Calling All Rat Lovers/Owners!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

How Much Do You Love Rats?

I LOVE THEM TO ALL THE GALAXIES AND BACK!
50%
I ADORE THEM!
14%
I love them.
6%
I think they are cute. (Never owned one so I don't know the greatness of them)
30%

Total votes : 545

Re: Calling All Rat Lovers/Owners!

Postby ryukrem » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:51 am

Hello all,

I have recently adopted two beautiful boys from someone in my local area. I had completed heavy research on these beautiful animals before adopting them and feel confident that I know how to take super great care of my boys!

Templeton & Remington (Rem used to be Prince Humperdinck, but I changed it because I have a dog and cat that are both named Prince - don't ask xD) are my eight-month old boys. They are from the same little, so they are brothers and have been together since birth. I have had them for three days now and am absolutely in love with them. It will take time for them to trust me, but they already will take a treat from my hand so we are getting there slowly!! c:

I have always wanted rats growing up, but my parents had always said no. Now that I'm an adult, I convinced them that it is a must. My mother loves them and calls herself their grandma xD My father has no problem with them and calls them "nosy boys" xD

I'm so excited to join this topic and connect with other rat lovers and owners! Thank you for allowing me to join and I can't wait to make some new friends!

ryukrem - lesbian - taken <3

prefer to roleplay off site. pm me.

roleplay search
ryukrem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vein » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:43 am

@trico- your boys are so handsome! I'm happy for you. <:
/
This is Bugaboo, the newest addition. He's an ugly little thing but I adore him.

lee | they |
some sort of creature
i like rats & jellycat plushes
looking for c$ & 2014 egypt starry calf
-
vein

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Topiratti » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:45 am

blog wrote:
/
This is Bugaboo, the newest addition. He's an ugly little thing but I adore him.

he looks like a patchwork hairless or a double rex ratto, so adorbs xD
'
i have 4 nakkids myself, all ladies, 15 rats total :)
[size=150]I've quit CS, tho I'm seeking Birthday date swaps for Shima LongTail, Dragon Cat PPS, Cheshire Cat, dates in pet names
Topiratti

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ryukrem » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:53 am

blog wrote:
/

so handsomeeeee
      what kind of cage do you have?

roleplay search
ryukrem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadyBro » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:08 am

Hey yall, I figured getting answers to this here might be a bit of a stretch, but thought I would try anyways. Has anyone heard anything about using black seed oil as a health supplement for rats? I know everyone is fawning over its use for dogs currently and I'm always up for adding more supplements to my ratties food (I SWEAR by flax seed and flax seed oil btw, I don't pay any mind to the controversy - it literally destroys mammary tumors in a matter of months). I haven't really been able to find much information about the actual benefits of black seed in rats anywhere, just that in lab studies it proved to be perfectly safe to consume regarding kidney and general digestive system function, so I'm posting around. Replies or help looking into it would be much appreciated <3
┏━━━━━━━━━┓ 
─── ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ──

ImageImageImage
✰Toyhouse✰
✰Closed Species✰
✰Trotters✰

ImageImageImage

─── ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ──
┗━━━━━━━━━┛

─- ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ─- ♡ - - ♡ -─ ⋆⋅⋅⋆ -─
ShadyBro

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby claypigeon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:50 pm

ShadyBro wrote:
Hey yall, I figured getting answers to this here might be a bit of a stretch, but thought I would try anyways. Has anyone heard anything about using black seed oil as a health supplement for rats? I know everyone is fawning over its use for dogs currently and I'm always up for adding more supplements to my ratties food (I SWEAR by flax seed and flax seed oil btw, I don't pay any mind to the controversy - it literally destroys mammary tumors in a matter of months). I haven't really been able to find much information about the actual benefits of black seed in rats anywhere, just that in lab studies it proved to be perfectly safe to consume regarding kidney and general digestive system function, so I'm posting around. Replies or help looking into it would be much appreciated <3

Honestly the rat and canine diet is fairly similar except how canines need mainly protein and rats carbs. Id say really just to try it on your own. I always experiment with my pets food ( especially in my pigeons as they are super finicky eaters) and if you know its safe then do it!

On the whole tumour and cancer topic, has anyone seen the studies on dairy and cancer growths? Terrifying!
Its super old, and i stumbled upon it because im vegan and often see these things while researching. They took two cancer free rats, whi's parents had the gene and gave obe a diet with 20% of casien ( milk protein) and one 5%. The 20% one within weeks developed early staged tumours! While the 5% one stayed completely the same. Then, when their diets were switched, the niw cancerious rat was changed from 20% to 5% which caused a reversal of their cancer. Again within weeks thery were cancer free as previously. The 5% one that was switched to 20% as expected developed cancer.

I mean their genes is just one thing, we have found with every species that cancer is greatly influenced by what you eat. So how many rats could be saved from cancer if they were fed better food?

Of course that doesnt necessarily mean vegan, as i feed my dog meat because i know she needs it, but really could rats be vegan? I always wonder what people think about this. When looking on how to keep my future rats healthy ( as my other ones i had a few years ago died from health reasons) and decided maybe to try them not having meat ir dairy products, maybe just the occasional egg from my backyard chickens, the breeder i was looking at said she wouldn't sell them to me if i did this!

Does anyone else have any views on this particular subject, not veganism, but just diet in relation to cancer?

hi!
clay★ she/her
i have many classes, work and no time. ((so please be patient w me !!)
electric guitar connoisseur. dead head and led head
pm me if you need to talk or just want a friend !!
If I owe you an unfinished commission I never did from years ago, which I did often bc I was a horrible little gremlin, please just let me know : )
johnny says stay cool
claypigeon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadyBro » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:23 pm

claypigeon wrote:
ShadyBro wrote:

Honestly the rat and canine diet is fairly similar except how canines need mainly protein and rats carbs. Id say really just to try it on your own. I always experiment with my pets food ( especially in my pigeons as they are super finicky eaters) and if you know its safe then do it!

On the whole tumour and cancer topic, has anyone seen the studies on dairy and cancer growths? Terrifying!
Its super old, and i stumbled upon it because im vegan and often see these things while researching. They took two cancer free rats, whi's parents had the gene and gave obe a diet with 20% of casien ( milk protein) and one 5%. The 20% one within weeks developed early staged tumours! While the 5% one stayed completely the same. Then, when their diets were switched, the niw cancerious rat was changed from 20% to 5% which caused a reversal of their cancer. Again within weeks thery were cancer free as previously. The 5% one that was switched to 20% as expected developed cancer.

I mean their genes is just one thing, we have found with every species that cancer is greatly influenced by what you eat. So how many rats could be saved from cancer if they were fed better food?

Of course that doesnt necessarily mean vegan, as i feed my dog meat because i know she needs it, but really could rats be vegan? I always wonder what people think about this. When looking on how to keep my future rats healthy ( as my other ones i had a few years ago died from health reasons) and decided maybe to try them not having meat ir dairy products, maybe just the occasional egg from my backyard chickens, the breeder i was looking at said she wouldn't sell them to me if i did this!

Does anyone else have any views on this particular subject, not veganism, but just diet in relation to cancer?

Yeah I think I might just go ahead and try it out, I really havent gotten any responses otherwise haha.

On the subject of veganism for pets..no way brother. I myself am a vegetarian and try to limit dairy products but animals like dogs and rats and the like are protein based eaters, short and simple. Even my strictest vegan friends would never think of doing that to their critters. My girlfriend even feeds her dog and occasionally her rats raw lol. Besides, I feed my babes oxbow pellets, and that's a pretty high standing rat food on the small list of commercial feed as far as I know. I would rather stick by that with a few added ingredients and supplements than take out one of the most important parts of their diet. As long as you don't go out of your way to add dairy to their food, there really isn't an issue.
┏━━━━━━━━━┓ 
─── ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ──

ImageImageImage
✰Toyhouse✰
✰Closed Species✰
✰Trotters✰

ImageImageImage

─── ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ──
┗━━━━━━━━━┛

ShadyBro

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kisiel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 am

Topiratti wrote:
blog wrote:
/

he looks like a patchwork hairless or a double rex ratto, so adorbs xD
'
i have 4 nakkids myself, all ladies, 15 rats total :)

It's a shame that people still breed hairless, they have so many health issues that they have been banned in all clubs in the UK. They can't be exhibited at shows and tattered who breed them are not allowed to register.

All of mine are standard coated, although I'd love a Rex at some point in the future
Stay positive.

Kisiel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadyBro » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Does anyone have experience dealing with abscessed teeth in rats? One of my girls has a nasty big abscess on her jaw that's been going back and fourth between golf ball sized to barely noticeable for the past week. My best guess would be a tooth issue due to its placement, and its not drainable from the outside so she would have to be put under to work on it from inside her mouth. Neither I nor my rat vet thought it fair to put such an old rat through dental surgery, but she isn't in pain either (thanks to some really nice pain-killers and her being a total champ about taking her meds) so its been hard trying to decide what to do. Her teeth have begun to misalign from the repeated swelling however, so I am starting to think her time is up if the abscess doesn't go away on its own with the antibiotics soon. I was thinking about getting some xrays at my local vet office but wanted to ask around and see if anyone had their own experiences to share, to see if it would be worth it. I do not have a great local vet when it comes to final decisions - he doesn't see small animals as being 'worth it' and mostly works on farm animals so he has that nasty 'just kill it' mentality (and this is who I would see about having her put down since my experienced rat vet that I use for surgeries and the like is about three hours away), so I wont be taking advice on that from him anytime soon and wanted to rather hear from other actual pet owners to see what others have dealt with in malocclusion.
┏━━━━━━━━━┓ 
─── ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ──

ImageImageImage
✰Toyhouse✰
✰Closed Species✰
✰Trotters✰

ImageImageImage

─── ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ──
┗━━━━━━━━━┛

ShadyBro

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ryukrem » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:57 am

ShadyBro wrote:
Does anyone have experience dealing with abscessed teeth in rats? One of my girls has a nasty big abscess on her jaw that's been going back and fourth between golf ball sized to barely noticeable for the past week. My best guess would be a tooth issue due to its placement, and its not drainable from the outside so she would have to be put under to work on it from inside her mouth. Neither I nor my rat vet thought it fair to put such an old rat through dental surgery, but she isn't in pain either (thanks to some really nice pain-killers and her being a total champ about taking her meds) so its been hard trying to decide what to do. Her teeth have begun to misalign from the repeated swelling however, so I am starting to think her time is up if the abscess doesn't go away on its own with the antibiotics soon. I was thinking about getting some xrays at my local vet office but wanted to ask around and see if anyone had their own experiences to share, to see if it would be worth it. I do not have a great local vet when it comes to final decisions - he doesn't see small animals as being 'worth it' and mostly works on farm animals so he has that nasty 'just kill it' mentality (and this is who I would see about having her put down since my experienced rat vet that I use for surgeries and the like is about three hours away), so I wont be taking advice on that from him anytime soon and wanted to rather hear from other actual pet owners to see what others have dealt with in malocclusion.

My rule of thumb for my rats is if there is something wrong with their teeth that can't be fixed, I will put them down. Mostly because they use their teeth for everything and rats tend to not show any kind of pain. I would suggest talking to your experienced vet and see what their recommendations are.

roleplay search
ryukrem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me