* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Luzien » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:08 am

Ranger of the North wrote:
Bail wrote:
Pyjaks wrote:Oh definitely! I'm sorry if my post seemed sanctimonious or anything, I don't want to seem like I'm calling you impulsive or anything because obviously you're just doing your best in a tough situation!! This thread will always be here for tips and such :>>>

As for advice- the parrots subreddit is a good starting place for basic info like general knowledge, cage recommendations, diet starters, stuff like that! Obviously you can't go too in depth without knowing the type of bird, but it's a starting point if nothing else
You definitely didn't sound sanctimonious! Lol so no need to apologize.

So, I think it's gonna be budgies and up until this moment I didn't even know budgies were parakeets so I guess that proves my level on intelligence when it comes to birds. D: I'm kind of scared to own them because I don't really want birds and I've expressed that several times but it seems like my opinion doesn't matter on this. :(

I probably sound dumb but I read that they have to be tamed. :/ Are you a budgie owner?
I have budgies c: If you have more than one, they should, for the most part, be happy keeping themselves company if you get too busy to hang with them. c:

I don't think you'd have to spend heaps of time and effort on them to get them friendly, or tame them, as just being near you while you go about your home-life should get them used to your company (I don't know how long it would take for them to be 100% comfortable with you, though). So just having their cage in a room that you're in regularly should suffice, if you're too limited on time to give them undivided attention! c:

Also, I've found that giving new budgies a few days to get the hang of things, and then removing all food apart from what you hold out to them, is a pretty reliable way of getting them comfortable with you fairly quickly. c: However, you'll have to make sure you have time to offer food regularly (every half-hour to an hour or so) and keep an eye on their behaviours to ensure they're fed as soon as possible cx

In any case, good luck! If it doesn't fall-through, I really hope they don't cause you too much trouble c: And I'm free to answer questions, if I can, anytime! c:

when you fear to not give them enough attention because you have to much to do and they where pushed on you...your family could help too^^, and they really dont Need to be tamed, you can make them only so tame that they dont fear you when you pull out the trais to clean the cage or make the cage inside clean or give them Food and water....that hould be enough and lots of birds are like this...half tame...as they are two it is a good step already as they are not lonely like some other only birds...

...get them the biggest cage or indoor aviary you can find and have the space for, the bigger the bether, never the round showy cute ones as they are old ones for show not good for birds at all...there are even large corner cages or walk in cages.....you already can find some nice cages-aviary and things needed on Amazon ....and other places you can find some nice2x2x1 like montna cages ....you can buy them nearly everywhere on the world from what i did read...you get them in 1x120x180

Give them enough pearches for each of them, natural wood is bether differnt strenght too what is good for there feet...also changing toys now and then, make the cage interesting, spray them down with a watter bottle each day or atleast every other day because of the feather dust...lok out for the right Food and Mineral and Vitamin for there breed, fresh fruit and vegi, some things to chew like fresh apple tree parts...maybe look if you find an bird vet near you to get them checked out or atleast looked at when you got them and every nw and then a look at them..
there are interesting books how to train them, or feeding, or even how to make the cage more interesting.
Good luck, hope you tell more :)
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:46 pm

My precious african grey passed on a few days ago. :(

He was unwell. But was receiving treatment. When given his medication that night he went into arrest.. and was unable to be revived. I've taken his remains to be cremated. I miss him. So much.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi. » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:51 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss.
:( may he fly in peace freely

I can't even imagine if mine died.
He is a budgie but not just any budgie. He loves me so much and i love him. He wakes me every morning and he even tries to feed me. he wont even let me go any where without him. He's much more then just a budgie. He's everything to me.
Lexi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:39 pm

MoonfallTheFox wrote:My precious african grey passed on a few days ago. :(

He was unwell. But was receiving treatment. When given his medication that night he went into arrest.. and was unable to be revived. I've taken his remains to be cremated. I miss him. So much.
Oh, no! That really sucks. I'm so sorry. :c
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peachyykat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:47 am

hello! i’m a new bird owner, just picked up my little parrotlet from the airport today! his name is otto and he’s so sweet and already stepping up and preening :) just wanted to introduce myself!

since the thing perhaps is to eat flowers and not to be afraid - e.e. cummings

peachyykat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:43 pm

peachyykat wrote:
hello! i’m a new bird owner, just picked up my little parrotlet from the airport today! his name is otto and he’s so sweet and already stepping up and preening :) just wanted to introduce myself!
Hey, welcome along! c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:46 pm

So..i lost my account. And my budgie and other parrot hoards. That took years to complete. Ugh.
Lexi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kaizoku » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:56 pm

Username: Kaizoku
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): 1 harlequin budgie named Gemini!
How long have you had them?: 3 years on Febuary 15th!
What brings you to the bird chat?: I adore birds so it'd be nice to have somewhere to talk about them!

nix ♡ he/him
gaming + anime
medical scientist
need help?
newbie guide & index
Kaizoku

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi. » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:15 pm

Kaizoku wrote:
What brings you to the bird chat?: I adore birds so it'd be nice to have somewhere to talk about them!

Welcome! And what do you mean by harlequin budgie? Is it a half sider or something? :000
Lexi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kaizoku » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Lexi</3 wrote:
Kaizoku wrote:

Welcome! And what do you mean by harlequin budgie? Is it a half sider or something? :000

Usually (?) the harlequin label refers to unusual, mutated pied colours on a budgie! She's not a half sider, though those are interesting! I can try and grab a picture of her to show you, she doesn't have very pronounced general patterns on her wings like other budgies. c:

nix ♡ he/him
gaming + anime
medical scientist
need help?
newbie guide & index
Kaizoku

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups