Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby kivr & fireflii » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:08 pm

sixx. wrote:is there anyway to increase the humidity? i don't want him to be in a bad environment. i don't know the temp/humidity because i just ordered the thermometer for his tank that you had recommended, and don't currently have one. what should i do bout the scales/eye cap?

also, yes here is the set up at the moment (please keep in mind im a new snake owner, and i'm still trying to get the ropes of how everything works and what i need to do for him!):

one
two
three

any suggestions on what i need, and what will help with this would be lovely. i'm really trying my best to provide him with a good home. i really care about him.

No worries, I understand. :) We all start somewhere; just one step at a time. Yes, there are a few ways to increase humidity.

1. Bigger water bowl. Humidity is the moisture in the air, so a bigger water surface = more water evaporation = more humidity. It may help a bit, not necessarily worth doing if you need to increase humidity quite a bit.
2. Add damp sphagnum moss. Sphagnum moss is good at holding moisture (you want it damp, but not dripping) and it can help raise humidity if you spread it around the enclosure. However, it will eventually dry out from heat lamps/CHE/etc. so it might have to replaced every so often between deep cleaning.
3. Create a humid hide. Good option. It's basically an enclosed hide (except opening to come/go) with sphagnum moss to create a micro-habitat rather than making the entire enclosure humid (which isn't bad either way).
4. Humidifier. Not recommended, often creates excess moisture, not only raising the humidity, but also making the environment wet (where the former is the goal, but not the latter).
5. Misting. Usually the go-to for new keepers, but it's more like a band aid since the humidity--long run--isn't being raised (and it makes the environment wet).
6. Change substrate. Probably one of the best methods long term and overall. Some substrates are better at holding moisture than others.

My personal recommendation to you is to switch substrates. Aspen, what you currently have, doesn't hold moisture well, and it can actually mold if it gets too wet for long periods of time. Reptichip is my recommendation, although there are many options out there (which have their pros/cons). All you really need is a large tub or container to hold it. It seems a bit pricey up front ($26 on amazon), but it expands a lot more than you think. Here's a gif of some pictures I took of mine, comparing a dry block to a broken down one and a broken down block to aspen. The aspen I got for about $12 on petsmart/petco, the reptichip I got from a reptile expo--two for $30.

The damaged scales will eventually heal on their own, although it will take awhile (there may be something else you can do to help, but I'd like to ask a friend of mine first before mentioning it since I'm not 100% confident if what I'm thinking is appropriate for this situation). My first snake also got a bit of a head injury due to me trying to pull him out from under something (but it's usually a sign of something from with husbandry). I've had him for about two and a half years now, and while it's mostly healed, you can still see a bit of a scar (when I noticed his head injury, more recent picture--in deep shed though). For the eye cap, you can try a sauna. Basically the idea is to make a super humid environment and see if the snake can shed it off themselves. There's a guide here. If that doesn't work, you can dip a cotton swab in some warm water and GENTLY rub it over his eye (or hold it on/near his head and see if he'll rub it himself). If you're having trouble after awhile, you can put him back and try again in a few days so you don't stress him out too much.

As a side note, whenever he's too big for that enclosure and your'e ready to upgrade, I'd recommend an enclosure that's more long than it is high. :) It's fine to give your ball python opportunity to climb (good enrichment actually!), but they're terrestrial so they benefit more from being able to stretch out than to climb.
-fireflii
kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:11 pm

sixx. wrote:
    so i fed my snake yesterday and now he this white thing in the corner of his eye. i don't feed him live mice. i thaw them out for him by leaving them near his heat lamp. he also feels kind of dry, and has like some weird marks on his head. i'm really worried and i feel so stressed out about this. we don't have the money for a vet, i don't know what to do. he always has water, and i change it out, so it's not like he doesn't have water. i turn his heat lamp off at night so i can sleep as well, so his lamp isn't on all day either.
    here are pictures to show what i mean:

one
    two

is he just going into shed? he shed probably a month or so ago. i just really need some peace of mind about this.

It would help if you went over his set up- is he in a tank or a tub? what kind of top? temps? humidity?
I'm assuming you're using a tank since you said you're using a heat lamp, and the white near his eye looks like stuck eye caps. Either that or he might be going into shed. I'd suggest upping the humidity and switching to a heat mat or tape, as heat lamps are not an appropriate heating source for a ball python. Doesn't look like an issue that would require a vet though, however if you're not maintaining proper humidity i the long run it can require a vet
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:54 pm

maninkari wrote:Image

He's helping me with my homework, lol. I'm getting him sexed tomorrow, I'll let y'all know if he's a male or a female.

She's a female, woop. I love my snake, she's the best.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Violently Violet » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:04 pm

Violently Violet wrote:Hey, so recently my garter snake died of unknown reasons, and I'm looking to maybe get another in spring.

I would feed them a combination of fish (minnows and guppies, stay away from goldfish) and worms (store-bought nightcrawlers and maybe some hand caught ones).

I have a few questions:
-I read I need to supplement an all-fish-and-worm diet because they aren't eating mice. What can I buy to supplement it?
-Will store-bought nightcrawlers (the kind used for fishing) carry parasites? Is that why my other garter died? He didn't display any symptoms..
-Would a captive bred garter be able to eat wild-caught worms? I'd think their immune system might not handle it, and then there's the risk of parasites..
-How can I avoid parasites in my worms?

Thank you!

Not urgent, but would still like help.

Also, anyone know the best place to purchase garter snakes?
Violently Violet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby voe » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:38 am

I'm so happy, first baby to hatch on my birthday :D
'Darien' he/they femboy & collector of leopard geckos
AKA Nynecho, Gef, Atomsk, Glamrock Freddy, Elfo, Mula
voe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:24 am

Nynecho wrote:I'm so happy, first baby to hatch on my birthday :D

Oh gosh !! They look so adorable!

herpetology | aquascaping | entomology
xxxxthey/them | artist | ecologist

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX❞ ❞
xxHeyo I'm Ven. I like reptiles and fish. Currently in college pursuing
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby voe » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:25 am

vencrypt wrote:
[img]snip[img]

Thank you! He was incubated for male but we’ll see what happens :)
voe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vencrypt » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:48 am

Nynecho wrote:
vencrypt wrote:
[img]snip[img]

Thank you! He was incubated for male but we’ll see what happens :)

That's awesome! What morph is it? I'm still trying to learn morphs so I'm not sure !

herpetology | aquascaping | entomology
xxxxthey/them | artist | ecologist

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX❞ ❞
xxHeyo I'm Ven. I like reptiles and fish. Currently in college pursuing
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby voe » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:09 am

vencrypt wrote:That's awesome! What morph is it? I'm still trying to learn morphs so I'm not sure !

I believe he's a mack snow albino, I'll know for sure after he's shed in a couple days.
His brother I believe is a super snow albino eclipse, aka super raptor.
voe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Starling. » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:56 am

Does anyone know of any western hognose breeders on the East coast of the US? I'm looking for one and have checked all my local rescues with no luck.
Random trades are ALWAYS welcome! ;)

.Starling.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me