually not in its sensitive parts, right? I know the racing industry uses whips and spurs a lot, and I’m against over use, but not against use. Is that REASONABLE or what??

I should say, though, the vegan's arguments were really good and, unlike the other time, they actually challenged me :lol:
Last edited by 4V0C4D0 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
4V0C4D0

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me