* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Lexi<3 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:32 am

I've nicknamed my conures.. Now that I've gotten to know them better

Juno - Foot Chomper

Harley - Flesh Stabber

Foot-Chomper and Flesh-Stabber

help me
╔═══════════════════════╗
Hello! Call me Lexi.
Pronouns are she/her
Feel free to trade me<3
I love birds.-- I'm a parakeet breeder with around 30 of them.
Need help with budgies? Ask me. Ive owned them for 7+ years.
soon to be cockatiel breeder

╚═══════════════════════╝

Lexi<3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi<3 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:34 am

Oh oh

Who else gets bird cage ads all over cs when on this forum? xD
╔═══════════════════════╗
Hello! Call me Lexi.
Pronouns are she/her
Feel free to trade me<3
I love birds.-- I'm a parakeet breeder with around 30 of them.
Need help with budgies? Ask me. Ive owned them for 7+ years.
soon to be cockatiel breeder

╚═══════════════════════╝

Lexi<3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darkspawn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:17 pm

Ok so this is gonna be the most irresponsible post I make but nonetheless I have to because I'm inexperienced.

So, today I found out that one of my family members who is notorious for adopting small pets is getting me a late Christmas present. I wouldn't be concerned, due to the fact that my last present from him was a blender, but I overheard my sister saying that I wouldn't like the present and that I would see it as a responsibility. Of course, I asked her if it was a live animal and she stated there are two of them and after more questions I found out its two birds. I have no idea which kind and I've literally never owned a bird before. I'm not a big fan of pets as surprise presents and the only time I've ever handled a bird is my cousins terribly loud one.

I'd prefer not to be literally the worst bird owner in existence so is there any tips I can get? I'll do actual research on them whenever I find out what type they are. I don't really want pets as I'm very busy, but I'm not going to neglect their needs. So what I'm asking is: do certain birds prefer different types of cages? Do they like round cages or square cages? What should and shouldn't a bird eat? Do they need a special diet? Etc. If you could tell me anything from your experience that you wish you knew when you first got birds that would be helpful. Thanks. :(

─────────────────────────
she/her. i like drawing & gaming. my art
darkspawn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nyanine » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:23 pm

Lexi<3 wrote:Oh oh

Who else gets bird cage ads all over cs when on this forum? xD

Yess me! I just got "How to identify these birds! Click here!" and stuff like that
nyanine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:26 pm

Bail wrote:Ok so this is gonna be the most irresponsible post I make but nonetheless I have to because I'm inexperienced.

So, today I found out that one of my family members who is notorious for adopting small pets is getting me a late Christmas present. I wouldn't be concerned, due to the fact that my last present from him was a blender, but I overheard my sister saying that I wouldn't like the present and that I would see it as a responsibility. Of course, I asked her if it was a live animal and she stated there are two of them and after more questions I found out its two birds. I have no idea which kind and I've literally never owned a bird before. I'm not a big fan of pets as surprise presents and the only time I've ever handled a bird is my cousins terribly loud one.

I'd prefer not to be literally the worst bird owner in existence so is there any tips I can get? I'll do actual research on them whenever I find out what type they are. I don't really want pets as I'm very busy, but I'm not going to neglect their needs. So what I'm asking is: do certain birds prefer different types of cages? Do they like round cages or square cages? What should and shouldn't a bird eat? Do they need a special diet? Etc. If you could tell me anything from your experience that you wish you knew when you first got birds that would be helpful. Thanks. :(

Honestly there is way too much info about birds to even start here. Their diets, health needs, food, etc are all very intricate topics that require a lot of research. I feel like of all animals, a bird is the WORST to be impulsively gifted, eapecially if you're a busy person. They're loud and needy and require so, so, SO much time and money and effort. This doesn't sound like a good situation for you or the birds :(
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darkspawn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:32 pm

Pyjaks wrote:Honestly there is way too much info about birds to even start here. Their diets, health needs, food, etc are all very intricate topics that require a lot of research. I feel like of all animals, a bird is the WORST to be impulsively gifted, eapecially if you're a busy person. They're loud and needy and require so, so, SO much time and money and effort. This doesn't sound like a good situation for you or the birds :(

Thanks for the response. When I figure out what kind of bird it is I'll definitely start trying to do a lot of research.
I might even come back here for tips. ^^ Also, don't worry. If I feel as if I can't keep up with their needs I will definitely re-home them and find them an experienced owner, not an impulse buyer.

darkspawn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:35 pm

Oh definitely! I'm sorry if my post seemed sanctimonious or anything, I don't want to seem like I'm calling you impulsive or anything because obviously you're just doing your best in a tough situation!! This thread will always be here for tips and such :>>>

As for advice- the parrots subreddit is a good starting place for basic info like general knowledge, cage recommendations, diet starters, stuff like that! Obviously you can't go too in depth without knowing the type of bird, but it's a starting point if nothing else
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darkspawn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:19 pm

Pyjaks wrote:Oh definitely! I'm sorry if my post seemed sanctimonious or anything, I don't want to seem like I'm calling you impulsive or anything because obviously you're just doing your best in a tough situation!! This thread will always be here for tips and such :>>>

As for advice- the parrots subreddit is a good starting place for basic info like general knowledge, cage recommendations, diet starters, stuff like that! Obviously you can't go too in depth without knowing the type of bird, but it's a starting point if nothing else

You definitely didn't sound sanctimonious! Lol so no need to apologize.

So, I think it's gonna be budgies and up until this moment I didn't even know budgies were parakeets so I guess that proves my level on intelligence when it comes to birds. D: I'm kind of scared to own them because I don't really want birds and I've expressed that several times but it seems like my opinion doesn't matter on this. :(

I probably sound dumb but I read that they have to be tamed. :/ Are you a budgie owner?

darkspawn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:59 pm

Hello guys. Just letting you know that this is my new account. I'll probably quit cs anyway.

Im the one with 2 conures, 20 budgies, and a cockatiel.

-Lexi<3
Lexi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Bail wrote:
Pyjaks wrote:Oh definitely! I'm sorry if my post seemed sanctimonious or anything, I don't want to seem like I'm calling you impulsive or anything because obviously you're just doing your best in a tough situation!! This thread will always be here for tips and such :>>>

You definitely didn't sound sanctimonious! Lol so no need to apologize.

So, I think it's gonna be budgies and up until this moment I didn't even know budgies were parakeets so I guess that proves my level on intelligence when it comes to birds. D: I'm kind of scared to own them because I don't really want birds and I've expressed that several times but it seems like my opinion doesn't matter on this. :(

I probably sound dumb but I read that they have to be tamed. :/ Are you a budgie owner?
I have budgies c: If you have more than one, they should, for the most part, be happy keeping themselves company if you get too busy to hang with them. c:

I don't think you'd have to spend heaps of time and effort on them to get them friendly, or tame them, as just being near you while you go about your home-life should get them used to your company (I don't know how long it would take for them to be 100% comfortable with you, though). So just having their cage in a room that you're in regularly should suffice, if you're too limited on time to give them undivided attention! c:

Also, I've found that giving new budgies a few days to get the hang of things, and then removing all food apart from what you hold out to them, is a pretty reliable way of getting them comfortable with you fairly quickly. c: However, you'll have to make sure you have time to offer food regularly (every half-hour to an hour or so) and keep an eye on their behaviours to ensure they're fed as soon as possible cx

In any case, good luck! If it doesn't fall-through, I really hope they don't cause you too much trouble c: And I'm free to answer questions, if I can, anytime! c:
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me