Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Cetacea » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:51 am

boston wrote:
darrow wrote:
Hi, I was desperately searching for this thread aha, I knew it existed, but I really need someones personal advice.
So basically, at my siblings school, they had to make a terrarium/ aquarium and my sister's group had a betta fish, and at the end of the project she took the fish home since nobody wanted it, and literally forced it on me, since i already have a betta fish. But the worst part of it was that A) I have no place to put this fish (It's temporarily in a 1 gallon old vase I found, which I know is not good) B) It's dorsal fin is split right down the middle, it's a halfmoon (I believe), and the poor thing is struggling to swim with it. There was no decor in the small bowl she brought home so it looks like some kid literally pulled on it and split it? I don't know how to treat it, and I know they should heal by themselves, but it's not in the best conditions and I need to know if there are any steps I can take to get it better? I've never had a torn fin before.

A torn fin should heal on its own, it is much quicker with a filtered tank with a heater.
The best option to do is make sure the water is clean and the parameters are well since it’s temporarily in a vase. c:

Ah thank you, I recently just put him in a 3.5 filtered tank, and I'm keeping a close watch on him.
Cetacea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MapleNeko » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:12 am

darrow wrote:
boston wrote:
darrow wrote:
-snip-

-snip-

Ah thank you, I recently just put him in a 3.5 filtered tank, and I'm keeping a close watch on him.

Thats perfect that you already have him in a slightly larger tank, heat and clean water is all he'll need to thrive, since split fins are technically an open wound a little aquarium salt and melafix can always be used to keep the water a bit more sterile for him while it heals up, other than that their tough little fish so he'll be fine :D
╔════════════════════════════════╗
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

Hey there! my names Mapleneko and im your typical Uni student <3 I absolutely adore animals with anything aquatic, feathered or feline being my favorite! I'm an Axolotl mom and breeder so please feel free to msg me if you want to know more about the silly critters.
Entomology Minor (bugs are life)
the anime is Akatsuki no Yona btw!

╚═══════════════════════════════╝
MapleNeko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:28 am

I'm in the process of setting up my first aquarium and will be using black sand as substrate and be planting a few low light plants. Does anyone have any recommendations for hoods or lights for a 10g aquarium?
Also, when people say they spot clean with a turkey baster, do they seriously mean a real turkey baster? I've heard that gravel vaccuums don't work well with sand?
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fluffycat6 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:19 pm

control wrote:I'm in the process of setting up my first aquarium and will be using black sand as substrate and be planting a few low light plants. Does anyone have any recommendations for hoods or lights for a 10g aquarium?
Also, when people say they spot clean with a turkey baster, do they seriously mean a real turkey baster? I've heard that gravel vaccuums don't work well with sand?

Yeah literally a turkey baster, just make sure it’s new and hasn’t been used for cooking :lol: In my experience gravel vacuums work fine with sand because the sand is usually heavy enough to sink back down, but I don’t usually use them on 10 gallons because they kind of make a whirlpool that tosses the fish around, so I use a bucket to scoop water out.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:08 pm

Snail update! They are getting bigger. I love how you can see the trails on the back of the tank. I am still planning on getting an apple/mystery snail as I like both big and small guys
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Valac » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:46 pm

Today I made my biggest leap towards getting some aquatic friends, buying a fish tank! I'm consulting this thread as I'm curious on whether I should get live plants or fake plastic ones. I love the look of live plants but I'm worried that they will either die on me or make the tank a gross green color. So I was wondering if anyone with live plants in their tank could list some pros and cons about them or say if you prefer live or plastic plants. Thanks!

Returning player. Not sure whats going on anymore
Valac

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:31 pm

control wrote:I'm in the process of setting up my first aquarium and will be using black sand as substrate and be planting a few low light plants. Does anyone have any recommendations for hoods or lights for a 10g aquarium?

Don't really have any good light recommendations, but if you have the budjet I think LEDs are the way to go these days (and the prices are coming down as well). Though keep in mind there are bad ones and good ones out there. Like I think one person got halfmoon tank by Tetra and the small LED lamp it came with was just lousy and the tank looked barely light up. Basically no plant would grown in it either.
lol Never heard people using turkey baster to clean up their tank bottom, but why not just sounds kinda slow unless you literally have only one small spot where the poop/dirt collects at. I do use gravel vaccuum/siphon on my sand bottom tank. I think they even make like nano tank versions of siphons these days, so if you feel like normal size one is too big for 10gal then maybe try look for nano one. The key in siphoning a sand bottom tank is that you don't stick the gravel vaccuum in the sand like you do with gravel. Instead you just hover it over the sand so that the surface just stirs up a little bit and all the possible junk gets sucked up. Or like, sure you can stick it into the sand but then you need to watch out that you don't end up sucking up the sand all the way to the hose and into your bucket etc. Sometimes if you feel like the sand might be getting clogged up, simply stir it with a finger or stick or something gently and then go over with gravel vaccuum to suck up any dirt that may have floated up.

LizardsAreLovely wrote:Today I made my biggest leap towards getting some aquatic friends, buying a fish tank! I'm consulting this thread as I'm curious on whether I should get live plants or fake plastic ones. I love the look of live plants but I'm worried that they will either die on me or make the tank a gross green color. So I was wondering if anyone with live plants in their tank could list some pros and cons about them or say if you prefer live or plastic plants. Thanks!

Welcome to the hobby. :) What size of tank did you get?
I'm all for live plants all the way if you have suitable setting for them (and fish that won't rip/eat them) and willing to put the possible extra work in keeping them happy. Sometimes you can just stick plants in a tank and they grow great and you don't have any algae issues, but usually some fertilizers are needed and depending on plants you want to keep CO2 and stronger lights. I'm not really sure what you mean by making the tank look gross green, if you mean algae that can happen without plants as well and if you mean the plants over crowd your tank then that's up to you to keep the jungle tamed. lol Sometimes tanks can also look more green due to the color of the lights. Lights have different color spectrums, so some will make the green pop while others bring out the red and blue tones more.

Pros: -Look nicer than plastic (imo)
-Won't harm your fish (hard plastic ones sometimes can)
-Eat up nitrogen compounds, mostly ammonia and nitrate. So in the beginning when your cycle (hope you have read about cycling already) might be still little unstable, they help keeping the water safer for the fish and then after cycle is set they eat up nitrates.
-Take up resources from algae, so well growing plants out compete algae

Cons: -Extra care steps might be needed (fertilizers, trimming the plants occasionally)
-You need to find the right balance with fertilizers to avoid algae (though you can still have algae problems without ferts and live plants so this one kinda goes both ways)
-Depeding on the plants you want you might need to invest in CO2 and good lights (but if you aren't too picky then there's always plants that can work for each tank)
-Sometimes you just have to go through trial and error when picking out plant species (swords for example are said to be really easy to grow, but for the life of me they won't grow in my tank)

So basically as plants are living things you might need to do little research on their care, just like you need to do with fish, to make them thrive or you can go by trial and error. But there are lot of benefits from plants and I do prefer the more natural look for my tank, so I think it's worth the extra efford. :)
Speaking of plants... So I made my tank go no-fish plants only about a moth ago. For first week or two I think it run well with the fert dosing I calculated. Buuut recently when my mom sent me a pic of one of the trumpet snails sitting on a leaf I noticed there was some algae on the plants. Then when I talked to her and asked her to send me more pics, there's a freaking bunch of hair algae and some other algae I'm not 100% sure what (green-ish, makes leaves look blurry and messy). D: I've never had either of those, so this sucks majorly I've had some green spot algae and black beard algae in the past, and they haven't been that big a problem. But now it looks like a mess in my tank and I can't do anything about it as I'm not home(and won't be for months). ;_; I did get a Nerite snail (well two actually, but the other seemed to have died either on way home or it was dead when I bought it, hard to say) to eat up the green spot I had going on, but I doubt one Nerite and 5 or so tiny trumpets can tackle the current algae situation in 128 liter tank. On good side the plants had grown really well, better than I had expected on some parts. But I'm worried I might end up loosing my Hygrophilas due the algae. Lotus plants were doing okay at least and seemed pretty algae free...
So I told my mom to cut down on the ferts some and add some Easy-Carbo. Crossing my fingers that works as she doesn't know how to othervise care for the tank (like do water changes etc.) and teaching how to do things over phone is really not that easy...
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Enacra » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:50 pm

Speaking of plants... So I made my tank go no-fish plants only about a moth ago. For first week or two I think it run well with the fert dosing I calculated. Buuut recently when my mom sent me a pic of one of the trumpet snails sitting on a leaf I noticed there was some algae on the plants. Then when I talked to her and asked her to send me more pics, there's a freaking bunch of hair algae and some other algae I'm not 100% sure what (green-ish, makes leaves look blurry and messy). D: I've never had either of those, so this sucks majorly I've had some green spot algae and black beard algae in the past, and they haven't been that big a problem. But now it looks like a mess in my tank and I can't do anything about it as I'm not home(and won't be for months). ;_; I did get a Nerite snail (well two actually, but the other seemed to have died either on way home or it was dead when I bought it, hard to say) to eat up the green spot I had going on, but I doubt one Nerite and 5 or so tiny trumpets can tackle the current algae situation in 128 liter tank. On good side the plants had grown really well, better than I had expected on some parts. But I'm worried I might end up loosing my Hygrophilas due the algae. Lotus plants were doing okay at least and seemed pretty algae free...
So I told my mom to cut down on the ferts some and add some Easy-Carbo. Crossing my fingers that works as she doesn't know how to othervise care for the tank (like do water changes etc.) and teaching how to do things over phone is really not that easy..

I have heard rumours that you can rinse your "infected" plants by dipping them in bleach, from 10 seconds to several minutes. this will burn the algae and eventually the algae will die and its easy to brush them off with a sponge. I have never tried it myself. Try out with a plant you dont like very much anyway, so it wont be a tragedy if it dies. If it works well, just do it with every single plant, and do major waterchanges. I hope this helps!
Enacra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Enacra » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:53 pm

Snowlondon wrote:Username: Snowlondon
How many fish tanks do you have: Just one
Types of fish that you have: Orange mollies, dwarf neon rainbowfish, blue neon show guppies, and dragon head guppies. (All small fish.)
Your fish's names: Oden, Loki, Freyr, Freyja, Tyr, and Triton. (We love mythology.)
How long have you had fish: Only since late December of last year.

Tank:
The orange one is Oden, and the shiny ones are Freyr and Freyja. The small one to the far right is Mr. Glowy, and sadly no longer with us.
:what: :clap: Awesome tank! I really love it! Im so sad for Mr. Glowy ;-;
Enacra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:23 pm

We put some broccoli in for the pleco yesterday. Found this a few hours later.

LizardsAreLovely wrote:Today I made my biggest leap towards getting some aquatic friends, buying a fish tank! I'm consulting this thread as I'm curious on whether I should get live plants or fake plastic ones. I love the look of live plants but I'm worried that they will either die on me or make the tank a gross green color. So I was wondering if anyone with live plants in their tank could list some pros and cons about them or say if you prefer live or plastic plants. Thanks!

In our experience plants are fairly easy and they can be very low maintenance. We trim ours occasionally and add some fertilisers twice a week but you don't even have to do that if you don't want.
And plants will help with algae they shouldn't cause it. You might have some problems with too much/not enough light and ferts to start with but then you'd have algae anyway.
It takes a little bit of trial and error to figure out what will grow for you. Sometimes really easy plants will die on you but it's not a disaster if that happens you just take it out and try something else.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me